This blend contains Golden Virginia, Maryland and a little Dark Fired Virginia that gives this blend a profound flavor. Precious Oriental tobacco gives a soft tangy flavor that is complimented by Syrian Latakia.

Notes: The name of this blend probably comes from Edgar Allan Poe's "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket"

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsLatakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.1
beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

This is a thoroughly delightful Virginia-dominated blend enlivened by a judicious amount of Oriental spice. I'm really impressed by the subtlety of the blend and especially by the quality of the sweet and delicious Virginias and the awesome Latakia.

My picture of this blend might have something to do with the well-aged tin I'm puffing from, but I suspect that this is yummy in youth, too. It smokes cool, billows like an old train, smells ok, and has a moreish quality that is causing it to turn to ash rather quickly around here.

If there's a drawback to this blend--and several other reviewers have pointed this out--it is in the subtlety, the lack of 'hey-look-at-me-ishness' that defines it. It's elegant, refined, delicious. But it doesn't stand out from the pack. Maybe that's to its credit in the pipe, but I can't imagine it does much for sales.

Mvardjan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mvardjan (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

A great blend that allow for just the right amount of oriental and latakia. I especially like this when I am moving from smoking an aromatic to something more smoky and natural. 50g tin for $10.95 USD.

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)

UPDATE 9/16/08

Well, despite my initial enthusiasm, this did not make it into my stable of regulars. I still think it's very good, but I've sort of filled the same niche with squadron leader and kensington. I may revisit it again later to see if I'm able to recapture the initial rapture.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Judging by the speed at which I powered through the tin, I think it's safe to say Gordon Pym is well on its way to becoming my number one blend. So why then, if I reach for it more than anything else, would I rate it only three stars instead of four? I suppose the only explanation I can offer is that I'm trying to reserve four star ratings for things which blow my mind in either their complexity or their subtlety... and to me Gordon Pym is neither complex nor subtle. Yet, strangely, if pressed, I would have to admit that's the very reason I love it so much.

While the style may be a bit vague (resting somewhere between an english and a balkan), where flavor is concerned, it's not vague at all. It's remarkably straightforward, completely unpretentious, and totally satisfying. Once lit, the Syrian dominates the beginning of the bowl, then slowly and gradually relents to the Orientals as the smoke progresses to its the end, which always comes too soon. Just thinking about it, I already wish I had some handy right now.

My tin was a bit dry when I opened it... just enough that I considered hydrating it. I'm glad I waited until after the first bowl, though, as it turned out to smoke splendidly right where it was. In general, no matter what packing technique was employed, it required very few relights. Using the Frank Method, I once even had the "charring light" keep it burning until about mid bowl.

I ordered the tin at the same time as a Mastro Beraldi thick-walled chimney shape, and the two serendipitously turned out to be perfectly suited to each other. Pym is still great in other pipes, but to me the Mastro Beraldi/Gordon Pym combo is right up there with Fred and Ginger, Bob and Bing, Abbott and Costello, Jagger and Richards, Getz and Giberto, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Jack and Meg White, etc...

Three VERY ENTHUSIASTIC Stars

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

While this blend does not grab you by the ankles and shake you upside down to get your attention I feel that it is a good blend. It is not very complex but has good flavor and burns very cool and even. I generaly go for blends with more complexity but sometimes I just get in the mood for this and enjoy it. This may be good as an all day smoke for some who would enjoy a medium english blend as a main stay, I like it on occasion.

Update 6-28-11:

I dont know if my palate has developed or the blend has changed but I was sure wrong when I first reviewed this about the complexity. This blend weaves between the turkish and the latakia and the virginia adds a nice sweetness. Lately I have really been enjoying oriental blends and this one sings. I must upgrade this one to 4 stars!

Strong None Detected Overwhelming Extra Strong

William Serad once reviewed this blend in P&T Magazine and called the blend an exemplar. So, I quickly bought a tin and loaded a bowl. I just as quickly unloaded it! I don't know what William was drinking when he smoked old Gordon, but it must have dulled his senses considerably!

Gordon Pymm is, without question, one of the foulest smelling and tasting blends I have ever had the misfortune to put into my pipe. The latakia, which is not of good quality, was overpowering and harsh. Don't know what the other components of the blend were, but I doubt tobacco was involved.

I will say this for Gordon Pymm, if you like to watch the smoke escape from your pipe, this blend will provide plenty of it. Oh, and it is a cool blend...because after the first couple of puffs, you'll just sit and watch your pipe go out. That is when Gordon Pymm is at its best!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A sort of square (or cross ?) cut, mostly medium brown shades with - of course - brighter Virginias and some black flecks - not so many - of the Latakia. The tin smell calls mostly sweet, herbaceus base by the Virginias, with some malty and faintly sourish tones; my nose doesn't detect the tipical Latakia smell easily... a mild EM I would say. This also came quite wet, after six months and more-or-less five bowfuls, it's time to dig into.

GP lights easily and behaves very well, smoking slow and cool, balanced and creamy. The weed is good quality, no doubt.

Regarding the smoke: yes, the typical mild EM where the Latakia is just condimental, leaving the main parts and solos to the Virginias and the Orientals just back with some flowerish notes. I would recall my memories to the EMP of old, but that had more Latakia; or maybe even Highland Targe of old. Got the idea ?

GP is not exactly my cup of tea, and bit a strange fellow for me, giving me some very good feeling but also a sense of boredom. When in the mood for Latakia, then I'm looking for full EM. When I'm there for Virginia, then the place to look for is elsewhere.

Neverthess GP is a very honest EM and I'll consider it as a change of pace.

rexinator26 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rexinator26 (19)

Just opened a tin of this that I purchased on E- Bay (not sure of it's age) but it was fantastic.A pure delight.The aroma from the tin is a light smoky/woody smell, not a strong English.This tobacco is a nice light English that doesn't overpower you,it makes you crave for more and more.It has the right mixture of tobacco's.Reminds me of sitting around a campfire as the burning wood fills the cool night air.A great change of pace from aromatics, or nicotine packed tobacco's.So far I have'nt been disappointed with any Dan Tobacco product.Glad I have more tins of this stashed away.Smokes great in a Savinelli (#320) Author.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not sure if I can add much to the praise of this most pleasingly complex orchestration of fine leaf... No one tobacco dominates. Instead, all complement each other so that the total experience surpasses the sum of it's consituents. A sweet, buttery resonnance is created from the combination of the two Virginia leaves and the distinctive, almost coffee toned Maryland. High notes of the Syrian and Oriental provide a sort of flavor syncopation found only in rare circumstance of blending genius. Presenting a visual montage of earthy colors it makes promise of singular occasion and clarity seldom found in public access. It matters not to me whether this is English or Oriental. In the symphony of tobacco blends, this is Delta Blues as fine as Robert Johnson could ever show us. Clean and even burning from top to bottom, my only regret is in it's ending. Just to be sure, I've put some back to age before I wrote this - just in case demand would prevent my being able to acquire it. Seductive and compliant, it provides satisfaction of a most provocative nature, quickly working it's way into my regular rotation. Counterpoint to the mundane, I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find better. The sublime has a name and that name is Gordon Pym... This is one smooth smoke!

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Smooth Altinok Canadian

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I was given a tin of this blend as a gift and after finishing the last crumbs today(02-09-2004), I am ready to review. Upon opening the tin you are greeted by a very pungent and slightly sweet aroma with no casing detected, this is straight tobac folks. The cut is almost a square cut. Moisture was perfect. Packing is a breeze and lighting was just as easy. Initial flavor was similar to "lakeland" virginia with the orientals and latakia kicking in after the second light. The flavor was borderline English/Balkan, kind of hard to pinpoint with some bowls tasting like a sweeter "scottish" blend. Overall, this was a good to better blend with enough complexity to encourage me to finish the tin. I can't say that I would buy another tin of this, not because I didn't like it, but rather due the preponderonce of excellent blends in this genre. My local tobacconist sells this for $12.50 a tin, too pricey when there are better blends for less. Overall, it burned well, didn't have a tendency to bite, finished with a nice fullness toward the bottom of the bowl with a dry, grey mottled ash left. Also, you can smoke this all day without wearing your tastebuds out. Rating 3.5 points out of 5. Try it, you may like it.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a delicious latakia blend. To me it is interchangeable with Bailey's Balkan and TD Red Virgina Superb. They all are different, but easily acceptable for one another. (To my taste)

To pipestud: I hope you just got a bad tin... I like this one.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Tin Aroma: Sweet and Musky, a good Va/Oriental blend, judging by the 'nose'. Why don't they make 'sweet & musky chicken' instead of boring old 'sweet & sour chicken'?

Physical Characteristics: A nice, short ribbon cut, maybe a 'cross-cut'. A pleasing array of colors, though I do find the top of a tin, upon opening, to be mostly blond pieces. A good shake on it's way to my pouch and all is righted, however. Due to the size of the cut, it packs nicely and easily, but is still large enough not to be in danger of being sucked into the airhole of my pipes, a definate plus! Burns evenly and easily to a salty, granular ash.

Notes:This is uncomplicated, unfussy, and very pleasant. The beginning of the bowl is a very mellow Virginia experience, subtly toned by the Orientals and the sparse Syrian Latakia. There is a vague hint of spiciness, but not so much as to be really noticeable unless you were paying attention to it. As the bowl progresses past the halfway point, the Oriental character becomes somewhat more apparent, but never overpowers the subtly sweet Virginias. This is definately worth smoking all the way to the bottom, as the last few puffs are just about as perfect a Virginia/Oriental balance as one can find.

Verdict: While I have nothing bad at all to say about this tobaccom, there was little to really grip my attention in it. I would definately recommend it as a mellow all-day smoke.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)

One of the tobaccos available from Dan Tobacco. I can find many words for this one - smooth, peaceful, mellow, bland, uninteresting, and vanilla are among them. It isn't a bad tobacco. It's simply a tobacco that I failed to find anything really gripping in. I tried it in a wide variety of pipes, because I liked its smoking characteristics quite well and I was sure that somewhere in my collection there had to be a pipe that would bring out some zing in this blend. Alas, I had no luck - there may be a pipe out there that will make it sing, but I don't have one. It stubbornly insisted on being a quiet, friendly, and utterly nondescript tobacco regardless of puffing style or pipe. This isn't a bad thing entirely, as it would make a nice friendly all-day smoke.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Strong

This is a very good medium English blend, I have to say. I enjoyed it immensely and I usually prefer Cyrian latakia over Syrian. However, that being said, I wholeheartedly recommend this blend to English lovers. It has great flavor, acceptable nic hit, and burns quite well. I probably won't be ordering again, though. There are so many other great English tobaccos that cost less and are equal to or better in quality. Good stuff, though.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

"...cool and gentle smoke" You can believe what's on the top of the tin with this one. The layers of fine base tobaccos complement each other quite well. It is quite "Pym and Proper" as a pipe tobacco. Perhaps not the smoothest out there - but quite enjoyable. Nice pepperiness on the retrohale. The Syrian Latakia flavor note builds through the bowl. Good as a sipper or puffed. 3+*.

Pipe Used: Basket pipe marked Israel BR 35+ years old

Age When Smoked: Unmarked tin recently purchased.

Purchased From: Smokes on Burdick, Kalamazoo, MI

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Vile. I like a Latakia bomb as much as the next guy, but this stuff is terrible...

ProfBryan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfBryan (4)

I understand that personal tastes in tobacco are completely subjective in nature. A person's body chemistry, taste buds, and olfactory senses all come in to play when appreciating or rejecting any tobacco mixture. With that said, in spite of many of the reviews that would suggest otherwise, I absolutely love this tobacco and find it to be a fine, even-burning and pleasant smoke. It makes for a great entrance into English tobaccos.

I stumbled upon this tobacco while trying to locate Butera Pelican tobacco (another somewhat panned and unappreciated blend!). After discovering that Pelican is no longer in production, a few sources told me that I would find GP to be very comparable to Pelican. The sources were correct, much to my satisfaction. I stepped away from pipe smoking for several years, and when I found myself in a position to enjoy the leaf once again, I was pleasantly surprised to find that GP allowed me to enjoy the tastes of my earlier smoking days.

GP is a mild English with enough latakia in the blend to give the smoker a distinct appreciation of the unique flavor it brings to any mixture. I highly recommend GP for those who are interested in venturing into English territory.

How did I manage to not try this little gem for so long? Last time I was at Dan Tobacco's store in Lauenburg, I finally got the idea to test this blend from their sample jars, and immediately decided to buy a tin. To anybody concerned: this blend definitely is still being made and tinned.

Nor is the tin note one that could be replaced by paper or cardboard; it is rather more complex than that. VA and Orient dominate, but the Latakia does make itself felt. I would compare the tin aroma to that of Erinmore Balkan Mixture; it is not something I am otherwise used to, but have learned to accept.

The leaf is a cross-cut mixture with colours ranging from bright to dark brown. Stuffing this blend into a medium-to-large bowl is as easy as it gets--gravity fill, gently top up--; lighting also.

From the outset, there is a noticeable sweetness to the smoke that comes from the VA components and not, as with many other English mixtures, from BC. The Orientals provide a bit of a dry taste, and the Latakia does its job quite well, too. What I had not expected is the level of complexity; throughout the bowlful, there are subtle changes in taste, with the sweetness deepening more and more and in the room note, the Orientals coming more into the foreground.

All that said, this is not one of those "WOW!!!" blends like Dunhill's Nightcap or Gawith's Squadron Leader, but definitely capable of carrying the day as a regular smoke. The maintenance needed is minimal.

For drinks, I'd say this goes with anything, from coffee or tea in the morning all the way to a good Islay Single in the evening. Or a good ale, for that matter.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Gordon Pym... There seems to be two kinds of pipesters, the one that smokes English blends, and uses milder American blends for a change of pace. Then there's the guys that smoke the milder American blends and use English blends for a change of pace. I'm the later. This is where Gordon Pym comes in for me, just right in strength, with fine burn characteristics, and with minimum Latakia flavor ghosting. A pleasure. For what it is, it's first class. 3 stars. My personal rating 2/5

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

This stuff is no longer made and tinned, but you can get the same taste experience by going to any retail store and getting a paper bag. Take the bag and shread it into thin strips. Place the strips in the pipe you like least. Light up and enjoy.

francescopaone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
francescopaone (2)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the perfect blend to enter the English Mixtures wonderful world. Very balanced and gentle. Very good the latakia. The problem is that the taste is very fine and it smokes cool only for the first third of the bowl; then the taste mysteriously disappears and the tobacco suddenly starts to burn hot. Very good only at the first puffs. What a pity!!!!

update: taste lasts for much more than I thought. One more star for its very simple smoking control.

Syrian latakia seems enigmatic to me. If a blender surrounds it with the right constituent parts (Solani 779), it's a nice smooth tasty blend. If a blender does not (Frogmorton - I think it's their Across The Pond blend), it's an odd and sour tasting concoction... IMHO, of course.

Two words strike me while smoking this blend. First, it's a very smooth tobacco that doesn't even provide the slightest tingle on the tongue that could elevate to tongue bite. This is the 30 year old scotch of tobaccos - nice and smooth. Second, and this is more important, is balance. This tobacco seems expertly crafted, with each tobacco not only adding to the whole, but also blended in precisely the right proportions so that none of the individual parts calls attention to itself. This may be one of those rare blends I call "genius blends". It's equal parts sweetness, spice, earthiness and nuttiness. Genius. A nice "set it and forget it" blend to relax with.

So if it's a genius blend, why the 3 stars? Well, I guess I tend to like smooth tobaccos but the ones I love are usually more flavorful. This one misses my rotation by lacking that pizazz I require. But if smooth and well balanced are your key words in a tobacco, this is your manna. Impresssive!

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have gone through one tin of this and I like it a lot. It is a sweet, tangy, creamy tobacco that is not overwhelming. Something to indulge in with a good book.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable

Well at first puffs I thought that the smoke will be a medium quality one and that I will consume this tobacco ocassionally and never buy again. When the overwhelming low quality Latakia has took the principal role on this smoke I was sure that I've made a mistake choosing this tobacco.

The Virginias are nice at flavor. The orientals, if the blend has some, are not detectible, maybe just because of the bad Latakias used in this blend.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

As others have noted, this is an English blend that doesn't wow you with an immediate punch but will absolutely grow on you if you give it half a chance. The blend of the orientals with the Syrian latakia -- backed up by a solid Virginia component -- is truly delicious.

I smoked a recent (2008, I'm assuming) tin and found the contents perfectly moisturized (if not a tad drier than I'm used to). It burns well and, for the smoker, smells divine.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first foray with this blend by DAN tobacco, and it is absolutely excellent. Superb blending craftsmanship. I find the Virginias to be very complex and is just the right balance with the Syrian Latakia and the Orientals. Overall this blend burns very cool and I am quite impressed since many Virginias tend to be on the hotter side. The Syrian Latakia is just the right touch, barely there in the back ground yet comes through much more when you really concentrate.

There is another wonderful quality which I love about this blend. One can really focus on the Virginias, the Latakia, or the Orientals. I am not sure which Orientals are in it, possibly Mahalla. If one chooses, one can step back and enjoy it as a whole or even if you are reading a novel and hardly focusing on the pipe all, this tobacco just hums along in the background. I find not many tobaccos or blends have the ability to do all of the above as effortlessly as this one does. Many I find are demanding for very good reasons in their own perspective. A few are simply too bland and do not offer the satisfaction I am seeking.

I wish I could offer a close recommendation; however, I have not discovered one and I do not think I shall bother trying to find one; futile, unless of course this becomes extinct, as happens far too often in the pipe world especially with the revered blends.

Pack a bowl and enjoy.

Invigilator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Invigilator (14)

Update September 2008

The more I smoke this blend, the more impressed I am by its subtlety, complexity and overall charm. I therefore upgrade my original rating from three stars to the full four.

--------------------

During the recent spell of outlandishly hot weather I found myself casting around for a clean-tasting tobacco that would serve me as an anytime smoke and give flavour and satisfaction. My normal Virginias had all failed the test, tasting either dull or downright rough and offensive. My English blends had similarly fallen by the wayside. Even Burley classics such as Edgeworth Sliced would not do the trick for me, and so out of curiosity I turned to Gordon Pym, a tobacco that I had previously found pleasant but stunningly ordinary. Epiphany!

For whatever reasons, the heat and humidity appeared to have worked an act of magic on this blend. Most noticeable initially was its sweetness, a refreshing, pure cleanness of taste that was in no way cloying. The touch of Syrian Latakia offered a pleasing, mild smokiness to the effect, and then the Orientals joined in, their slight spiciness giving a gentle tingle to the tip of the tongue. There was no further development in the overall flavour, simply a slight gathering of strength towards the end of the bowl, utterly devoid of harshness of any kind and with no excess moisture in the bowl. A pipe cleaner passed through at smoke?s end emerged bone dry and remarkable clean.

Subsequent smokes in a wide variety of different briars all gave the same results and the same degree of smoker satisfaction, leaving me with a clean palate and a happy smile. This is not a great tobacco, but it is one that continues to serve me well in the present sub-tropical conditions. If it works for me, it could work for you too.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

This is a review of an unaged tin right off my tobacconist shelf.

Gordon Pym starts out nice enough, but as things get going, it develops into a most fine English blend you'd ever want to smoke. This is worth a try for the Syrian Latakia alone. I have even smoked this with a sore tongue without fear. Simply perfect! This belongs right next to Squadron Leader and Westminster in my English rotation.

Nooorm's review says the rest I would want to say.

Doc Jake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Jake (23)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm a pretty good fan of Dan tobacco, and this is a straight forward offering from them on a well balanced blend in my opinion. It is not heavy on latakia, and it does burn cool, but it is a little spicy. No one element overrides the others, in comparison to other blends I don't know of any quite as similar. Good for a change of pace blend, or for a light latakia smoke.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Oh man.... this stuff starts like Old Ironsides and turns sweet like Frog Morton... fantastic. Bingo.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance Not the usual cut for an English mixture, this is short and wide. The color spectrum runs the gamut from pale yellows, through tans and reds, to black Aroma: Just the perfect aroma for an English blend, sweet Virginias, spicy Orientals, and smoky leathery Latakia. Packing: Easily packs into medium and large bowls, not tried in small bowls.

Lighting: Takes flame readily, usual char-tamp-relight sequence gets a good coal going.

Initial flavor: Full bodied English mélange of tastes, smooth on the tongue, with good mouth feel. All of the components can be sensed easily by the palate.

Mid-bowl: Burns cool and dry. The flavors are like a musical group; sometimes all together, sometimes in solos or smaller combinations. Wonderful balance of tastes, nothing overwhelms anything else.

Finish: Always finishes too soon for me. Satisfying enough that I don?t need another bowl right away, but the next one is always Gordon Pym.

Summary: Perhaps a bit too full for an all-day smoke (YMMV), but excellent anytime of day or night

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

As the previous reviewer, I'm not sure that I can add much more than what's been said. However, I do find this blend a bit more complex than some of the other reviews. Perhaps just some subtle differences in the processing or the fine quality leaf that is obviously used...I like this blend very much.

I find it softer, "rounder", and generally an inviting smoke. Predominantly, I smoke Virginia Plug and Flake tobaccos and have for the past 35 of my 45 years of pipe smoking. I take a couple of months every year to revisit some of my old favorites... although there are very few left anymore. I do experiment with a few new items on the market and I'm glad I tried this one.

I smoked most of this tin in a 10 panel straight stem billiard type Castello(one of the Pipe and Tobaccos Pipe of the Year pieces)in various settings and at different times of the day. All were pleasurable experiences and I have nothing but positive comments. I do think some aging would prove interesting and perhaps beneficial.

The only thing that would please me more would be for DAN TOBACCO to make this available in a plug!

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)

Gordon Pym is a complex tame beast. I particularly found that some reviewers here nailed the journey through the bowl from start to finish. The Latakia definitely takes a back seat to the orientals about mid bowl and it does pick up some strength and flavor, albeit in a marvelously balanced way. At no time though is there anything typical about this blend. Not typical English, not typical Balkan, not typical anything ... it is IMHO a very unique blend of high quality. I also found the room note to be very subtle and didn't draw complaint.

The overall quality of the tobacco in this blend leads me to believe that the VAs are the same genre as used in Dorisco. The Latakia is soft, understated and creamy just like it is in Torben Danske No.3 and the Orientals, while big, are not harsh as in many of the fine McClelland Oriental blends. I'm amazed at how this blend nailed three favorite elements, without being remotely similar to any of the blends mentioned.

This is a particular go-to blend and has will replace Durbar in my rotation because of its greater complexity and more refined strength.

Cheers, VC

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

This Mottled colored, square cut blend ranges from yellows and tans to browns and dark black. Packs and lights easy, burns clean, even and really cool. At first match the Latakia comes to the fore dominating the aroma. The VA's and Orientals emerge quickly, working in concert with the Latakia, which is very soft, creamy and smokey.

By mid bowl the flavors are full but never too robust. The combination of varitiels work together and the flavors deepen into a wonderful balance. Behaves well with nary a gurgle or bite no matter how fast or hard it's puffed. A unique flavorful blend, not just another latakia based "English".

Hauser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hauser (16)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Opening-Mottled, wonderful full English aroma in the right proportions

Packing-Packs well in all pipes I have tried it in.

Lighting-Two matches and tamp

First Impression-Upon lighting, the Latakia predominates the aroma and the blend burns cool. After the first few puffs, the Virginas and Orientals start to make themselves visible in concert with the Latakia.

Mid Bowl-By mid bowl, this has settled into a wonderful blend of tastes. It?s full but not heavy or overwhelming and completely enjoyable. Everything works in harmony.

Finish-Slightly stronger and even more delicious, this blend gets better as it burns down. Each puff makes me want to take the next and reminds me of why I switched mainly to English tobaccos. It?s full flavored without being heavy. Simply wonderful.

Over all-Ever met someone and knew they would be a friend for life at the same time? That?s what I found with Gordon Pym. I enjoy every time I smoke it. Through out there was never a hint of wetness and it never burned hot.

Blackie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackie (16)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I took the advice of a more seasoned pipe smoker a few years ago, and tried this as a first forray into the world of English tobacco. It was to be the "bridge" that led me into an obsession.

Although GP is not now, nor will it ever again be my favorite English, I have fond memories of this being my first exploration into a new world of tobacco. Sort of like drinking a light beer, then being handed a friendly lager, like Dos Equis. Nothing that ten years later is going to be earth shaking, but at the time was a great introduction. GP is nostaglia and honest, albeit mild, English tobacco flavor. Maybe you had to taste it at the right time in your smoking career for it to have it's rightful place. It is however honest.

This is a nice, rounded English mix. I would go so far as to second the notion that this is, in it's own way, a benchmark of it's type. One that I would not hesitate for a minute to use as an introduction into this genre of tobacco.