A sweet satisfying blend of select Virginias and Black Cavendish flavored with Irish Whiskey to bring a pleasant end to the day.

Notes: A classic mixture of bright Virginia from USA, Africa and Brazil blended with some fermented Black Cavendish. Genuine Irish Whiskey and fresh honey provides this blend an exciting taste and flavor.

BrandVilliger
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.1
marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)

This is a nice broken flake with a good balance of flavor, and a little spice. The casing is not overly sweet, and the whiskey treatment gives it a not unpleasant bite on the tongue. This does not need much rubbing out, and when at the correct humidity lights easily and burns to bottom of the bowl with some tamping and a few relights. I would rate the smoking qualities of this VA as well above average.

The cavendish component of this mixture is very much in the background, which I like for a change. Instead of the cavendish providing the primary flavor component the VA's and whiskey create the main interplay of flavor, and the cavendish fills in the blanks.

This is not a complex smoke, but that is not a bad thing. Not every blend, and especially a VA flake (albeit broken) need's to provide multiple layers of flavor to be enjoyable. What you will get from this is a mild to medium bodied VA flavor with some sweetness from the cavendish and a little nip from the whiskey. It does provide a nice volume of smoke, which give a sense of richness which the blend itself does not have in the flavor department. The experience as a whole is very pleasant, and this is a solid three star (probably 3.5) experience if you enjoy this type of smoke.

I am not getting the nicotine that everyone is talking about. This is mild in all respects, and the strength at best approaches mild/medium status if you smoke a large bowl. If you think this is strong, then you simply have not smoked enough blends to know what a medium or strong blend feels like, or you are very sensitive to nicotine, which is on you and not the blend.

This is very tasty, smokes nice, and is offered at a fair price. Hard to go wrong here, and this would make a great beginners introduction to VA flake style tobaccos, as it is easy to smoke and does not bite.

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo 1/4 bent smooth

Age When Smoked: 1.5 yrs

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great aromatic as aromatics go in my book. I will definitely have to get some more of this if I can find it. The rumor was that the whole 1888 line was going to be discontinued. This is a broken flake in a typical classy European tin presentation.

There is a pungent smell of Virginia and whiskey on the tin note with a whistle of something fruity. The taste is great, particularly if you like your aros lightly topped as I do. The Virginia taste comes through, but this is no lightweight smoke, it has a little body to it that provides a something for the smoker to enjoy rather than just for the pleasure of the passerby.

I think that fans of royal yacht or MacB Dark Twist will enjoy this blend. I actually prefer it over those, but this is in the same park. If I have a complaint about the blend, it is the name and its connotation as a nightcap smoke. It may very well be for others, but I prefer an even heavier bodied strong blend for my nightcaps

If I had to rate this as a nightcap, it would be lower, but rating this for what it is, an aromatic, I highly recommend it.

Similar Blends: Peterson Irish Whisky.

007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
007 (3)

On paper, this Virginia shouldn't work for me, but I'm on my 2nd tin. I'm the sort of smoker who would consider a more apt title for this variety, "Morning Fix" precisely because of its boldness and high nicotine content that others might enjoy just before bed.

Normally I enjoy Virginias that are brighter and more citrus-like, so the rum and honey flavoring (one wonders if its real or artificial) is a strange fit for me as well. It is a mild flavoring, but the mouth feel of the tobacco itself is a bit sharper than expected, but never approaches the bite of an overwhelming latakia. I do, however, have to puff carefully so as not to burn my tongue with a bowl of Late Night, but can smoke it more than twice in one day without a 2nd thought.

This one was a curve-ball for me, and definitely a separate sort of animal than my usual Virginias. It shares a shelf with my Navy Flake varieties for its strength and darker notes.

I would never steer anyone from trying out Villager's tin-o-flavor, Late Night. If the description sounds appealing to you, it might not be exactly what you expected, and that might be a good thing; it certainly widened my horizons for what a Virginia can be.

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This was my first tinned tobacco (generally stick to bulk and the occasional pouch) and it's been in rotation on a regular basis since. It's just flat-out nice, even-smoking, pleasant blend.

I don't usually get a whole lot of the whiskey flavoring, honestly. For me, it was bright Virginia rounded out just a bit with dark Cavendish to create a really balanced blend.

Purchased From: Woody's Smokes and Brews - Cool Springs, TN

Malus Rex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Malus Rex (8)
Strong Extra Strong Full Very Strong

When I've finished laying siege to the makers of Presbyterian, I'm leading my forces straight to Villiger. These monstrous, unwashed heathen have created an aromatic so foul and dark that light cannot escape from the tin.

The burn of tongue bite was so bad from this tobacco that I momentarily thought it was capable of self ignition. The room note became so pungent that I had to wipe my smoking chair with a vinegar solution & let it air dry in the garage for several days. I am aware that tongue bite is a matter of chemistry, and that room note is a matter of preference. That being said, the casing & flavoring on this mixture merely enhances the reaction. My first few bowls out of this tin gave me an unfavorable impression, but I try to finish at least the tin before drawing my full conclusions. When SHE-WHO-MUST-BE-OBEYED, complains of a burning sensation in her nostrils after only a momentary whiff drifted off the back porch...

Heads must roll for this ... the queen has spoken.

Taraban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taraban (9)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Well, indeed, it's a good choice in the late evening, when you're full of Ni and you want just to rest and relax with your pipe. Excelent, sweet, soft, raisin-like Va (there is sth in taste that reminds me Solani Virginia Flake) with just a touch of honey and whisky. When I smoke it I feel sun on my skin.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never been a connoisseur of aromatics flavoured with whisky, rum, etc., so I don't consider myself qualified to offer an in-depth review of this blend. However, I will say that Late Night is the ONLY such blend that I would ever consider smoking regularly. The tobaccos used are of excellent quality, and the topping is subtly applied. No real tongue bite here, unlike my experiences with these kinds of blends in the past.

kidwithgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kidwithgun (10)

Previous reviews seem to capture this blend very well. No prep work necessary. I took this straight out of the tin and found it broken up enough to pack immediately and the moisture level to my liking. Lit well, and had I spent more time packing it properly it would have better stayed lit for me, yet I did set it down a time or two as I was focussed on some writing. Started out a little "green" but like most virginia based blends, developed a more "woody" flavor as it got through the bowl, and the cavendish flavors really began to emerge partially through this development and continued to play a major role to the end. Great taste. Very pleasant room note - which I think deserves a little more credit. Like others have said, while this blend might not blow anyone's mind - its not complicated despite its description, it's a solid blend that deserves a spot somewhere in your regular rotation. I'll go back for more of this for sure.

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Nothing fancy, but a good, easy to smoke blend at a great price. If I had read the description first, I might not have bought it, because I would have expected heavily cased cheap cavendish, but really I can hardly taste the whiskey topping, and there doesn't seem to be that much cavendish. There are some darker strands in this broken flake, but the appearance and taste is Danish mild Virginia. This would be a great blend to take on the road, because it is at perfect smoking moisture (almost dry) right out of the tin, and does not need to be broken up further, though it can be. A very typical mild Danish offering, and though I can't see it blowing anyone away with its brilliance, I could see myself cellaring a few tins since they are just over $5 each, and the user-friendly nature of the blend is a welcome break from my usual Lakeland flakes and plugs. I don't always want to deal with the prep work.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)

When I cracked a tin of this and lit it up, I was immediately surprised that it has not received more attention. This is a very high quality tobacco. It's a bit rough around the edges, perhaps, and gets bitey if it's puffed too hard, but it has excellent VA flavor, nice body, and a pleasant amount of nicotine. I was reminded of Marlin Flake in the mid-tones, but to be honest I think I might like this better, with all due respect. It burns beautifully, and the whiskey topping, though very subtle, intensifies into a delicious background flavor after the mid-bowl point. Maybe the low price point is a factor in some luke-warm reviews I have seen of this stuff. It's a steal at the price, and is better than many much more expensive tobaccos. I recommend it highly!

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Late Night … A coarsely rubbed out flake, medium brown in color with some yellow and dark strands here and there. Judging by the small amount of dark colors, I'd say this blend contains only a small amount of black Cavendish. Tin (50g) aroma is of mostly tobacco, and something else, typical of tobaccos from Denmark.

The moisture content is right on for me, I like my tobacco a bit dry. So I just folder the longer strands and stuffed the bowl, with no additional rub out. Light up is sure and quick, kind of special, for a flake tobacco. Once underway, there is plenty of tasty smoke, more than many Virginias I've tried. Overall mild, dry and completely bite free, with a flavor that reminds me of Sail Yellow (also Danish), only smoother, and a bit higher in nicotine, A tad too mild for my every day smoke but never the less, real nice. I'd say there is probably at least some burley in this mixture, but subdued, with the typical flavor of Danish Virginias being most evident. Overall the best word to describe this blend is “gentle” but still tasty and flavorful, you can mindlessly smoke bowl after bowl, fast or slow and still it stays friendly. I can see this stuff becoming very popular over time, and as of this writhing, a good $$ value. So if this sounds like your kind of smoke, give it a try. 3 stars My personal rating 4/5

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)

This blend is okay for the average smoker. The room note is average to any regular blend i really didnt find any irish whiskey taste or anything that was advertised the nicotine levels did feel a little high however this wasn't a problem at all for me. Also there is a hit of honey in there that i wasn't expecting. All three of these blends smoke completely differently and i would recommend all three they are definitely a great experience for different reasons the Early Day, Mid Day, and Late Night all were worth the price and a try.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This had all the ingredients of being an excellent blend for me. It's a rubbed out flake of quality Danish style Virginias and a little black cavendish. Smokes beautifuly and cool. The Irish whiskey is apparent in the taste and the honey is slightly noticable in the background. I think that flake style smokers will like this a lot. Great for evening enjoyment. My problem is with the nicotene. If you're a fan, this blend will suit you very well. Unfortunately, the N level is too much for me to bear.