Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity. We are proud to offer our 2010 Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, hand blended and aged in pressed cakes to develop natural mellowness. This 2010 blend is made with a special selection of sugary, red-orange Middle Belt flue-cured Virgina from the 2004 crop near Durham. These ripe, sun-dappled leaves, picked at their peak, should age extremely well in the tin.

Notes: Each buying season, we look for tobaccos of exceptional quality and distinctive character. In various combinations, their flavors, aromas, textures contribute to the overall excellence of our products. The leaves of different crops and regions are combined to maintain consistency from year to year. With Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, we treat our discriminating customers to the singular pleasure of a tasting of the very finest in tobaccos of a particular vintage, not worrying about maintaining the flavor and appearance of this product into future years but actually striving instead to present the unique character of a single crop and area. That's what Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco is all about. Happy sampling!

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Packaging100g tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I took a swig of last year's CC at my local pipe club meeting. Very familiar as I have smoked darned near all (I think) of the CC offerings since McClelland's began the famous CC blends almost 20 years ago.

Sweet, mellow Virginia packed with a crop of fine leaf. Never am disappointed by the flavor but always seem to want a bowl of something more powerful right afterwards. If 5100 ever showed up in broken flake form, this would be it.

jeff394 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeff394 (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

This is my first of the Christmas Cheer series, and my only disappointment is that I didn't buy more than I did. This broken flake needs to be rubbed out since the flakes aren't very large, and the tobacco does need some airing out, but the flavor that I get is that of an astounding Virginia.

In the tin, I get the scent of fermenting red wine. A lot of people call it the ketchup/vinegar smell that McClelland VA's are popular for, but red wine was the smell that hit me, and I love it. But smell is subjective. My wife sniffed the tin and claimed to smell pickles. Go figure. The charring light does indeed give off the red wine flavor, but after settling down, I get a sweet and tangy taste on the tongue that is absolutely incredible. I also detect some baking bread thing going on too.

My favorite tobacco is McC's 5100 Red Cake, and Christmas Cheer is similar, but a little stronger in taste. I can't really comment on room note since I smoke out of doors, but the flavor of this tobacco is what keeps me coming back to it. I'll definitely need to stock up on this one.

I love the Christmas Cheer series, though this one, the 2002, and the 2005 are the only ones I've tried. I have an unopened tin of 2007 stashed away. I love how the Christmas Cheers are such pure Virginia from a single area and sometimes a single crop. My sample of the 2010 was gifted to me; otherwise I would not have opened it at this time. Sure, the tobacco itself is 2004 crop, and is nicely aged already, but with a few more years on it...pointless argument. This is a great smoke already. Just buy one tin to smoke and another to age! I can smoke the 2002 (and I do, but try to make what I have left of it last) and get more mellowness, but it is good to try this one newly tinned. Even though it might be a little bit better in a few more years, there are no rough edges now. Fine, pure American Virginia from the masters of fine pure American Virginia, McClelland.

Aomalley27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aomalley27 (4)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm making my way through different tobaccos to sort out what my favorites will be, since I've just gotten back into pipe smoking. Been smoking pipes since 1993, but was more ingrained in cigar smoking these past 15 years. This I picked up, just because I didn't know where to start with the McClelland brand, figured a specialty tin would probably be my best bet. Opening the tin one does get the vinegary/catsuppy aroma people say. The tobacco is quite moist, so some air drying was necessary. However the wait was worth it. This is the most pleasant smoke I have had in some time. Can't quite put my finger on the taste one gets when smoking, but I liken it mostly to butterscotch. It has a velvety/buttery/slightly salty character. Can't really say the room note is pleasant, since I smoked the first bowl outdoors, but the lingering aroma was definitely not overbearing, so I'm gonna say this is definitely tolerable. Can't wait to smoke some more. update smoked another bowl and was just blown away. Gotta change my stars up one, and make this a classic keeper.

cutigers81 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cutigers81 (6)

This is my 5th different Christmas Cheer, and so far my favorite. The tin aroma is intoxicating. Very strong spice smell, like that of cloves. The spiciness comes through the smoke a bit, but mostly what you get is that classic sweet red VA taste that McClelland is so famous for. Maybe just at a higher level due the the superb quality of the leaf. Easily 4* and soon to be cellared by the pound in this house.

gullycanyon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gullycanyon (1)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

The CC 2010 is a disappointment to me. I loved the 2009; some of the best stuff I've smoked, and I re- ordered. The 2010, to me, was OK right after I opened it up, but my over-all feeling is that it has a sourness, an acrid taste, and it leaves a similarly unpleasant odor in the room. I didn't much care for the 2008, either, so I am hoping that the every-two-years pattern kicks in again with the 2011, which I have yet to order. The reviewer who noted difficulty in keeping it lit may need to rub it out more completely and allow it to sit out for a while.

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This is my second McClelland that Iv tried. I can tell this is a very high quality leaf but it is on the lighter side. I prefer Virginia Woods (the only other Mcclelland iv tried so far) because it is a notch stronger and a bit more flavor than cc 2010. With that being said there really isnt anything wrong with CC 2010. Iv experience no bite, it burns evenly and cool. It is very nice. I went ahead and put half of the tin up to age because I had heard all of these age nicely. I would definatly recommend this to someone who started out smoking aromatics and wanted to try a light virginia or needs a break from the ordinary.

DaveA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaveA (4)

This is the first of the Christmas Cheer series I have tried out. I was impressed with the smoke. The much noted ketchup smell is predominant when opening the tin and the tobacco can be a little hard to get going if you don't give it a little air time before loading the pipe. It did not strike me as being as sweet as some Virginia tobacco but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I found it to be a very pleasant smoke that looks like it will age well over time. This is not a smoke that changes in taste througout the bowl, but that wasn't the intent. Finding a tobacco made from one particular year and location gives you a good starting point of comparison with other Virginia tobaccos and adds to the experience. I don't plan to buy more than my one tin a year but could see this becoming a fall tradition.

acyv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acyv (10)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Very nice of McClelland product again. Those people know how to make good tobaccos. Very nice aroma is coming inside of virginia. white to gray ash, not hot, normal to cold smoking and usual ketchup smell upon openning the tin :) . Good job indeed!

kevmo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kevmo (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my first Christmas Cheer. I have smoked other McClellands and found them in general to be good but a little pricey. I won this one at my pipe club Christmas raffle.The tin aroma is somewhat fruity, mostly lemony. As I had heard, it helps to rub this one out and let it dry a while before smoking. I found that it held it's flavor steadily throughout the bowl.I have been smoking a lot of different virginia flakes and this is the best so far. I anticipate even better results as it ages.

golden_wayfarer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
golden_wayfarer (1)

This blend is not quit as zesty as Blackwoods Flake and not quite as full as Dark Star, it's almost perfectly in between. Sweet taste with a pleasant mellow scent. I can't wait to see how it ages.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

McClelland does it right again this year! My tin of 2009 just became better and better with each smoke, and I have no doubt this years blend will do the same. A great Virginia flavor, slightly English, smooth and buttery, with not a hint of casing. Rather than one tin, which I had of 2009, I'll get several of 2010.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading all the recommendations for all the Christmas Cheers I decided to try some of this. I understand this needs to set a while but I wanted to give it a smoke before putting it up. Tobacco in tin smells of ketchup like everyone says. It looks like beef jerky, it's a bit intimidating for us novice pipe smokers. I rolled it around a bit to make it look more tobacco like and loaded up my MM cob. It is a tuff one to keep lit, really tough. I wasn't too thrilled with the flavor, not very strong but didn't dislike it either. I expected more than I got. This is the first tobacco I have tried that created a "crust" in my pipe of burning tobacco. It was a bit odd, almost like there is so much sugar in the mix that it caramelized over the top of the lit tobacco. IMHO the only thing I could detect was a bit of orange. Not thrilled with this blend but look forward in trying it again in a couple of years. Putting it up to age.

12/14/2011 Well have let it sit for a bit, hoping for something special. All I can say about this is "Eh". It is interesting but nothing to write home about.

Wagon25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wagon25 (14)

This is my first Christmas Cheer, and it's exactly what I was hoping it would be. The tin aroma is just okay, but the smoking experience is great. The red-orange Virginia produces a full, thick, naturally-aromatic taste. For a full Virginia there is very little tongue bite. It burns very well. Simple but very rich. This is what a full Virginia is supposed to be.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I gave this a shot. And I was dissapointed. This stuff smells great out of the tin, but When I smoked it after letting it sit for 3 weeks in the tin, it just wasnt what i expected. Practically flavorless. And the smell didnt even come through that well. It was like smoking a cheap cigarette. Could have gotten more flavor out of a White Owl cigar. Ill let it rest till thanksgiving. And then Ill update. But for now I give it 2 stars just because Im hoping for something better later on in the holidays. :(

UPDATE: Thanksgiving brought little new result. I tried different things that I though would make it taste good, but sadly they didnt work. Still a 2. Just sort of tasted like smoke.