A complex mix of subtle aromas inspired by the sweetness of the Virginia leaf.

BrandAmphora
Strength
Taste
2.5
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An even burning, sweet and fruity mixture. Unlike some sweet tobaccos, this one is not sickeningly so. Incredibly enjoyable! A nice change from VaPers. The room note is just as pleasant as the taste. They call it "full aroma" and indeed it is. Some mistake "full" for being strong. It isn't. It's full of flavor, but not strong in the sense that experienced pipe smokers would classify it as a "strong" smoke. Goes well with anything you drink and anything you do. If you like tobacco in this genre, you should like this.

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Amphora Full Aroma is one of the most mistaken blends. It is no aromatic! Maybe a hint of something is added . when I lighi a bowl of it, I taste at first a cigarrish note which dissapear while smokin the first third. From this point I taste almost pure tobacco with a strengh I not expected. I like it. It is a smooth and honest mixture and even a little complex

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a classic tobacco. For me,is somewhat stronger than desired. Slow burning, witch is a good caractheristic. The Cocoa-Chocolate flavour and taste. cannot be scented easily, since the tobacco is strong and surpasses the flavours. Good quality, but recommended for people that need strong mixtures.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

One of the first blends i ever tried and one of the very few imported into Australia. Smokes well and tastes great . Burns down to a fine white ash in any pipe i have smoked it in. I very seldom smoke it now as i can purchase tobaccos online from OS. In saying that its nice to try some every so often. A 50g tin retails here for $45 hence the online shopping.

Pipe Used: Jake Hackert Custom MM Diplomat

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

Purchased From: Port Augusta SA Australia

jonoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonoz (6)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Love everthing about it exept it bites me badly. Had to ditch about 4 packs. I have never seen pipe tobacco cut so fine,maybe thats why it burns quick,hot and bites.If it didn't bite,I would smoke it all day.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was my primary smoke for years when Amphora Red was on sale in every drugstore and grocery. They had coupons back in the day you could send in and get Amphora pipes as well. I have two in inventory I got that way back in the late 70's.

I am posting this from memory since I have not seen Amphora Red for years. This was a tobacco flavored smoke that had a slightly sweet smell in the room. It was not what most people would describe as an aromatic.

My wife liked it. If this were readily available, I would probably be smoking it still and might not have found pipesandcigars.com

I see there is a bulk copy out there that I will give a try - http://pipesandcigars.com/amabupitobyo.html#.UaEZ3xVXaCg

Edit 11/18/13 I got some Amphora Red from a friend, and it is the 3-star rating I remembered. It was a familiar smoke and I enjoyed it a lot. Don't waste your time with the bulk copy. I bought some and gave it away. It was really bad (to my palate) and seemed to have a butterscotch topping.

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

God in heaven, I wish this tobacco was available in the states! This was the single pipe tobacco that kept me loyal to the pipe as a beginner, and I stuck with it religiously until one could not get it anymore. I would always shift to "premium" blends, and tins, but I could never stay away! Loved this stuff! If anyone could help me acquire this again, OR give me an EXCELLENT COPYCAT of Amphora Full, please contact me! Thanks!

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (22)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the few tobaccos that I can find nearly everywhere near where I live. I bought this one for the name "Full Aroma", as I enjoy aromatics with a good room note. It disappointed.

It seemed pretty average or maybe even slightly below average in every regard. The taste was too mild, room note wasn't as nice as I expected either.

It would do in a pinch if I needed some tobacco NOW rather than wait a few days to order something nicer online.

Overall, not bad, definitely smokable, just pretty average.

Got a bit of a sour taste near the end of the bowl, but no harsh biting or anything.

Tudorcfr90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudorcfr90 (4)

I will never forget this because this is the tobacco that started my pipe smoking journey five years ago. The elegant red pack caught my eyes and I was also tempted by the good price. Every time I smoked it I felt an OK strength and not too powerful aroma, mainly berries with a slight of vanilla but only slight. It had a slow burning so I had plenty of time to fully savor it and the room smell was very nice so I was not afraid to smoke this in the presence of non-smokers. A tobacco that will always remain in my memory, a classic.

iipepeii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
iipepeii (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing special. Sometimes I feel a bit roasted nut taste. It has very good smell, but it always attack my tongue when I can't pay enough attention for it. I think Full Aroma name is an overstatement.

CraneSandston Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CraneSandston (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I've been using this tobacco since 1971, and the room aroma was always well received in the USAF barracks day room, and in the control tower where I worked. I do understand that it is an acquired taste, but I've tried so many others....I like Troost also, I guess I'm just a cavendish lover. I recently found a good source, http://www.direct-smokes.com/amphora-red-5-x-50g.php, and can attest to this being the authentic product, from Douwe Egbert, Van Nelle Tabak, Netherlands. It will be mailed from a town in Israel, and it does take 3-4 weeks. I've grown so fond of this smoke that a practical review is difficult, but if you are looking for a slow smoking (rough cut), heavy, full and smooth cavendish tobacco (not much burley) to become accustomed to, I highly recommend this one. Any additional flavorings or treatments of the tobacco are well hidden. I find that it is best smoked in a room or in the forest with minimal air movement. I suggest that you make it special and prepare for it. There is good reason for it being so popular.

Oz Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oz Piper (6)

I am a novice having only been smoking pipes for about 12 months. This was the first pipe tobacco I smoked as it is readliy available here in Australia. It is still a staple in my limited collection. Smells great in the pouch. The ribbon cut packs well and its mokes and tastes great, burns evenly and i've never been bitten by it (and I get through quite a bit of it). One of the best pouch tobacco's available here and we only have a handful to choose from (Borkum Riff, Captain Black and a couple of others) I see it gets some negative feedback, but not from me. I enjoy this and recommend it

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is one of few blends I can find locally. I had to smoke some aromatics before I got my hands on well, "straight" tobaccos.

Smells good in pouch, comes in right moisture. Packs and lights easily. Smokes on the dry side for an aromatic.

Wife loves the smell. Taste (and nicotine) leaves me wanting more though; especially with a name like "Full Aroma".

All in all, it's nothing to write home about but slightly better than most aromatics since it won't bite you that much or leave you with a handful of dottle.

nandrasg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nandrasg (4)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

Not that too promising smell when opening the package, moisture is okay, cut and look is also ok. Lights up nicely, burns evenly trough the bowl, and has a very pleasant mild sweetness without the feel of any artificial aroma. It also has a very nice vanilla flavor that kicks in smoothly every now and then from the background. No bite of course at all. The best I smoked so far of the relatively cheap ones, highly recommended.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I beg to differ from some reviews here... AFA is a great classic and, despite being offeredin a pouch, or called a "Drugstore blend", AFA beats a lot of "prestigious" offerings on the market. Great cut, great aroma, great burning, great taste - dried fruits, vanilla and coco that are not overwhelming, you taste the tobacco as well - and it smokes DRY all the way down. AFA is superior to offereings like Davidoff, Stanwell, WO Larsen. Highly recommended.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

Not too strong and not too mild. Ideal for occasionnal smokers.

Starbase3055 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Starbase3055 (8)

For a brand that calls itself full aroma, I found this to be quite tasteless and a disappointment. As such, not recommended.

amirnader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amirnader (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

On the package it says: "A complex mix of subtle aromas inspired by the sweetness of the Virginia leaf" I expected more flavor from a "FULL AROMA" blend. It was very difficult to notice the flavor. The tobacco burns with good temperature and somewhat evenly. I wouldn't buy another pack.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This baccy may deserve one more star if it only had some taste. I mean, it never burns hot in my opinion, and burns evenly to the bottom of the bowl but it is really lacking in taste & flavour, all of what you expect from an ARO or NL cavendish named FULL AROMA. As the bowl flies away, I can detect a slight but annoying citric taste on my tongue. With this kind of Virginia I think a little more burley, or some Oriental should have helped out. It is an easy one but, even if I'm not an ARO lover, there are many better than this out there...

** I had it cellared in a jar for approx. 1 y 3 m and it hasn't gained that much..

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Ordinary tobac dominated by ordinary Virginia. When too moist this stuff can bite like no other tobacco i have know. You'll literally have bad mouth burns for days. Fortunately it usually comes at the right moisture content but the crappy (sorry, luxury) pouches it comes in dry out very fast so careful rehydration is required if you dont want Satan's breath on your tongue! This stuff is not terrible, but rather, unremarkable instead, therefore not really recommended as there is lots of much better smokes for a similar price. I'll give it two stars.

I should also note that as this is a supermarket staple i have smoked many pouches of this when nothing else was available (or I didnt know any better when i first started with the pipe 10 years ago) so i feel i have some authority speaking on this tobacco.

Dillinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dillinger (3)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

It is another regular tobacco blend, it is not surprising at all nothing remarkeble, no flavor deteced at all to me it is like poor english one with not srtong acceptable and just acceptable room note

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I started my pipesmoking hobby in the late 70's, this blend was readily available here in the U.S. and I smoked it quite often. Now, of course, it is no longer available here, I sure miss it. I have an old empty tin of it here to remind me of those days when I could enjoy this blend. If you can get this tobacco, give it a try, and as you smoke it and hopefully enjoy it, think of the probably thousands of fellow pipesmokers who can not get this wonderful blend and long for it.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the tobacco that piqued my interest in pipes. Many moons ago, my first boss on my first summer job smoked this all day long. It would be decades before I got around to actually trying it. While not the same as I remember, this is still decent. Sort of an orange-chocolate-cherry concoction that smells great.

psmoker202 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
psmoker202 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was introduced to this a couple of years ago by a pipe smoking friend, and was really taken by it. I don't usually like aromatics and was slightly hesitant at first but this is different very little casing could be detected if any, the smell on opening the pouch is delicious chocolate and wild flowers were predominant. The ribbon cut packs well and lights very easily on the second match. I smoke this now regularly as an all day smoke, the price is great 5.50 Euros for 50grams is what I call a bargain. You can puff this hard and still not experience any bite. I have tried many tobaccos over the years but this remains one of my favourites.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I enjoyed this surprisingly well for an aromatic such as it is. I detected a strong coffee or chocolaty taste with a nice sort of burnt barely aroma when exhaled through the nose. A nice mild blend, good for an early afternoon smoke or as a travel pouch. For sure a crowd pleaser.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this due to the totally inadequate selection we have where I live. It is packaged and priced like supermarket tobacco, so I tried this with realistic (read low) expectations. The tobacco doesn't look or smell very exciting either, which kept my expectations low.

My first bowl was a disaster as I packed it too tightly. Tried it again, taking care to pack it loosely, and it worked! Packed loosely, this tobacco smokes very well. I found the flavour to be mild, slightly spicy. The taste is (pleasantly) peppery, with a little sweetness in the background. Quite enjoyable. It is quite "smokey" though, with a fair dose of nicotine. I tasted none of the advertised cocoa or chocolate (which is good, I suppose).

Not much room note, but quite pleasant. It also doesn't linger, and I can smokie it in my office, at work.

Packed loosely, this tobacco smokes easily and cleanly down to the bottom of the bowl.

Although nothing to get excited about, this is a good choice for a beginner, as it is not too strong to overwhelm, but not so weak that one would want to smoke it too quickly. It is also a good crossover for smokers wanting to try something sweet for the first time. A pretty neutral choice, then.

Nothing offensive here, so everyone will find something to like about this blend.

Broken flake of golden Virginia, slightly flavored with hint of chocolate and some floral aroma, nicotine is very mild, the taste is delicious, the smoke is dry and cool with absolutely no bite.

One of the best pipe tobaccos available in pouch format, highly recommended for beginners as well as for veterans.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Revising this review -- after smoking another pouch: downgrade to 1 *, too much tongue burn for a Dutch Cavendish. Only real virtues are cheapness & availability.

I don't know how to describe the Amphora aroma - I can detect mint & chocolate, I think, but there is no obvious single note to me so I will just say - typical Amphora.

I was surprised, though, that with a name like "Full Aroma", the aroma/flavouring was much milder than I expected. No stickiness, room note pleasant & not overwhelming. A little too much Virginia for my personal taste -- I'm a Burley fan. Not as strong as Original Blend. Burns evenly, fairly fast & completely, except (for some reason) in my old Peterson, which leaves a dottle.

Note - the blend I am reviewing was purchased in Canada where it is manufactured under licence, so it could be slightly different from the original manufacturer's version.

Gustaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gustaw (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's cheap, and the price matches it's taste. It happened to be one of my firsts, and I don't regret it. For a beginner it might be good for start, but overall it's overrated

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

This is quite a strong tobacco and unusually...with a strong aroma. From the first puff I knew I was gonna like it. Has a very distinctive smell and taste and because of this reason I believe it could be someones only tobacco for life. Burns ok, nice ash. A little tongue bite. I would suggest pipes with thick walled bowls with this one though. Even when its very dry, it tends to burn hot. Overall, one of my favorites now. From what I hear, I think it is quite underestimated though.

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: No other.

atman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atman (7)

Amphora Full Aroma - a complex mix of subtle aromas inspired by the sweetness of the Virginia leaf.

I tasted this once... don't like aromatic blends.

Bram Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bram (4)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoke this if you like cigarettes. I felt like an air freshner smoking this blend: everyone seemed to be enjoying it but me. Bland taste and hot hot smoke. And the tongue bite...I don't know how so many people rated this above 2 stars. For me, it was like Captain Black Regular without the sweetness.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Definitely not my tobacco type. It has no flavor and for what it cost doesn’t seems to satisfy the minimum requirement. Not recommended tobacco other amphora are wayyy better.

pipe4me Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe4me (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I din't like it at all.I like aromatic blends and this is not for sure.Low quality tobacco.Tongue bite from the middle of the bowl.If you like aromatics don't waste your money.

Pipe Used: briar

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was my favorite blend until it was discontinued. The copies available now are ok but they are not quite as good. It was the wonderful room note of this blend that compelled me to start smoking a pipe. IMHO, it was the best OTC blend ever. Hopefully, someday it will be resurrected.