A complex mix of subtle aromas inspired by the sweetness of the Virginia leaf.

BrandAmphora
Manufactured ByMac Baren
ContentsCavendish, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging50 g Pouch
Strength
Taste

2.7
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The topping has some flowery floralness as well as a deep fruitiness that includes orange and raspberry, the latter being more prominent. There's a little grass, earth citrus and dark fruit from the Virginias. The burley is earthy and nutty with natural sweetness (cocoa and molasses), though the toppings sublimate the last two characteristics of the burley. The Kentucky is woody, little smoky, nutty, and earthy in a minor role. The strength and taste falls just shy of the medium mark. Has a mild nic-hit. The tobacco is ribbon cut with a little broken flake in the mix. It won’t bite even when pushed. Fresh or dried, it burns well with few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. The after taste and room note are very pleasant. An all day smoke with a very cool, smooth, and slight creamy consistent flavors.

The flower topping diminishes a little, while the fruit toppings and tobaccos become a little more obvious when dried. Your personal preference will dictate your preparation.

They call it "full aroma" and indeed it is. Some mistake "full" for being strong. This isn't. It's full of flavor, but not strong in the sense that experienced pipe smokers would classify it as a "strong" smoke. However, the room note is full, and maybe that's what they mean by the description. Goes well with anything you drink and anything you do.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)

One of the first blends i ever tried and one of the very few imported into Australia. Smokes well and tastes great . Burns down to a fine white ash in any pipe i have smoked it in. I very seldom smoke it now as i can purchase tobaccos online from OS. In saying that its nice to try some every so often. A 50g tin retails here for $45 hence the online shopping.

Pipe Used: Jake Hackert Custom MM Diplomat

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

Purchased From: Port Augusta SA Australia

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was my primary smoke for years when Amphora Red was on sale in every drugstore and grocery. They had coupons back in the day you could send in and get Amphora pipes as well. I have two in inventory I got that way back in the late 70's.

I am posting this from memory since I have not seen Amphora Red for years. This was a tobacco flavored smoke that had a slightly sweet smell in the room. It was not what most people would describe as an aromatic.

My wife liked it. If this were readily available, I would probably be smoking it still and might not have found pipesandcigars.com

I see there is a bulk copy out there that I will give a try - http://pipesandcigars.com/amabupitobyo.html#.UaEZ3xVXaCg

Edit 11/18/13 I got some Amphora Red from a friend, and it is the 3-star rating I remembered. It was a familiar smoke and I enjoyed it a lot. Don't waste your time with the bulk copy. I bought some and gave it away. It was really bad (to my palate) and seemed to have a butterscotch topping.

pipey duck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipey duck (21)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Amphora Full Aroma is one of the most mistaken blends. It is no aromatic! Maybe a hint of something is added . when I lighi a bowl of it, I taste at first a cigarrish note which dissapear while smokin the first third. From this point I taste almost pure tobacco with a strengh I not expected. I like it. It is a smooth and honest mixture and even a little complex

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a classic tobacco. For me,is somewhat stronger than desired. Slow burning, witch is a good caractheristic. The Cocoa-Chocolate flavour and taste. cannot be scented easily, since the tobacco is strong and surpasses the flavours. Good quality, but recommended for people that need strong mixtures.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I beg to differ from some reviews here... AFA is a great classic and, despite being offeredin a pouch, or called a "Drugstore blend", AFA beats a lot of "prestigious" offerings on the market. Great cut, great aroma, great burning, great taste - dried fruits, vanilla and coco that are not overwhelming, you taste the tobacco as well - and it smokes DRY all the way down. AFA is superior to offereings like Davidoff, Stanwell, WO Larsen. Highly recommended.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Although long gone, this one is in the memories of a lot of older pipe smokers (of which, unfortunately, I am one). it was my "go to" blend in my youth for two reasons, the aroma was indeed so terrific that it attracted the ladies and the second reason; well, it tasted great! You had the tobacco flavor enhanced with that something extra that Amphora Full Aroma was famous for. I am not sure what the contents really were, but I suspect both Virginia and Burley with the Burley pulling double duty by accepting the enhancements added to the blend. Just delicious and I wish it were still around.

I have wanted to try Amphora Full for some time having never tried before. With its return to the American market, I finally had the opportunity and I wasn’t disappointed. Given the name, I was expecting this to be a very heavily cased OTC aromatic. In the pouch, the tobacco is of a very thin cut and smelled pleasant, but not overpowering and unlike a lot of OTC aro’s it was fairly dry to the touch. It didn’t require much “dry” time and I think that some smokers will be comfortable smoking it straight away. At first light, I didn’t taste any of the chemical taste that I often associate with blends of this genre although I do taste a bit of it in the later stages of the bowl. The Burley leads the way with the Virginias balancing things out nicely. I hardly noticed the Turkish. There is no bite and it didn’t burn hot either. Amphora is sweet, but not cloying. The “fruits” were just right without being overpowering and the Burley has a bit of a chocolate note to it. In rating it in comparison to other OTC aromatics, I believe that this is my favorite, although if one considers Missouri Meerschaum an OTC blend, then I would give the nod to MM as still my favorite OTC. I definitely will keep a pouch of this in my truck for those times when I forget my tobacco! As an OTC definitely four stars.

dubiskubidu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dubiskubidu (1)
Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is simpley nice... There is so much good smoke of it, room note is nice, smokes beautifuly. When it is in my new pipe it is very nice smoking, cool and perfect. I guess I will stay to this one, for a couple of months...

Gives me more good thinking: I feel like I have a pleasant time for writing some novel, or maybe just a short story. It give's me impressions!

Larsen's "Master's Blend" is very similiar with Amphora, but Larsen is too much bite taking, this ones take it easy; nice and cool

Pipe Used: Limited Colors of Hilson, made in Holland

Age When Smoked: 1-3

Purchased From: Gift & Tobacco Shop Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Serbia

Similar Blends: W.O. Larsen Masters Blend.

jonoz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonoz (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Love everything about it except it bites me badly. Had to ditch about 4 packs. I have never seen pipe tobacco cut so fine,maybe that's why it burns quick,hot and bites.If it didn't bite,I would smoke it all day.

Purchased From: www.smoker.co.il/info@smoker.co.il

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

God in heaven, I wish this tobacco was available in the states! This was the single pipe tobacco that kept me loyal to the pipe as a beginner, and I stuck with it religiously until one could not get it anymore. I would always shift to "premium" blends, and tins, but I could never stay away! Loved this stuff! If anyone could help me acquire this again, OR give me an EXCELLENT COPYCAT of Amphora Full, please contact me! Thanks!

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (30)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the few tobaccos that I can find nearly everywhere near where I live. I bought this one for the name "Full Aroma", as I enjoy aromatics with a good room note. It disappointed.

It seemed pretty average or maybe even slightly below average in every regard. The taste was too mild, room note wasn't as nice as I expected either.

It would do in a pinch if I needed some tobacco NOW rather than wait a few days to order something nicer online.

Overall, not bad, definitely smokable, just pretty average.

Got a bit of a sour taste near the end of the bowl, but no harsh biting or anything.

Tudorcfr90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudorcfr90 (4)

I will never forget this because this is the tobacco that started my pipe smoking journey five years ago. The elegant red pack caught my eyes and I was also tempted by the good price. Every time I smoked it I felt an OK strength and not too powerful aroma, mainly berries with a slight of vanilla but only slight. It had a slow burning so I had plenty of time to fully savor it and the room smell was very nice so I was not afraid to smoke this in the presence of non-smokers. A tobacco that will always remain in my memory, a classic.

iipepeii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
iipepeii (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing special. Sometimes I feel a bit roasted nut taste. It has very good smell, but it always attack my tongue when I can't pay enough attention for it. I think Full Aroma name is an overstatement.

CraneSandston Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CraneSandston (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I've been using this tobacco since 1971, and the room aroma was always well received in the USAF barracks day room, and in the control tower where I worked. I do understand that it is an acquired taste, but I've tried so many others....I like Troost also, I guess I'm just a cavendish lover. I recently found a good source, http://www.direct-smokes.com/amphora-red-5-x-50g.php, and can attest to this being the authentic product, from Douwe Egbert, Van Nelle Tabak, Netherlands. It will be mailed from a town in Israel, and it does take 3-4 weeks. I've grown so fond of this smoke that a practical review is difficult, but if you are looking for a slow smoking (rough cut), heavy, full and smooth cavendish tobacco (not much burley) to become accustomed to, I highly recommend this one. Any additional flavorings or treatments of the tobacco are well hidden. I find that it is best smoked in a room or in the forest with minimal air movement. I suggest that you make it special and prepare for it. There is good reason for it being so popular.

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is one of few blends I can find locally. I had to smoke some aromatics before I got my hands on well, "straight" tobaccos.

Smells good in pouch, comes in right moisture. Packs and lights easily. Smokes on the dry side for an aromatic.

Wife loves the smell. Taste (and nicotine) leaves me wanting more though; especially with a name like "Full Aroma".

All in all, it's nothing to write home about but slightly better than most aromatics since it won't bite you that much or leave you with a handful of dottle.

nandrasg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nandrasg (4)
Mild Mild Full Very Pleasant

Not that too promising smell when opening the package, moisture is okay, cut and look is also ok. Lights up nicely, burns evenly trough the bowl, and has a very pleasant mild sweetness without the feel of any artificial aroma. It also has a very nice vanilla flavor that kicks in smoothly every now and then from the background. No bite of course at all. The best I smoked so far of the relatively cheap ones, highly recommended.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (23)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Amphora bring back me to an another time when I have a hard time to find a good tobacco, I combine it with everything, and it is precisely this "red" Amphora I regularly brought from Italy, my neighbor now sadly deceased g. Carnelutti and that day when he arrived with a bag Amphora was a folk festival for me - young pipe smoker this days! But either way I'll try to be objective. At the time when I had I received the gift producing her company Douwe Egberts, and now to see on the bag - manufacturer is Van Neele. Tobacco seems to me that it was the same - it's a rich, aromatic Cavendish, a first when it opens the bag felt the intense smell of chocolate and a little less intense smell of figs that remain present the whole time smoking. Halfway down the pipe to carry the burley which obviously has a lot in a mixture prepared for Cavendish, but there is also a "fruity" notes that it is difficult to determine, perhaps some hazelnut ... They feel that the overtones of oriental tobacco, but only around "at the top of the charts" and of course Virginia to the mix gives the "body" and in a way, from beginning to end smoking holds the last word. It's not light tobacco. It's a nice, rounded mix, Cavendish, not "bite" to the language, but if you are careless risk "nicotine attack"! Otherwise tobacco burns beautifully and evenly, without a hitch is held zeal and remains only a small pile of white ash. In the palate and tongue long after smoking remains its aroma, flavor of chocolate, dried figs and hazelnuts ... Rating 4.5 / 5th These 0.5 for "Madeleine cookies"

Pipe Used: 150

Age When Smoked: 59

Purchased From: Dreier, Graz, Austria

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (45)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

Not too strong and not too mild. Ideal for occasionnal smokers.

Oz Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oz Piper (6)

I am a novice having only been smoking pipes for about 12 months. This was the first pipe tobacco I smoked as it is readliy available here in Australia. It is still a staple in my limited collection. Smells great in the pouch. The ribbon cut packs well and its mokes and tastes great, burns evenly and i've never been bitten by it (and I get through quite a bit of it). One of the best pouch tobacco's available here and we only have a handful to choose from (Borkum Riff, Captain Black and a couple of others) I see it gets some negative feedback, but not from me. I enjoy this and recommend it

Dillinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dillinger (3)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

It is another regular tobacco blend, it is not surprising at all nothing remarkeble, no flavor deteced at all to me it is like poor english one with not srtong acceptable and just acceptable room note

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the tobacco that piqued my interest in pipes. Many moons ago, my first boss on my first summer job smoked this all day long. It would be decades before I got around to actually trying it. While not the same as I remember, this is still decent. Sort of an orange-chocolate-cherry concoction that smells great.

OZ Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OZ Smoker (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I am a new pipe smoker. Well, for the first time in 35 years. I hope I am on track, let me know if I am not. Started off with a local Vanilla Cream Virginia blend from our only real specialist tobacco shop in Melbourne, Alexanders. Yes, and we have 4 million people in our city. But am now on Amphora which I have imported from the US. Still learning how to pack properly. Seems to burn so quickly. Have read "How to pack properly" Pipe tobacco here is outrageusly expensive. We are a nanny state. 50g (2oz) of retail brands is USD 50.00. And we have plain packaging. Kept under lock and key. I hope you guys don't end up like this. I think weed is probably cheaper. Anyway a bit of background from down under. BTW I like Amphora. Still tastes like I remember. What ever happened to Borkum riff ? Cheers.

Pipe Used: Molina

Age When Smoked: do not know. Straight from pouch

Purchased From: Imported from USA

Aro Lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aro Lover (10)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

An excellent European aromatic tobacco. This is not your typical sickly-sweet, goopy, hot-burning, and flavourless American-style aromatic. It's quite dry right out of the pouch with very little propylene glycol, and it burns slowly and coolly down to a grey ash. Due to this dryness, it easily stays lit with very few relights. A very flavourful smoke consisting of cocoa, vanilla, floral, citrus, and a nutty natural tobacco taste. You won't find much sweetness here, but you will find a surprising amount of complexity. Aftertaste is also very good. I regularly smoke Dunhill English blends, and the strength of this tobacco was a pleasant surprise. I would rate nicotine strength somewhere between My Mixture 965 and Nightcap. Room note is also wonderful. You will get many compliments while smoking this.

It's easy on the tongue and is my everyday, all-day smoke. This is by far one of my most favourite blends. I never tire of it. You really can't go wrong with this tobacco. It tastes great, burns slowly and coolly, has a wonderful room note, and it is affordable. Plus it's readily available worldwide. It easily compares in quality and taste to more expensive European aromatics such as Peterson. There's good reason why it's been around for 60+ years. Get some now.

Pipe Used: Half-bent Briar

Kaywoodie Collector Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaywoodie Collector (2)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I received my 2 pouches yesterday, being distrubuted in the USA again, by Macbarren. I will spare everyone the pain of discribing the Virgin that gave birth to Virginas natural sweetness, the cavendish supplied by none other that Lord Cavindish himself, and the red, white and blue burly grown by Cheif Cheepskate Burley, next to his TeePees. And the Alchemist and his minions along with the accounting staff. After 25 years and a number of so called matches, I had given up on finding such a great smoking pleasure. I was sooo full of anticipation... breaking the seal...the note...just as I had remembered. Careful packing, a nice char, and off the the races!!!!....NOT. My pallete was engrossed with a horid taste of bitter rasberry, not even close to the Douwe Egberts formulae. Gone is the thick creamy smoke hinting of chocolate, hazelnut and orange. The tell tale scent of an Amphora smoker. After experienting with several briars, they all were in agreement. Unfortunalty this once fabulous blend is now lost to the ages as are so many others. What an old fool I am, you cant ever go home, as to speak. 20 dollars flushed and the tobac in the trash. I will say that Ive fallen into this trap before, but with less sadening results as this offering is. Wife said...WTF is that??? And how much was it? In my despair I got my all day smoke, Prince Albert. And yes im a verteran piper. Balkans, VaPers, English. 40 years of piping pleasure....untill now. Get yourself some Trout Stream and get with the program!!!!!!!!!!!!! John Lennon was asked about a Beatles reunion....You cant reheat souffle......

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie 7733 apple

Purchased From: I wont bash for supplying this blend

Similar Blends: Lane Limited.....and very Limited, RASBERRY.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Amphora-Full Aroma.

The ribbons look quite chunky. There are a few that are more like broken flakes, being too robust to be ribbons.

I try to label what the misc./other flavours could be and the only thing I can come up with would be coco. It smells quite chocolaty to me.

I find this to be the same situation with the smoke. It's not a massive chocolate note like Bobs Chocolate Flake but again it's a noticeable addition. After the chocolaty taste I can pick out a sort of honey type of sweetness and for me this becomes stronger about halfway through a bowl.

This burns very evenly and consistent but it does seem to smoke pretty quickly. For a long relaxation I'd recommend something else!

The flavour of the blend is well reflected in the room note. This is good too as it's not overly heavy.

Nicotine is just above medium in this, for me. Strong enough to satisfy yet not enough to offend!

To me, this falls slap, band, into the 'okay' category.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson St Patrick's 2014 shape 03

Purchased From: Spainish Tobacconist

Telling it how it is. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Telling it how it is. (73)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of those iconic must-try tobaccos many smokers like and many smokers started their hobby with. And being a true drugstore over the counter blend its readily available in most countries. The price is good and the quality of the used tobaccos, weather you like this blend or not, is good also.

I do not know about its current reincarnation but i am guessing the recipe will not have changed much or any at all, being a perfect example for the new school dutch blends.

The tobacco is easy to be packed an lit and burns without any hassle to an exceptional fine ash. Do not talk with the pipe still in your mouth or dust the vicinity with the fine ashes. But you have to smoke it rather cool and slow or it will develop some tongue bite. If you can manage that then its a nice smooth smoke.

The taste offers some slight vanilla with a hint of citrus fruit and of course the virginia is readily to be tasted. If you have the tongue for it you can make out the wooden aroma of the kentucky as well. It also gives this blend some body and strength so many people noticed in their reviews. I am not certain what the orients do in this blend but i am guessing it offers nice burning properties and maybe the hint of citrus to it.

Aftertaste and room note are rather mild, and of some light spicy sweetness which is not necessarily a bad thing.

This is a nice blend and usually people are not disappointed by it. I give it 4 stars for the fact of being an icon, if this where not the case i would give it 3 stars. This is really something you should give a try to figure if it floats your boat or not. Because if it does you just might have found one of the most hassle free tobaccos around.

Pipe Used: It went trough rotation.

Starbase3055 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Starbase3055 (8)

For a brand that calls itself full aroma, I found this to be quite tasteless and a disappointment. As such, not recommended.

amirnader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
amirnader (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

On the package it says: "A complex mix of subtle aromas inspired by the sweetness of the Virginia leaf" I expected more flavor from a "FULL AROMA" blend. It was very difficult to notice the flavor. The tobacco burns with good temperature and somewhat evenly. I wouldn't buy another pack.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (32)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I was a novice, I heard a lot about Amphoras, and other low end mixtures available in Italy as Classic Forte, or damn Clan, etc... Maybe I was a novice I say, back then..maybe still I can't comprehend what's so special about these kind of mixtures..I do think these are 100% drugstore mixtures. Maybe the leaf here is not bad, maybe the casing is "so subtle, oh so subtle" that You have to be a Pro to recognize a great tobacco...

Anyway, those "grandpa advices" not always are good advices. I find this baccy to be fairly absent. it takes no position, I can't see the complexity.. With Forte at least you know you're smokin cigar leaf, cut into damn fine fine shags as you were smokin some cigarettes, but at least it's straight kentucky..but...here with this Amphora...I don't know what to say.

Sometimes "grandpa advices" rely on a lack of courage and fantasy and this is the case here with this Amphora....I even like Maigret, but doesn't mean I'd smoke damn Gris, for the rest of my life..not recommended, simply because there's nothin special here. But, I repeat, maybe I'm still a novice...

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Ordinary tobac dominated by ordinary Virginia. When too moist this stuff can bite like no other tobacco i have know. You'll literally have bad mouth burns for days. Fortunately it usually comes at the right moisture content but the crappy (sorry, luxury) pouches it comes in dry out very fast so careful rehydration is required if you dont want Satan's breath on your tongue! This stuff is not terrible, but rather, unremarkable instead, therefore not really recommended as there is lots of much better smokes for a similar price. I'll give it two stars.

I should also note that as this is a supermarket staple i have smoked many,many pouches of this when nothing else was available (or I didnt know any better when i first started with the pipe 10 years ago). If your aromatically inclined then consider this a 3 star tobacco.

Later tins appear a bit stronger and better tobacco's. Upping to 3 stars.

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I started my pipesmoking hobby in the late 70's, this blend was readily available here in the U.S. and I smoked it quite often. Now, of course, it is no longer available here, I sure miss it. I have an old empty tin of it here to remind me of those days when I could enjoy this blend on a regular basis. Although I understand that, like many older blends, it just is not the same as it used to be, not nearly as good.

update Now that this blend is available again in the U.S. I purchased a few pouches of this and just as I suspected...not the same old Amphora. Much lighter and sweeter than the original. I will smoke what I have but won't buy again.

Pipe Used: wide variety

psmoker202 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
psmoker202 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was introduced to this a couple of years ago by a pipe smoking friend, and was really taken by it. I don't usually like aromatics and was slightly hesitant at first but this is different very little casing could be detected if any, the smell on opening the pouch is delicious chocolate and wild flowers were predominant. The ribbon cut packs well and lights very easily on the second match. I smoke this now regularly as an all day smoke, the price is great 5.50 Euros for 50grams is what I call a bargain. You can puff this hard and still not experience any bite. I have tried many tobaccos over the years but this remains one of my favourites.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (100)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I enjoyed this surprisingly well for an aromatic such as it is. I detected a strong coffee or chocolaty taste with a nice sort of burnt barely aroma when exhaled through the nose. A nice mild blend, good for an early afternoon smoke or as a travel pouch. For sure a crowd pleaser.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this due to the totally inadequate selection we have where I live. It is packaged and priced like supermarket tobacco, so I tried this with realistic (read low) expectations. The tobacco doesn't look or smell very exciting either, which kept my expectations low.

My first bowl was a disaster as I packed it too tightly. Tried it again, taking care to pack it loosely, and it worked! Packed loosely, this tobacco smokes very well. I found the flavour to be mild, slightly spicy. The taste is (pleasantly) peppery, with a little sweetness in the background. Quite enjoyable. It is quite "smokey" though, with a fair dose of nicotine. I tasted none of the advertised cocoa or chocolate (which is good, I suppose).

Not much room note, but quite pleasant. It also doesn't linger, and I can smokie it in my office, at work.

Packed loosely, this tobacco smokes easily and cleanly down to the bottom of the bowl.

Although nothing to get excited about, this is a good choice for a beginner, as it is not too strong to overwhelm, but not so weak that one would want to smoke it too quickly. It is also a good crossover for smokers wanting to try something sweet for the first time. A pretty neutral choice, then.

Nothing offensive here, so everyone will find something to like about this blend.

Broken flake of golden Virginia, slightly flavored with hint of chocolate and some floral aroma, nicotine is very mild, the taste is delicious, the smoke is dry and cool with absolutely no bite.

One of the best pipe tobaccos available in pouch format, highly recommended for beginners as well as for veterans.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (27)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Revising this review -- after smoking another pouch: downgrade to 1 *, too much tongue burn for a Dutch Cavendish. Only real virtues are cheapness & availability.

I don't know how to describe the Amphora aroma - I can detect mint & chocolate, I think, but there is no obvious single note to me so I will just say - typical Amphora.

I was surprised, though, that with a name like "Full Aroma", the aroma/flavouring was much milder than I expected. No stickiness, room note pleasant & not overwhelming. A little too much Virginia for my personal taste -- I'm a Burley fan. Not as strong as Original Blend. Burns evenly, fairly fast & completely, except (for some reason) in my old Peterson, which leaves a dottle.

Note - the blend I am reviewing was purchased in Canada where it is manufactured under licence, so it could be slightly different from the original manufacturer's version.

Ahmad Othman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ahmad Othman (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For me, this is the par for OTC blends. It is quite beautiful in many ways, that I always consider it a premium blend. From the pouch note, I knew this was special. And when I started packing, the ribbons are large and easy to pack and light.. Almost as a rubbed flake.. It has a welcoming charring flavour of chocolate/cacao and it burns consistently.. Never fades in aroma or flavour..A very pleasant blend indeed, one that I always seek and keep in my rotation. And even my mum said this reminds her of her uncle as he used to smoke it when she was young

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 999

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Local B&M

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I begin all of my reviews with the following disclaimer because me thinks an aromatic guy should more fairly judge aromatics & a natural guy is going to do the same for those blends which lack casings or top notes. But when all is said and done .... personal tastes are well "personal". I've been a dedicated aromatic pipe smoker for 35+ years (although I occasionally like a Vaper or mild Latakia blend for a change of pace). This blend is classified by MacBaren as an aromatic however, it is atypical of most American aromatics as it lacks a significant sweet flavor & savor (aroma). I bought this on a whim and honestly don't believe this blend will qualify for a repeat purchase from me ... unless I'm able to doctor this blend up with some other cased tobaccos to make this more palatable to my liking. Update: I blended AFA with 50% Lane's Black Cavendish (BCA) ... much more to my liking now. However, MB offers a black Cavendish blend so you may not want to bother. As for me, I'll at least use this tobacco instead of discarding it.

Pipe Used: Briars & Meerschaums

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Brandr ODS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brandr ODS (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An easily available, cheap tobacco.

Nice, enjoyable pouch-note that, by the way, I didn’t found in the bowl. The topping is not excessive, I’d say just right. The full character may lay in the Kentucky component in the blend, which is quite detectable both by sight and by taste.

Nice fine cut, easy to pack, light and keep lit. Classical one-match-and-forget. Best savoured if you try to find the balance around the kindling temperature, otherwise it bites quite often.

Distinct room note, but nothing special or particularly enjoyable.

Cheers Everyone, Brandr ODS

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 6mo

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (73)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Update: now available in USA. Ordered a pouch to see if it's as good as I recall. It is: rich flavorful taste; very slightly fruity and cocoa like with a VA/burley smoothness. Fabulous room note. This IMHO is very much like that of olden days. For the other old timers out there this is worth a look.

Started smoking this in 1970 while in college. I am going by memory but this is one that's still fresh. It was a rough cut cavendish. Packed well in any of my cheap pipes. Started out with a bit of something like citrus but in 5 minutes this hit the groove and was a round, not-quite-sweet, smooth smoke for the remainder of the experience. Plenty of the tobacco flavor came through. With just a little care, no bite. 45 years later if I could easily get my hands on it I'd still be smoking it.

Age When Smoked: when fresh

Baki Oztepe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baki Oztepe (10)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one cheap tobacco. As in, it lacks a certain quality that I look for. It says full aroma, but I can hardly call it an aromatic. Yes I admit it reeks of a certain smell of chocolate etc. but it is not pleasant at all. The taste is sour, peppery and not in a good way. If this was the only pipe tobacco remaining in the world, I would not consider smoking it...

Not recommended. Smoke grass instead.

Pipe Used: Briar

artielonsNEW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
artielonsNEW (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Honest fairly full aroma tobacco. Burns well - doesn´t play with spices. A smoke that is satisfying. One of my trusted brands.If your choices are limited, go for this one,

Pipe Used: Wessex, Parker Billiard Rustic

Age When Smoked: Fresh to a week old

Purchased From: R.Kioski; Vantaa, Finland

Similar Blends: Savinelli Aroma.

Gustaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gustaw (5)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's cheap, and the price matches it's taste. It happened to be one of my firsts, and I don't regret it. For a beginner it might be good for start, but overall it's overrated

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

This is quite a strong tobacco and unusually...with a strong aroma. From the first puff I knew I was gonna like it. Has a very distinctive smell and taste and because of this reason I believe it could be someones only tobacco for life. Burns ok, nice ash. A little tongue bite. I would suggest pipes with thick walled bowls with this one though. Even when its very dry, it tends to burn hot. Overall, one of my favorites now. From what I hear, I think it is quite underestimated though.

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: No other.

atman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atman (7)

Amphora Full Aroma - a complex mix of subtle aromas inspired by the sweetness of the Virginia leaf.

I tasted this once... don't like aromatic blends.

Bram Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bram (4)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoke this if you like cigarettes. I felt like an air freshner smoking this blend: everyone seemed to be enjoying it but me. Bland taste and hot hot smoke. And the tongue bite...I don't know how so many people rated this above 2 stars. For me, it was like Captain Black Regular without the sweetness.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (49)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Definitely not my tobacco type. It has no flavor and for what it cost doesn’t seems to satisfy the minimum requirement. Not recommended tobacco other amphora are wayyy better.

pipe4me Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe4me (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I din't like it at all.I like aromatic blends and this is not for sure.Low quality tobacco.Tongue bite from the middle of the bowl.If you like aromatics don't waste your money.

Pipe Used: briar

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (120)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was my favorite blend until it was discontinued. The copies available now are ok but they are not quite as good. It was the wonderful room note of this blend that compelled me to start smoking a pipe. IMHO, it was the best OTC blend ever. Hopefully, someday it will be resurrected.