Bulk packaging. No tin description available.

Notes: Previously blended by Murray's, this tobacco is now blended by Peter Stokkebye and is available as a bulk blended from several tobacconists in the UK.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (29)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this a while ago and remember it well.

It is said on the james barber website that this is a good alternative to condor. I will admit i made a mistake here as i kept comparing it too much to condor and should of evaluated it at its own merit. Which is what i will do here And also how it compares to condor.

Thick flat dark flakes interspersed with flecks of lighter tobacco. I would say this is a dark and stoved virginia flake with added burley to carry the flavours. Rubbing out is quite easy it can take a little more effort but not too much. Filling and lighting the pipe is easy enough. Lighting up you are greeted by a slightly boozy fruity flavour with a little floral for goodmeasure. This tobacco can be a little troublesome it can go out a littke too much for my liking but a little drying soon cures this. All in all in its own merit it is a solid tobacco with nice flavours and once the relight issues have been addressed it is a nice smoke and too me a good old fashioned style tobacco which should suit anyone to the aromatics fan for the casing too the flake enthusiast.

Now its comparisons to condor i can see why it is compared to condor as its flavour is a milder less in your face version of condor. It is very similar although not bang on the head the same. I would say if you are interested in trying condor try this first if you get away with this then condor should pose no issues.

Side by side with condor it is a good match but it just doesnt have that uniqueness that condor has.

Dont get me wrong its a good solid tobacco and very enjoyable, some people may try it and find it better than condor and thats okay we all have our own oppinion, its just that i feel that this should be judged on its own merit.

Irish slices is a good solid dependable baccy with very nice flavours and good burning with a little drying and should be tried at least once if you can. On its own merit its a solid three stars from me

Pipe Used: falcon

Purchased From: james barber website.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I do not usualy smoke flakes or rough shags, (I'm a light aromatic man) finding them too strong and pungent. However,I was drawn to this tobacco by the fantastic smell it had in the jar so I baught some on impulse.

The big flat flake-cakes had a realy good moisture content and feel to them. The smell was of woodsmoke, spiced wine and a more subtle caramel. the overall impression was of fine church incense.

The flakes rubbed out easily and filled well. Had to light it a couple of times to get it burning nicely, then it stayed lit well. the taste was creamy, spicy, and oaklike finished with a slight sweetness. it burnt clean and cool to a grey ash with next to no dottle. There was no bite even when i was drawing fiercely on it to get it fired up.

I was very impressed by this tobbacco, I was expecing to be overwhelmed by taste and strength but it was a lovley medium to full bodied smoke. It goes a long way too the flakes rubbing out loosely to get a nice fill from only a small section of the cake. My only gripe is the Nicotine level is a little on the high side. Buy some you won't be disappointed.

Emil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emil (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is another spot on blend in the field of old fashioned tobacco, which I tend to like. Its so honest and pure. The taste and room notes are fine and robust and remind me of old times, my grandfather and so on.

However I cant ignore the pain its causing my nose when I exhale from it. It´s such a shame, otherwise I would smoke this often.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My understanding is that (before my time) Irish Slices were blended by Murrays. Although that original blend is no longer available, Irish Slices can still be obtained from a few UK tobacconists as a bulk blend which, according to the sticker on the jar at my local B&M, is now produced by Peter Stokkebye.

I have no idea what the original blend was like so I can't draw any comparisons. I can offer my thoughts on the blend you can buy today.

Like the other Murrays flakes I sampled that were taken over by PS, the flakes of Irish Slices are very long, double the length of a Samuel Gawith flake for example. Irish Slices are dark in colour, creating the expectation of a strong smoke with plenty of fire-cured flavour.

In actual fact, I found that there is a good deal of VA tang in the smoke, which only mellows out to typical Kentucky flavours after the half-way mark. Surprisingly, there was so much tang that I actually suffered some bite and mouth irritation for the first few bowls. Although there is a slightly sweet and fruity topping present I don't think that contributed...more likely it was over zealous puffing on my part and perhaps a slight body chemistry issue. Either way, switching pipes and cube cutting the flakes helped to alleviate this problem.

Irish Slices are strong, but not as punishing as my favourite rope tobacco. They are also not quite as flavoursome as I expected, and for that reason I have to rank them accordingly.

Somewhat recommended, as although this is a decent tobacco it didn't quite live up to my expectations in terms of flavour and smoothness. I eagerly await popping the seal on my first tin of Peterson's Irish Flake, which I hope will compare favourably and perhaps deliver a similar overall experience to Irish Slices but with a bit more flavour and 'smokeability'.

By all means try this solid blend, but perhaps hold back on any large orders until you have tried it and are sure it's one for you.

Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I found this very pleasing making me feel very satisfied indeed ! I will highly recommend this as the flavour is lovely and sumptuous .It is a pleasure right from rubbing it to smoking it ! I will have this again for sure . I cannot speak highly enough of this beautiful tobacco and I strongly implore you to get some !!