Mild, golden Virginias, that possesses a naturally high sweetness, are mixed with a mild black cavendish. A fresh flavor of exotic fruits and a touch of bourbon vanilla is added to make this an extraordinarily mild blend.

BrandTorben Dansk
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringBourbon, Fruit / Citrus, Vanilla
Strength
Taste

Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Oh my...what an aromatic, and that's aromatic with a capital A. This is the sweetest blend I have ever tried and certainly one of the most unique. It is not goopy or gunky, just plain sweet. I smoked a whole tin in just three days because it was so different.

Having said the above, I will never purchase this blend again. Once was enough. I personally enjoy pipe tobacco that tastes like tobacco. Blue Note is cotton candy disguised as tobacco.

Aromatic fans, listen up. This will be your creme' de la creme'! Don't let Sherlock taste it though, he'd turn over in his grave!

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The smell is great when you open the pouch or tin, and the people around you love it when you smoke it. Of course, that's not a reason to buy this, so here's your reason to consider it: it's a strong aromatic with a multiplicity of flavors in it. The grassy, citrus sweet Virginias are of high quality and form the base of the blend. The toppings have a nice fruitiness, and the bourbon taste is not overwhelming. The vanilla topping has some depth, though it's mildly applied, and works well with the vanilla from the sugary black cavendish. The coconut topping is mild, but always noticeable. The topping do sublimate the tobaccos a bit, but you will still observe them in the background. The nic-hit is mild. Burns at a moderate pace with a cool, clean, creamy sweet consistent flavor. Has no harsh spots or weakening of taste. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Needs an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant and lingering after taste and room note. Not quite an all day smoke, but one that may bear repeating during the day. A different twist in the aro genre.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

Ya can't go wrong with Dan Tobacco. This isn't just a review of Blue Note but all their blends in general. I am primarily a non aromatic smoker as I love the natural taste of tobacco but every now and then everyone needs a change of pace. This is where Blue Note, Black Velvet and DaVinci come in. They give an excellent flavor where the tin aroma actually translates to taste. So far in my 4 year search Dan produces some of the finest Aromatics(along with Sillem's Back...both German.) they also have some delicious English blends. So if you're an English kinda guy lookin for a good aromatic. Ya can't go wrong with Dan Tonacco. Every blend I've tried thus far is a hands down 4 stars!

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin of this due to all the favorable reviews. I don't know what other people were smoking, but it couldn't have been this Blue Note.

This tobacco has zero tobacco taste or smell. It burns hot. There is a vague smell and taste of fruity boiled sweets, but otherwise this thing is so mild it's like smoking fresh air with a slight fruity taste.

By all means try this 'tobacco' (I hesitate to call it that because apart from looking at it in the tin, there's no actual smell or taste of tobacco), but why not save some money and just buy a tin of boiled sweets and suck fresh air through your pipe - you'll get the same result and save a lot of money.

barefootdesigns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
barefootdesigns (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, I've never considered myself a connoisseur of tobaccos, just a smoker who enjoys rich aromatics. I love Sutliff's Molto Dolce and Lane's Black Raspberry in particular. I'm a solid Cavendish lover with no particular liking for Virginias and a dislike of most burleys--except the ones I grow myself. I bought several tins in a combination "try them" sale and absolutely loved this one. Usually I stay away from anything that indicates it has a citrus content because they always smoke hot for me, but not this one. The taste is enticing and almost as pleasant as the smell, which is divine. I can't really say why I love this blend, just that I do. It's different from all the others and kept drawing me to it until I hit the bottom of the tin. Must have more. It's habit forming in the best way I know. Hot smoking? No, not at all. Burns well and leaves a clean ash with no wetness.

Pipe Used: Masterson freehand volcano and others

Similar Blends: Nothing else I've ever tasted..

Tobacco_Noob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco_Noob (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My favorite aromatic blend. It has a faint but noticeable tobacco flavor instead of the "dry air" most people experience with aromatics. The room note is AMAZING. Vanilla, coconut, custard, bourbon whisky. This is a great aromatic that every pipe smoker should try at least once. A great example of what an aromatic can be.

Pipe Used: MM "Washington" Cobb, CAO Meerschaum

Purchased From: Briar Shoppe (bulk)

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

ORIGINAL 1/25/2007~ I love this Stuff!!!!!! Blue Note has a distinctive aroma and taste that are hard for me to describe without just saying "FANTASTIC". And I'll use my wife's description for its tin note, "Smells like Fig Newtons." Yeah but it smokes like a dream! Treat it nicely and you'll fall in love with it too!

UPDATE 10/22/2008~I think my pallette has matured, Ino longer find this to be as phenomonal as in the past.I still love the smell and taste, but for some reason the quality between tins is horribly varied, this one bites like a rabid goat. I'm docking it a star. If you only smoke aromatics, still give it a shot.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A very smokable aromatic. For some reason the German/Danish tobacco blenders can make a tobacco that has pleasant aromas and don't taste like sour/bitter Burley like our US blenders. This one tastes and smells like vanilla & coconut with a hint of citrus while still tasting like a quality tobacco. There are some similarities to Petersons Connoisseurs Choice, however, I feel BN is smoother and without any bite. I may not smoke a lot of this tobacco, but I will keep some around for a change of pace.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is it! This is the aromatic you have been looking for! This here tobacco will appeal to the non-aromatic smoker. It's the ONLY aromatic that I've found where the smell actually translates to taste. It's wonderful! I find it to be a great morning smoke, as I reach for it 7 days a week. Of course, it did take some time before I was truly blown away, it kinda creeps up on you and then becomes positively addicting. It's nothing like all the other countless aromatic tobaccos I have tried before, this actually tastes like tobacco. So if you, like me, have been wanting to find a good aromatic to throw into your rotation, than look no further. Essential.

Edit 9-17-16 I bought a pound of this stuff in early 2010 and I'm just now finishing it. I took a couple of years off from smoking Blue Note but now that I've made my rounds and have tried hundreds and hundreds of different blends I have built up an even higher appreciation for it. This stuff is gold! And it ages very well and the top note holds. I can't say enough good things about this blend! It really satisfies my nicotine cravings as well.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Well if you were looking for the perfect Aro YOU WILL BE THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not a big Aro smoker for different reasons,that being said Blue Note is a fantastic aromatic. The tin aroma is so sweet/alcohol like reminds me of Mogan David wine, The interesting thing is the flavor holds through the entire bowl. It has a good tobacco flavor and sweetness at the bottom of the bowl,It smokes dry for entire bowl but the ash is dark I smoked two bowls in the same pipe (Ascorti 3/4 bent) to see if there is any ghosting going on. Going to fill it with McCLELLAND #5110 Dark English Full and see how it does be back...................shortly!.........Back and //wow except for moisture in the heel (3- bowls in a row gave no time to dry out.... one of the best Aro's I've ever smoked holds it's flavor well and when that diminishes your left with a good tobacco flavor. The moisture content is low and it tasted wonderful. I've smoked a lot of Aro"s in my like and the thing that is amazing VS. American Aro's is how fast they lose there flavor and how wet they get at the bottom. Blue Note leaves a dry heel and a flavor that holds thru 3/4 of the bowl and then the good tobacco flavor comes through. An amazing trip, I've been let down by the American style that so I was nervous to try this . So I waited 6 yrs to pop the top, I wish I had done it sooner! If all Aro's smoked like this I would be mostly an Aro smoker. Imagine here in America the blend in the jar tasting just like it smells thru most of the bowl and at the end, a clean dry pipe! Wow wouldn't that be nice, well here you get that quality smoke! If only all tobaccos were of this of this quality, this is very a rare blend, fantastic! I hope you pick up a tin and see for yourself. Pick some up and fire up a bowl and enjoy the journey!

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The tin aroma of this blend is absolutely amazing. Packs and lights with ease, probably the best room note available today.

The only draw back is this blend can bite, and I mean horrible. I tend to be a fast smoker anyway, and any blend with VA can bite me to a certain degree. This blend does however mellow out with age and dry time.

If you want to be the center of attention, pack your pipe with this. I have quite a few 8oz bags cellared for the last few years, and it is only getting better!

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I have had Blue Note years ago but recently bought some more. I smoke aromatics along with VA and Latakia. This is a really good blend but I think my taste buds have changed because this is really sweet. I mean icing dripping sweet. The room note is fantastic. I need to buy some more Honey Dew and see if that one also has become too sweet for me. I think I will like this blend more in the summertime. I have 2 ounces to like because that is what I bought. I am not going into the description. Like other reviewers this helps me keep track of the ones I have tried. I would give this one a shot, it is a more natural aromatic as I heard one reviewer describe.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Similar Blends: Honey Dew.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I love this tobacco. It has a niuce full flavor and does not need to much mixing (e.g. cube cut burley/5 brothers). The taste is better than the tin aroma. However, the tin aroma is not bad. I've like just about everything from this blender so far.

Davetopay2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay2 (16)

Let's revisit a tobacco and a category of tobacco I have avoided for a couple years since I first encountered it. Torben Dansk Blue Note.

This was a tin I had popped open and sampled from two or three years ago, wasn't moved to finish it and let it languish in the back of the cabinet. No reason, it just did.

These days, it isn't as heavily scented in the tin, but more of the natural tobacco note comes through on the nose. This is backed up by the coconut, vanilla and touch of fruit Blue Note is known for. Moisture level is now PERFECT. As others have mentioned, the leaf is in a variety of cuts, ribbon, broken flake, shards....for lack of a better term, and it packs and lights easily. No fuss.

On first light as an aromatic, of course you get a decent shot of the topping, but pay attention as BN is about to shift gears and hit a big tangy red va note. As you sip and puff along all the different va notes come and go, the vanilla/coconut flavor and aroma sometimes shows up as a flavor, sometimes shows as an aroma floating around your head.

The best smoking happens when you keep it on the threshold of going out, then taking a few sip with some side draft. Just when you think it has become a mid-bowl dud and stopped changing flavors, boom. It's starts eveloving again.

DGT works in this case, which isn't always a good idea with an aromatic blend and speaks to the quality of the tobaccos used to make this blend.

BN smokes dry and clean, especially for an aromatic. It hasn't gotten the gurgles, and leaves no nasty goo in your pipe.

I am having a really hard time deciding how to rate this. I want to give it a solid four star rating when competing in the aromatic arena, but if you were to put it up against a straight aged va, it would be a little lacking. In that case, I would like rate it a solid three.....

Closing comments.....recommended. Pairs so well with a good cup of black coffee and has a gentle yet assertive nic hit making for a great breakfast smoke. Sweet, and dessert like enough to be an evening after dinner smoke which will please your company with a classy, room note which makes folks want to tell you how much the love the smell of a good pipe.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 316KS

Age When Smoked: 5+ years

Purchased From: Unknown

Similar Blends: Larsen no.80, Milonga.

saimis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
saimis (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Wife was complaining about Petersons smell after smoke in the room, so I wanted to try something nicer for home. This really smells nice when smoked. Easy on the tongue, very mild taste. I could call it light tobacco. Really liked it, will buy another can for sure.

Pipe Used: FloggleWerks Dwarf Barrel

Purchased From: Skonis ir Kvapas

Chr1st0sm1t Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chr1st0sm1t (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Found a tin of this lying forlornly on a back shelf in a tobacconist in Johannesburg and it being a total unknown snapped it up. And a good snap it was...for an aromatic. The tin smell is probably the best I ever smelled: chocolaty sweet, caramel, fudge, almost an ice cream smell. The initial taste is not far from the tin aroma, which is quite nice for an aromatic. A rich sweetness, not a candy sweetness. Again chocolate and almost a cappuccino taste dominates. Unfortunately like most aromatics, the taste wanes towards the second half of the bowl, but never turns rank or sour. Room note is such that my wife chided me from the kitchen for not making her a cup of hot chocolate as well! :-) Overall I'm not such an aromatic fan anymore, but for an early morning light smoke with my morning coffee this is not bad at all. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson, Falcon

Purchased From: The Smoker's Den

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (38)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

While this blend only has Virginia listed without any Burley it is a surprisingly smooth non-irritating mild but flavorful smoke. And that just about covers it. Blue Note smells wonderful in the pouch (I purchased it from bulk)and as you smoke it. The tobacco taste is very muted so I can see why some would shun this. However it is there in a nice pleasant way coated in a mild but rich sweet but hard to identify flavoring. I experience no tongue bite with this aromatic tobacco. It's a very nice, mild, unobtrusive and friendly tobacco that is nice to gently puff away on while driving. Recommended.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

a danish aromatic it best. its an important key point because if you cannoy tollerate their stay then you better off from this paricular tobacco.the tobacco smell reminds my of sail green however the casing is way more better with hints of fruity sweetness. mixed cut between shag ribbon coarss and flake cut which reminds you of the variety you might note in cube blend. if packed lightly it smokes very good..pack it tight and you will have a draw difficulty on one point. the taste is magnificent like an enhanced copy of sail, sir walter raleigh aromatic and cube! take fires perfectly and burns evenly with minimum left overs..the room note is pleasent. a bit on the pricy tag but if you enjoy danish aromatic i recommend this blend.

BronxBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BronxBriar (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Just had it for the first time. Found it to be a wonderful morning or all day smoke. Nice even burn, white ash, dry. Nice balanced taste.

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)

This aromatic is an ode to subtlety, beginners who prefer really sweet blends will have a hard time in order to appreciate the true character from this blend, it has a very complex and limited palette of flavours that require certain expertise and disposition to get. It is very "jazzy", that is subtle.

I read somewhere that "Blue note" was made as a tribute to the famous jazz club in New York, the person said that it was mainly a sensuous re-enactment from the place, the general jazzy atmosphere, the odour and sensation from the leather furniture, the warmness and the coolness altogether, the blue note... I think i can imagine all this while i smoked this blend, it does have all those nuances and its intriguing.

It all starts as a timid note flat and constant of virginia and as it gains intensity the musicality from this smoke tunes in. An aroma of leather and soft bourbon takes in, the band is now developing the jam, tobacco dominates above the aromatic and it just varies the intensity from virginia, moderated by the bass lines from the cavendish. At times a little vanilla note jumps in very vaguely adorning the trumpet lines from the domminating virginia, sips from bourbon as you sit and contemplate. The band is in full digression till the mid of the pipe, jamming hard, drums kick in, wildness in the air. Intensity is moderate.

The last quarter is where there is more aromatic approach, a lot more into smoothness, clarinet submerges you into volutes of blue smoke and the atmosphere in your palate receives all the most intensity from vanilla and bourbon, a little citric which remits to general coolness, a little sweetness wall of flavour and virginia strength. You get in, youre seduced by the rhythm, it is endulging and appetizing, it maintains this cadence until it finishes.

Very interesting smoke. Truly complex and mysterious. The flavour is certainly undetermined even though you can detect the components, but the trick is to find the "atmosphere" it creates, the whole blend flavour which sums up the "blue note". Recommended.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Pigalle

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This stuff is not for diabetics. It isn't goopy or artificial tasting but it is sweeeeeet. This one of those mixtures that you take with you to visit in-laws. You can smoke it on the patio and the fragrance that will somehow waft into the house will actually draw compliments.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

oh man...well, its sweet, I give it that. And the room note is fantastic. Otherwise there isn't much good to say about this. Its like if twinkies were a pipe tobacco.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Try as I might, I just can’t find a happy medium with this blend. I dried it, smoked it right from the tin, tried different sized bowls, packed it both loose and firm and took my time with each bowl. Careful or carefree, the results were the same. Blue Note just doesn’t have enough flavor for me. From charring light to the bottom of the bowl, any amount of flavor was fleeting at best. At a gentle sip, I found subtle hints of coconut, fruit & vanilla with a flash of booze, but these flavors came across as minuscule blips hidden within vast amounts of sweet smelling, vapid smoke. Dan Tobacco describes Blue Note as an “extraordinarily mild blend.” Without a doubt, a most spot-on & honest description. Anyway, Blue Note does create an excellent room-note. I just wish there was more to taste.

Selly501USA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selly501USA (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Fantastically good room note, a tobacco to impress/please others with. Splendid tin aroma, hard to keep lit, even after 15 minutes of drying. What I got from it was what I've found in many of the Pipeworks & Wilke blends, a very rich but subtle tobacco flavor in the low end of the registry with a light fruity casing furnishing the top note. The bourbon spike comes and goes in an interesting way, providing a bit of heat to the citrus and vanilla flavors. Did indeed locate something akin to coconut from time to time. I wanted to like it more than I did, but as has been said, it's quite good and one I hope everyone interested in aromatics would try and enjoy.

Pipe Used: MM Cob, Venturi pyrolitic graphite, Bruken briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Similar Blends: CAO Moontrance, Peterson Connoisseur's Choice.

cjone107 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cjone107 (18)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm very disappointed in this blend. I hear so many great things about it, but I get very little taste or smell out of it. The tin smell adds insult to injury - as it smells like the best tobacco ever. Unfortunately, in the pipe it does not deliver. It tastes like a weak aromatic, but doesn't smell like anything but smoke.

Pipe Used: Luxor No 2-17, Misourri Meerschaum Legend

Purchased From: Mars C&P

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Popped this tin a week ago and after 5 or so bowls I've made up my mind that it's good but I can't dig it like some other aros. The tin note is a fruit explosion... almost a bubblegum aroma. Not a bad thing I guess. If you're into that then rock n roll (reminds me of the first whiff when busting open a box of Fruit Loops and jamming my head in the bag - I'm ok with admitting that I do that). Smoking this is nice... fruity... sometimes someone sprinkles a little pepper on my fruit. The reason for two stars is I thought this blend was pretty high maintenance. Packed too tight and it burns hotter than the blazes of hell and damnation itself (stole that line from Back to the Future III) and bites like crazy. Packed too loose and I have to puff like a hypoxic maniac to keep it lit. Tried this in three different sized bowls but can't get this one right yet although I really want to. Every once in a while I get a nice taste but then it goes away and I'm fussing like a first time parent that brought their newborn to a fancy restaurant (been there, done that, got a t-shirt). Gets a bit more care-free after the first half of the bowl. I'm not ready to give up on this blend yet... it does taste great. Until I figure Blue Note out, I'll stick to only two stars and one tin for now.

Pipe Used: Leonessa Volcano, Bjarne Viking Classic, cob

pipes_and_whisky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipes_and_whisky (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Been smokin' around 2 years. Really like this. Burns well. Only a very slight tongue bite if smoked fast. Great room note and flavour. Only tried one other Dan tobacco and that was Sweet Honeydew. Loved that but it gave me serious tongue bite. No problems with this one.

Pipe Used: Corn cob and briar

onurturker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onurturker (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Burns well and if smoked fast there is so much tonque bite.It is for pipe smokers who fans of aromatic tobaccos and it comes like as a torture for pure tobacco lovers

Armac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armac (10)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have to admit I'm not an aromatic smoker though I have tried many over the years. I smoke primarily Virginia, Burley, or Virginia-Burley blends and occasionally, a Balkan or English. Having said that, I find this tobacco exceptional as an aromatic. It's primarily a broken flake with a Virginia base. There is some ribbon and some wider pieces. The taste is tobacco and the room note piquent and sweet, though not "in your face" as some aromatics are. The fruitiness is not pronounced nor is the bourbon vanilla but both are there. If you're an aromatic smoker or even if not, you should try this. Recommended.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

The aroma from the pouch (I bought mine from a tobacconist's jar) is delicious-- a strong sweet fruity aroma. I would like to try this out of a tin when I get the chance. This burned extremely well--a charring light and then one more light--it burned slowly and evenly right to the bottom. I enjoyed the taste--lot's of citrus and a little sweet, but not too sweet. The citrus flavor definitely dominates, but the Virginias and the Black Cavendish come through as well. The Bourbon flavor comes through too (I would have appreciated even a little more of this). It's not very complex, however; the taste stayed pretty much the same throughout the bowl. It's just a good quality smoking experience, very relaxing, and the room note is quite nice. One of the few aromatic tobaccos I can actually smell in the air while smoking it. It bites the tongue a wee bit during smoking, especially if pushed (and it burns so well it doesn't need to be pushed!), but this doesn't last long after completion of the bowl. One could drink soda after this without any discomfort. Overall, I find this a tasty and enjoyable good quality tobacco. 3.5 stars.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

As my experience with trying tobaccos not available in my native country (U.K) continues whilst I holiday in the State of Florida USA, my next stop was 'Blue Note' by Dan tobacco.

Previously I had heard this was the aromatics to beat all aromatics, and I must admit I have been keen to try this for a while.

Upon opening the tin, the leaves were very bright, and the cut was an almost haphazard cacophony of different shapes and styles (Shag, Ribbon, broken flake). The aroma is very bubble-gummy and it's clear that this will smell pleasant upon lighting.

Once lit I was expecting to be bowled over by a rich array of vanilla creams, berry's, molasses, fruit, etc.. However I found that whilst a nice aromatic, that was all it was...nice.

It reminded me a little of Petersons Connoisseur's choice. However I find CC is a much richer fuller aromatic with more pronounced fruitiness than Blue Note, and as such I prefer the former if given the choice.

So Blue Note is quite nice, and will please those around you with it's sweet aroma. However for a deeper richer more potent and luxurious aromatic there are others available that trump Blue Note, such as Petersons CC.

Still it's another one off the list of 'Not available in the UK' blends that I have sampled whilst abroad.

Hawkeyeted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawkeyeted (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

As far as aromatics go, this one is a tolerable smoke. The tin note is of a vanilla fruit basket.

Can be syrupy when fresh, so I recommend letting it dry out a little beforehand. Though it does burn hot, it will stay lit as you let it cool. Pacing your smoke will help. Mild nicotine content.

Most of the Dan Tobacco line is too cased for me. This however is one that I'll keep around as an occasional dessert.

pipesmokenyc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmokenyc (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Plum Cake. Open the tin and think Christmas... this tobacco smells like a plum pudding cake. It packs easily with just the right amount of spring, lights easily and stays lit, and the room note is a real crowd pleaser (there are times when this is an important consideration, no?). You get what you pay for. There is true quality in this aromatic blend. No goopy casing here. Tired of slurpy-gummy aromatics? Give this a try. Burns dry to the bottom of the bowl producing a nice grey ash and very little dottle. A nice all day smoke.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Danish Cavendish aromatic candy in excelsis. Piquant, peut-être, but seek ecstasy elsewhere, mes amis.

Very Mild Strong Mild to Medium Strong

AlexR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexR (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

First of all I am a "Virginia man". Nice Aromatic with capital " A ". When I open the tin... ummmm....Mamma Mia!!!! Not very popular but high quality tobacco . EXCELLENT aroma. I find citruses, vanila..... plums. Sweet, sweet, sweet.. Like a dessert after dinner. Going well. Smouke to the end. No bites. Not sure I will bay it again....but ho know. Recommended.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Dear god, my teeth hurt from the smell of sugar. If blindfolded you would have a hard time identifying which was the bowl of Fruity Pebbles. For how sweet it is, you would expect it to be simply dripping with syrup topping, but it is oddly not too gummy to the touch.

Once lit, everything begins to calm down, though there isn't much subtly to the flavor, just pure uncut white crystal sugar. It is a dessert smoke in the purest sense, as hours afterwards your saliva will remain sweet. Others in the room will love it, since it doubles as an amazing air odorizer.

On my quest for the best vanilla aromatic, this one did not hit the mark, there Sweet Vanilla Honeydew did a much better job (and to this day is my favorite vanilla).

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Quality Virginias. Nice chunks of pressed flake. An "adult" aromatic I'd buy again. Not goopy but very sweet. Interesting fruity/vanilla casing. Great room note and nice smooth taste. The one draw back I encountered is that between the natural sugar in the Virginias, and the sugar in the casing, I had to nurse the bowls to avoid tongue bite or sting. As time went on and the casings weakened a bit from airing out, sting wasn't as much of a consideration. I bought this tin in September of 2014, then cracked it and started smoking in February of 2015. Here it is a year later and I have probably four or five bowls left. As you can conclude, I didn't smoke this blend very frequently which isn't to say I don't really enjoy it. I usually smoke English blend and enjoy aromatics now and then. Well worth trying.

Pipe Used: Grabow, Kaywoodie, Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Somewhere I forgot!

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)

Hmmmm... Mixed reviews abound. My tin was opened tonight...after resting in the closet for at least three to four years. I read about bourbon vanilla, but my nose said coconut. Descriptions said ribbon cut, but my fingers said broken/cut flake which needed only the slightest bit of rubbing. The toasted coconut was only a suggestion as the VA leaf was a star here, but not a powerful leaf, if that makes sense.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a fine tobacco, and one of the very few aromatics in my rotation. Not much to say other than it's a solid aromatic, not too goopy or sticky, which a rich fruity vanilla bouquet. I like that there are some nice streaks of Virginia in the blend. Very solid indeed. Definitely recommended.

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake City, UT

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The tin note of this baccy is simply outstanding; I just wish it translated a bit more in the taste department. It gave off gobs of aroma, just like Da Vinci, a very pleasant aroma at that (sure to be a crowd pleaser). There are a few downers, it burned hot, especially towards the bottom, and, because of this, it smoked really wet for me and left a horrid backwash. Still, the front end of the smoking experience was relatively pleasant. This is a true aromatic, let there be no doubt. I'm sure an aromatic smoker will find this blend delivers, however, for a piper such as me, maybe not so much.

I'll give this a grudging three stars. Aromatic smokers will likely enjoy this one.

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: Leonessa Capri

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I just cant get this blend to stop biting, and gurggling in the pipe. As far as the room note goes, its exquisite, but thats pretty much it with this blend.

Age When Smoked: 6 mos.

raybrown55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raybrown55 (27)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

A great aromatic, with full taste, only a little too sweet for me, so I tried mixing it fifty-fifty with Sunday's Fantasy, which is far less aromatic, and the result was perfect for me. Just in case someone else would try as well ...

Falcon Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Falcon Fan (22)

Well - here is one i have been meaning to try for a long time. As a fan of the output from the record label of the same name, and someone that appreciates a good aromatic, what better pairing could there be? So, cue the melodic and soothing sounds of the Herbie Hancock quintet, and nearly 50 years after he set forth, I took my own Maiden Voyage with this highly recommended blend from Dan Tobacco, my first from their stable.

And it started so well. The pouch note was not at all overwhelming or too reminiscent of a chemists laboratory, and a single charring got things going in a very relaxing way. As we set forth, I had recollections of the half penny tray at the local sweet shop and the micro packets of refreshers that it used to be possible to buy in the UK. Moving along, and as Herbie and crew set forth into The Eye Of The Hurricane, I was navigating a more sedate course, although reviewing what was coming out of my funnel, I was at risk of soon entering a fog bank. As I pulled back, I took a look at the packaging and tried to work out why Dan decided to package 50g of tobacco in what looks like a 100g tin, certainly, it is not a Little One like the tin they use for their devils holiday tobacco. Any, it is at this point in the bowl where a tobaccos true colors start to show and it becomes a case of Survival Of The Fittest. Blue Note came through for me and as herbie played out, the Dolphins were indeed Dancing!!

Recommended!!

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: Milan Tobacconists online

JpPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JpPipe (4)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I feel like aromatic tobaccos get a bad rap in reviews, and for the most part I agree with them. Torben Dansk - Blue Note I feel to be somewhat of an exception and I'll tell you why.

Most aromatics with a good dose of cavendish and a thick casing I would relate to candy. Lots of flavor, but no substance. Blue Note I would relate to cherry pie. Of course there will be a thick casing and added flavor, but there is some substance to it.

Granted, this is no strong navy blend or virginia flake that so many people go crazy for. But it does have a few things going for it.

Great room note - smoking during a break at work won't piss off your coworker or run off customers. Also, it is light enough to smoke everyday or have just a quick bowl before going home.

One recommendation, when you get a tin, open it up and loosen up the tobacco. Let is sit on the counter for an hour open and then close it. Wait a day or two and then start smoking. The tobacco comes quite moist and letting it dry out will keep the tongue bite away and keep the moisture out of your pipe.

Final word - It's still an aromatic, but it's better than most.

Pipe Used: Churchwarden

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (22)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I bought my first tin of blue note over a year ago and still have most of it in my humidor. Not an everyday smoker so tins will last a while. The first thing that is noticeable about BN is that heavenly aroma. Like what has been said before over and over is it is similar to a bakery. There is also a fruitiness to it. One of the best I have ever put my nose to. BN comes moist out of the tin so air time is a must. It has taken most of a year to get it to dry to my liking. As with most aros this does bite but aging helps immensely! Take your time with it when its in the pipe. Slow smokers will benefit the most when it comes to BN. This aspect is the only reason this doesn't get more stars. This is definitely a crowd pleaser.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I found this blend to be almost identical to Solani's 131 Red Label blend in tin aroma & similar in taste with slightly more strength. Also nuances of Peterson's Sweet Killarney come to mind. This one is a true crowd pleaser for sure. Fairly comfortable on the palate for an aromatic, although not much of the enticing, sweet aroma comes through while smoking.

The tin aroma is such that one might be enticed to find a spoon & dig right in. It leaves no goopy dottle in the bowl but it will leave a ghost in there for the next couple of rounds. I don't smoke many aromatics these days & this review is based only on the merits of an aromatic blend. Therefore, IMHO, Dan Tobacco Blue Note merits three stars.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Blue Note... Great aroma king, in fact the aroma is so full and rich I think it plays with your sense of taste, not sure which is which. The vanilla, tobacco topping idea is nothing new, it's just that BN does it so well. Similar to 7 seas gold, but richer. Easy to light and stays lit, with only a faint tongue tingle, it's easy to manage. For me this is a recliner blend, as inactivity will allow the smoker to appreciate the interesting changes that this stuff goes thru, from light up, to bowl bottom. After all, that's an important part of what makes this blend worth the asking price. Not necessarily my go to blend, but for what it is, 3 stars. Personal rating 2.5 / 5

Sorringowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sorringowl (8)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a nice aro that's not too heavily cased. Usually Black Cavendishes are too irritating on my sinuses but this one is done well and it's really nice and smooth. Great room note too.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

One of the very best full-blown aromatics on the planet!

I taste a congruent mix of vanilla, caramel, coconut and a drop of peach brandy. The taste is rich and buttery. Yet, unlike most aromatics the tobacco taste shines through. Yum! The sweet tanginess of the Virginia leaf contributes to a good mouth feel. The only complaint I have is that this blend can burn unpleasantly hot.

Turning to the room note, it is top notch. To all the young brothers who want to turn female heads with their pipes, this is your tobacco.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I like the vanilla bourbon flavor, but it can burn hot enjoy with caution!

gjMichelob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gjMichelob (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

As I abandoned cigarette smoking, I became compulsively attached to Balkan Sasieni which is my 3 bowls a day blend. However, Blue Note is my first morning smoke, delightfully suitable to accompany an unsweetened cup of black coffee.

It is a true, cased aromatic, yet most competently and attentively tailored using -as many reviewers noticed- quality ingredients, and a fine quality tobacco leaf beneath the topping.

I cut the leaves into smaller pieces using a large scissor, and gently “gravity” fill my bowl. This blend seems to work better in a larger size pipe bowl. I smoke it in a straight large bowled Meerschaum and in a Peterson XL 315. Also results are increasingly improved after about 5 to 10 bowls, when a decent layer of “cake” has formed in the designated pipe, In my –albeit limited experience- I find these measures required to facilitate a consistent, easy burning smoke. In fact this blend calls for a patient, calm, pensive smoke, and if done accordingly it will reward tenfold. I find it FANTASTIC.

Many Aromatics I tried will leave behind an appetite inducing cake-baking-like scent, while burning your tongue with stabs of a diametrically opposite, repulsive taste. Blue Note is in a different class, and one I keenly recommend if you are attracted to aromatics but have been too often disappointed by their treacherous appearances concealing an "ugly witch”.

[a footnote of style: the name, “Blue note”, and the packaging label, with two lines of a red music score running over a blue background, are as distastefully cheap as a discount bathroom detergent. Perhaps, the blender did not believe in this Aromatic's success and afforded it a hurried graphic design. If so, poor foresight; it is indeed one of the most popular tobaccos on the market. As whimsical as it may sound, I store it in old Dunhill tins, much more elegant as they are, to forget the irritating nuisance of the original Blue Note packaging.]

Conclusion, I generally despise Aromatics, yet I Highly recommend this.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I just recently tried this blend for the first time. I'm an English/Balkan, Virginia, VaPer, and VaBur smoker. Despite these eclectic tastes, aromatics figure really low on my list of baccy preferences, and I smoke only what I consider "quality" aromatics, such as Sillems Black and W.O. Larsen's Old Fashioned. But Blue Note is really blowing me away. I was a bit timid approaching it as I've read a lot about the sugar-kick cotton candy taste. But wow, what an enjoyable smoke! I do enjoy a mild easy smoke very often, so I think that must have helped me enjoy it more than I initially expected. That, and I have a sweet tooth. Usually, vanilla flavored aros just make me sick, but this one, with its vanilly milly talcum aroma is a drooler. Of course, YMMV. But that's my take and I'm sticking to it.

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one that had to grow on me. The first tin was just uh...another so so aromatic. I really thought the smell was great...a chocolate candy bar with vanilla sprinkles. The smoke was an average taste...not great. I gave the blend one more try and somehow I fell in love...I really do not understand it, but there it is... For my money, one of the best aromatic blends around.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Blue Note is what every aromatic should strive to be. It is made from the finest tobaccos and flavored with great care. It is in a class of its own. The room note is fantastic and the flavor is of both tobacco and a hint of what to me is vanilla icing. Recommended for those who like the taste of tobacco and need a good room note when in mixed company. Buy a tin and give it a go even if you are not inclined to smoke aromatics it is that good.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have heard so much about this blend and wanted to try it. Even though my tastes are leaning to more English type tobaccos, I will always enjoy an occasional aromatic.

I tried the bulk blend. This has a very fruity smell. Packs well and took two charring lights to get it going. Keep in mind I was outside on a slightly windy day reading a book, so this may have influenced my rating. I will rate it again later.

I was trying to be cautious about tongue bite and didn?t want to puff to aggressively. It kept going out on me. It went really well with my flavored coffee though. I made it about half way through the bowl as I realized I was beginning to puff to hard and fast in the attempt to keep it going. I dumped it out and noticed some moisture build up in the bottom. Hey, it?s an aromatic, after all.

I think this would be a great indoor smoke. Something to please the people around you and without any outside influence, something you could take your time and enjoy without being worried about tongue bite. I didn?t get bitten, but I also didn?t finish the bowl.

Try it, you will either like it or not.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is similar to Sweet Vanilla Honeydew but with red fruits topping and without the vanilla, good sweet aromatic, the casing is very nice for an aromatic, the tobacco is medium quality, this is a good aromatic, must have for your aromatic tobaccos collection.

I rather prefer Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this in a fresh cob because so many reviews report the shadow, the gunk and it has received a lot of less than glowing reviews. First off upon lighting it up, I wondered wheres all this burst of flavor? It smells great and slightly sour in the tin, but I did not get much at first, not even a great aroma. Understand that I am more of a burly man, not much of an aromatic man, and don't really like vanilla flavoring.

So... I did notice that even though I puffed fast trying to get the flavoring, it just would not burn fast for me, was ever so gentle on my tongue, and did not put out a lot of smoke like a lot of blends. I kept with it anyway, I mean I have a full tin, and about halfway down through the bowl, I started to notice that, gee this is pleasurable. As it burned down more, I really started liking it and it started to smell great! By the bottom of the bowl, I thought, WOW, this is good stuff and is great with a cup of tea! While I would not make this my regular daily, it is a good treat smoke, and one that the aroma would WOW people around me. So, I think I will be keeping a tin around for when I feel like a sweet. I did notice my mouth grew dry, so it requires a drink in hand, but so what, I always do anyway. This is a terrific aromatic, even for someone who does not tend towards them. Try it!

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Flavor: Not a lot of flavor. The tobacco flavor comes trhough but it's too mild.

Complexity: None. Pretty one dimensional.

Aroma: Pleasant at first. After a few bowls it's pretty easy to tell it's all chemical.

Tin Aroma: A bit sweet for my taste but not bad. Smells a lot better than it smokes.

Room Note: One of the best. Pretty heavy with vanilla and doesn't smell like cheap perfume.

Burning characteristics: burns good with few relights. Can be hot and bitey if tempted. If you smoke too fast it'll gurgle and leave some junk at the bottom of your pipe.

Cut/Moisture content: Loose cut. Moisture content is good, not too wet not too dry. Pretty good for a cased aromatic.

Overall: Not bad for an aromatic but not something I'd buy again. The tobacco used is of quality and the topping, although too strong for my taste, isn't overpowering. However, there is very little tobacco flavor which is a turn off for me. I'd recommend it for the aromatic lover who wants to move away from the drug store aromatic and get something better crafted.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is an excellent medium VA aromatic. It reminds me (dare I say it?) of Royal Yacht with regard to its VA components, strength, taste and nicotine level.

The fruity-vanilla topping is great, fig and raisin essence with vanilla developing as the tin mellowed with air exposure. I liked this one and found I had finished a tin quickly, as good a sign as any that I really liked it. It does burn hot and rapidly so enjoy cautiously, perhaps letting your pipe sit occasionally till it almost goes out, then puff away again.

This is a new classic. Well done Dan. A solid 4 stars.

Good Draw to You,

Ethan "Glorfindel" Dickey

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A full flavored aromatic, very pleasant fruity tones, slightest hint of vanilla. Biggest drawback it burns hot, hot, hot. Not for steam engine puffers like me.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Blue Note smells like pear drops taste: slightly sweet and slightly sour. It comes dry in the tin, and smokes dry in the pipe. There are aromatics that I could smoke all day - Mac Baren`s Navy Flake, Plumcake, Scottish Mixture; Larsen`s Curly Cut, Flake Cut; Amphora Full Aromatic etc. - and there are aromatics that I can smoke on the odd occasion. Blue Note is the latter kind. To the aromatic smoker, it has its virtues. One only has to compare it with the Borkum Riffs and the such like to see the superior quality of Blue Note.

`Tis the season for hot winds, temperatures in excess of forty degrees Celsius and experimenting with aromatics. Blue Note has been a pleasant enough beginning.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Being on a crusade to find the sweetest tobaccos made I only have one phrase that comes to mind: oh hell yeah!

Upon opening Blue Note, you are hit, no, flogged with a mixture of fruit and vanilla scents. (If you don't like aromatics this is your cue to close the tin and mail it to me instead of throwing it out!) The tobacco is ribbon cut and packs easily. My tin also had the right amount of moisture.

The light... Putting a match to Blue Note yields a different experience than one would expect. Immediately you're hit with a hot, biting smoke as you puff to get it going. It took me a while until I learned exactly how to smoke this stuff, but when I finally did (slow and deliberate is the key) it rewarded me with a very sweet flavor. Yes, Pipestud mentioned the taste of cotton candy and he isn't far off the mark. This is vaporized cotton candy!

So, if you're on a quest to find the sweetest, most nauseatingly sugary tobaccos out there like I am, capture this one and put it on your trophy stand. It's quite a specimen.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I managed to get a sample of this in bulk, and was excited to try this very much reviewed blend. I was immediately taken back by the smell in the pouch, vanilla with vinegar possibly, I could detect no bourbon flavor or smell.

Upon lighting I was disappointed to find a standard aromatic on the level of Captain Black Gold. I was further confused by the room aroma, smoky, like an English, not at all fragrant; so this isn't even pleasant for those around you. I won't be buying this again, but it might do something for you, a tobacco liked by so many must have some appeal.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

10/08/2004:I don't smoke this often but I am uprating it to that catagory because it is tops in its' class...which is Aromatic tobacco. The initial smell on opening the tin is...room deoderizer! Really this stuff is pungent! Handle with care. This is a great aromatic tobac. Smoke it in a cob or Grabow. I think the scent would permeate anything it comes in contact with. If you like strongly flavored, sweetened tobacco blends with some real tobacco taste ....this is it! If you are not sure try to beg a bowlfull before purchasing. I think this is one of those love-it or hate-it blends.

11/16/2006 Update: No longer in my rotation. Too "over the top" in scent and flavor. Still recommend for Aromatic lovers.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Medium Extra Strong Medium Overwhelming

Somewhere alone the line, Blue Note seems to have become the world's most popular premium aromatic. Every pipe smoker I know has tried it and a fair amount love and swear by it. I suppose that I can see why. When, for the latter half of the twentieth century, aromatic has meant a base of poor quality Burley treated with all manner of preservatives and flavoring agents that really only serve to ruin a pipe, a full flavored aromatic made with high-end Virginias and black Cavendish such as Blue Note would indeed be an enthralling discovery.

Once again, the ingredients of this blend are of the highest quality and what I can determine of the flavoring is indeed natural, complex, and even inspired. There is one thing that serves to detract from all things in Blue Note's favor, however. This is that it burns hotter than a bank robber's pistol. Virginia tobacco hath a high sugar content as it is and will burn hot if improperly prepared or smoked; the sugary syrups that are heavily ladled onto Blue Note in blending only augment this. In years of smoking Virginia I have rarely experienced tong bite, but Blue Note torched me every time. As a result, any nuances of flavor that could have been experienced either from the leaf itself, or from the well-intentioned aromatic agent, were rendered moot. Another unpleasant aspect was how I had to keep setting my pipe down because the bowl and even the stem kept getting literally too hot to handle.

There are some good aromatics in this world. I find that the classic American school of blending has done them the best. The Base tobacco must be Burley of the finest quality, bright and red Virginia are veritable condiments, and the aromatic agents, whatever they may be, though deer tongue and liquorices were always popular favorites, were not sauces so much as essences sprayed over the blend. Such was the pinnacle and such does Blue Note fail to achieve.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Rooty,tooty, fruity vanilla. If you love full aromatics, this is a nice one. Burns drier, and has better tobacco than most blends of this genre. It should as it is tinned, and is not cheap. Too sweet for me, but the quality is good.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

A strongly aromatic offering. I could smoke this maybe once a year. It is pleasnt for an aromatic. Nothing like some of the other Dan tobaccos, which are.....um....brutal. Whatever pipe you smoke this in will be your Blue Note pipe, so don't test drive it in your prize Dunhill if you're not sure.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I don't know what all the hub-bub is about. I don't think this blend is trying to be anthing it ain't. It is a cased aromatic Danish blend. If you don't like aromatics or the typical vanilla and wiskey Danish tobaccos then don't bother disapointing yourself. That said, I find it stonger in smell than in the flavoring. Underneath all the bean and booze you do find yourself with a quality VA taste...but you got to look hard. It gets easier to find after the halfway point. Hey, I like aromatics and VA's so I quess I'm in the minority if you read everything on the web. 8 out of 10

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant

If Juicyfruit were a tobacco, this would be it. Excellent base blend, horrible topping. That's in my opinion, though. It's very distinctive, I'll give it that, and some people really love this stuff.

My natural instinct upon opening this up was to try to place the aroma. I read someone describe the smell as a grape bubble gum..that would probably be more accurate.

I popped a tin at the local tobacco shop and some old guy loaded up his pipe, did a ton of complaining and just plain gave up. He promptly bought a four ounce bulk latakia house blend to "correct" his pipe. Then he gave me a scolding. It was hilarious.

What more can I say? If you're an aromatic buff or want something adventurous, you've got to try this.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (32)
Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Burns well, good quality leaf. Others in room generaly like the smell more than any other I have ever tried. sweet taste is somewhat strong, but easy to take. So...good for: easy going out, no need to relight often and good smell. Good to have around as part of your options. This is the out in public and around the house blend. Very mild and not too hot.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Fruity vanilla taste. Fruity vanilla room note. Very wife friendly tobacco and gets positive comments from her when I smoke this. I tend to tire of this one rather quickly however. 1 tin at a time and I'm good for a while. The tobacco quality is excellent and you can taste the VA's after 1/2 bowl when the flavoring burns off. I've gotta smoke this one carefully as it tends to nip me if I overheat it. All in all its decent but I have my other "fruity" tobaccos I prefer more. And they cost much less!

Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like vanilla-cased tobaccos, this is for you. As far as quality it's good indeed, neither hot not wet if you don't rush too much, and the flavour in the tin is resembled enough during the smoke. Pay attention, because the flavour will stay in your pipe for a long time.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (43)

This is one of several aromatics I've tried with a strong plum type sweetness as a background. This is too sweet for me, and I'm an aromatics guy! I didn't find the bourbon or vanilla. I had to let this dry out as it was quite wet, and that also toned it down a bit

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Full review coming soon.....10-15-04 Update:10-30-04 All Hollows Eve me Boy! Blue Note is a great smoke, the taste is full and has a great roomnote.The flavor is of exotic fruits and a nice shot of Bourbon Vanilla. It is one I will keep on hand always. People this is a nice smoke overall, not as harsh as it was rated up above. The aroma is fine, it doesnt stay in your pipe after your done,its not overwhelming. Its a good smoke, but we all have our own opinions. Blue Note is on my top 5 list ranked #2 under my top gun of Town Topic at #1. Happy Halloween Yo! MZMN

Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

10-15-04 I usually give a detailed review, but this blend just did not work for me at all. Smelled good in the tin, but it wasn't tobacco that I smelled! This just burned too hot for me regardless of what pipe I used and the flavor did not taste good to me once flame was applied. I much prefer "Evening Stroll" for a vanilla aromatic. Sorry! After half a 50g. tin, gave the rest away. Rating: 1 out of 5 points, to each, his own...

OlFacty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OlFacty (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I must say that I purchased this tin from the reviews of another website, let just say that the reviewers over there must have completely different tastes.

Moisture content was a little moist in the tin but a few days in the jar worked wonders. The aroma was full of fruity sweetness enhanced by vanilla, enough to make your mouth water.

Blue note packed easy, held a light nicely and smoked straight through the bowl leaving a light-gray ash.

Emerging flavors were vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, and a fruity sourness that progressed all the way up the bit. The tobacco did seem to burn a little hot around the mid bowl but mellowed back down (almost like I just had packed it slightly tight mid bowl).

So far the only comments I have received were that blue note carried the ?traditional pipe aroma?. If you are looking for a crowd pleaser this may work. In the right crowd this would definitely be a pleaser but you can never make everyone happy.

I would recommend this to those who like the fruity aromatics, but I don?t plan on stocking it in the future?. But don?t get me wrong if I found a tin in my mailbox or received it as a gift I would find a way to enjoy it!

Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

Very similar to Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (so I recommend you to read my review for this tobacco, too), both in tin aroma and in smoke flavor. They are almost identical: the differences lie in the presence of a subtle fruity essence to Blue Note in addition to the dominating vanilla, and in a noticeable helping of black cavendish. As with SWH, it is a quality aromatic, very sweet and sugary (the tin aroma is almost nauseating) but not excessively goopy in comparison. The flavoring seems natural enough (though strong), and the room note will please most non-smokers. Not really my kind of tobacco (I get easily nauseated by its excessive sweetness, and when I finish this tin - which has been open for three months and isn't empty yet - I will certainly avoid buying another for some years), but highly recommended if you want an aromatic different from the thousands of drugstore cavendish blends that plague the shops.

primekart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
primekart (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

When I read the reviews on Blue Note, I tried to put my hands on the tobacco, but could not find it in Israel. Being in Spain and England last year, I could not find it there also. I e-mailed Dan Tobacco in Germany and they were kind enough to send a sample package. It was delightful! It was all that I could hope for. So I asked a friend to bring me 3 tins from New York City. It was a disaster! The tobacco was unpleasant to smoke, acrid and harsh. I had to throw away the tins. Suddenly, the Importer of Dan Tobacco in Israel started to import Blue Note in 50 Gr. packs . It was the same pleasant and wonderful smoke that most of you are describing here. Could it be that Dan Tobacco manufactures 2 different blends under the same name?

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a tin of Blue Note on a whim; mostly because I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about. I am not a fan of aromatic tobaccos in general, and this one is no different.

Upon opening the tin, the aroma is cloyingly sweet and (to my schnoz) sickeningly artificial. I find myself hoping that it tastes better than it smells. The well-cut ribbons appear to be mostly dark Cavendish, with a few errant strands of lighter (Virginia?) wandering about. The blend is moist, but not as wet as many other cased blends I have tried.

Upon lighting up, I am presented with a very sweet, cool, dense smoke. There is no tobacco flavor whatsoever. Mid-bowl, the flavor is slightly less sweet and a bit deeper, but is still very consistant with the start of the bowl (this is not necessarily a good thing). A bit of gurgling, but drying out the ribbons might fix that problem. The finish was not pleasant - hot, raspy and still sickeningly sweet.

It's a good thing that I smoked this in a cob, because after three bowls over two days I think that any briar exposed to this blend will be marked for life with the essance of Eau de Dr. Pepper. The aftertaste in my mouth was both oily amd soapy, reminiscent (to my buds) to canned black olives.

In case you can't tell, I do not care for this blend. When I want a little sweetness in my smoke I rely on the natural caramelly goodness of a quality Virginia blend like 5100.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Good quality tobacco. A liqueur essence. Sweet and fruity. Oops! Should have known better. Excuse me while I clean out my pipe. Paddy

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the only aromatic that I like. I have tried a lot of others but this one stands alone. There is the delightful aroma, but even better, one can actually taste tobacco.

In the case of most aromatics I have tried, while I thought I would like them, I could not finish a 50gr tin or bag. I buy Blue Note by the 250gr package so I always have some on hand.

Very Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

Wheww!!! Talk about a very intense aromatic! This stuff has the most flavoring I have ever tried in an aromatic. It has high quality leaf however- and that truly makes all the difference. Although you can taste very little tobacco over the casing- what you can taste is most definitely virginia. I love the vanilla boubon aroma in the can and can pick up a bit of cherry as well. This aroma is from this point on the predominant taste and smell for the whole bowl. Needless to say other people absolutely love the room note. I have taken to mixing it with McClelland's bulk #5100 half anf half for a little bit more tobacco flavor and fullness. I still can't say that this is one of my favorite tobaccos- purely because I am not a fan of aromatics. However, I can recognize a quality tobacco when I smoke one and this is definitely that. If you want to try an aromatic with quality leaf anf casing and don't want to smoke a bowl of propylene glycol- give this stuff a try. You won't be disappointed!

Mild Strong Mild Strong

Extremely sweet aroma in the tin and the room that receives rave reviews in public. I just wish the taste was quite as good; too sweet for me as a steady but enjoyable for a change after a meal. However, this tobacco quality is much higher the the heavily cased domestic drug store aromatics. Golden VA + black cavendish in a nice mix of cuts that burns evenly. Was slightly too wet when the tin was initially opened and it was easier to pack and keep lit after drying slightly. If you enjoy aromatics or are looking for a major change, give this one a try.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Strong

Tin Aroma: The tin says that it smells like 'exotic fruits and a touch of bourbon vanilla.' I smell sugar, vanilla, and sugar. The smell of this is almost nauseating it is so syrupy. If the taste is anywhere near as cloying as the smell, this will be a short experiment.

Physical Characteristics: Pleasant to look at in the tin, this is a nicely balanced mixture of tan, brown and black pieces, in a sort of crinkly ribbon cut. It packs well, but fluffs up immensely on the charring light. Seems that Dan Tobacco loves to ship their tobacco sopping wet, which is not a plus in my book. Tobacco is taxed by weight, so I would rather pay for tobacco, not water or Propylene Glycol.

Notes: I was hoping for something refined and dignified when I first encountered this, along the lines of Ashton's Original Oldchurch, but this is far more like Dan Tobaccos other Aromatics I have smoked, most notable being the Ocean Liner series. A word of warning: whether you like this tobacco or not, you will need a pipe dedicated to just it to try it. Nothing seems to hang on to the bowl like this does. Hell, it even left an aftertase in a meerschaum. On first light, it becomes obvious that this is not nearly as bad a tobacco as the tin aroma would lead one to believe. It is obvious that the base tobaccos used in this blend are of a high quality. My theory is that this is another Dan Tobacco blend (Copenhagen: Cavendish), cased to the gills and repackaged. The first half of the bowl always makes me think: 'this must be what it would be like to smoke good Virginia tobacco in a pipe that had been smoked by an aromatic lover for many years.' Not exactly what I go looking for in a tobacco blend. That said, the aromatic component does calm down a bit after the first third of the bowl, and tapers off to about the two thirds mark. It never completely goes away, but it becomes mild enough to allow you to really get at the excellent virginias underlying this vanilla and sugar madness.

Verdict: As many others have said, this is liable to be about as non-offensive a pipe tobacco as you can come up with, but that really is a piss-poor attribute to sell a tobacco on. This is a good bit over the top for me, but I could heartily recommend it to any aromatic smoker, as it is of the highest quality.