Rich and creamy texture of vanilla, caramel and honey.

Notes: Burley, Virginia, Cavendish

Taste

Pappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappy (3)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is soooooooooo good it should be illegal.

There is absolutely no tongue bite, no matter how aggressively you smoke it and it tastes as good as it smells, rich, sweet caramel, but subtle.

Burns cool and leaves your pipe smelling nicely with a caramel afterglow.

The only thing I would want is more caramel topping......... I absolutely love this......... {I smoked a whole tin in 2 days and I normally only smoke a bowl a day}.....

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A black cavendish smoker's delight. It's crackles as it burns if you don't dry it first, and can leave some goop, too. I prefer to dry it out first. There's a pleasant vanilla, carmel, slightly buttery, molasses, honey taste that is consistent throughout the smoke. The vanilla flavor is the main player here, as is usually the case in this kind of blend. It's a little sweeter than I prefer, but if you are a BC smoker, you'll become addicted to this and forget most of the other BC blends. As for the room note, well, if you're single, you may not be for long if women smell the wonderful aroma this mixture produces.

boogieman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boogieman (7)

The only really nice thing about this tobacco is it's room note and the delicious smell coming from the tin.

It was extremely wet. So wet, I imagine you could wring water from it. I normally do not judge a tobacco on it's moisture, as most comes wet. Drying it is part of the "ritual". This however after an hour setting on the table under a ceiling fan was still as wet as it was in the tin.

On lighting it stated popping like crazy, almost like it has oil in it or something.

Taste was nothing really like the tin smell, just more of a plastic taste. I don't know where that came from but it wasn't really pleasant.

Overall, I would not recommend this tobacco. It may be good if you are just graduating from captain black or something, but there is much better stuff out there.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Molto Dolce

Tin Note: Great Aroma !!!

Tobacco: Nice soft leaf good quality tobaccos, with a variation of cuts, Good Color

The Burn: Straight out of the Tin it tends to burn a little wet towards the end of the bowl Slightly air dried helped. Either way this tobacco blend is full of great flavors ! Smooth Rich and Flavorful!

With the Honey, Carmel and Vanilla This would be a great tobacco blend to start a new pipe out on ( to get a jump start on a good cake formation)

Try smoking this one in a pipestone or clay pipe = you will love it

Room Note: WONDERFUL

my 5 star rating = 4

Now I see why everyone wants this to be sold in large tins or 1 pound bags !!!

I got a tin of this free from JR Cigar after purchasing some other pipe tobacco blends. Lovely tin note upon opening the lid, but a very wet tobacco offering. Literally drenched in casing. A predominantly dark leaf that was oily looking and stained my fingers with loading my pipe. While lighting, it sizzled as if I was lighting pure sugar. Surprisingly, it did not smoke hot. I could not actually taste any vanilla or caramel at first, but with slow smoking, both peaked through from time to time. There was a slight spiciness to the taste which I attributed to the honey - almost a combination of honey and sen sen, and mild at that. Not much in the way of tobacco flavor, and there was the ever present taste of PG. All in all, if you are looking for any tobacco taste whatsoever, look elsewhere. The room note may be appealing, but not enough of a draw to put this into regular rotation for me due to the lack of tobacco flavor and the PG presence. I can't recommend this one and most likely won't finish the tin. While I think about it, it reminded me of C&D's Pennington Gap which I did not care for.

piperboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperboy (4)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

this tobacco is a very good aromatic blend! it stays lit very well, and not much bite to it even if you chug along. it does have a lot of casing so it is a bit sticky i suggest letting it dry for like 30 mins prior to smoking. i also notice a crackling while i was smoking it (from the casing). it has a nice flavor to it, not to strong but just strong enough. great with a cup of coffee. very enjoyable smoke i would recommend this blend to anyone who enjoys aromatics!!

its $6 or so for a 1.5 oz tin

Pipe Used: aldo velani, peterson system

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: trout stream.

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a great aromatic that is very mild on the tobacco end of the spectrum. It has a distinctive pop and crackle when first lit, and the flavors are primarily vanilla/honey with some bread and caramel in the background. My wife said this smelled a lot sweeter than things I usually smoke. Aftertaste was pleasant. I smoked it straight from the tin with no drying.

The mouth feel is very soft, and there is no harshness here at all. As an aromatic, this is a 4 star blend. If you are a fan of the vanilla/honey black cavendish blends, buy some now. You will really like it.

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (17)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

PROLOGUE: What I have noticed from the many reviews and forums I have read is that your love for Molto Dolce greatly depends on what you expect when you pop a tin of fresh tobacco. If you have smoked for years and have expectations set in stone, this one is going to be very off-putting at the start. However, if you are new to the pipe and know little, you won't even notice a thing. BUT I emplore you to give it a fair shot. It is a fantastic aromatic. I get to this in my tin observation....

REVIEW:

In the tin: The smell of Molto Dolce is absolutely incredible when you pop the tin. The description is dead on: notes of honey, caramel and vanilla. It smells like a very elaborate dessert. In the background, there are some spices, but they are very subdued. But here's the kicker....It is oily and moist...and not just a little. It is VERY oily tobacco. But as I said, don't let that scare you off. If you give it a good charring light, it burns just fine. It pops and crackles, my guess is, due to the oily coating. That being said, I would definitely dedicate a pipe to it or count on ghosting any pipe you use.

Lighting and flavor: I have never had a problem getting it lit after a charring light. The smoke is billowy and thick and the room note is incredibly pleasant. Flavor is mild to medium, but the caramel and honey comes through and melds with the vanilla perfectly. It is very flavorful and enjoyable. It is an incredibly cool smoke, but if pushed, develops a burnt taste, probably due to the sugars burning at too hot of a temperature. If you take your time, you can find the spices that were first noticed in the tin. They are so subdued, I could not nail down exactly what they were. Not "hot" spicy....more of a spice in the vein of a mulled cider, but certainly not strong. There is not a ton of depth to this aromatic, but definitely more depth than your average aro. The actual tobacco flavor is subdued and is mild through the bowl. However, overall aromatic flavor is consistent from beginning to end...which is a rarity with aros.

Final thoughts: Some drying may help a bit, but I have smoked it right out of the tin with no issues. Once lit, it has probably the most pleasant room note and flavor of any tobacco I've tried thus far. That being said, it is definitely more of a dessert tobacco, although I would never mind smoking it all day. It is sweet, smooth, creamy and enjoyable from first light to ash dump.

robb.maximilian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robb.maximilian (5)
Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

This blend is a great social smoke. The room note if fantastic. Take a good whif of it, beacause thats where the greatness stops. This blend is too sweet. It's so sweet that it taste like gummy bears dipped in some type of very sweet booze. Even me being the total sugar junkie that I am, I can't recommend this blend unless your want to use it as a social smoke. The flavor is overwhelming, it's kinda hard to pack and it bites my tongue. If you like candy flavored tobacco that tastes as sweet as it smells, this is for you. If you mostly smoke english blends however this won't change your mind about aromatics.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In terms of delivering a flavoring, this blend holds the record hands down for the sweetest, creamiest, and quite frankly the most flavorful true aromatic smoke that I have come across. The tin note is a heavy almost boozy sweet spiced-vanilla flavor that translates quite nicely when it's smoked. Molto Dolce is very moist out of the tin so it's best to give it adequate dry time, otherwise the overall flavor profile takes a turn for the worse past the mid bowl point.

Upon opening my tin I was convinced that I couldn't smoke this blend. I'll try anything once and I am happy I did because I was wrong. I like this stuff. It tastes good, performs pretty well & smells very nice. It's sugary but has no bite. I will definitely continue to smoke this on those occasions when I want something that is uncompromisingly sweet and simple.

Cosmicfolklore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cosmicfolklore (5)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is like grabbing up a sorority girl up off the beach in her bikini and stuffing it into my pipe. With strong aromas of suntan lotions, coconut, coco, and vanillas with honey,I can actually taste the drunken sun burnt skin as the smoke progresses. This is one that I would avoid if I wanted a little alone time with my pipe, as every time I light it up all of the girls in my house want to hang out with me. And, inevitably, the topic of the beach arises. :::sigh::: I highly recommend this one, but not if you just want to get away from everyone.

X-Mil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
X-Mil (4)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

First opened to a sweet honey molasses flavored tobacco, dark mix. It sort of reminded me of what I imagine a candy factory could smell like. Upon lighting, I gave it no drying time, it took to lighting well, though it felt a tiny bit oily.

I found the smoke to be enticing. I caught hints of fruit, molasses, medium strength clove, honey, and a nice nutty sweetness. I felt no tongue burn, but did sense a tingle like smoking clove cigarettes. The after taste was nice, it did not last long... I love sweet tobaccos, and this was a great beginner tobacco beginner. I think I will keep this around for a bit.

Cappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cappy (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A very remarkable blend from Sutliff Private Stock. The Cavendish process does bring out the tobacco's natural sweet taste. It comes through very well. This blend is mild to the taste and the room note is provacative and very pleasant. The flavoring is a combination of vanilla, caramel, and honey. This can be likened to smoking a creamy, sweet dessert. The W.A.R. (Wife Approval Rating) for Molto Dolce was two thumbs up!! A first! Even the grandkids came in, whiffed, and wanted some of Pappy's candy. A four star Aro. Moist, but not overly moist. I would highly recommend Aro lovers try a tin of this tobacco. Let your nose decide.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (33)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Terrific aromatic blend and a winner in my book. Smells good in the tin, and the room note is delectable. Tobacco and aromatic flavor are mild on the tongue, but not vague or wanting. Sweet notes, but in no way cloying. MD is a smooth smoking mixture. It burns well out of the tin despite something of an oily, sticky feel to the leaf. Absolutely no chemical, medicinal, or industrial taste as with so many American-style aromatics. Leaves little moisture and dottle at the heel of the bowl. A perfect indoor smoke.

I received a 1.5 oz tin gratis from Altadis. Good marketing, because I will try other Sutliff offerings I probably would not have otherwise.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

I too, received this as a sample. I too, felt upon initial opening, that a period of drying out was required and about once a week now, I enjoy a bowl of this creamy deliciousness as dessert. Great taste if a little loud up front it still mellows out similiar to a milk shake. She Who Must be Obeyed enjoys this very much. So I assume good room.

milos359 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milos359 (4)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

Upon opening the tin you are greeted with what smells like a candy shop or bakery. Extremely moist to the point of goopy it stuck to my fingers while loading my pipe. You can smoke this tobacco hard with little or no tongue bite. I would think that if you are breaking in a new pipe that this tobacco could help build up your cake rather quickly. I smoked the whole tin before I came here to tell you what I think... It is OK. Extremely sweet, heavy on the caramel and vanilla. Great for aromatic lovers.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Too sweet, goopy and needs drying. Like Captain Black on steroids. Better as a mixer.

dafydd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dafydd (3)
Very Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

High expectation considering the rave reviews. However, while smoking, it tastes and smells like Play-Doh to me. I'll try getting through the can and hope for a better result.

Pipe Used: MM

Purchased From: 4noggins

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (16)
Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is in a league of its own. Everything it says on the tin and then some. Burns cool and dry and long, despite the apparent wetness out of the tin. Some mild bitterness as the bowl progresses but nothing so untoward as to break the character of this fine tobacco.

Predominant tin and room note is vanilla, followed by caramel. I can't detect the honey. The chocolate I think comes from the burley itself. Lovely, creamy mouth feel and no tongue bite or gurgle at all.

The tin and room notes are full volume on first opening but if left in the opened tin rather than decanting, this tones down considerably within days, and subsequent bowls allow the quality tobaccos to shine. As long as this remains in production there seems no reason to cellar, because it smokes perfectly as it is.

arbitrage84 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arbitrage84 (1)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoy this blend. I found that in addition to the listed flavors, there is also a good presence of figs. While very wet upon opening the tin, a short drying time really aids this blend. It is very sweet, and goes well with root beer.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 303

Age When Smoked: 1 month

ReconJack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ReconJack (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

The toppings are strong without being overwhelming or tasting artificial. It was extremely wet but smoked like a reasonably well anyway and even better after a generous drying period. An absolute rock star in the room note department. This deliciously sweet indulgence is my favorite tobacco so far in my brief pipe-smoking career. Too bad it only comes in the small tins.

Awildcat66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Awildcat66 (1)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Got this based on these reviews. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. It is awesome! If you are not an aro person, stay the heck away. If you are, this is the tastiest blend out there. It beats any aro, particularly for sweetness, mildness, room note and longevity of taste. No bite at all. Strong casing, but if that's what you want......you've got it in spades. Only drawback is that the tin needs drying out for about a day. That being said, I'd be smoking this stuff 24-7. I just wish they had it larger tins.

Pipe Used: Meer

Similar Blends: Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very flavorful - rum, coconut, vanilla, and buttery caramel. If you are a fan of aros in general, and/or these flavors in particular, then you may want to give this one a fair shake. Base tobacco is more mild than the added flavorings. Burns clean and easy. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: CI

JoeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeMan (7)
Mild to Medium Strong Very Full Strong

I've been after tasty, sweet, rich aromatics for a long time. Molto Dolce is definitely and by far the best aromatic tobacco in my world. The tin note is amazing. The taste is unbelievable. The room note is fabulous. Caramel, vanilla, spice...if you're reading this, just finish up here, hop over to Pipes and Cigars and get yourself a tin or TEN. If you're an aro guy/gal, I'm very confident that you will not regret your purchase!!

Pipe Used: Peterson, Alpha, Grabow, Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online

Similar Blends: Creme Brulee.

JoeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeMan (7)
Mild to Medium Strong Very Full Strong

Pipe Used: Peterson, Alpha, Grabow, Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online

Similar Blends: Creme Brulee.

05Venturer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
05Venturer (3)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was really trying to find a tobacco that would be have an appealing aroma to others and also have some flavor for me. Molto Dolce fits the ticket. I don't smoke many aromatics except when out and about and this is one that everyone should give a try.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: 45

Purchased From: P & C

Shayde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shayde (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Molto Dolce is my favorite aromatic, a friend sent me a few tins of Sutliff blends with my pipe and this blend was in it. Warning: it is a little different from your average aromatic. It's got a great flavor and the Honey and Carmel really show up in the smoke.

The tin note is fantastic, the room note is great. This will definitely please even the pickiest of wives. The taste is amazing, you can really taste every little flavor in it.

It is a little wet straight out of the tin, but it will smoke alright. For those a little pickier you'd be fine to dry it out for a little bit.

Easy enough to smoke, easy enough to keep lit.

I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. From the newest pipe smokers to the oldest. Just approach it with an open mind and know that you can and will be surprised.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

A good aromatic that the description pretty much sums up . It's not the coolest smoking in the sutliff line but it's not hot by any means . It burns pretty dry and the room note is great . I love a good Aromatic and this one is fine but Sutliff and others make better

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (26)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Yes, it really is what all the other reviews say. The tin note is overpoweringly sweet with caramel and cinnamon and other sweet notes, and the room note, well the room note is the least smoky smelling, most aromatic and sweet room note I've come across in a long time. Guaranteed crowd pleaser. It is very sticky feeling, wet almost, and crackles madly on the first few lights but settles into an easy burn. Tastes decent too. While not something I would smoke a regular basis, a good tin to keep around for company.

WilboZ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WilboZ (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was very pleased and surprised to open my mailbox not long ago and pull out a box from Sutliff Tobacco. Inside were a tin each of their Maple Street and the much exalted Molto Dulce. I have to say; Molto Dulce is absolutely my favorite aromatic blend in my 35-plus years of smoking a pipe. The tin note is not just sweet, but it smells like cookie flavored tobacco. As others have noted, the tobacco does seem very moist. In fact it is sorta oily to the touch, and it will stick to your fingers, but please don't let that put you off trying this. It packs easily and should be done with a gentle touch to prevent it from heating up due to a tight pack. The charring light does take a bit of heat and persistence, and it will crackle and pop in the process. Again, do not despair for this is normal, as many have noted. Once lit, THIS is the way you should be able to taste an aromatic tobacco blend. For me, there is a hint of cinnamon, along with the sweet, smooth brown sugar flavor of the combination of tobacco and casing. It tastes much like freshly baked pastries. The room note is very much reminiscent of our kitchen while my wife is baking cookies (for the grandchildren, of course) Warm, and gently sweet to the olfactory senses. If you haven't already tried this excellent tobacco blend, I recommend it very highly. A solid FOUR STARS!

jfox520 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jfox520 (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin I smelled almost a fig aroma although the tin says vanilla, caramel, and honey. During the charring light there was some crackling and popping. On then true light the vanilla flavor became prominent. After the first third of the bowl the vanilla was joined by the caramel, and honey. From here the flavor stayed consistent. The room note was delicious throughout the bowl. The tobacco burned well with minimal re-lights and no tongue bite at all. This is a great aromatic.

Egalitarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Egalitarian (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This is fantastic tobacco. Love its special flavor so much. It is so sweet and nice aroma. It is perfect to accompany desert after dinner. For those whom looking for nice and sweet aromatic, this should be your final destination.

Stilbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stilbon (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A superb blend by Sutliffe and easily in my top 5 for aromatics. Very sweet, tastes to me like a cross between creme brûlée and a vanilla flan. Texture is buttery and gives off the most wonderful aroma - a sure fire crowd pleaser. Virtually no bite unless you chug away, so it definitely beats out MacBarren Vanilla in my book. Took a light surprisingly well too considering it was so wet straight out of the tin. Burned down to a clean white ash with no dottle, again, much to my surprise (and delight)! If you like vanilla aromatics, this may be THE blend to go with. So far, I'm quite impressed with the private stock lineup.

JakeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeMan (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you like sweet aromatics, then you will love this blend. If you don't like sweet aromatics stay away from this blend. I love this stuff and so does everyone around me. No Bite, consistant flavor throughout the smoke, fantastic room note, equally fantstic tin note. You will have to do some prep work before smoking this tobacco. It is wet, plain and simple. I empty the tin onto a clear glass dinner plate and set it on the sidewalk to bask in the hot New Orleans sun for a while. When it is dry to my liking I put back into the tin. Good Stuff

Gmrbama Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gmrbama (1)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This was my first try of the Sutliffe brand and I was very impressed with Molto Dolce. It has a nice flavor with no burn and is a pleasant smoke.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I've been smoking this since the sample I got from the last CORPS Show...should've gotten more. Been ordering it from Pipes & Cigars ever since. I smoke all categories of tobaccos, from burley on through. Great tin aroma, stickier than Black Cordial but surpasses it in smokability. Produces a caramel, vanilla, cherry flavor and aroma. I have enough tobacco to supply a tobacconist several times over (except for C&D), but this has been my primary Aromatic since Richmond. Since I learned a while back to pack "wet" aromatics very loose, my appreciation has magnified greatly. This is a great "public" tobacco. Everyone loves the aroma and the taste is incredible. It is wet in the tin, which is why you should pack it with a light hand. There is a snap crackle and pop upon first light that may distract you but stay with it please. Sip it slowly to get the taste and smell. The flavors change throughout the bowl IMHO. Goes from honey, to caramel, to vanilla and back. It's good on DGTeeing and re-lights. My only qualm is it's not in a bigger tin. Highly recommended year round.

pipe-junky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe-junky (8)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a mild tasty smoke! opening the tin the aroma waffs up for a greeting.The tobacco shines at you like glazed candy. Greasy when packing as it kinda sticks to your thumbs.You could probably take a clump and put it in a paper towel and squeeze out the topping.Never the less i smoked it as it came out of the tin in a large missouri meerschaum general and it was yummy.Tried it in a couple of briars but went back to the cob. Room note is lovely,so says the misses.Try it you'll like it and so will anyone in the immediate area.

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Remarkable aromatic - never had anything like it. Tin note ? A real lady-killer; my receptionist nearly swooned when I offered her a whiff.

Very moist, but required only one re-light after initial charring / light.

Taste matches tin precisely.

No bite whatsoever - and I tried.

Room note is spectacular.

Immediately ordered more.

Update: smokes well in both filtered (Vauen) and unfiltered (Stanwell) with no gurgle or bite at any point, despite liberal casing, etc.

Burn does benefit from some drying (I dried for a half day), fairly loose pack, and some further tearing of longer ribbons.

Wonderful stuff.

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This blend has an amazing room and tin note. It is on the sweet side so it isn't for everybody. To me the taste is a mix of vanilla and cherry. It was very moist coming out of the tin so recommend drying but not as difficult to light as I thought it would be. The only minor quibble is it has a slight aftertaste almost like burnt sugar or caramel that may not appeal to some. I like sweet aromatics so it is a favorite with me.

KXkid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KXkid (12)

New pipe, new pipe tobacco. This tobacco is a little more moist than I am used to. I opened the tin and let is breath for a moment. The first pipe I packed too tightly. But not so tightly as to be unsmokable. The flavoring is quiet pleasant. And the tobacco being moist makes it easier to handle from tin to pipe. I do see that Sutliffe has a large tobacco selection. I guessed as which one to try first, I guessed correctly.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (8)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I received a free sample of this and fell in love with it after the first bowl. It has a rich, unique flavor without being overpowering. It is sweet, smooth and mellow and never bites. The tin note is absolutely delicious. Molto Dolce smells good enough to eat and the room note is fantastic. Even my 14 year old thinks it smells amazing. He makes himself scarce in a hurry when I break out one of my English blends, but I have to chase him away whenever I'm smoking this stuff. This is my go-to aromatic and I especially enjoy it with my coffee in the morning. If I have one complaint about Molto Dolce it's the fact that it's only available in 1.5 ounce tins.

Labman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Labman (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

AROMA: Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with the pleasant aroma of vanilla and maraschino cherries. It kind of reminded me of a very sweet freshly baked fruitcake with a vanilla custard topping. Yup, it smelled delicious!

FEEL: Like many have said, the tobacco was quite moist (horrible word, I know) so I decided to pack the pipe and do the initial light and let it sit for 45 minutes or so. When I finally did light it and start smoking, I still had a lot trouble keeping it lit. No doubt, some extra dry time will do it good.

SMOKE: As for the taste of the smoke, it was quite mild with a bit of sweet vanilla flavour to it. There was no harshness whatsoever, and I picked up very little on the retrohale. As much as the tobacco kept requiring a relight because of dampness, surprisingly I didn't experience any tongue bite. The room note was very pleasant and had a sweet vanilla aroma, which I prefer to any vanilla scented candle I have tried thus far.

VERDICT: I quite liked Molto Dolce and will continue to smoke the rest of the tin. If for some weird reason something drastic happens to change how I feel while finishing up the tin, I will definitely report back. But, as it stands I would recommend Molto Dolce, especially to those pipers who like a good aromatic now and again!

Marcas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marcas (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I opened, smoked and set this tin aside some 6 months ago. I do this with tobacco's that do not meet my immediate taste. Rather than throw a tobacco away, i give it a bit of a rest before I try it again. This tin still had a pretty strong smell of honey and caramel when I lifted the lid, and was certainly drier than when I first opened it... I packed the bowl of my pipe with some skepticism but was profoundly pleased at what I found. A wonderfully mild tobacco with a ghost of a flavor balanced somewhere between juicy fruit and spiced rum. The room note was decidedly maple/honey. A great smoke for beginners or lovers of tasty aromatics.

friar_jay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
friar_jay (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

We have a winner! I received a tin of this as a free sample, and I must say...I will be purchasing additional tins of this fine tobacco blend. The room note is amazing and the wife has blessed it with her stamp of approval. Molto Dolce is a great indoor smoke. I love the think billowing smoke it produces as you puff away at it. An earlier review said it was like smelling a bakery, I agree. When you first open the can it has a phenomenal smell. It is wet, and does pop at the start but once you get going you will not want to stop. You definitely should consider picking up a can.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Just received this as a free sample from Altadis, and was very pleased from the moment I opend the tin! If you like aromatics, this is one I would certainly recommend. It IS wet right out of the can, like everybody is saying, but I had no trouble lighting it and keeping it going. It does crackle a bit, but that went away after a while. As sweet as it smelled, I was sure it was going to bite the daylights out of my tongue. I was pleasantly mistaken. The room note is great. A friend of mine said she really liked it, and we both smelled the vanilla and a hint of coconut! I love this stuff, and I just bought six more cans! Thanks, Altadis!

LaPipa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaPipa (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is my first review gang. I smoke strictly Aros, and prior to smoking this blend my fave was Admirals Choice - Vanilla Cavendish. However, now the Admiral has been demoted. This blend is now my Favorite!

Tin: Very moist. I actually dried this out some before smoking. The tin aroma was nice and sweet and I picked up what i thought was a hint of Roses?

The Smoke: Some crackeling, which stopped once properly lit. I love the thick, rich and fragrant clouds of smoke this has! Nice and smokey! The tin aroma transfers itself over to the smoke,not like most Aros, where it will dissipate. And the strong aroma stays throughout the smoke.

Overall this has all I like in an Aromatic. From start to finish I loved this blend. Thick and rich, yet cool with no bite at all. 4 stars all the way.

Has anyone picked up the Rose Scent in the Tin as I did?

Kevinalban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevinalban (9)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Bought a can of this at a local B&M that was selling it dirt cheap as it's getting outta the prepackaged biz. Maybe the best 3 bucks Ive spent in a long time. This is dessert. Smokes cool and sweet. The room note is incredible and unique. I have to agree with a few reviews Ive read in that it its almost greasy to the touch. And expect to be getting the taste in whatever you smoke after. I smoked in a cob so I dont mind it lingering. Cleanup after is kinda gooey though. Wont stop me from enjoying over and over again.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I just tried this one today and I really liked it! Its strength was medium, and so was the taste. Another thing I noticed was that it had a excellent room note. Now I would definately recommend this to any pipe smoker, even beginners. Also I have to say the tobacco has almost a greasy texture to it, but that did not turn me off at all. It is a little moist, and it crackles in my pipe until it gets well light. There is so much I could say about this blend, I could go on all day about it. Well it definately tops any other tobacco I have ever smoked. It was much better than Captain Black. I really hope that other pipe smokers see this review and give it a try. This is definately going to be a pipe tobacco that I will always have with me. Although I have not yet tried any other Sutliff Private Stock tobaccos, I think this one gives me a good reason to try others.

Beebo-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Beebo-1 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have been puffing on this particular tobacco for almost a week solid. I have been trying it in different size/type pipes. I find this tobacco quite amazing. It is very wet, but that actually seems to help it out in XL bowl pipes. The taste, while pleasant and smooth in all of my pipes, does seem to be much better in the XL bowl pipe. I have tried drying it out a bit before smoking, and it does change the flavor slightly. I taste more of a honey flavor when it is dryer as opposed to the thick vanilla flavor I get smoking it without drying. The only tobacco I have come across with a sort of similar flavor is Mac baren Vanilla creme. If you tend to prefer aromatics like I do, you should definitely give it a try. If you also happen to have a B&M around the corner that is a dealer, like I do, Then chances are they will give you a tin to sample for free. As this blend is the most common for the company to mail out as a free sample when one is requested.

westgapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
westgapipe (2)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

This is by far my favorite tobacco. Upon opening the tin my mouth started watering. I was hooked after the first bowl and am still hooked several tins later. It has a wonderfully creamy taste and that sweetness remains long after smoking. I give this tobacco to those who are thinking about taking up a pipe and after one bowl they are normally hooked, not just on the tobacco, but pipe smoking too!

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (14)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Received this as a free sample. It had a strong sweet smell on opening the tin and was very wet. I was unhappy with the first bowl because it was hard to keep lit and it bit. Dried it out a lot and tried it again. Much improved. Tasted like it smelled, nice clouds of smoke, easy to keep lit. My wife asked what I was smoking because she liked the smell so much. If you like aromatics, this is definitely worth a try. Give it a lot of drying time. I don't know what the casing is, but I don't think it is possible to completely dry this stuff out.

sdleikam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sdleikam (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Received this free sample and gave it a try. Found it to be quite enjoyable and just the right moisture content for myself. My wife relegates me to the garage to enjoy my leisurely past time. As I was enjoying the Molto Dolce, she stepped into the garage and said, "Now that is how a pipe should smell". Needless to say, she was quite appreciative of the nice, mellow aroma.

tralbertson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tralbertson (3)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

When you first open the tin the aroma is amazing. It's a little wet and pops and crackles when it's first toasted. It soon stops and burns cool with no bite. The room note is vey nice my wife loved it. The flavor was very nice. My only complaint is that it's so wet you really have to clean your pipe to get out all of the residue. If you let it dry out for a few days this seems to help.

Pfeifegeliebter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifegeliebter (9)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I opened the tin and it was awesome. I enjoyed every minute of this smoke. The room note was excellent and my wife loved the smell both lit and unlit. Overall no complaints other than it was wet and I needed to wash my hands after packing the pipe.

highlander999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
highlander999 (8)

I tried this a a pipe club meeting, and really enjoyed it. A little sweeter than I might want for every pipeful, but very nice, and everyone around loved the aroma. If I ever find any again, I will buy a tin.

Cbeemech Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cbeemech (1)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is easily my favorite. Great taste. Thought it was too wet but it seems to be the casing. As a cigarette smoker I tend to smoke very fast. There was no bite with this one. Got it as a free sample and now I'm sold.

Oneill1972 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oneill1972 (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Definitely a very damp tobacco due to the casing. I received a sample at my local pipe shop and after smoking it I immediately went back and bought a tin. It smells great and has a good mild but sweet flavor to it. Makes me want to have a hot chocolate. I also taste a little cinnamon in it which rounds it out well. I had to relight it a few times but that wasn't an issue. I can sometimes smoke a little quickly which can lead to severe tongue bite if I'm not careful but there wasn't any with this. The wife loves the smell of this, also which makes it a slam dunk to smoke in the house. A definite plus in the winter time.

update Warning: this is a great smoke but it will leave your pipe a little soggy so make sure you want ONLY this in your pipe for a while.

rocketflem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rocketflem (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Reminds me of toffee truffles. For a juicy aromatic, this one has surprisingly little bite. Yum yum.

smyers820gm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smyers820gm (1)

This was my first step away from a drug store tobacco and I must say it was a step in the right direction. When I opened the tin my wife grabbed it out of my hand and joked about eating it ! It was a very cool, pleasant smoke. It is a moist but not "soggy" and burns evenly. If you are into aromatics and like a hint of vanilla you might want to give this a try. It is, for me anyway, a definite winner. I give it 5 puffs up !