Sutliff's match for House of Windsor's Revelation. Ribbon cut. Full range of colors, from tan, brown, dark brown, and black.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

This is meant to be Sutliff's version of Revelation before House of Windsor got their hands on it. The HoW version left me with a bad impression all the way around. This is a vast improvement. The medium brown Virginia has a mildly natural sweetness. The burley sports some earthy points, plus a light tangy nuttiness from the burley. The perique is very lightly added for a hint of spice. The latakia brings very mild smokey, woody bass notes to give this mixture a slight flavor push. This is a well rounded, medium tasting blend for the all day smoker who wants a decent nic hit with a lot going for it.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I don't care for aromatics. My experience with Altadis is that they use inferior leaf and heavy casings and toppings. I have sworn never to smoke Altadis again.

But here I am with a cob full of this 'tobacco,' trying to imagine if Einstein really would have smoked anything this bad. I suspect that the original Revelation, the one which fueled so many lectures at Princeton, probably was better than this.

There is no taste of Latakia, no hint of Perique, only the the sweet "plum" casing. Indeed it is difficult to taste any tobacco at all.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco took me at quite surprise. I tried this blend because it's a copy of the copy of what the great Einstein filled his pipe with, I stayed for the taste. I had expected a cheap and heavily case monstrosity that burned before one even put match to leaf. But I was greeted with the wonderful taste of the tobacco and the smell of a library with a camp fire somewhere within the shelves. Odd, I'll admit, but no where near unwelcome. This is quite a fair priced and easily obtainable leaf. It's not going to surprise you, nor is it a latakia or perique bomb, but it is consistant and easy to smoke tobacco.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)

I never had the occasion to try the original when it was available. I wish I had. Unfortunately as a callow lad in the early days of my pipe smoking I was drawn to other likely more advertised products. t seems that I re-discovered "drugstore blends" too late. The fact that Revelation was Einstein's favorite makes smoking even the Altadis analog fun. This is not a "tobacconist's blend". I would deem it a top of the line old school "drugstore blend". It has a light slightly aromatic very Americanized English blend flavor. If smoked intelligently it doesn't bite the tongue and is smooth and light textured in the mouth. There are only ghosts of Latikia and Perique fencing in the background but along with the harmonious Burley/Kentucky/Virginia blend and enhanced by a kind of plummy topping it creates a taste that for me works. I've smoked it filtered and unfiltered. I find it most enjoyable when smoked in a Vauen 9mm filter pipe as it can get overly juicy otherwise. When I have a hankering for a top notch old school, drugstore blend I'll have a go at this stuff. For some reason I especially enjoy it while driving, puffing away as I negotiate traffic. April 29th 2013: I'm lowering my rating of this blend to two stars. Since I originally posted my review I've tried other blends of this style such as "Man's Best Friend" also put out by Altadis and the incredibly delicious and exceptional Beverwyck put out by Hearth and Home (pipesandcigars.com). After those smoking experiences the Revelation blend has been revealed to be lacking in appeal and has made it's way to the I don't smoke this anymore bin. Therefore the reduction in stars.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Revelation Match… As far as how close this match blend is to the original, it's been too many years, but I don't remember the original being as good as this match blend, maybe my tastes have changed over the years but (today) IMO this stuff is an improvement over the original.

As suggested by others on this site, I gave my 4oz sample a good airing out and found this small change made all the difference, for one thing the castings strength was reduced to the background, allowing the taste of the various tobaccos in this blend to nicely waff in and out. As for the the amount of latikia used in this blend, for my taste it is just about right. If I were to add anthing to this blend it would be a dash of C/D burley flake #1 or 2 to get the nicotine level up a bite, but for now I'm enjoying this blend as is.

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)

The fruit flavoring is probably plum, and it is definitely noticeable, although not as pronounced as in the C&D match for Philip Morris Revelation ("Epiphany"). The Latakia is very much in the background. I could not detect its presence. The perique is cut into long ribbons and is very sparse in the mix, so it comes through only occasionally. Unlike the C&D version, this smoke is quite mild and bite-free.

This is not so much an English-like blend with an emphasis on burley as it is a mild traditional American blend with an unusual fruit topping. You might want to jazz it up with some added Latakia and perique.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This seems to burn a bit on the hot side, but not by much. A nice well-balanced everyday blend, with no one component standing out.

There wasn't any fruit/citrus topping that I detected, there was just enough Lat to be noticed once in a while, and those who have never smoked a VAPer wouldn't notice the Perique.

Smokey Joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey Joe (1)

I am new to pipe tobacco smoking so take everything a say with a grain of salt. I find the cut of this tobacco to be interesting. My two ounces came in flakes much like rolled oats only thinner (not to be confused with flake tobacco). I enjoyed the blend but find it hard to put into words. It smoked nice and tasted...smokey. I didn't notice the casement, which isn't to say there is none, it's just not noticeable to my palette.

This seems to be a blend with a lot of character and no focus. To an aromatic smoker, it seems this would be considered an English. To an English smoker I am sure the opposite is true. Those who prefer va-pers might define this as a bad abomination to va-pers.

If you want something that is pleasant and undefined give this a try. However, like all items not easily categorized, you have to take it on it's own terms to enjoy it. I can respect a smoke like that.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

This has a very light contribution of Latakia, but there the similarity to the HOW version of Revelation ends. In fact, I find Altadis's own Count Pulaski closer to the HOW Revelation version of a light "American-English" style (albeit with a mild topping of anise) than this "Revelation Match". Like Revelation, CP has a base of cube Burley, with some darker broken flake Virginia and a slight touch of Latakia. "Revelation Match" on the other hand is primarily coarse cut light and medium brown leaf and I don't detect any "fruit/citrus" tones as advertised. I can't say how close it is to the original Phillip Morris Revelation since I don't recall ever having that old classic but it is certainly nothing like the Revelation I know (of which I still have a few tins).

In comparison to most Altadis blends my sample had little casing or PG and the tobacco arrived loose and fairly dry, somewhat like a C&D blend. I thought that looked promising at first. However, the smoke is on the harsh side and can even bite occasionally which the HOW version of Revelation never did. As light, almost-English-style tobacco goes, this is not a terrible blend, but it is certainly not a Revelation match.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

The Sutliffe tinned version of Revelation received such poor reviews that I decided not to try it. Instead, based on the review below, I ordered the Altadis bulk version. It has a faint resemblance to the original, but is excellent in it's own right. All the components of the Philip Morris recipe are there. A good everyday all day blend. The perique weaves in and out and is applied sparingly. I can taste some turkish playing off the perique. The latakia is almost non-existant. The burley and virginia sing along at full throttle with a light fruity casing. Very good inexpensive blend. I think the Revelation crowd will be very pleased with the result.

Update: Mr. Brizzi's review seemed a little over the top when first read. After a few bowls of this blend, I have to agree with his advise regarding drying. This mix needs to dry out considerably in order to be enjoyed. My first two bowls were too moist with humectants to bring out the marvelous flavor. After considerable drying it is superb. I have raised my rating to 4 stars. Burns beautifuly to the bottom of the bowl. The wonderful flavor is maintained from start to finish. Low nicotene and no bite.

Update 2: I am lowering my rating to 3 stars as the quality of tobaccos used do not warrant the higher rating.

Mr. Brizzi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Brizzi (15)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The close of business for House Of Windsor, left a profound void in the pipe smoking world. When I was younger, Revelation was not a favorite (started pipe smoking in 1965), however, as we age and mature, our tastebuds and general likes and dislikes do, also. Revelation, had become a favorite. It was the prefered pipe smoking mixture of Dr. Albert Einstein, Ph.D, so the older I get, the more like a "rocket scientist", I feel. The Revelation-Match on its own, is outstanding. My liking, is to let this tobacco breathe. If it dries too much, I simply use brewed coffee (I blend 1/3 espresso into brown coffee), and no milk or sugar, simply toss a tablespoon of brewed coffee into the tobacco and then cover it and place it in hot/direct sunlight for one, or as much as three, full days. The taste of coffee compliments tobacco, and the moisture is thoroughly distributed. What a symphony of flavors! Music by Antonio Vivaldi, and Revelation-Match in a pipe. I tend to sip the pipe for nicest result and it brings out flavors. For that matter, longer stemmed pipes and smaller bowl offerings are the way to go, or only fill the bowl half way. This allows the briar to absorb more nicotines (which bring out the grain in the pipe) and a given bowl size may disipate 50% more heat if smoked half full. Less liklihood of foulness as the smoke generally is over by time anything negligent can be commented on. Burley, Virginia, Turkish, Latakia, Perique, and possible casing of citron (candied citrus rind) or my imagination? What a calming and beautiful smoke, first time, every time, even when re-lit multiple times. My own tastes do not go well with butane, so I use any one of my trusty Zippos. Have never had any negative comments regarding the room note. The flavor is most pleasant and you don't have enough stars for me to rate this as in my opinion, it's off the scale at Five Stars. Now, I mix this 1 pound of Revelation-Match with either 4 ounces of Latakia, or 100 grams of Mc Clelland's Blending Latakia, as it produces the most favorite pipe smoking pleasure, to date. Go easy. Don't try to light the entire top of the bowl like some kind of welding torch. Slow it down! Puff easy. Relax. Revelation-Match will give all sorts of pleasant tastes. In days of old, pencil shavings were added to get the "woodsy" campfire tones to any person's pipe. Campfire tones from quality blending and finishing techniques of the tobacco company are very apparent. Mild sweet saltiness, stout burley, nasal filling straight forwardness. You name it, just like a musical composition of a great master. When blended as stated, in my opinion, it's even better. If your tastebuds run sweet, this may not be the one for you. If you enjoy the honest flavors of home cooking, oh, I think you are going to like this one. Try a small quantity first. I simply go for the pound size.