This Scottish mixture is full-bodied and deeply flavored with the finest grades of delicately spiced Oriental tobaccos and cool-smoking Latakia, lively, refreshing, and very satisfying. Discover why this blend has achieved such a great following of discerning pipe smokers.

Notes: Originally introduced in October, 1990 for the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors' Club, is now part of the Club Blends Series.

Blended ByMcClelland
Pleasant, Tolerable

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

O-M-F-G! This is Serious Manna.

Our Master Blenders have done it again -- Scottish Woods joins the exalted ranks of their top-shelf masterpieces Dark Star, Three Oaks (Syrian & Original), British Woods, and Royal Cajun Dark.

When I popped open the tin and sniffed, I knew this was going to be something extraordinary: if velvety smooth and tender have an aroma, it was this. This sublime concoction is a perfectly balanced oriental forward blend that may be the most velvety, smoothest, assertive-yet-delicate, roundest blend I think I've ever sipped. The oriental -- neither too tangy nor spicy, but fulfilling the promise of oh-so-tender -- is the star of this show; but it refuses to hoard the attention, instead preferring to magnanimously share the stage with everybody else, which, like a great actor or athlete, brings out the best in everybody to create a powerhouse, flawless ensemble.

If you like oriental forward english blends (which I'll now assume a Scottish Blend signifies, since there are so many conflicting definitions), you owe it to yourself to try this one. Even if you don't, you should still try it, since this is a masterpiece of the blender's art. This is the one I've been looking for. My highest recommendation!

Skibbereen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skibbereen (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

My...My...My...what a wonderful smoke. That's about all I can say. Buy it...smoke it....you will love it. When I first lit up I immediately thought of a winter night...sitting in the chair with a glass of brandy and good book in hand. I suppose that is because I am a Yankee!! LOL :) My first few puffs brought this to my mind but I must add that this is truly a smoke for all seasons. Just a wonderful smoke. This is the first smoke I have tried classified as "Scottish"!. It won't be my last. I have been a pipe smoker for just over 3 years now and I must say I truly enjoy it. I have tried many English/Balkan blends, which are my favorite, and I tend to gravitate towards them. This blend is very similar to those type of blends but has something extra that stands out. It is very rich in taste...but mild. It has authority with a gentleness of spirit. I am a big Latakia fan and it is there in this blend to be sure. But the other tobaccos just perform so exquisitely around it...and the result is quite lovely. Opening the tin...it was the usual steak sauce smell. MC tins are notorious for that. But they do not taste like that. The leaf was semi dry. Just the way I prefer it. Lovely rich deep chocolate color with flecks of reddish blonde. The tin was packed nicely with no unwanted debris. Packed just fine. I always use the pinch...tamp...pinch... tamp until we are topped off. The charring light was orgasmic. Wow...the taste was outstanding. Creamy smooth and it stayed that way down the middle and to the end. And it smoked evenly and true down to the bottom. I only had to relight once. No dottle. Ash was darkish black and gray. If you like English/Balkans and light Latakia you need to check this blend out. My guess is you will be pleased. Five Stars lads.

Pipe Used: Peterson Star 309

Age When Smoked: Tin Date 01/2013 Smoked 09/2014

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes (Unfortunately)

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

Typical "English" brown-to-black mixture with a light and refreshing tin nose of mostly Virginias with a hint of Turkish. I was therefore expecting something along the lines of McClellands Green label oriental series. I got that and much more.

Once again, the masters of Virginia leaf show their forte with stellar Virginias, moderately spiced with orientals and topped off with a bit more than a whisper of latakia. The lack of unflavored Cavendish might keep this from being a true Scottish (or not, depending on your definition) but it was not lacking in mellow sweetness. McClellands has a knack for producing milder mixtures that are rich in flavor and Scottish blends are generally so, at least for me. Delicately spicy and moderately complex, with low nicotine. This can sit proudly alongside Germain's 1820 and Rattrays Jocks or Highland Targe. I preferred it ever so slightly over the Rattrays and it was close to the 1820 and just different enough to make them both staples in my rotation. Try this if you're a seasoned Virginia smoker and want to see what the "oriental mixture" fuss is all about. You'll find your favorite leaf out front and center and the others in mild support. Excellent job again by McClellands!

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Robinhood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robinhood (1)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

I just tried this blend for the first time and was very pleased with it. Initial taste was sweet with a great aroma. Half way down the bowl I noticed a little spice and sourness that was very appealing. Leaves a nice taste in your mouth after wards. Very enjoyable and plan to stock up on this one.

Yes, Scottish Woods might lack in nicotine, but the taste and richness of the tobacco varieties included will make it very appealing for those who seek a great Scottish mixture that is low in nicotine.

I do believe that it has some unsweetened Black CA as well, which makes it a true scottish mixture.

A good offering from McClelland. The low level of nicotine is what prevents me from giving it 3 stars.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Very Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tasty, spicy, somewhat sour blend, and it it very very flavourfull. Smokey like old dog or 3 oaks syrian. The biggest drawback, like every Mclelland tobacco I have tried, it it's weak in nicotine. Really really weak.

This is no good for me, a shame because I love the taste. If you don't like nicotine this could be the one...

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

Scottish Woods is very similar to oriental no 14, but the LA and OR dominate, rather than the Stoved VA as is the case with no 14. It is richer, stronger, and less sweet.A true Scottish Mixture! This is a very good discovery for me and will rebuy. If you like rich, spicy and smokey, then try Scottish Woods.

monbla256 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
monbla256 (3)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I've smoked McClellands English/Balkan/Scottish blends for over 25 years now and this is the first time I've tried this one and I've been missing a FANTASTIC smoke !! I am a Latakia lover and usually smoke Oriental #14 as my daily smoke ( 4/5 bowls a day) and though it is described as a Full Scottish blend, this one is truely a FULL SCOTISH blend in all the sense of that description! First, i did not detect the "McClelland ketchup" scent when I opened the tin, just a full, spicy aroma that gave a hint of what was to come. The moisture level in my tin was just right not needing any drying out and the tobacco was a nice ribbon cut easy to pack and light. Reminded me of the old Dunhill 965 ( pre-Murray days) in looks, texture and burn qualities. It lights easily and stays lit well through the whole bowl. I smoked my first two bowls in two different sized briar pipe, one a group 3 Dunhill Bulldog, the other in a larger Savanelli Autograph and this last bowl in a medium sized Meerschaum and it was in the Meer that the whole thing came together!! It has that nice full Latakia smoky taste and feel in the mouth at first with the Latakia falling back and the spicy Orientals taking charge with the Latakia just there till the bowl was thru. This is not a STRONG tobacco, rather a FULL BODIED blend that has several aspects in a nice balanced blend. This definatly goes on my "list" of tobacco's to always have !

A quality mature tobacco, my tin dated as 6 months old. Not a sweet Virginia component, but nice balance. I find the spice a little too hard on my tongue so this will go to the cellar.

Update (10/29/11) Well a few months in the cellar and time to breath and we have a winner. This starts out smoky (lat.)and sweet & sour ( McCVV, McC Vinegar Virginia), I love it. Then the Latikia fades quickly and the Orientals take over, but at a sip they stay in perfect balance with the McCVV, no harsh spice or bite. This is smooth, interesting and flavorful. Just don't try to push it. I just tried this against Rattrays RR and this wins hands down, much smoother and bigger Oriental flavor (Smyrna leaf I believe), earthy , musty with a topping of Sweet and sour. This is my "VaO" for the rotation. I have to agree with reviewer,"Sinister Topiary"

Update ( 9/20/12 ) Call me crazy, but this is very similsr to Chelsea Morning

I agree with Puro. This is a keeper, for sure. Excellent Orientals, fine Virginias and smokey Cyprian Latakia combine to create this wonderful full Scottish mixture.

Looking forward to seeing what a few years in Ye Olde Cellar does to this already sublime mixture. Many thanks to the McNeil's for bringing this one back!

Highly recommended.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

I just popped this tin a few days ago and my preliminary thoughts are it's a keeper. In a large bowl I found it acceptable but mostly the latakia was at the forefront. Next I tried it in a small bowled canadian and it really started to sing with all components complementing each other. I'm looking forward to exploring this blend further.