Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Blend TypeAmerican
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Full

3.1
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking Ringlow Syrian Reserve on and off for the past year with mixed feelings about it. It is mild, very mild. I find most McClellend English's on mild side when it comes to Lady N, and Syrian Reserve is even mild by those standards. I generally want more of a punch than this blend offers. Also like many McClelland English blends, it takes a very long time to dry, something I really dislike. On the upside, RSR is very smooth and balanced. I think it could be an all day blend for many folks. The quality of the tobacco is high and the Orientals and Latakia really play together well. I detect only a hint of sweetness here. Lovers of mild English blends that still have an ample amount of Latakia will be pleased by RSR. Recommended.

Update: I was lucky enough to obtain several tins of the Levin era of this blend (which is not listed under Levin International BTW), and it is fantastic. If a rare tin pops up, it is worth the extra money. Four stars all the way.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (32)

I have smoked a full tin of RSR and my first impression of it is that it burns smooth and mild with no bite. But I have to agree with “Mr. Big” below, something doesn’t agree with me in this blend. It leaves my mouth dry and there is no sweetness even though the tin is aged. I get the opposite of that with some bitterness. I don’t dislike this blend enough to give up on it as there are more tins in our cellar. But I won’t be opening another any time soon.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)

Ringlow Syrian is a bit of an odd duck. The paltry number of reviews here suggests that it hasn’t struck much of a chord with smokers since its re-release. Maybe others are as baffled as I’ve been with Ringlow. I haven’t really known what to make of Ringlow and I’m actually smoking from a tin first opened 5 years ago. I didn’t love it enough to stick with it when I first tried it, probably because it was purchased alongside a bunch of other re-released McClelland blends that were more immediately appealing.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Ringlow, but it hasn’t been marketed particularly well. Sure, there’s some Syrian Latakia in here alongside some other Orientals, but the more I smoke this, the more convinced I am that Ringlow is primarily a matured, stoved Virginia with some compelling seasoning.

In the tin, it’s mostly a ribbon-cut mix of black and brown leaf with some chunks of dark Virginia flake here and there. The star of the show here is the Virginia, which is reminiscent of what we find in something like Dark Star. It’s sweet, and loaded with fruit cake aromas of spiced plum, clove, and raisin. The Orientals serve as light seasoning for these Virginias, and that is the strength of Ringlow.

Sometimes when I smoke this, it seems to be all Virginia—mild, fruity, sweet—and I’m happy enough. Perhaps I’m just a little miffed at the word “Syrian” in the blend name. Other times the incense of the Syrian makes itself known and I’m very happy. It really works and conjures up plum pudding beside a cedar wood fire.

I’ve enjoyed finishing up this tin, but I have to admit that I don’t know if I want more of it. It’s probably a flaw in my own thinking, but Ringlow doesn’t fit very neatly into the categories around which my desires have been shaped. It has too much Latakia to satisfy when I want a straight Virginia and too little for when I want a big Latakia mixture.

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 5 years old

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice balance between the Latakia and Orientals but I don't find much sweetness from the Virginia. Smooth , no bite or spice, mild and could be an all day smoke, however, I don't find this very complex. Kind of Blah, I don't know why I would crave this. I'm not a fan of the particular Orientals in this blend , has a strange flavor to me. Also, hard to light and stay lit. 3 Oaks Syrian much better and no "funky" taste!

Updated 7/16/12, After a year in the cellar ,I went to finish up this tin, somewhat improved. My initial reaction was ," there is that strange Oriental ( Syrian?)", but as I smoked this all day I acually found it interesting. Still won't buy again. FYI,was smoking this back to back with Rattrays Black Mallory, this is similar ( don't know if I was getting some pipe ghosting) but this is much smoother. 2 1/2 stars

jds669 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jds669 (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first tobacco I bought when deciding to smoke a pipe. So far, it is my favorite and I smoke it every evening.

Smooth with no bite.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

A very excellent blend from McClelland, very smooth and complex, just makes a near perfect smoke right out of the tin. It packs effortlessly, stays lit quite well and does not get moist or too hot. I find it the best when paired with my Savinelli Prince. I will be buying much more of this blend.

As I smoke it more, it is even outpacing my normal fav, Three Oaks Syrian. It is just so robust and pleasant to smoke, its an ease and joy to keep it going, no tongue-bite at all. Again, highly reccomended.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is an incredible blend! To my tastes, this is London Broil! I never had the original but I wish I had! A perfect afterdinner smoke. Another home run by McClelland.