A very special Virginia Flake, created to celebrate the exceptional tobaccos of the United States of America. Red, Lemon and Orange Virginias, aged through summer sweats for over five years, then hard-pressed in cakes to age again, to mellow and marry and form this rich, bold tobacco long sought after by devoted flake smokers.

Notes: Originally introduced in December, 1993 for the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club, is now part of the Club Blends Series.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

3.6
Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (71)

I believe that Boston 1776 is one of the BEST ALL-AROUND Virginia flake tobaccos on the market today! I am something of a fan of McClelland Virginias (I have been smoking them since they came on the market) and I certainly enjoy several of the African-sourced Virginia offerings from Lakeland and the Jersey Islands, UK. But for my tastes, Boston 1776 simply surpasses most other VA flakes, even the other VA flakes from McC . To be sure, there are VA flakes that are stronger, richer and sweeter, but 1776 seems to strike a near perfect balance.

In any number of instances I would be more than willing to state that Virginia tobaccos benefit by the addition of something else—a little Perique, some Turkish or a combination of both. Boston 1776 doesn’t need any help whatsoever—it is more than capable of standing on its own!

Pipe Used: Dragon Claw & Topkapi Egg Meerschaum

It's as simple as this," McClelland does great Virginias and this is one of their best". A touch of Mc Vinegar, gives a sweet & sour taste and stays the entire pipe ( agree with reviewer, "DK" ,below in that it has the sour touch like Perique, but without the pepper). Very flavorful, interesting and doesn't get ashy. It's closest comparison is, "Blackwoods Flake", but lighter color and less prep time. This blend is smooth with no bite. I'll smoke this anytime of day

There was a recent discussion on a pipe forum regarding all of the various Club Blends that McClellands has re-introduced and how they could all be different. I've smoked several and find them all to have different characteristics and tastes. This one is one of the finest.

As the previous reviewer mentioned, this is similar looking in the tin to Epitome. But there the similarity ends. Where Epitome was very good but subdued, this one is boisterous in its flavor profile. A rich tasting, medium bodied smoke with a spiciness that made me wonder if they had forgotten to mention the perique. No stewed fruit or pepper flavor/tingle but an excellent spicy flavor with a sweet and mellow background. No overemphasis on the lemon virginia. This one tasted not too dissimilar to a broken flake version of Rich Virginia Ribbon, which is also a staple for me. Epitome and Quantum were fairly middle of the road and I can't find a place for Aurora, but this one hits my tastebuds dead center. Very assertive in a non-confrontational way, excellent tasting, clean burning, mild nicotine and that wonderful McClellands matured virginia scent. This is highly recommended for all VA lovers. Don't pass this one by!

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (48)

This is a beautiful blend, and I'm stunned to see it has less than a dozen reviews on here at the time of writing. As a Virginia fan, I'd always been slightly underwhelmed by McClelland's VAs, and this was a massive exception. Blackwoods and Dark Star get all the focus and rave reviews, but I'd put Boston 1776 above both of those. It's a fairly rich, medium-bodied smoke and has those slightly pastry-type notes that you find in some Virginia flakes here in England (SG's FVF and BBF mainly, but also Dunhill Flake, which is, of course, blended elsewhere now). I'll restrain myself before waxing too lyrical, but it's a delicious blend that seems to have fallen under the radar here for some unfathomable reason. Maybe it's the humdrum tin design - who knows...

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)

Bringing together richness, sweetness, earthiness, spiciness and depth, Boston 1776 is all about balance! It is a wonderfully intriguing smoke that can perk you up or chill you out and can be smoked at any time of day. It is delicious!

The red, lemon and orange Virginias seem to have combined to become a unique strain of tobacco incorporating all of their different qualities. I get the best results by rubbing it out thoroughly and letting it dry a bit. Try lighting, tamping and re-lighting for a few puffs. Then set the pipe aside for about ten minutes before lighting it for the duration. That really works for this smoker.

It is one of the best Virginias in the McClelland lineup, IMHO, of course, and I agree with the esteemed DK that it is in some ways reminiscent of Rich Virginia Ribbon. This last tin was from 2009. It develops incredibly with age!

If you like Virginias this is a must. It’s wonderful. Or, if you are interested in Virginias, but haven’t gotten in to them yet, this would be a great place to start.

Very highly recommended! Thanks McClelland!

Pipe Used: Several, reserved for Virginias w/out top flavor

Similar Blends: McClelland Rich Virginia Ribbon.

thejavaman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thejavaman (3)

I'm not much of a Virginia Flake type of guy (so far), but I was very pleasantly surprised with this tobacco. I rubbed it out & let it dry for about 30 minutes & I was rewarded with an easy packing, clean burning, very flavorful blend that I'll definitely be seeking out again. I agree with others that it has a slight Perique type flavor without the pepper blast. Very refined, with a light fruitiness & great matured Virginia flavors. Highly recommended.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (56)

Dang this is good stuff. If you are a Virginia flake smoker, this is as good as it gets. Honestly, its just wonderful flavorful mellow and creamy. The nic hit is just below medium, so its not without some muscle. But if you think of great Va. flakes....Gawith's FVF, and Dunhill flake, and some of McClelland;s others...the brown label flakes, and maybe cornell & Diehl's Opening Night...this is perhaps the best of all, and thats saying something. Thew Gawith full virginia flake has always been the gold standard and Id say it has a touch more nicotine, but not by that much. Otherwise this is the equal to any.

Purchased From: 4noggins

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (66)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Everybody talk about Lat. bombs,but this is the real virginia bomb.A explosion of flavour and aroma that hits in the center of perception of a Va. lover.Nothing compares,out Mc Clelland planet,this fabulous flake.By the way not easy to rub out but in perfect moist for smoking from the tin.Aged to the right point,I really can´t be sure if cellaring could improve this master piece of tobacco blending.So it´s true I´m no able to put 1776 up or down respecting other virginias of the house.Of course is present the infamous ketchup scent for ones and most exquisite maturing aroma to other happy people like this humble reviewer.I wonder why so scarce opinions.To be fully honest I declare no biting at all but in meers or cobs,in a briar becomes,for me,overhemly strong.

Pipe Used: meerschaums

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: other wonderful Mc Clelland Va.

This is a wonderful lighter va/per than my Saint James Woods (my main smoke). It's a palette cleanser smoke. The flavor is a lemony rich virginia with a dash of perique hiding in the background. It's a very light but complex virginia flavor. Mine came dry which is odd for McClelland. Doesn't really matter though. Awesome smoke. You can't go wrong with this if it's your thing. It's a mild to medium virginia flake with a pinch of perique. Mild to Medium in the nicotine department.

Pipe Used: large lovat

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

This is a small cut flake (McC style) that is very similar in color to Epitome, a medium brown perhaps slightly darker. This is not as well rounded as Epitome but still extremely good with a slightly sharp taste that is very alluring. This should age very well. Great for the Virginia lover!

12-7-10 UPDATE: Just opened another tin and I was right it has aged magnificently. A deep rich virginia that merits cellaring several tins.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (154)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Intensely flavoured, beautifully complex, this is a reminder that we have tobacco blenders today at least the equal of years gone by.

Just stunning, and already well described by earlier reviewers so I will forgo needless additional description.

I found this burnt perfectly straight out of the tin. This is a special occasion tobacco that deserves to be savoured.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (168)

The quintessential full Virginia flake, full as in flavor, balance and creaminess. Slightly tangy and sweet at the beginning, it turns into a brioche and fig flavor of American Virginias as the pleasure endures.

A Virginia lover owes to himself to try the best and purest expression of an American Virginia flake, enough said.

I've now had the original and the most recent revival of Boston 1776, but cannot compare the two now as my original tin is long gone and I did not take notes. A nicely put together Virginia flake with more grassy notes than what I am used to from McClelland's. Not a lot of depth to the leaf, but I did get what I call fresh sparkle as the Virginia flakes within are nicely aged and tangy. A somewhat mild Virginia and typical of McClelland's preparation of such leaf, there is no bite.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (168)

This wonderful blend of orange, lemon and red Virginias has a delicious, full round taste that is very satisfying. Although I found it difficult to rub out and keep lit, it is worth the effort. In fact, I bought a Cuisinart spice and nut grinder, which made this an easy task. There is a little tang but no sharpness and the quality of the Virginias used are first rate. This is the most flavorful and nuanced Virginia I have ever enjoyed. My all-time favorite. An exceptional blend that only McClelland could produce. Update: I've found that this is also excellent mixed with mild Virginia blends. My preference is to mix this with McClelland's Rich Virginia Ribbon. 60% 1776 to 40% Rich Virginia Ribbon. Update: I grind the flakes to a small ribbon cut, which improves the burning qualities and produces a milder taste, which I prefer. Update: I love this blend mixed 6 to 4 as described above. A multitude of nirvana moments in every bowl. Definitely my desert island blend.

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

More nicely prepared Va flakes from McC; these are ~ 1/8" thick and very densely compacted dark brown, orange to yellow tobaccos. Not much of the McC ketchup smell from the tin but still inviting. Much drier from the tin than other McC flakes but still smokes cool and smooth. I don't rub out my flakes and the thickness/density of these flakes required numerous relights and reduced the smoke intensity. BulkVAs and VA/Pers from McC and others are just as good with a cheaper unit cost.

Pipe Used: various bowl sizes

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (72)

I guess I'll finally throw in the towel on this one and promise to get back if something changes for the better.

The tin of Boston 1776 used for the review had 3 years on it, which I hoped would make the aged tobacco inside even better. Presentation is dense, separated flakes about the consistency of the average fruitcake, with a look and feel that suggests it is dryer than other flakes I am accustomed to smoke straight from the tin. Tin note is mostly aged, pressed VA, sweetened and subtly rich, with a spice medley that I kept sniffing until I came up with apple pie spices, including ginger.

And now, A Tale of Two Tobaccos: Lighting this tobacco and keeping it lit has been an adventure. I suppose the humectant is propylene glycol, but whatever it is, it hasn't worked for me so far. If I dry it out, the best part of it disappears. If I smoke it near original moisture, it hardly burns. One way or the other, I cannot simply fold, twist and stuff a flake, but I am stuck rubbing it out, drying it, and then rubbing some more, then packing it very loosely. No matter what I've done, I've had to re-light often.

Smoked near "tin-wet", B1776 is rich, quite sweet, and the spices make for a fairly heady, exotic smoke, right from the match. The ginger is like Perique without the pepper or sour figs, and there does seem to be just a dash of Perique, too. When it's burning well, there is plenty of rich, aromatic smoke. Basically, the aroma parallels the taste. Nothing changes much, re-light after re-light, as it is smoked down, except the best of the aroma and taste slightly concentrate. Aftertaste is brief spent campfire, quickly followed by the sweetened VA, followed by a spices redux.

Dried out for some time in my dry air, I still have to struggle to light it and keep it burning. The VA is prominent, less sweet, with a mild Perique chaser. Spices are MIA, except the faintest ginger. Aroma is like a mild VaPer with scant Per.

Maybe I have to just bite the bullet and dry this out overnight, or something, in order to actually smoke it. In that case, however, I suppose it would not be nearly so exceptional as the McC blurb about 5-year-old VA and sweat processing suggests.

At this point, no reason to continue beating a dead horse.

This sample was given to me by a good friend in my online tobacco club. This sample burned ok out of the pouch, produced a moderate amount of smoke and minimal tongue bite. This had a taste of hay and smelled of caramelizing sugar, but there wasnt too much more to it...which is ok since many VAs can be singular in taste and aroma. Glad I had the chance to try a new VA...thanks friend.