Black Cavendish and golden Virginias are seasoned with dark chocolate and nougat to create a smooth, elegant evening smoke, gentle yet full-flavored.

Notes: Originally introduced in May, 2010 for the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club, is now part of the Club Blends Series.

Blended ByMcClelland
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.6
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mostly black in the tin with a heavy scent of nougat and basic black Cavendish. Extremely wet and sticks to the fingers right out of the tin. I smoked one bowl at tin moisture and it was predictably goopy, although not as much as I feared. I dried out the next 3 bowls and the goop lessened while the flavor remained. This contained both narrow ribbons (the brown) and fat ribbons (black).

I found this one interesting if not particularly enjoyable. The flavoring was applied with a more conservative hand than the Caramel Rush I recently smoked. The black Cavendish ruled and it was a typical black cav flavor. The chocolate seemed to be applied to the more brown tobacco and it was light, while the nougat flavoring may have been applied to the dark tobacco, which was slightly heavier. Not quite zero tobacco taste but if the taste of tobacco is what you're looking for, you probably aren't an aromatic fan. As has been said before, once you discover the benefits of a non-aro, it's not easy to enjoy aromatics much. This one fit that adage quite nicely. Nothing amiss on this one from an aro point of view, as this one was typical - nothing special. I mixed the remainder of this with some C&D Kelly's Coin and got something moderately enjoyable with a nice "chocolate tobacco" flavor. By itself, this might make a pleasant dessert tobacco but I prefer my blends more natural. If you're an aro fan, you likely won't be disappointed with this. If you're not a fan, this probably won't turn you into one.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I am a big fan of the Greater Kansas City Pipe Show due to the terrific hospitality put on by the club's membership and the job they do in putting on a quality, fun show. I am also a long-time fan of the hard working people at McClelland's and the way they support pipe shows around the country by not only participating as a vendor, but for providing special "show blends" as well.

For non-aromatic and aromatic fans, Chocolate Silk should be a bell ringer as a change of pace tobacco with unique flavor. There is nothing else out there like it. The Virginia is of outstanding quality and the Cocoa/Chocolate misted Black Cavendish is done with expert care. It burns evenly and doesn't goop up your pipe. The flavoring is "fun," and the Virginia leaf presents itself to the point where the smoker knows he/she is puffing on tobacco. Dark Chocolate in bitter sweet bursts enhances the experience.

While this blend will not go down as one of the all-time great tobacco blends, it is exactly what it was created to be and for that I award Chocolate Silk four stars.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I recieved a sample of this from a friend about 1 month ago. The aroma is absolutely intoxicating. It is a very dark tobacco, predominantly black cavendish. It somes in a chunky cut and is a little to the moist side. It packs easily and lights well. I have had many chocolate tobaccos and they all fall short- very short. This was a pleasant surprise. It tasttes very similar to a cup of DARK COCOA. IT is extremely smooth with ZERO bite. Very 1 dimensional- and when I drink cocoa I like 1 dimensional. Sweet and luscious. All aromatic smokers need to try this. 3 stars.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I really like this blend, its the first time I really noticed a chocolate flavor in a tobacco. I tend to like aromatics and dark cavendish so this blend is quite nice. I smoke this blend slowly so no problem with tongue bite. It is a bit on the pricey side so I will not make this an everyday smoke but I definitely will keep this on hand when I want a nice leisurely smoke. A really good beginners blend.

Spizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spizzo (4)
Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco tastes like Prince Albert. Not horrible or even bad, just really expensive for what is really a heavily cased drug store blend.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

found this to be a decent tobacco. smoked in a corn cob pipe and it didnt burn hot or wet. it burned to a grey ash and was a plesent smoke. most liked the tin scent and the smoke scent. all and all i found this to be a good tobacco and would purchase again if i got the opportunity.

samhain5150 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samhain5150 (5)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Strong

This is garbage. The price of this is out of control for the absolute shit quality of the tobacco. While this smells very heavy of nougat in the tin it smokes hot and wet. DO NOT put this in your expensive briars. This is the closest thing I have smoked to the drug store tobaccos that ruin good pipes. Its absolutley covered in what seems to be humectant and the room note afterward smells of cheap generic brand cigarrettes. If you insist on smoking the vile low quality tobacco at least by yourself a cheap cob to ruin.

wrapper23 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wrapper23 (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Because of a shortage of SG Chocolate Flake, I went searching for something aromatic with a taste of chocolate as a substitute for the SG. This tobacco is not it. However, it is a fine, fine, smoking experience, if you're in the mood for something light and tasty.

I had my second bowl after dinner with a glass of iced coffee and Miles Davis' Nefertiti on the turntable. I used a large-bowled Johs.

The tobacco is on the moist side and smells great from the tin, as you might expect from an aromatic. Dark chocolate with a hint of fruitiness was what I could pick up. It lit with the first match and stayed lit.

"Chocolate Silk" is the perfect name for this. The chocolate taste is definitely more than subtle, but not overwhelming. It stays consistent throughout the bowl with only a slight hint of Virginia. Maybe just right. And it smokes like pure silk. No bite through the nose or on the tongue. I would prefer more strength, like the SG flake, but that is not what this tobacco is about. The ash from the pipe was fine and white; no gooey mess.

All in all, I'm not sorry I bought it. Time will tell if I buy again but that is just me. If you're looking for a Cavendish with all the right ingredients, this could be it. A very cool smoke in all senses of the word.