In the deep, dark, middle of the night, you stroll along a narrow country path. A cloud of fragrant smoke from your favorite pipe trails behind you. You have ventured out to taste the flavor of the night, examine the shadows, the starlight, to savor the moonglow. You smoke Nocturne, mysterious, intriguing, rich and profoundly flavorful. It is a very good night.

Notes: Originally introduced in July, 1993 for the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club, is now part of the Club Blends Series.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

3.1
florissantti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
florissantti (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Well, I created an account on here simply to review this tobacco.

I found it at this place that has over 300 different tin tobaccos. I told the guy I wanted a flavorful english blend and he recommended this to me. I liked the description and he had a sample I could smell (smoke, too, but I was in a hurry so I just smelled). It smelled nice so I got it.

On the first light I could tell I had a winner. Deep and delightful but without any sharp edges or outlying flavors. It's got some subtle spiciness in there but it's mostly rich and dark and smooth. I've had this stuff burning quite hot and it doesn't bite even in the slightest, which surprised me as I've never had a tobacco behave so well when hot before.

It takes a few goes to get it to light up but once you do it stays burning and leaves a nice ash. The aftertaste will have you licking your lips and wishing for another pipe.

Conclusion: If you're a pipe smoker I cannot imagine you feeling anything less than love for this blend.

dtboomer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtboomer (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

My shop put this out today for us to sample. It had a little ketchup smell upon first opening the tin. However, that faded and she had that rich English/latakia aroma. It packed well and was tasty at the match. I really was excited to see how it tasted down to the bottom. I was not disappointed. It burned all the way with only two relights. I purchased two tins and will give it a good going over this weekend. It may be my next go-to blend. If you like a good medium English, this may be your next favorite. More to follow.

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (6)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Opening the tin reveals a soft leathery spice rounded with scent of figs and BBQ and it remains like this till its dry for packing, something that will not require much effort as the wetness its very mild. If you let it dry properly it will lit well. And goes along smoothly. The first impression its kinda gentle, perhaps too much as it comes flat with not much revelations, it will take the first quarter of the pipe to change the enduring flat smoke turning as a soft hit of white wine with fruity after taste on the base of the tongue, this is the peak of the experience and this sensation will get always surrounded by the ghost of the initial smoke. Past the half of the bowl the fruity aftertaste goes away and some distant leather spiceness surrounds the tongue. The end its a flashback from the beginning, soft, smooth smoke, pleasant but not amazing. The room note its pleasant but simple, not demanding nor strong with a very light spirit.

Ideal indeed for a fresh night, its a tobacco for dim lights and shadows, with two dimensions and practical for beginners just like me discovering tastes and structures, its own simplicity makes it special for minimalist moments. Id say perfect for just one small bowl and a day where you want everything to be simple.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Smooth but hard to keep lit. I feel like I'm puffing way too hard to keep this lit. Not a big blast of flavor, but pleasant. Good crossover blend for that , English beginner.

Updated 3/20/2014- Well, whenever I see that I got a negative vote, I want to revise my initial review so here goes ( tried again with 1 1/2 years of cellar time);

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)

Leathery aroma in the tin. Just a slight whiff of McC's "ketchuppy" scent. Smooth and rich on first light. Rich and full on the tongue, zero bite. Overall, very rich and smooth. Not super interesting or complex, but satisfying. I'll finish the tin, but I prefer Frog Morton over this.

2 and 1/2 stars.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am surprised that there haven't been more reviews of this blend given its quality. Nocturne greets the nose with a leathery richness. It arrives too wet, and takes quite a while to dry, not unlike many of the McClelland English blends. Once prepared, it's easy to pack and burns cleanly. The flavors are medium to full with Latakia and Orientals taking the lead. Those that enjoy McClelland English blends will find this to be among their best blends. It lacks the strength to keep me interested and as a result won't be part of my rotation. Recommended.

The Specifist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Specifist (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Smells and tastes like leather. That's a good thing.

ChiefDavisUSN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChiefDavisUSN (2)

I live in Tampa Florida and often visit my favorite pipe and tobacco shop, the original Edwards P&T. Im in this place every Saturday well and this old guy that comes in every Saturday as well he introduced me to Nocturne, for one thing I really like the McClelland line. I'll tell you this if you want a great smoke Nocturne is it. I always make sure I have at least 6-7 tins with me when Im deployed at sea.

Skibbereen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skibbereen (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Well...the tin was opened...the note was A1 steak sauce. I immediately wanted a steak. Do all you other fellow pipe smokers notice that every McClelland tin you first open smells like steak sauce. Thank goodness they don't taste like it. I really enjoy MC. I have never had a bad one. I thought the tobacco was rather dry when I first opened it so I packed a bucket straight away. I like my tobacco a tad on the moist side so I thought that this needed no drying. Nice ribbon cut and very clean. No unwanted debris. Packed well using the sprinkle, tap, sprinkle method. Tamped three times and fired it up. First draws were light and delicious. Rich white smoke with a very firm flavor but mild at the same time. I like the taste of Latakia and it's there and it's mild. Maybe I had steak on my mind but the end of the exhale of the puff (I blow out my nose) left the after taste of the fat on a wonderfully charred steak right off the grill. I did have a bit of a struggle keeping the bowl lit. So I would recommend you dry it out for a bit before packing. As I said...I thought it was a bit dry when I opened it and I still had a struggle keeping it going. Even with all the relights (4) the experience was very nice. The flavor stayed pretty steady down the line. It didn't get bitter or sour half way down the bucket despite the relights. It smoked nice and dry all the way down. No dottle. It was smooth and flavourful. No bite either. I had to break the speed limit a few times and it didn't leave any tire marks on my tongue. I could taste the Oriental/Turkish and Virginia and they all remained well behaved. I do not like straight Virginia so I am sensitive to it. Floating around together with the Latakia they were like The Rock on Seraquil. I believe I could easily make this an all day smoke. What I really enjoyed was the mild tangy taste it left on my palate. But it was sedate...you know what I mean? So there you have it lads. I liked it...I endorse it. It's a fine smoke!! Sorry I can't tell you if it could be a possible "wife approved" smoke...I am single and my nose is D7. Happy Puffing Lads!!! My next review will be: Town Topic by McClelland.

Pipe Used: Peterson Pre Republic 357

Age When Smoked: Day I received it in the mail

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes (Unfortunately)

Similar Blends: Milan Tobacconists - Colonial Pastime, Peterson - Irish Flake (a mild version).