4noggins.com

A balanced blend with Virginia, Carolina and pure Louisiana Perique, this unique square-cut pipe tobacco encompasses flavor, maturity, and mellow smoking. The several growths interact and the skill of the blender is exercised in arriving at a balance to tempt the palate. Rediscover this classic. You will be richly rewarded.

Notes: "Ashton Revival" introduced at Chicagoland Pipe Show in May, 2010

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Where to Buy 4noggins.com
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
2.9

I smoked a fair bit of this in the mid-90's when Robert McConnell blended it. It was a classic, second only to the same blenders Old London Pebblecut. I smoked my last tin of the original a few years back, as well as the first iteration of McClellands and also the K&K version. Each subsequent change was not for the better. And now we have Version 4.0.

Still a nice mottled square cut (kinda...a bit of a mishmash but the squares are there, too!) with an excellent tin note of perique fruitiness and hay. Now I like blends with a lot of perique, but this one either went a bit overboard on that condiment or the virginias just aren't mature enough to offset the plummy nature of the perique. Nice depth, but a bit too heavy of a lean toward the spicy. And I hate to fall into the trap of snobbiness, with the old "it was better by its original blender", but I believe it with this one, as this version lacks the balance and complexity of the original. This is a good blend, but the original achieved a level scarcely found by me - an absolute classic. Even so, this one is worth a go if you like a heavy hand on the perique. Quite frankly, I'd like to think I gave this a fair shake, but I'm just not sure. I've found better VaPers out there, but this one might just be The One for someone else.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am going to make this simple--this was a MAJOR disappointment!! I certainly remember this blend from the middle-to-late 80's when it was presented in a broad cut and the strength and quality of the Virginias was sufficient to stand-up in the face of such a heavy dose of Perique. My tin, dated May 1, 2009, has certainly undergone some aging, so I'm relatively certain that aging is not an issue. Perhaps my expectations were set too high, but this blend is sadly very out-of-balance--this represents a mismatch of tobaccos that did NOT exist in the original blend. The "types" of tobaccos used now in its current form may be "similar" to the original, but they are by NO MEANS the same! The original was quite enjoyable; this reissue is not even close! My tastes typically lean toward the heavier VAPER tobacco blends (my favorite being BEACON EXTRA, another McClelland product), so this is not the issue. And I normally enjoy many of the McClelland tobacco blends (especially the Virginias) .... but not this one! My advice--go elsewhere!!

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I was sent the Ashton Revival tins to sample and review and this is the first one I popped the top on. This Virginia/Perique square cut blend really packs some strength and loads of flavor. Not quite as gentle on the palate as I would prefer, but I imagine some age will really make this one shine. Easy to light and keep lit with typical coolness displayed by quality leaf. If you try and decide you like this one now, make sure you cellar a few tins for aging.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

Black Parrot is less well done than Pebblecut, which I love. The Per is there, the VA and Carolina too but they just do not seem to marry well together. The result is a somewhat bland flake to which taste is provided by the Per which sometimes is a bit too much. So, basically, a lack of balance between the componants. Maybe it would get better with some aging but I will not risk buying another tin.

scorpio2billion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scorpio2billion (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't know if I just can't get my head around a VaPer blend or what, but this is cloying to me. Dense and cloudy, which I like, but I guess I prefer a brighter Virginia. I like the presentation, and I like the way it breaks up, because it makes me work for it a bit, which I enjoy. Not crumbly, but not a pain like Dark Star is. Does benefit from some drying.I like the fullness, too. What I don't like is how dank and musty it is on my tongue. The Perique could even be a little more pronounced for my tastes. It's not a bad tobacco by any stretch, but I like my Latakia and my sweet, bright Virginias, I guess. This is a good all-day smoke. On those days when you start drinking whisky at sunrise.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)

This is a very good VaPer, well balanced and pleasant in all ways for my individual tastes. The perique is carefully handled to add the desired zest without being overwhelmed. McClelland has proven itself quite adept at this balancing trick and lives up to it's reputation here. As with all of their virginia flakes a little air time is beneficial and I belive this is worth laying down a few tins. I've already finished my first and will soon open the second.

As a side note, for those who are interested, in my opinion they have indeed resurrected their original taste profile for Black Parrot. I began smoking BP just before it switched production houses to KK in Germany which by the way I liked just as well as it's predecessor's production. Then it was removed from the U.S. market and a year later the new McClelland version was launched and though different from K.K. it still became a part of my regular rotation.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)

A well-balanced, very mellow VaPer with McClellnd's typical sugary/tangy virginias, and the perique is not overly peppery or aggressive. Consistent and mellow throughout the smoke with no bite. Lights and burns well. Almost left me wanting more perique. A very good introdution to VaPers to the newcomer looking to move away from aromatics, and/or finding that latakia is not their thing.

jhenley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhenley (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Gee whiz. I guess this blend is really new. I'm the first person to review it. This blend to me stands out from most other McClelland's that I am used to smoking. It has the McClelland Virginia Tangy scent that I love though. Smelling the tin of this one is almost as enjoyable as smoking the tobacco. The tobacco in the tin is in unrubbed flake form. I think that this tobacco is a little moist right out of the tin, and as a result doesn't stay lit as well as I would like. I guess I should let it dry a little. However, the taste is great and offers something a little different from most other McClelland Virginias that I smoke. Maybe it's the Carolina in it or the amount of perique. I dunno, judge for yourself. I know though that this VaPer will age very nicely. Definitely worth getting again. McClelland sure does have their blending all figured out!