A balanced blend with Virginia, Carolina and pure Louisiana Perique, this unique square-cut pipe tobacco encompasses flavor, maturity, and mellow smoking. The several growths interact and the skill of the blender is exercised in arriving at a balance to tempt the palate. Rediscover this classic. You will be richly rewarded.

Notes: "Ashton Revival" introduced at Chicagoland Pipe Show in May, 2010

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia

I smoked a fair bit of this in the mid-90's when Robert McConnell blended it. It was a classic, second only to the same blenders Old London Pebblecut. I smoked my last tin of the original a few years back, as well as the first iteration of McClellands and also the K&K version. Each subsequent change was not for the better. And now we have Version 4.0.

Still a nice mottled square cut (kinda...a bit of a mishmash but the squares are there, too!) with an excellent tin note of perique fruitiness and hay. Now I like blends with a lot of perique, but this one either went a bit overboard on that condiment or the virginias just aren't mature enough to offset the plummy nature of the perique. Nice depth, but a bit too heavy of a lean toward the spicy. And I hate to fall into the trap of snobbiness, with the old "it was better by its original blender", but I believe it with this one, as this version lacks the balance and complexity of the original. This is a good blend, but the original achieved a level scarcely found by me - an absolute classic. Even so, this one is worth a go if you like a heavy hand on the perique. Quite frankly, I'd like to think I gave this a fair shake, but I'm just not sure. I've found better VaPers out there, but this one might just be The One for someone else.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I was sent the Ashton Revival tins to sample and review and this is the first one I popped the top on. This Virginia/Perique square cut blend really packs some strength and loads of flavor. Not quite as gentle on the palate as I would prefer, but I imagine some age will really make this one shine. Easy to light and keep lit with typical coolness displayed by quality leaf. If you try and decide you like this one now, make sure you cellar a few tins for aging.

Cloud Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cloud (11)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I wanted to branch out and smoke something different than aros, viriginas and mature virginias. Last time I was at the tobacconist I was looking at a virginia and perique blend. Luckily I have a free sample of this black parrot to try first to see about how I like perique. I find black parrot to be expertly blended. I'm really impressed with this blend, I find it offers a nice change of pace to the routine of mature virginia blends.

Edit - i chose to wait a month to smoke this blend. It was a bit overpowering in the smell when I first received it, but it was sent in bulk not a tin. The time passed has really mellowed it's aroma and it has become more pleasant. I used to think of Black Parrot as "Dead Parrot" or "Polly Gone" due to its original scent

Pipe Used: dunhill bruyere 3105

Age When Smoked: 3 or 4 weeks old

Purchased From:

Similar Blends: ashton.

Gloucesterman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gloucesterman (5)

Black Parrot – Then and Now - It was my good fortune to have purchased a half dozen tins of Ashton’s offering when they reintroduced it a number of years back and I recently broke out one of them. Personally I like this Vaper and noticing that I was now down to my last unopened tin I decided to order more. Most of us using this resource do so because we can see what others think about a particular tobacco and since Black Parrot is now being offered under a different label I thought I would avail myself of other’s thoughts on the matter. Keeping in mind that “one man’s meat is another’s poison” we all have to consider the preferences of others when reading reviews but that said several of the reviewers were folks who had experience with Ashton’s original offering. Some thought they detected differences in the blend so I decided to do a comparison of my own. Now it stands to reason that a tobacco that has been “cellared” for more than ten years will enjoy the benefit of having mellowed considerably (when I say mellowed I’m suggesting the flavors have matured and blended) A quality in Vapers that is to my palate very desirable. One would expect that a freshly purchased can will differ from its aged cousin. My question was not would they differ but by how much. Below are my findings. (Can markings, new 5/1/2010, old 5/1/03). Suggesting about 8 years difference in the samples but also indicates you will receive tins that are already aged somewhat. Can note & Appearance Upon opening the cans you will immediately notice the aged sample has become a dark brown and the light streaks found in the newer sample are almost nonexistent. The difference in the browns is similar to that of milk (newer) as compared to dark chocolate. The smell however is quite similar. That is you will be greeted with that vinegar smell with hints of sweetness. I found the aroma stronger in the new sample but only slightly so. Both samples are a broken flake and the newer sample was decidedly more moist when opened. Both the older and new tins come with a pop top removable aluminum cover like found on modern microwave soup cans. I attribute the moisture difference to the age difference. Accordingly the older sample rubs out much easier. When put to the match On first light the older sample, as would be expected, lit easily and stayed lit throughout the bowl. The newer sample benefits from about a half hour of drying time as I found it moist as I have suggested. In the first half of the bowl the difference manifests itself right away. The Virginias are much more obvious and sharper than in the aged sample. I found the perique to be somewhat mild in both samples, present but not overwhelming. The main difference seems to be with the Virginias. They benefit decidedly from ageing and when comparing the two, the older sample was for me a much more enjoyable smoke. As Vapers go this blend falls somewhere between Solani’s 633 and Escudo. By mid bowl the flavors of the newer sample blend and it better resembles its aged cousin. You will however find that both have much the same flavor, the aged sample simply makes them less distinct. They remain present in the older sample but seemed to have become better balanced. Both finish with a gray/white ash and very little dottle. The younger sample left me with that distinct peppery sensation on the back of the tongue. This is a tobacco that will give you a far better smoke if you buy some and put it away to age a bit. But that said if you like a Vaper this is what I would class as a moderate one. None of the components are overwhelming and each comes through throughout the smoke. The Perique element is clearly present but in balance with the Virginias and Carolinas. It’s a wonderful Vaper and it will present you with a special gift, when aged it will become a Vaper that is something truly special. I guess you have figured out I didn’t find a big difference that ageing couldn’t explain. Three stars fresh, four after 10 years and I only rate a tobacco as a four if it is truly exceptional. What I didn’t detect was any significant change from the original blend which only goes to confirm that a good tobacco blend like a good wine will improve with age. Even if you can’t age yours this is a blend worth considering. Like most of us, young it’s a little brash and spicy but with time it mellows wonderfully. Put a few tins away and take them out again in 2025. Your only regret will be that you didn’t put away a few more. In younger samples I find this blend to be slightly less peppery than Escudo. My overall evaluation of this blend is that it closely resembles the old Ashton offering of the same name. If you liked that blend you will like this one. The tobacco is of excellent quality and that is essential in a good Vaper. The flavors are full and rich throughout the smoke. Try this one, I think you will like it. For my part I’m just glad an “old favorite” I thought lost has been found again.

Pipe Used: GBD 9438

Age When Smoked: new7& 10 years old

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Strong

I'm sorry, I didn't like it. In fact I liked nothing about it. I threw away the tin after trying it once. It just wasn't for me. I prefer English style tobaccos and chocolate and vanilla aromatics. This one was way outside my preferences, so I threw it away. I don't know if this review is helpful or not, but if it makes any difference, I really like birds and especially parrots, so I was hopeful it would work, but it didn't.

Pipe Used: Dunhill shell billiard

Purchased From:

Similar Blends: Nothing I've ever tried..

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (69)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am going to make this simple--this was a MAJOR disappointment!! I certainly remember this blend from the middle-to-late 80's when it was presented in a broad cut and the strength and quality of the Virginias was sufficient to stand-up in the face of such a heavy dose of Perique. My tin, dated May 1, 2009, has certainly undergone some aging, so I'm relatively certain that aging is not an issue. Perhaps my expectations were set too high, but this blend is sadly very out-of-balance--this represents a mismatch of tobaccos that did NOT exist in the original blend. The "types" of tobaccos used now in its current form may be "similar" to the original, but they are by NO MEANS the same! The original was quite enjoyable; this reissue is not even close! My tastes typically lean toward the heavier VAPER tobacco blends (my favorite being BEACON EXTRA, another McClelland product), so this is not the issue. And I normally enjoy many of the McClelland tobacco blends (especially the Virginias) .... but not this one! My advice--go elsewhere!!

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

Black Parrot is less well done than Pebblecut, which I love. The Per is there, the VA and Carolina too but they just do not seem to marry well together. The result is a somewhat bland flake to which taste is provided by the Per which sometimes is a bit too much. So, basically, a lack of balance between the componants. Maybe it would get better with some aging but I will not risk buying another tin.

scorpio2billion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scorpio2billion (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't know if I just can't get my head around a VaPer blend or what, but this is cloying to me. Dense and cloudy, which I like, but I guess I prefer a brighter Virginia. I like the presentation, and I like the way it breaks up, because it makes me work for it a bit, which I enjoy. Not crumbly, but not a pain like Dark Star is. Does benefit from some drying.I like the fullness, too. What I don't like is how dank and musty it is on my tongue. The Perique could even be a little more pronounced for my tastes. It's not a bad tobacco by any stretch, but I like my Latakia and my sweet, bright Virginias, I guess. This is a good all-day smoke. On those days when you start drinking whisky at sunrise.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)

This is a very good VaPer, well balanced and pleasant in all ways for my individual tastes. The perique is carefully handled to add the desired zest without being overwhelmed. McClelland has proven itself quite adept at this balancing trick and lives up to it's reputation here. As with all of their virginia flakes a little air time is beneficial and I belive this is worth laying down a few tins. I've already finished my first and will soon open the second.

As a side note, for those who are interested, in my opinion they have indeed resurrected their original taste profile for Black Parrot. I began smoking BP just before it switched production houses to KK in Germany which by the way I liked just as well as it's predecessor's production. Then it was removed from the U.S. market and a year later the new McClelland version was launched and though different from K.K. it still became a part of my regular rotation.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)

A well-balanced, very mellow VaPer with McClellnd's typical sugary/tangy virginias, and the perique is not overly peppery or aggressive. Consistent and mellow throughout the smoke with no bite. Lights and burns well. Almost left me wanting more perique. A very good introdution to VaPers to the newcomer looking to move away from aromatics, and/or finding that latakia is not their thing.

jhenley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhenley (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Gee whiz. I guess this blend is really new. I'm the first person to review it. This blend to me stands out from most other McClelland's that I am used to smoking. It has the McClelland Virginia Tangy scent that I love though. Smelling the tin of this one is almost as enjoyable as smoking the tobacco. The tobacco in the tin is in unrubbed flake form. I think that this tobacco is a little moist right out of the tin, and as a result doesn't stay lit as well as I would like. I guess I should let it dry a little. However, the taste is great and offers something a little different from most other McClelland Virginias that I smoke. Maybe it's the Carolina in it or the amount of perique. I dunno, judge for yourself. I know though that this VaPer will age very nicely. Definitely worth getting again. McClelland sure does have their blending all figured out!