Flue-curing captures the natural sweetness of the fine Virginia tobaccos in this flavorful blend. Aging in cakes softens them into elegance. This partially rubbed flake hearkens back to English days of old. It burns with regal restraint to a mottled white ash. It is a friend with strong character and considerable charm.

Notes: "Ashton Revival" introduced at Chicagoland Pipe Show in May, 2010

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.6

Nice looking mottled mahogany-to-bright virginia blend with less of the McClellands fermented virginia scent in the tin as is usual. Thick broken flake. I smoked a tin of the original many years ago but apparently wasn't impressed enough to buy more.

This is a fine smoking virginia blend with the emphasis on "tang" as opposed to sweet. Some mild sweetness, however, but more earthy and zesty. Burns clean and takes the match fairly easily after appropriate drying out. But I preferred this closer to tin moisture than most McC virginias. Mellow smoking and lighter in nicotine, but I guess my earliest impressions were accurate. This is a good blend but I didn't experience anything that would indicate greatness. I have no doubt this will age very well, but it doesn't have enough coming out of the gate to warrant cellar space. Certainly worth a try for VA lovers, though.

Not surprisingly coming from McClelland, one of the best I've smoked, on par with Blackwoods Flake or any of the Christmas Cheer series. The dark/light leaf ratio is somewhere in between those two, and the typical McClelland's scent is considerably less noticeable. I will stash more teen in the near future.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The tastiest virginia I've ever smoked. A wonderful broken flake that needs to be dried and rubbed out to be enjoyed. A delicious sweet taste and cool burn. This is just exquisite. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. Completely captivating. In a class by itself. Loaded with flavor nuances to keep it interesting. There is a slight burley taste to this virginia, but so much better than any burley I've tried. With no bite or bitterness. Exceptional. I originally thought this was a 4 star blend, but have since found the nuances to disappear and the taste becoming monotonous.

tmick990 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmick990 (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

My first impressions were that I was extremely put off by the awful ketchup scent coming out of the tin. So i rubbed it out and immediately stuffed it in my pipe. It was awful, and I could still taste the ketchup whatever that is. So some time went by and I finally wanted to try it again, I did spend money on it after all. So I rubbed it out and let it dry, this was key to such an amazing smoke. The best english blend I have smoked to date!

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

While not as deep in flavor as the original, McClelland's has again done justice to an old classic. This broken flake Virginia is not too sweet, and doesn't give you the tangy eye watering splash of many lighter flue cured pipe blends.

A very long smoking tobacco compared to others in its class, and certainly tasty, although not destined for greatness.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I do recommend this blend with 4 stars. The tin description exactly tells what is in the tin. Packs and burns very well, smokes cool. It has no complex flavors in it. Natural sweetness, true tobacco taste, and adequate nicotine dosage brings the 4 stars for this blend.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am mostly an oriental smoker, but this is a very pleasant change of pace. I am used to the use of Virginia leaf in many McClelland mixtures, but this tobacco is something else entirely. It is very flavorful and sweet and you can tell has a high degree of craftsmanship and refinement, from a company who knows a very nice way to make a blend that is entierely Virginia leaf based. I cannot be more pleased with this blend, and it will make its way into my regular rotation, although I kinda see it as a warmer weather blend, and as it is closing in a winter, I might be waiting a while to smoke it more. 4 stars from a non Virginia fan!

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)

I have just finished my first tin of Brindle Flake and thoroughly enjoyed my experience with it even though I find it somewhat difficult to completely nail the description of it. As the name indicates it is indeed a flake tobacco which was very easy to work with. It is light to medium brown in color and a light aroma. Under the category of Flavoring I selected Extremely Mild, the description gives no indication of flavorings added but to my tongue I seem to detect some extremely faint something which I have not been able to identify. But don't be afraid of that because it is quite pleasant. It burned great straight to the bottom of the bowl and was deceptively flavorful. This is one bear that is friendly.

I cannot with authority compare this to the original version so I will simply say it's worth a try it might just surprise you and I would certainly recommend it to new smokers.

defender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
defender (5)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

McClelland's description is right on all points... with a unique taste and sweetness.