An aromatic pipe tobacco of incredible delicacy. We spice this Matured Virgina with zesty Carolina and cake-age the blend for an added measure of smoothness before spinning into ribbon form and adding jet-black Cavendish for depth and richness.

Notes: "Ashton Revival" introduced at Chicagoland Pipe Show in May, 2010

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

If you like the flavor of this one, it may just be the finest aromatic blend ever to wear the McClellands badge... ok, it's an Ashton original, so maybe that's a bit of a false praise. But it does wear the McC marque.

Light brown ribbon with a typical aromatic nose. I wish I could place the tin aroma and the flavor, but whatever it's supposed to be eludes me. By turns I taste some sort of fruit collage, pecan, honey, butterscotch, caramel, but I can't pin it down. This one shares two traits with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, one good and one not so good (for me)... it smokes very dry and therefore addresses one of the major problems of the American-style aromatic, and I don't care for the flavoring used. It wasn't horrible, but it just didn't sit well with me. But I can still respect the blend for its dry smoking and the fact that the flavor doesn't burn off midway through the bowl like most aromatics seem to do. Not too goopy and needing of pipe cleaners, even when I smoked it in a briar instead of my preferred meerschaums. And that's no mean feat! As an aside, the room note seemed to be typical black cavendish to me, similar to BCA or 1-Q, but a bit lighter.

This is a masterfully crafted aromatic. Again, if you enjoy the taste, you may find this to be one of the finest examples of a "tobacco first" aromatic out there. Nice and dry and flavorful. Wish I liked the flavor.

TheRev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheRev (1)

It's been awhile since I've smoked an aromatic, but I decided to try this one. Let's just say that the name "Oldchurch" caught my attention. The tin describes this tobacco as being of "incredible delicacy," and I would have to agree. Not being much of an aromatic fan, I preferred this blend being "light." Wanting to spare my good pipes, I used my bulldog basket pipe. It smoked cool. This would be a good tobacco for the "last smoke of the day." The room note is pleasant enough to be smoked in a well- ventilated room, without offending a wife.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

It pains me to give a tobacco a one star rating, but all I got was slightly sweet, slightly bitter hot air. This is the typical American Aro -- vanilla-y, marshmallow-y and somewhat chemical tasting. Not much tobacco taste. It did burn well and was easy to keep lit. The room note is pleasant but not stellar. I have decided to discard aromatics that compare unfavourably with Captain Black White (which is middle of the road for me), and I would much rather be smoking White than Old Church. Therefore not recommended. However, as we are all different this might suit beginners, or seasoned smokers looking for a very mild smoke.

Phils Galore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phils Galore (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I can't put my finger on the flavouring in this aromatic; its not fruity, and while it doesn't smell like any church I've worked or worshipped in, I suppose one might call it incense like. The component tobaccos work well together and occasionally shine through. The sweetness of the virginias nicely complement the added flavouring. As is expected, this McClelland aro is of high quality despite it's sweetness. I don't smoke a lot of aromatics, but this one is a nice change of pace. I have an old Brigham bent billiard which doesn't have that great a draw, but for some reason this blend really shines in this particular pipe. This blend is hard to find in Canada so I have another tin on the shelf. Age doesn't seem to hurt it.

Pipe Used: Brigham billiard

Purchased From: Victory Cigar, Oshawa Ontario

Ajax Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ajax (1)
Mild Mild Full Pleasant

A very good aromatic with a full, sweet flavor. Very pleasant aroma right out of the tin. It is pretty moist, however, so it produces a hotter smoke. A very good blend overall.