4noggins.com

One of the most loved in this series, this is a full English Mixture dark with cool, smoky Cyprian Latakia, spiced with fragrant Xanthis from Macedonia. These tobaccos marry under pressure with aged, sweet flue-cured Virginias and smooth jet-black Cavendish to create a very rich, satisfying blend with a tin aroma this is incredibly appealing. Sit back comfortably to ponder the meaning of life with Old Dog as your companion.

Notes: "Ashton Revival" introduced at Chicagoland Pipe Show in May, 2010

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Where to Buy 4noggins.com
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste

3.6
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was hesitant to give this weed a try because I really don't like any Cavendish in an English mixture. The end result is that it does make OD an English on the sweet side, athough by no means is it an aromatic. McClelland makes it all work and I really enjoy it. In some ways I find this similar to Fred Hanna's new McClelland mixture "Legends." Although not as complex, I think those that find Legends great will really enjoy this mixture as well. I find that when I "sip" OD I really get the full range of flavor and sweetness. This is one occasion that the tin description really nails it. This is not an everyday smoke for me, but I will definitely store a few tins. Recommended!

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening a tin of McClelland's Old Dog is always a treat. The aroma never fails to make this smoker smile. Smokey, leathery latakia bolstered by a subtle and promising sweetness, it is strangely familiar and very inviting. It never fails to relax. It does, however, arrive a bit moist in the tin. Reducing the water content to about 13 or 14% by removing the lid of the tin for a day or two and shaking the tobacco occasionally seems to do the trick. At this reduced moisture level it takes beautifully to the match, burns comfortably and will not bite. The first sips are delicious, velvety and rich with soft, deep latakia and pleasing fruitiness. As the pipe progresses (about the middle third) savory orientals emerge spicily as the virginias develop a toastiness balancing and enhancing the initial flavors. Exhale through the nose to experience the smoothly exotic elements of the orientals. From here to the bottom of the bowl flavors weave in and out deliciously. Smoke slowly for the full benefit.

Was wrong to be concerned about the black cavendish in this mixture. It is employed beautifully and never overshadows (nor oversweetens) the other constituents in this well balanced blend, which is an excellent take on a very special variety of English mixtures.

Nicotine? Yes, a bit, but never a threat.

Easily approachable, richly satisfying and very relaxing, Old Dog is a wonderful and trusty companion. Highly recommended (to the novice as well as the afficionado).

This tin is from 2010.

Pipe Used: Several. All reserved for untopped Latakia blends.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This starts very smooth with subtle flavors of Orientals balanced with Latakia, however, it is very low in nicotine and bold flavor. Hence, I find myself puffing harder than normal to get some extra kick , this gets the pipe hot and brings on tongue bite. I feel the Cavendish muttles the flavors as you get past the first 1/3 of the pipe. If you are not a puffer and a lazy sipper you can make this tobacco work for you.

Update 8/31/12 I've been smoking this off and on for about a week now and I'm getting to really find this special. Just don't push it and it will deliver a ,smoky, flavorful taste, with a hint of sweetness. This is very smooth and I find it great for the end of the day when my tongue has had enough. I know , a 180 degrees from my first review , very nice to have around. I think I like this better than Black Mallory (that has the same types of tobaccos), because it is smoother with very little spice. This also seems to have a touch of cocoa, much like some of Fred Hanna's blends, Wilderness, legends , some similarities. I'm giving this 3-7/8 stars !

schram Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schram (2)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

As a new piper, used to cigars, this is an early favorite. I tried a few different English house blends from my B&M, told em I liked the smokiness of the Latakia in their "925", and that I enjoyed the sweetness their "Pimlico", which they called an English, but said is a borderline aromatic. I figure it had a ton Cavendish in it, without any sort of flavoring.

They suggested Old Dog would be a split between the two, and another house blend, "Regimental Standard".

I love Old Dog, at the very least, a fantastic smoke for someone who wants to get started smoking pipe tobacco.

Smells great out of the tin, sweet, smoky, almost fruity, kind of incense like, but when smoked, tastes more to the smoky side. To new inexperience palette very intriguing and fun to smoke. Exactly what I wanted.

Pipe Used: Briar - Brigham 2-Dot

Age When Smoked: Just Opened

Purchased From: 4noggins

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very good mild to medium all-day English blend, slightly sweet, very smooth and cool-burning, with considerable underlying support, and occasional dominance, by McClelland's trademark virginias and some notable oriental content other than the latakia. Ultimately, it is overshadowed for me by the outstanding Three Oaks blends, Mr. Hanna's amazing blends such as Wilderness and Legends, and a few of Mcclelland's other, slightly fuller or more unique English and balkan mixtures. Nonetheless, a flavorful and well-crafted medium English that is tasty, great-smoking and easy to get along with, right out of the tin.

Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

As full an English in strength and taste as there is on the market today, this Old Dog will hunt!

It compares favorably to the revival of Celebrated Sovereign but is not quite as soft due to the Cyrprian rather than the Syrian Latakia. I also think the heavier on the Virginia and lighter on the spice approach is what makes this one stronger. You'll find a whisper of leathery taste with some sweet spicy undertones as you work your way down the bowl.

Yummy stuff!

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

If I appear today to be posting overly high ratings (with one exception) it is because I rarely post negative reviews of those blends I try which are of a type I do not normally enjoy. There is little point in my stating I don't like so-and-so aromatic when I find so few enjoyable for me. Negatives on Latakia-containing English blends or VaPers I would not hesitate posting however.

This blend is a "blend-I-don't-think-I-like-very much". At least that was my first thought when I lit it up at the B&M. I had never tasted such a sweet English.I smoked this "blend-I-don't-think-I-like-very much" the rest of my drive into work and then lingered before going in to finish the bowl. Six hours later for lunch I loaded up another bowl of this "blend-I-don't-think-I-like-very much". I finished it at afternoon break.

On way home I smoked yet another bowl of this "blend-I-don't-think-I-like-very much" and when I got home I loaded a fresh pipe for yet another smoke of this "blend-I-don't-think-I-like-very much".

Four days later my tin was empty. I can almost not wait to get back to the B&M for another 2- 3 tins of this "blend-I-don't-think-I-like-very much".

My favorite McClelland to date.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

A very nice Latakia mixture that delivers a rich and dark taste. This blend lights well, stays lit, and burns cool to the bottom of the bowl. And, like a good Old Dog, it does not bite.

Pipe Used: blasted billiard

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Mattholomeau Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattholomeau (3)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me start by saying that this was the first tobacco I ever bought. I was foolish in the extreme, buying it mostly for the packaging(I'm a dog lover) and because it was compared to Frogmorton. Frogmorton was highly recommended for a beginners tobacco by all the sources I had checked. On opening the tin the Latakia was all I could smell and it was so moist that it was hard to light and made me hate it and reconsider whether I wanted to smoke a pipe. However I had tried cigars and I knew that the more pungent tobaccos were prized by more advanced smokers. Also I like scotch and at first I hated it for its pungency, but forced myself to acquire the taste. I realized I had just picked to heavy of a tobacco for a beginner and bought some lighter Virginia's to work my way up. So now for the review: although I don't love this stuff I do like and respect it for what it is. I prefer my Virginia's, but I would never be without a solid English blend like Old Dog to break up the monotany of simpler, milder blends. The smell of the tin is very similar to american "dip" smokeless tobacco, which I have since found out contains alot of smoked tobacco, like Latakia. The taste however is very smooth and pleasant, and the room note is pleasant as well(my mom likes it and she hates anything that has an acquired taste). As I prefer milder tasting tobaccos my tin has had a while to age because I only smoke it when I want a change of pace. This said it has aged nicely. I don't know if I will buy it again because I want to try other English/Latakia blends, and since I only smoke them to break up the others I don't go through them very fast. If it ends up being the one I like best it will be added into my permanant rotation. Almost forgot, its so smooth I can inhale it. Its not for that though.

Update; 10/19/2013: After having had some time to gain experience with smoking I have realized that I was not properly drying my tobaccos before smoking. I had a 1-2 month period when I didn't smoke my pipe and came back to find that all my tins seemed too dry, but having read that beginners often don't dry there tobacco enough because they think its too much I tried smoking them as they were. What a difference! My pipe finally stays lit now,I get much less tongue bite, and the aging improved my tobaccos a lot. I now find I really like my one English blend (old dog) and don't much care for more Va's anymore so I am ordering more English blends right now. I like this one a lot and may buy another tin to age long-term. I tried mixing equal parts of this with some McC vanilla ice and it was excellent too.

smoke'a'bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke'a'bowl (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I really have enjoyed this the few times I've had it. The tobacco itself is full and enjoyable. On top of that, there is an herbal note, I guess from the Xanthis, that I find compelling. This is a very nice, relaxing smoke that, as the tin says, is perfect for "pondering the meaning of life". I can't recommend it enough.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This did not do much for me. I think the low nic content is my biggest gripe on this. I realize that probably most pipe smokers require less nicotine than I as McClelland blends are very popular and all seem to be too light on the nic for me.

If you are one of the I can't stand ketchup McC haters, you should be happy with this one as it, at least to my nose, contains no such aroma. It actually smells incredible in the tin.

I did enjoy the taste of this, but for this type of profile, I prefer what Rattray's offers. YMMV

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Very Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tastes like Frog Morton, but with a bit more wow factor. Tasty and smokey flavour, it is really very nice... but like every Mc Clelland blend I have tried, very weak in nicotine. If this was Stronger I would buy more. For what it is, it's done very well, not for me though.

If you don't like nicotine, but like english blends, buy it. If you need a bit of oomph to your smoke, give it a miss.

Lovinps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lovinps (1)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Its almost as fully flavored as cuban cigar, but it can be more full bodied. You can't go wrong though, i found aging it and putting a warm wet rolled tissue as a humidor improves tase. It is naturally flavorful which is hard to come by nowadays yet a mild enough smoke to be a relaxer.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)

If you believe in "Love @ First sight", then you must believe in "Love @ First light". The tin aroma is OUT STANDING, it's a smoke for the seasoned English smokers, and a must try for the non-English, imagine this, Im setting on my front porch just 2 days into summer, the day was 90 plus degrees, now it has cooled a bit, very warm, but comfortable. My front porch has a very nice setting,"Shabby shiek rockers and table, ferns all around, and tree frogs singing and fire flys are dancing, hang in there, Im trying to get my review a proper perspective. The smoke is dence and true English, this has such a wonderfull fragrant, exotic and enticing aroma "My wife dident even mind", if room note was for the smoker only, I would go with very pleasent. The tin moisture was perfect, and easy to smoke straight from the can, NOW,...Smoke this in a meerchum or a good brier, DO NOT WAST THIS BLEND IN A CHEAP PIPE, " personly I would dedicate one for this,..By this time your wondering where Im getting too and when will I end,.. OK, this was so rich and zesty, spicy and tasty that I found a bent pipe to be the best, so when sipping slowly, the smoke enters the nose with delight, I rolled sipped and frenched, with some easy inhaling" only a few times", bottom line, this is a clasic 10 star in my book, and as almost always it's a McClelland, please get some soon, I thought tudor castle was great and still is, but to be fair, the two are different, yet they are in my top list of Mclellands, and Old dog made the summit, Happy Jack, a very happy Jack