Containing Syrian Latakia some Turkish and both red and bright Virginia tobaccos, this is definitely a full "English" blend.

Notes: Discontinued Blend.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Strength
Taste
2.2
wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

This is a review of a four year-old tin.

The tin aroma of this short-cut, medium ribbon is dominated by pungent orientals and lightly sweet virginias which are gently backed up by the Syrian content.

The flavor is generally an oriental/virginia dialogue with the syrian leaf staying in the background. The orientals are pungent and the virginias are moderately sweet. The syrian is, of course, delicious.

Though Yaller Dawg is, perhaps, not a "full english" by the yardstick of many, this sophisticated and aromatic blend is, certainly, full of flavor. It seemed to go best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

new tin, aged tin, it makes no diff' smells like hay taste even less even less distinctive. what a waste of latakia.

RebelPipesterII Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipesterII (11)

This is a quick note on this blend since I have not sat down and fully developed my taste for this. However, this is an english blend on the lighter side of things in the order of Dunhill's Standard Mixture Mild; however, even more mild and not quite as nice smoking qualities. I have a fondness for Syrian Latakia because of it's less harsh qualities from it's Cyprian counterpart. It says the contents has Turkish; however, it must be REAL light. If it wasn't for Dunhill's Standard Mixture Mild, this would be a regular in my rotation.

Another note for everyone, someone had handed me a tin of this as something they were not interested in. It was moldy and I wasn't interested in it at all, in fact I threw it away. I called one day a couple years back and talked with Mrs. Tarler (Patty I think), she offered to replace the tin although I hadden't actually purchased it. I'm so glad she convinced me to give it another wirl.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)

I had held off buying a tin of this due to the two star rating and previous reviews. Mistake! I picked up a tin that was about two and a half years old and it was real good! I wonder if full English is acurate as well, I would probably say more of an Oriental. Anyhow, the tin I had was smooth and rich with the smell of the red Virginias upon opening the tin. It smoked great all the way down the bowl and I never had any problems with it at all. I will buy more of this if I can find it, as it appears to age quite well.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Yaller Dawg is a very interesting blend. The spicey Syrian Latakia is noticeable in the tin, and so is the Va.

It is a typical C&D, which means it smokes well and is very reliable. My wife made an unsolicited comment of the favorable type on the room mote. She said she smelled something slightly spicy and a good natural smokiness.

If you can find any of this, grab it. The Dawg is a good companion.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This blend seems to spawn a gamut of reactions. I think instead of English - perhaps "Oriental" would have been a better descriptor for would-be buyers. This blend focuses on the tangy and lemon like flavor of quality VA and Turkish. A creamy nuttiness kicks in towards the middle of the bowl. A hint of cigar dominates the last third of the pipe.

It is a light, sour fruit and tangy mix that is leant sweet backbone by the Syrian.

If you are familiar with Samarra, Early Morning Pipe, or Oriental Express - Yaller Dawg is a similar blend. Though I find with age - the quality VA and Syrian combination actually leads to something a little more unique than any of those blends.

I would recommend this for someone wanting a "light balkan" or distinctly Turkish blend. If you are looking for heavy, smokey latakia blends - then there are plenty out there.

One word of caution - this dawg will bite if coaxed too harshly even after aging. So pet it gently and it may treat you nicely.

Revised: Although this blend is no longer available, aged tins of this blend are worth acquiring!

Appearance and tin Aroma: My tins have about two years of age on them and the aroma upon opening the tin is delicious! The leaf is still mosly Golden colored with the specks of that delicious Syrian Latakia lightly interspersed. You can smell the Syian leaf in the tin aroma.

Packing and Lighting: With some age on my tins, the tobacco needed more coaxing to get it out of the tin. Once out of the tin, it packs easily and, of course, moisture is typically perfect from C&D.

Initial Flavor: Smooth and buttery from the get go. The Va's have smoothed out and sweetened and have melded well with the turkish. The Syrian is there for a delicious support.

Mid-Bowl: Still buttery smooth.

Bottom-of-Bowl: Builds to a nice complexity and strength, This has aged into a delicious blend. Ash is grey, dry, and fine.

Overall: Age has made such a difference in this blend! It is not a latakia bomb, but rather a English that showcases the VA leaf. The leaves have melded together beautifully, with the Syrian adding a delicious smoky, spicy background for the VA and Turkish to dance in. Alas, this blend is no more due to the fire at the storage faclity, so find those remaining tins and store for future enjoyment.

Chessnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chessnut (13)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I tried this blend because the label said it was contained heavy latakia. I opened up the tin and was takeb=n back by the fact it was golden in color and had an aroma (at leat to me) somewhat like Skoal. To make a long story short I tried this belnd on several occasions, in different pipes, the result was always the same. I find this to be an absolutely terrible blend. The only reason I did not return it was because I had lost the recipt.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The above reviewers have said it all. This mongrel needs to be taken to the pound and euthanized.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Another English mixture that leans towards very light virginias, hence the name Yaller Dawg, because the tobacco is one of the lightest I've seen. The latakia element is hardly noticeable. Because of the light virginia proportion, I developed excessive tongue bite, but I always have that problem with light virginias. Like all the C&D blends I've tried, this comes on the dry side. Try this only if you can handle light virginias.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

It seem strange that this is called a full english blend as full is not an adjective I would use in describing this , Light in colour and flavour it does provide an interesting range of flavours . Syrian latakia being such a delicate and subtle performer. An interesting blend none the less and worth a try on these hot summer days when a blend with the black stuff from Cyprus might be to heavy.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

This blend has one of the most unusual cuts I have ever seen. It is so finely chopped (and so pale) that it resembles nothing so much as sawdust. Luckily for us it doesn't taste like sawdust--it tastes like tobacco, neutral with a little Virginia sweetness added to the mix from time to time.