A classical English mixture made with Syrian Latakia, Turkish Djubec, matured jet-black Cavendish, Bright Carolina and Red Virginia. Pressed and matured in Scottish-style cakes before spinning into ribbon form, this is a true connoisseur's tobacco for those who are seeking that elusive, ultimate Latakia mixture.

Notes: "Ashton Revival" introduced at Chicagoland Pipe Show in May, 2010

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.4
Dan341 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan341 (3)

I picked up the pipe again after a 35 year hiatus. So, this review is more for newbies. Being used to aromatics I was a little put off by the tin odor. It had a pungent, earthy almost woodsy smell. However, tin scent seldom transfers to smoke. When I lit up my initial reaction was YEOOOW! I was bowled over by a barrage of spices, predominately cloves. After about 3/4 through I put it down thinking maybe I could use it as a blender. I didn't like it. However, this is very much like a good single malt scotch. The next day it lured me back with the "try me again" siren song. So I loaded up a corn cob and it was the totally opposite experience. Much like the scotch, it slowly evolved as I smoked it. Still spicy but much more tolerable and down right pleasant. This will definitely be in my starting rotation. Since this is my first review I'll give it 3 stars but it could easily evolve to four. I'd recommend it for those aromatic fans who want to try something else.

This is good stuff! Dan341

Pipe Used: briar then corn cob

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: All Fired Up - Barre,Vt.

Similar Blends: not sure.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

An all-time classic worth reviving. The musky sweet flavor of the Syrian and the heady Turkish spicy leaf combine with the Virginia and body filling Black Cavendish to make this terrific blend really shine. If there is a better English on the market today, I don't know what it is. There are so many Latakia blends out there that it's hard to tier them. Celebrated Sovereign would certainly be in the top-tier of any list I put together.

From top to bottom; an absolute delight!

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Can't really say anything bad about this blend. It does start weak then builds in flavor,but not in "N", but it becomes muttled during the second half of the bowl. Not an "in your face Latakia blend" more balanced. From some of the other reviews, I would love to revisit "Three Oaks Syrian" to see if this is similar, I don't think this is as flavorful or as high "N". It does smoke very smooth and without hot spice or bite. This could be an all day smoke. I like, "Old Dog", from the Ashton series better, as I find it more interesting, a touch sweeter and at about the same strength. I rate this at 3 stars, but it could be 4 if you have to have "Syrian".

Updated 1/14/13- I've opened this tin 3 weeks ago and it has had a chance to dry and breath, What a difference. Smooth, tasty, Orientals shine with a slight fruity sourness from the Cavendish. Old Dog or this ,flip a coin, both great but for me it's Old Dog due to it's sweetness.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)

One might say smokey, spicy, and with a gentle sweetness, but such a description would not begin to capture the nuances of this elegant tobacco. To be sipped and savored.

Mr_Houston Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr_Houston (2)

This is the blend that got me started on english blends. Everything else the guys at the pipe shop were smoking were strong english and the latakia smelled to me, as a newbie, like burning tires. The Ashton version of the blend was more delicate and smooth. No one else liked it, so I was given a free sampling tin. There is a reason that the Ashton version was not a top seller - too mild for most. But it was a good first english blend and had that certain Syrian component that sealed the deal for me.

I agree with Don1688, that the reincarnation from McClellands has a strong similarity to Three Oaks Syrian, primarily, because of the similar level of Syrian. I've cellared Three Oaks significantly. The cavendish component is very light, and hardly noticed until the second third of the bowl. The Syrian latakia is certainly the same used by Mr. Pease in his Renaissance.

It is not the old version, but I doubt I'd still like the old version. Three stars, only because I prefer Three Oaks Syrian.

Thank you McClellands for bringing these blends back to us.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (22)

I was hoping this blend would come back and it did! Thank goodness. This smells delightful in the tin. Not heavy on the Latakia but strikes a very good balance. I do wonder though if this is the old recipe before McC started making this for Ashton as I remember Ashtons a bit more fragrant and more perfumy while smoking than this re-issued version. Be that as it may this blend is smokey, with a slight sweetness from the Cavendish and Red Virginia. Smooth and non biting. I would dry this out a bit as it is a tad moist upon opening the tin. Its a little hard to start due to the moisture. I tend to categorize this blend in the "crossover" Englishes along with Old Dog and the Frog Morton series with addition of Cavendish. This also reminds me of Spillman's Mixture in flavor, but fuller and without the bite.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

I very much like this blend. If 3 Oaks Syrian was sold out for a period this one would fit the bill. I'm not saying they are identicle, but the Syrian leaf seems to be at/near the same proportions.

Very spicy flavor, if I needed to descibe in one word, I'd say "spicy". Easy to smoke and no tongue bite. I don't get much sweetness from the blend, but the Virginias are evident in the tin note. The Cavendish is also not really that noticable so don't let that make you believe this is a cased aromatic by any means.

I have since bought more for the cellar and will judge against 3 Oaks Syrian upon next tin opening.

3 and 1/2 stars and very much recommended!