A very light naturally aromatic mixture, custom blended with several kinds of Virginia tobaccos and two burleys. A pinch of Latakia is added to give the smoker the rich taste of Latakia without the pungent Latakia aroma.

Brand1776 Tobacco Co
Blended ByJack Peterson
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The description calls this a "Light English." I don't know that I'd really agree with that. This is more aromatic than English. The Latakia is a minor component that gives it an extra body and smokiness, but it's not as noticeable as it would be in a more traditional English blend. The topping is medium strength, but does not drown out the Virginia and burleys. There is a pleasing light vanilla note, and possibly a little rum has been added, in addition to a light earthiness that comes from the burleys. That leads me to suspect one of the burleys is a dark Kentucky. A time or two along the way, I've noticed an extremely minute tangy/sour note along with the sweetness, but it does not detract from the experience in any way.

Btw, this is not a ribbon cut. It's more of a course cut in small bits. It's easy to load, and burns very well. Since this is only the second written review on this site, I suspect it's not a well known mixture. It ought to be because I find it very flavorful and I highly recommend it if you like an aromatic light "English" (I use that term advisedly).

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)

I received as a free sample.

The most concise way I can put it is that this is what Boswell's Northwoods wishes it was.

The description says "naturally aromatic". Not sure what that means but this does have some kind of topping sort of a whiskeyish rummy, vanilla sort of thing. But it is not over done and does what topping should do....improves and enhances vs covering up cheap tobacco or disguising the rich "real" flavors.

Whatever's in it it's fabulous.

A little moist and benefits by drying and then burns properly without excess moisture.

Big flavor. Much bigger than Northwoods which I'm using as a reference give that it too is a topped "English Blend". But Bostonian is like Northwooods with a amplifier and subwoofer.

I've been smoking a lot of English blends lately with Lancer's slices being my current fave. But I get a itch or Bostonian that only it can scratch sometimes.

It's also excellent to mess around with for blending. I've found a bit more latakia and some perique make an excellent blend even better. Bordering on amazing.

Anyway....a terrific blend which I can't recommend enough to English Blend and some aromatic smokers alike.