A full bodied, slightly sweet mix with a tempting aroma of almonds, topped with a bourbon vanilla flavor. Smooth black cavendish, dark Virginias, some broad leaf with a touch of Oriental.

BrandSavinelli
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Almond, Bourbon, Coffee, Sherry, Vanilla, Whisky
Packaging50 grams pouch, 50 grams tin
Strength
Taste
3.2
Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

Savinelli Aroma. The actual blend gives off a fairly strong scent, being a good mixture of all the added aromatics with the sherry taking the lead role. The appearance is very pleasing, with an equal amount of light and dark pieces all about the same size and a superb moisture amount as well. The moisture amount makes for very easy igniting and a good/steady burn. The flavour of the smoke is fairly impressive, you get all the aromatics but unlike the unlit aroma the sherry does not take the lead as you get an equal amount of all of them without it having too much falseness to it. The nicotine level is a very good one as it is satisfying but not too strong. Room note is a very pleasing one as it has an almost candy like quality to it. This would make a superb after dinner tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Simon.c Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simon.c (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'm writing this after my first bowl and I must say as far as aromatics go this stuff is very good.

It's neither overly moist or gloopy nor overly sweet, the tobacco is just to smoke straight from the tin, it almost feels a little dry.

Tin note is wonderful with lots of powdered almonds, vanilla, creamy toffee and just a nice sweetness.

In the pipe the taste is a lot like the tin note but is not overpowering, the smoke is a little dry though and it's has a little bite to it but nothing major, slow smoking removes it completely.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (17)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Based on the reviews here I bought a tin of Aroma online. I'd been having problems with another sweet aromatic, MacBaren Vanilla Flake (see my review).

After about a dozen bowls, so far, so good. For me this is a user-friendly, sweet aromatic, which is to say it doesn't bite. As another reviewer observes, it is great after a meal, or indeed any time of day. Although the flavouring is strong (gorgeous tin aroma!) I get the tobacco taste as well. Seems on the dry side on opening up the tin but it smokes well. I like it. If you favour sweet aros I'd say it's well worth a try.

Old at heart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old at heart (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

why the hell is this not more well known than it actually deserves ? Its like a loyal wee dug , you cant fault it. It behaves and responds to commands very very easily. The sweet taste is in no way overpowering but yet somehow an enigma at times; coffee - yes , toffee- yes, nougat ??? - perhaps, golden syrup - possible. it is a tidy bit of tobacco , easy to pack and easy to keep lit, easy to smoke ... it nips you a little when you dont behave or confuse it. It was dry upon arrival but i expect this is common - its far traveled after all.

My long exile from my home city is nearly over , and i feel when i smoke this again il remember the cold northern skies perhaps more fondly than i should - because of aroma.

A faithful old chum.

Pipe Used: a little pear wood number that fits it too a T

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Vanilla present , almond present , coffee also, liquor almost, whiskey sometimes, sherry yes! Turkish yeah, virginia a lot, black cavendish a little. Very pleasant smoke, not to much and not to little aro. Almost perfect for occasions, whatever they are, but not for every day use.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1 y

Purchased From: England

lordnoble Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lordnoble (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

OK, for you aromatic-haters out there, don't even bother with this blend...

This said, if you like an aromatics, give this a try. I bought a tin of this on a whim when I was at my tobacconists recently. The description interested me, so I figured, why not? I would like to point out that I'm still new to pipe smoking, so it should be understood that I like aromatic blends, quite a bit.

When I got home and cracked open the tin, I was smacked with a sweet smelling tobacco. I immediately thought of carmel-covered almonds. I then could pick out the Cavendish and Jim Beam. I couldn't smell any Oriental in there, but I figured I'd taste it once I lit it up.

I prepared to air it out but when I dug into the black and gold, I found it wasn't moist at all, which surprised me. I usually have to let my aromatics air a few minutes before I can pack them and light. But this time, I packed my Wellington half-full (still breaking it in, but that's like smoking a full bowl on most of my other pipes anyway), and lit up.

It lit well right out of the tin, and after the charring light it stayed lit for a considerable while. It went out a few times, but I chalked that up to me using that beast of a pipe. I'm still learning its ways. It smoked cool and had an incredible room note. I enjoyed it to the bottom (OK it was mostly done, but it started to rain, and I decided to go in).

The taste was sweet which I figured must be the Virginia's doing their job, but also the casing and top-flavor. I savored each puff before letting it drift from my mouth. There was no tongue-bite. That made me happy. The room note smelled kinda like candied apples, but without too much of the apples... It got my wife's approval in a major way. She moved her chair to get the aroma better.

The next time I smoked it was very similar in most cases, but I found that my corncob pipe burned a bit hotter (it's no Wellington), and the smoke seemed to be smoother. It again packed well, but I didn't relight at all. It burned to the bottom leaving a fine, white ash. Still no tongue-bite, which surprised me as Virginias tend to nip me when I smoke them in my cob.

In conclusion, I am really pleased with this blend. I find it is increasingly my first bowl of the day, and goes great with my morning cup of coffee. It's made its way into my regular rotation, but it hasn't replaced my Black Cavendish as an every-day smoke.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)

Fall is here and it is now the time to start bringing back the smelly stuff. On opening this tin it always smell like my Oma's drink for the nerves. This is a very sweet tobacco. Heavy almond extract with a little bit of Amaretto tossed in. Packs well. Lights well. Smokes very sweet. God it is like candy. I like it but it will never be a daily smoke. This tin is about 6 years old.

Pipe Used: Comoy

Age When Smoked: tin - 5 years

Purchased From: Mannheim Germany

Rolf -The Dane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rolf -The Dane (6)
Mild Very Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

FANTASTIC tin smell of Almonds!! When smoked you will find flavors of Almonds, dark Rum and genuine Vanilla. The Tobacco is mild and VERY creamy. When smoked fast (hot) there is only a little tonque bite. Non-smokers and even smoke-haters simply love the smell of this tobacco!!!! -This has been one of my favorite Pipe Tobaccos for many many years and it certanly will be one of my Favorites untill the day i die!! (And possibly of lung cancer, but that is a 'small' price to pay for smoking this one:-)))

Pipe Used: All kind of pipes

Age When Smoked: 20 years old tins to new tins

Purchased From: Denmark and Germany

Similar Blends: Many years ago it was called Light Aroma.

Pipe1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe1000 (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Savinelli's "Aroma" tobacco smells very strong & sweet from the tin and would make a great dessert smoke (excellent in company of non-smokers!). The smooth vanilla flavour of the tin didn't disappoint when smoked either! My only criticism is that it seemed to day my mouth out considerably, and whatever I had to drink wouldn't help (very strange?!) The tobacco was ever so slightly damp for my liking straight from the tin, but a few minutes of gentle air drying seemed to help no end. I would recommend this tobacco and had I have not been left with a very dry mouth this would be a firm favourite for an after dinner smoke.