Red and Golden Virginias provide a pleasant base for this medium-strength English. Latakia and Turkish Orientals offer their own addition to the blend giving it a pungent smoky and earthy flavors and hints of pepper. An excellent all round medium English, Red Stag is a nicely balanced and very well rounded blend.

Notes: Reminiscent of old original Rattray's Red Rapparee.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Strength
Taste
2.1

Interesting choppy cut, sort of typical of a lot of C&D blends. Nice latakia tin aroma with an undercurrent of spice. I'm not sure which version of Red Rapparee is the "original" but I've smoked it for about 30 years and this is not much like the RRR I'm used to. It looks different, smells different and tastes different. So perhaps the blender is talking about an earlier version. Not that it matters. This isn't the classic that RRR is but it's still a pretty decent, if somewhat confounding blend.

Where RRR is oriental forward, this one starts out with the taste of latakia. It isn't overly strong in this character, but latakia is what I noticed first and foremost. This does change a bit somewhere around the halfway mark of the bowl, where the oriental becomes more apparent. The virginia and other condiments are well to the rear. The taste is smoky and kind of minty, the way some blends merge latakia and various orientals to form a sort of menthol flavor and mouthfeel. The confounding thing about this blend is that I'll get about a dozen or so puffs of this most incredible sweetness and then it'll disappear. Later some nice spicy puffs will come forward and disappear just as quickly. I'd take a full bowlful of either one, but I'm lucky to get a quarter bowl of both, sum total. The rest of the time the blend provides a smoky flavor that is nice but hardly revelatory. Perhaps a little more cavendish or oriental and a tad less latakia? Hard to say... I'm an amateur blender with a strong emphasis on amateur, but it might be fun to play with this one a bit to see if I can make it hum like it does when those fantastic sweet or spicy notes come out. Wish they'd stay longer. Still, this is a worthy blend and a good one to try if you like a nice medium latakia-style blend.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum... always

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Flying Tea Pot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flying Tea Pot (3)

It IS reminiscent of the old Rattray blend. Red Virginia, toasted cavendish, latakia and/or oriental. Similar components to the originals and the cut is the same as well, if my memory serves me right. A little sweet, good medium body mouth feel, with a light oriental fragrance and light smokiness. And, it smokes softly and without heat. I compared the tin aroma to a recent Rattray's blend and the most obvious thing was that Red Stag was natural like the original blends were. That is, there was no aromatic casing which was obvious in the EU made Rattrays.

This is from an 8 ounce tin of 13 months age. I also smoked a fresh 2 ounce tin, and the results were the same. Excellent.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My tin was 2 years old. So, the short answer to lustra's question posed above is: not much better.

I found the Virginia leaf to be harsh, the Latakia lacked something and the Orientals added only sweetness, not flavor. In fact, like lustra's impressions, this stuff turned bitey and sour near the lower third of the bowl. It was quite hot for a blend with Latakia leaf too. Next time deer season rolls around, I say lets put Red Stag out of its misery.

Red Stag is a short cut tobacco that arrived with the right moisture level for me (a little dry) and had a nice fig/plum tin note. It's a little bit sweet and a little bit sour, but in a good way. My first tin has some age on it and that added to the sweetness. However, for me, this is one of those blends that my enjoyment decreased with each bowl until my last tin was left unfinished. Red Stag just wasn't as complex and interesting as similar blends in its class although I am a bit of a "puffer" so slow smokers may have a better experience. Also, having smoked the original Red Rapparee, I don't find the blends similar at all. Somewhat recommended, and cool tin art.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I echo the review of BriarChef. This is very nice tobacco, just short of the top rating.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

In the same genre, but not a copy or "me too" attempt at duplicating Dunhill Durbar or Rattray's Red Rapparee. This has that signature Tarler Twist. Perfect moisture for tin to tinder treatment. Short cut, as C. Rattray endorsed in his treatise. To me, a hint of Red Virginia Cavendish, but in no way sweet in the "cavendish" tobacco of Danish origin.

Relaxed, friendly and reliable. Like a good buddy, great with a cold beer...make that a properly chilled ale...not too cold.

I thoroughly enjoy the subdued role the Latakia plays in this mixture. Masterful treatment of top shelf raw materials, allowing the Virginias and Orientals to perform their dance without any interference from the choreographer.

Nice!!

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)

The reviews so far have been mostly unflattering, I suspect they may be out of date. I tried this a few years ago and do not remember much about it. The can I am currently smoking is dated 7-30-07. The color is reds and browns with bits of black. It is mostly a thinner ribbon cut with some broken pieces of flake. It is dry, as with most C&D blends, but about the dryness I prefer for smoking. It takes a little to get it going but once the tobacco is toasted it burns well. It requires slow methodical puffing, to keep from heating up and nipping. When smoked slowly it exhibits a nice moderate sweetness complimented by toasty notes. The oriental lends a nice faint acridity they goes well with the toasty sweetness. The moderate quantity of latakia marries well with the other flavors. The aroma is of toasted virginia with a wafting of latakia/orientals. I find it an excellent blend. Like the best Americans it is relatively straight-forward with enough depth and sublety to be interesting.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Revised 01-02-06 I recently opened my last tin that was in my "cellar" and have come to the conclusion that this blend is NOT FOR ME! I just do not like it. It has a similar leaf as found in Pease's Cairo, blegh! Maybe some you will enjoy it, have at it...

Original review: First, let me state that I am of fan of C&D and have praise for many of their blends, but this one did not work for me. The tin I tested was aged for 8 mo's before opening. Upon opening, you are greeted by mostly medium brown leaf with an occassional speck of green, black, and gold in the usual medium, broad ribbon cut. The tin aroma is, I'm afraid, very off-putting (to me, anyway). I work by the beach quite often and every now and then I work by secluded coves where in the fall and winter you get a nasty whiff of sea-swamp (nasty, indeed!). This is the tin aroma that this blend reminded me of. Well, I loaded my pipe anyway and as usual, packing, moisture, and lighting were a breeze. Initial flavor is very minerally with the turkish in the forefront. Mid-bowl you begin to taste the latakia and virginia, but only as support. I generally like turkish leaf, but the leaf in this blend tasted too bitter for my taste. Last third of the bowl is the worst. This mineral flavor turns sour and I had a difficult time finishing the bowl. I tried this blend in several pipes with similar results. I can not put this blend in the "English" category, but rather seems to be a very poor "Balkan". I can not recommend this blend at this time "Here I stand I can do no other" Rating 1 out of 5 points. Sorry...

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)

I bought this tobacco because I liked the art and Mike had it on sale. I like to try different C&D blends and have had a splendid time doing it. Well, I have to say the first 1/3 of the bowl in each case smelled and tasted okay, then something went sour. It got really unpleasant and it was hot and didn't taste good at all. I am pretty hard headed so I tried it in two or three other pipes and the case could not be made to save it.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Digby, meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Mars Pipes and Cigars

Similar Blends: Nothing that I have tried..

it is a decent medium bodied english blend. for the most part its mellow and nothing very special but occasionally you get very sweet puffs which i enjoy. also you get the occasional spicy puff which is even better. i only wish this blend would be more consistent in its flavors. for the most part it is rather bland

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

This was the first C&D blend I smoked and it was very nearly the last (which would have been a misfortune). The thing that put me off the most was the smell when I opened the tin. I have smoked virtually every type of tobacco blend and a sampling of most brands. This was not the smell of tobacco, nor of anything organic (save maybe one of those organic carbon based human corpses of the month old variety). It smelled of heavy acidic chemicals with a hint of blue urinal bar. I nearly tossed the cookies. Upon lighting, the smell abated, but did not entirely leave, rather it mixed with a rather insipid excuse for a dry flat English representation. While I keep Pirate Kake, Yale Mixture and Three Friars on hand, I will never touch this again, save perhaps to give to a pipe smoking enemy.

Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

This tobacco has been a sore surprise, 'cause I've always found great tobaccos within C&D production. The disappointment began while opening the tin: it was too dry and turning to dust. A week in the jar did something to make it smokable. When I smoked it it immediately tasted bitter, dull and unpleasant; many smokes later I haven't changed my opinion, it's a useless tobacco. The only good points it score are that it burns very easily and cool, so it can be succesfully used to run in a new pipe or to teach novices how to smoke.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Allow me to dissent from the esteemed Stag reviewers above. First an observation on my encounter with this creature. My stag came in very poor conditions from its Vegas-smoke residence: it was virtually dehydrated. I know Cornell & Diehl tend to the dry side of moisture in their offerings, but this was ridiculous! Crisp dry, brittle, it was on the verge of turning into dust when I opened the plastic bag inside a tin dated, on the bottom, Oct. 1999 (mind you, neither the lid nor the plastic bag had been previously opened, so I cannot explain the excessive dryness of the product). Anyway, a couple of weeks on therapy with distilled water turned it into something smokable; still, I waited another week before taking the stag for a ride.

Certainly I would not define this as an outstanding or extraordinary blend. It definitely is not a Balkan type of mixture, but all in all the stag is not a bad English style smoke. As it happened with the three other Cornell & Diehl blends I have tried (Briar Fox, Yale Mixture and Haunted Bookshop), it took me some time before I realized how palatable and richly sober this mild to medium mixture actually is. Red Stag is prepared after the traditional C&D fashion: pure quality leaf, virtually untampered with, that IMO accounts for an initially unsettling raw, harsh and grassy under taste, but eventually yields an excellent smoking experience.

If anything this is an educated Stag, for it is a close relative of C&D?s Yale Mixture. The great difference is that being mellower, on account of the unsweetened Virginia Cavendished base, the Stag also carries abundant Turkish leaf. This ingredient makes it livelier, crisper and, IMO, a bit more perky or ?wild? if you so wish, than its Yale relative. The Latakia (Cyprian, probably) dominates the first half of the bowl, with the toasted Black Cavendish providing a discreet background. But don?t be fooled. The fact that there is a Cavendished ingredient does not put the Stag anywhere near Dunhill?s 965, Lane?s Crown Achievement or McConnell?s Original Scottish blend. In this case, the Latakia and the toasted Cavendished Virginia have a similar bitter earthiness, somewhere in between mineral and mutedly sweet, so the contrast between them is not that sharp.

By the second half of the bowl, when the Turkish comes alive, this esteemed breed turns from a down to earth, almost passive attitude, to a vivacious and energetic creature. The spicy and tangy sour-sweet leaf cuts through the thick density of its heavier partners, and the whole mixture becomes more vigorous, lighter and tastier. It has a great finish that doesn?t tire the palate nor induces tongue bite.

While Red Stag would not be my first choice for an English style blend, IMO it sure beats Dunhill?s Standard Mixture Mild (Ah, sacrilege!), Gawith?s Skiff, or even Rattray?s Highland Targe. So if you are in the mood for a light but hearty English style smoke, give the Stag a try?probably best outdoors, when taking a stroll without wanting to think things over too much.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This blend is finely chopped, and very easy to load. It is sharp on the first light, but as the bowl progresses it settles down to a just slightly sweet, sometimes neutral taste. Sometimes even a little sour. It can bite if you're not careful. The room note, for a smoker, is wonderful. For a smoker's wife, the scent is apalling. I am curious what this blend would be like with six month's age.