Red and bright aged Virginias provide an excellent, gently sweet, base for this medium to full English blend. Turkish Oriental leaf and Latakia add layers of earthy smokiness and a mild pepperiness to the overall composition.

Notes: Reminiscent of old Dunhill Dunbar.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Strength
Taste

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)

Rajah's Court is a nice Oriental forward light Balkan. Perfect smoking moisture right out of the tin, and smells awesome. It lights with a drynote, with citrusy spicy Oriental and then the Latakia starts amping up providing a fuller body behind the Oriental, but always staying a supporting player along with the Virginias. This is nice all dayer for me, along with Red Rapparee, both of which give me that Oriental kick I need.

Pipe Used: Digby Rhodesian, Ashton billiard

Similar Blends: Dunhill Durbar, Rattray Red Rapparee.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)

Just opened a tin dated '09 this morning & have tried it in 3 pipes already: a narrow, conical-bowled gr 4 full-bent meer, an old H&B Irwin Cobb half-bent, and a "disputatious" MM straight-up cherrywood. All smoked great, started out with a real Oriental spicy hit, switched to Va sweet pretty quickly w/ spicy overtones in & out, Lat came through about 1/4 bowl & drifted in-out-in all the way. The great thing about all these is that the BALANCE was about as perfect as can be. I'd call it on the light side of medium, but an all-around superb all-day one.

Pipe Used: As above

Age When Smoked: 5 yrs

Purchased From: JR

Similar Blends: Reminds me a little of EMP, don't remember Durbar very well, sort of like Orient 996 w/ less Latakia & no ketchup.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is a hard one to classify, one only needs to read the first 20 reviews and we have a wide variety of blends we think this is similar to :" Dunhill Durbar, Dunhill EMP, G.L. Pease Caravan, Dunhill's London Mixture, Karl Erik , S.Gawith's "Squadron Leader. I'm not even going to attempt a guess, oh what the hell, I'll say Rattrays Red Rapparee mixed 50/50 with Dunhill EMP.

I would classify this as a Balkan and it is well done. A little spice, a touch of Latakia, heftier Oriental/ Turkish, some sweetness. What it doesn't have is C&D's attraction for adding Burley to every blend, they must have a pile big enough to cover a house.

So what's not to like? Well, the wife says the "smell", offensive !!!! This will be a regular for me when she's around !!!

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year vintage , open 2 weeks

Similar Blends: see review.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

A more than respectable medium English blend—perhaps slightly less than medium in strength. Everything is properly proportioned and the component tobaccos meld together exceptionally well to yield a creamy, smooth and refined smoke.

It’s necessary to smoke this with care because it displays a propensity to get a little warm. And if it gets too warm the heat destroys the Oriental element. You really must focus your attention on HOW you’re smoking this blend—it requires some concentration. A very easy blend to get lit and keep lit through to the bottom of the bowl. This is one of those blends that ends in a surprise when it goes out and there’s no more to smoke.

An enjoyable and worthwhile smoking experience.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik Ekstravagant

The first half of the bowl reminded me of Dunhill's London Mixture. Very nice Orientals out front and center. Nice and spicy. The second half saw the Orientals fade a bit as the Latakia stepped forward and provided a nice deep creaminess to the mix. If it would have stayed this way I would have given this four stars, but the Orientals continued to fade until they became nearly invisible. What was left was just a creamy smoke with a very slight sweetness from the Virginias. Nice but I would have liked a little Oriental flavor in the finish. All in all though, a very nice blend that I enjoy smoking.

Pipe Used: Jobey Lovat, MM General

Similar Blends: Dunhill's London Mixture, but only for the first half of the bowl..

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a really good blend from C&D. To start with it reminds me a lot of a less latakia loaded version of G.L. Pease Caravan.

Really nice medium-small ribbon cut that packs easy and smokes well with minimal relights. Not a tobacco to rush in the smoking but it is not a punisher, I'm sure many will mistake the tongue tingle from the spice for bite. No bite here- just pure robust flavor that. And smoke that gets tastier with every puff until you end up with an empty pipe.

It starts off a little in your face in an oriental spicy way but it smooths out real nice by mid bowl. It has everything I want in a pipe tobacco. The latakia presents itself more in the last third of the bowl and it burns to a nice ash with no moisture.

Really a good smoke for folks who like a little spice in things. It builds to a really nice smooth finish. It is rare I let anyhing else go in my Caravan smoking pipe but this is welcome anytime. I think this makes it taste even better.

And the nicotine- oh it's the good kind that makes you just feel like you are melting into relaxation. Not too much but enough to make you respect and appreciate it.

It seems to be the type of tobacco that a year or two of age would make it just out of sight. So glad I tried this one.

Room note- well it's surely not an aromatic, I like the smell but don't expect others to.

I like it a lot. Surely not what I would call an "english", not sweet at all. Just spicy and so good. Reminds me more of a balkan. Not much else like this out there. Highly reccomended.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Its a very nice daily english blend. Reminds me of an Early morning Dunhill. Its one of those blend that is not the greatest but everytime you go to your tobacco stash you keep loading this baby in the pipe.One might think when smoking this that it will have a tonque bite but I think it might be the Turkish/oriental sensation that we all love. Definitely recommending this as a morning smoke.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A little bit sharp on the tongue. I could not detect any of the sweetness mentioned in the description of this blend. It still satisfies without being very heavy in the latakia department.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

redraider2X1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
redraider2X1 (3)
Mild Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I guess I am partial towards English/Balkan blends that have more flavor. IMHO, this one lacks sweetness, spice, nuttiness and the amount of Latakia, which I've come in enjoy in other English/Balkan blends.

neoclassical Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neoclassical (9)

Another winner from C&D. Again I enjoyed the earthy and peppery notes, and detected more frankincense and myrrh notes than Yale Mixture. At times the taste reminded me of the stuff I would smoke out of a metal pipe as a teenager -nudge, nudge, know what I mean? - but in a good way. It gave me a nicotine hit as well. It was smooth and fragrant, but not strongly so.

7/11 Coming back to this after a while I must admit that this is my most favorite tobacco, and style of tobacco -an English/Balkan with VA's, Latakia, and orientals. It's all there, sweet, spice, smokey, smooth... I just procured 2 tins and will ask for a third for my b-day, and a 4th for the holidays. I noticed with my first sample that the Rajah mellows with about 6 months aging and loses some umph in flavor. I'll watch for this with my new tins. If this is a clone of Dunhill's Durbar, I guess I missed something very special by never having tried DD.

Nachman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nachman (13)

Reading the component tobaccos: Virginia, Latakia and Turkish; you would think this is your average English blend, like so many others. This is however a quite unusual tobacco. When you light it the first thing you notice is a spicy incencey taste and smell. The Turkish is dominant from the beginning. The Latakia does not come out at all, though if you examine the tobacco you can see a little in it. I suppose it smoothes out the blend. The Virginia adds a little sweetness in the last half of the bowel. The flavour is unique and exotic. You have to try it to see what I mean.

ChronoB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChronoB (3)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Let me give it to you straight on Rajah's Court. Unless you're one of those VA/Per guys it's all here, baby, in this order:

The bittersweet, floral Orientals out front; The leathery, woodsy Latakia right behind; And the Virginias holding it all together and adding body.

I've tried it in several pipes and it is consistently good in all of them. It packs easy, burns well, and the taste remains balanced throughout the bowl. Looks great in the tin, a beautiful mixture of light and dark ribbons.

As to Nicotine, I'm a lightweight so it has plenty for me. Some of you may find yourself wanting more.

Room note - I love it, but I'm certain my wife wouldn't. Take that as you will.

I will always have a tin of this open. It is complex and full of flavor but well balanced, unless you don't like orientals, latakia, and virginias. But if that's the case steer clear of English/Balkan blends. If you're a latakia freak I guess it might not have enough for you. Personally, I consider this a must have English blend.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (42)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Simply put, this is exactly the way an English blend should taste and smoke. Each of the tobaccos are obvious yet harmonize to perfection.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (42)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I primarily smoke English blends and have sampled or smoked just about all of them during the past 50 years. RAJAH'S COURT has become my favorite and it exemplifies, in my opinion, exactly what an English blend should be. Perfect as an all day or for those that want a milder and lighter smoke all day, this would be the Perfect Nightcap. 4 stars all the way!

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)

I expected a medium blend laden with a Turkish peppery taste mingled with a preponderance of sweet Va's. What a pleasant surprise. This is a well-balanced, 'almost' full blend that burns cool and has a marvelous taste. While its signature is certainly Oriental, the Latakia component adds a dimension that gives this tobacco some body. The Virginias provide a constant but restratined sweetness that really brings the blend together. Kudos to the Tarlers!

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

There are already enough reviews of this blend that would say to me why wright my own. Well, I think there is more to say about Rajah's Court. I begin by saying that C+D has so many blends that based on my sampling I tend to stay away from C+D offerings. I think that the brand offers too much redundencies for me to even try and sort out the ones I might like, but I felt like trying something new (to me) so there it was on the shelf in front of me when I was buying several tins of Balkan Sasieni at a R+J Cigar store near my office. C+D along with Gregg Pease, the two are working together in a sort of partnership, use a marketing plan that is based upon bringing out new blends to generate interest and sales. I suppose the strategy works, but in time there are just too many blends without enough distinction between them for the avarage pipe smoker to have a clear idea of what to purchase. But, with that said, let's move on to Rahah.

When I arrived at home I opened the tin of Rajah and was pleasently surprised by the beautiful brown and black ribbon cut of the loosely packed tobacco. It was visually appealing to me. The aroma was of a spicy medium strength English-oriental blend. C+D calls it a medium strength Balkan and I will agree with their description. Let me just add that the tin fragrence was of a balanced blend, but the orientals were particularly inviting to me. Packing was easy, the moisture level of the tobacco was just about perfect, so lighting was easy as well. Immediatly I smelled the orientals. Wonderful I said to myself. As I puffed on my Castello the flavor was very nice and that of a fine Balkan blend (or English-oriental if you prefer). All the way to the end of the smoke, to the bottom of the bowl, I enjoyed this blend. It is deserving of your attention if you enjoy Balkans. I'm not going to say it changes my preferred blends (which happen to come from Gregg Pease and just a few others), but I would not hesitate to smoke Rajah again in the future. So, to use the four star rating system it is only fair to give Rajah four stars which says try it you just might enjoy this one. I hope this review is helpful.

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very natural oriental mixture. Little latakia, excellent cut, excellent burning qualities.No sweetness added just natural tobacco. I think can be addictive. Gives me a little head spinning. For my taste a little flat but quite pleasant. I will stick to heavier and darker mixtures with more latakia but very pleasant though.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Rajah's Court is exquisite. This blend emphasizes the beauties of Turkish leaf, with spicy latakia and rich, naturally sweet Virginias balancing the flavors.

Though not heavy on the latakia, Rajah's Court is still a rather full blend. It certainly grabs my attention with its deep, intense Oriental aroma. It burns fairly cool and requires few relights.

This is arguably C&D's finest tobacco, and one of the best blends on the market today. If you like things like Durbar, you'll love this. Alfred Dunhill would have been proud to blend this.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First off, I found nothing about this tobacco to be mild, from match to ash this is a moderately strong blend with full taste. The VAs are a backdrop to a Turkish show in my opinion and the Latakia falls into step with the VA. For me this is a great smoke to follow a meal as opposed to before one or between them because of is strength. IMO if you like Dunhill Durbar, you will enjoy this ... as I do. A strong blend that is not harsh or acrid. Very nice stuff.

Cheers, VC

rkzenrage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rkzenrage (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Something about this blend really grabs me. I love the spicy odor and great colors; reds, blonds and darks right out of the tin. When you light it, it is spicy and mild all at once somehow and has an Old World feel to it. Rajah?s Court is saved in my home for thoughtful times when I can think of things that I used to dream of. It is an easy smoke that does not require a lot of attention, so it is great for this kind of activity. One great fluffy charring light that the wonderful springy cuts take to like they were meant just for it, a light tamping and you are off to the races? or a magic carpet. The top of the bowl starts off with the stewed-fruit of the Perique and Va?s nicely settling you in with sweetness. Then as the mid bowl sinks in with a warmth of Latakia and spice of more Va?, the Perique is still there, but with a darker sweetness that is a bit more in the background, it is a very comforting time. About this time I am impressed with the light and dark contrasting nature of a fluffy ash on top of the tobacco. The bottom of the bowl is still warm but musky, with a heavier spice, not tropical? Levantine and almost incense like if you have smoked it very slowly. I have never experienced a bit of bitterness and have always wanted another bowl. This is a cool smoking tobacco regardless of the Va? content, I have found, though that may be due to the thoughtful mood it puts me in. One note that I do not normally put in reviews, none to date, I avoid drinking or eating after smoking this because I find the nose and aftertaste exquisite. Great job C&D. Also, great service, I am almost out and can?t wait to call you again. Namaste?

This is a great all-day smoke for the English fans. It has a classic "dunhillish" feel when you open the tin, that good old sweet Virginia-Oriental smell. It comes with the perfect moisture, I just leave it dry a little bit.When you light, the first impression is of an oriental-canted tobacco, but after a few puffs the Virginias are back in the front row, perfectly balancing the blend with their sweetness. Only the latakia lacks a little for my taste, but it's present and comes out here and there. A fine change of pace for the latakia addicted.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)

This blend is to me what Early Morning Pipe should be. It is hands down a better blend IMO. Rajahs doesn't bite and could easily be an all day smoke for the medium english fan. The VA's really shine in this blend with a few hints of the oriental and Latakia bouncing in and out throughout the bowl. Relights are great and seem to taste wonderfully rich/smokey never bitter. On occasion I've had a relight give out a burst of sweetness. My tin arrived at ideal moisture content and readily smokable. However I do believe this blend would benefit much from aging due to the high VA content; as it did have a few rough spots. (Which are probably due to my poor techinque rather than the tobacco:) ) And I will be cellaring a few tins for this reason.

So, If your a med english/Early Morning Pipe fan you've been summoned to appear in court, Rajahs Court! Where the verdict is in: A delicious blend! Rev: 11/10/04

UPDATE:Aging didn't help. Not a regular for me anymore. Sorry Rajah but in the future I'll be "failing to appear". Not unlike the smoothness I was waiting for in this blend.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)

The batch of this that I'm currently smoking is at least a few years old.I purchased it (sealed)on a bargin table at a recent pipe show.The contents in the tin were still reasonably moist and the scent of the turkish leaf quickly filled the room upon opening.Rajah's Court is a nice medium english in the spirit of S.Gawith's "Squadron Leader" and vaguely reminds me of "Early Morn. Pipe".Just a nice all-be-it tame blend with good flavor,just not full enough to really WOW me.I suggest it to those wishing to "get their feet wet" with turkish leaf... prep 3/22/05

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend was a pleasant surprise to me. Upon opening the can, you are instantly aware of the pungent orientals added to the VA's. Colors are typical golden, mohagony, and black. Moisture was perfect, packing easy, lighting easy. Initial flavor: Pungent (in a good way).

Relight Flavor: Settles down with the VA's coming out and the latakia in the background.

Mid-Bowl: Nice, mellow, with hints of VA sweetness, and an occasional burst of bitterness from the oriental leaf.

Bottom of bowl: Slight increase of richness, ends with a sweet note and a pleasant aftertaste.

Overall: A nice mid-strength English blend tilted toward the orientals with good interplay with the Va's. Good all-day blend, no tongue-bite. For me, an occaisonal smoke.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars Enjoy..

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

This to me tasted alright but it just didn't grab me. The burn is very good and steady and was not at all bitey. Seems to be a good quality blend with good leaf with proper moisture content. I might try this again but right now it would take second or third seat to some of the other english blends I enjoy. This might make a good all day smoke for some and is definately worth a try.