A rich full Oriental Mixture, pleasantly fragrant with just enough rare Syrian Latakia to satisfy without overwhelming.
Warm spiritually satisfying, this dark, full Oriental Pipe Mixture is redolent with exotic Syrian Latakia. Soothing as a cup of rich Russian tea.

Notes: Originally introduced in April, 1995 for the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors' Club, is now part of the Club Blends Series.

Blended ByFred Hanna
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste
Full

3.8
Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)

This juggernaut of incredible flavors bowled me over from the very first puff! This is one of the finest oriental-forward English blends I've ever experienced. Sinister Topiary's review is highly accurate and does the blend justice. From beginning to end, each bowl is rich with dense, velvety, slightly sweet smoke. The Syrian latakia is perfectly proportioned within the blend, and despite a big oriental push mid-bowl, it stays provocatively present.

Simply put, Samovar could be considered, in a word, delicious. I made the mistake of smoking this directly after Pease's Caravan, which seemed quite harsh and two dimensional by comparison. Between Wilderness, Legends and Samovar, McClelland's has set the bar impossibly high. An easy four stars and an instant classic.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)

When I first opened my tin of Samovar, the smell is slightly sweet and smoky, but not as sweet as my current favorite McClelland blend, FMOTT. I find the flavor is mild, but grows as the smoke carries on. I get a little bit of a floral taste, the kind that comes from the Orientals, not the kind of floral that comes from a Lakeland style blend. I like the way this is blended because the Latakia doesn’t overpower the Oriental flavor. It is very balanced. I haven’t had a lot of experience with Syrian Latakia and I find it more subtle and I like it. I could see Samover as part of my regular rotation.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What an honor to be the first to review this sublime blend.

Just when I thought I'd found the blend I'd been searching for with McClelland's Scottish Woods, I try Samovar. I'm embarrassed to say it, but this is the blend I've been searching for too. I guess I was searching for both of these blends. Scottish Woods appeals to my desire for an oriental forward blend, and this one appeals to my desire for a full, dark english where the oriental is not the star but a character actor that works harmoniously with the rest of a world-class ensemble.

The syrian in this forms a wonderful, unobtrusive, silky bed on which the other ingredients frolic and dance. Indeed Samovar is a perfect name for this blend, as it is more than a little reminiscent of Russian Caravan, a blended black tea usually comprised of Oolong, Keemum & Lapsang Souchong (though sometimes with Assam instead of Oolong & Keemum): strong and malty yet dry, with a smokiness that suffuses the flavor, finishing with just a hint of some kind of bittersweet dark liquor. Unlike the tea, however, this blend burns beautifully. Oh, and it has a luxurious mouthfeel too.

This is the most richly satisfying dark, subtle, nuanced, full blend I've ever had. This blend is like the place in the Venn diagram where Three Oaks Syrian and Scottish Woods intersect, and that makes for a blend that is otherworldly delicious: Samovar is another major masterpiece of the blending arts from a master blender.

I am sated. I don't feel a need anymore (for now) to keep looking for the Holy Grail of blends. With the discovery of Samovar my Desert Island Blend Collection (DIBC) feels complete: between this and my other four (and a few three) star blends I am content.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

My favorite English (along with Sillem's Commodore Flake). In recent months, I've been playing around with combinations of Syrian Three Oaks and Frog OTT and ATP in order to punch up the former without pushing that subtle, seductive Syrian Lat too far into the background. I ended up with something that's pretty good (calling it Tree Frog...get it?), but it turns out Samovar is what I was trying to get to. This blend is amazing. I've tried Legends, also by Fred Hanna, and it was delightful. But this one is over-the-top good.

One caveat - I've had trouble keeping it lit at times. Pack your bowl well in advance (a couple of days or more seems to work) and do it carefully (e.g., three-layer method). If your tastebuds are anything like mine, you'll be happy you did.

7/26/2014 - Hearth & Home's White Knight, one of Russ Oullette's latest and greatest, is even better than Samovar (and Commodore Flake), imo. But Samovar is still wonderful, and will surely appeal to some more than those other two.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand

Age When Smoked: < 1 year

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I think Samovar might be the most delicious and satisfying English mixture I've ever smoked. Starts out noticeably sweet, presumably from the Virginia. After a few puffs, the Orientals kick in, enriching the flavor, and building steadily as the bowl progresses. Samovar is, so far, my only experience with Syrian Latakia, but now I know I like it. It's a constant presence, a fragrant ribbon that weaves in and out of the smoke.

Samovar is very well balanced, but I would say the Orientals take the lead with their warmth and spice. I love exhaling this smoke out of my nose. That's often a good indicator for me that I'm experiencing some very fine Oriental tobacco. The Virginia provides a naturally sweet foundation for the others to build upon. Syrian Lat seems a lot more delicate and nuanced than its Cyprian cousin. It's almost like a perfume or incense that occasionally wafts up before fading back into the background. I shudder to think that some day all the Syrian Lat will be gone. We pipe smokers will have lost something truly special, and the world will be a sadder place for it.

All in all, an astonishingly pleasant smoking experience. I can't praise it highly enough.

Age When Smoked: 2 years (2012 tin code)

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Maltese Falcon (Heirloom Collection).

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)

This is the greatest Oriental blend McClelland has ever produced. It reminds me of the old line tobaccos from when I started smoking, when names like Cotton, Rattray, Sobranie and Bell's ruled, and the proper amount of preparation and maturation was taken. Either they spent a long time perfecting this blend (like the above houses did) or someone had their best day ever when they mixed this.

When I smoke Samovar, the individual components mix well into wonderful, dry, exotic flavor. While it is an excellent singular taste, the best qualities of the individual components shine through. The Orientals come through with a spicy citrus and never get sour or too hot, the latakia adds a dry smoke but does not (as many do) give a tarry house-on-fire note, the Virginias are sweet and full with no vineger or bite.

I am interested to see what a few years of aging will do to this.

I think that when TR was recently changed the website, the newer version of this was added to the mid 1990’s run of this blend. My now empty tin is from the new era. Although McClelland makes a lot of English Blends that I enjoy on occasion, I generally don’t find any in my normal rotation. Samover could change all of that for me. Samover offers a sour/smoky scent to my nose indicative of its components. Like most blends made by McClelland, I find it far too wet for my liking so I gave it significant dry time. It was worth the wait. An adjective I have never used with a tobacco blend immediately came to mind at first light, velvet. It is so very smooth, almost too smooth as I like a little more strength in my blends, but the flavor, oh the flavor is a bell ringer. The smoothness reminds me of the Levin era Syrian Ringlow Reserve and given the Syrian in both blends I guess that’s no surprise. The combination of the Orientals, which lead the way, followed by the Syrian Latakia is paired masterfully. There is a subtle sweetness that shows itself from time to time too. This is a mild, biteless well done blend that is hands down one of my favorites from McClelland.

This is a dark black color with streaks of walnut brown. Had the unmistakeably winey smell of Syrian latakia in the tin and an underlying aroma of good orientals. The cut was a ribbon with a few clumps. My tin was two years old.

This is a fine blend but, unlike my fellow reviewers, I find nothing here to get overly excited about. Nice dark taste and full like the McClellands Royal Cajun line is full - not in strength but in richness of flavor. I'd call it medium, but this does have decent flavor. The orientals have the lead in the flavor department with the latakia always in attendance with each puff. The previous reviewer said this reminded him of Frog ATP and I agree. I like this one better, but only slightly. The occasional odd taste rears its head and that may be simply a slight aversion on my part to Syrian latakia. I find this one to be mildly complex with a smattering of depth. Nothing much beyond the ordinary, but certainly worth a try, and this one apparently sets some hearts a'flutter. This one I'd rate 2.5 stars, rounded up because McClellands is a quality blender and I'm sure they got this one just how they wanted it.

King T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King T (3)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are a latakia lover then this is a must try. Who my kidding, if you are a latakia lover you have most likely already tried this blend. And the chances that you like it a lot are very high. I took this tin out to where my friends and I smoke our pipes on Friday nights. Not everyone there is a latakia lover. Only a couple of us are latakia fanatics. But everyone who smoked a pipe at group tried the blend. And at the end of the night everybpdy had only positivity to say about it. A few made note of the name as they wanted some for themselves.

On opening any tin I always take a big smell. This tin was no different. I was expecting a huge and maybe even over powering smokiness smell of deep campfire. But I was greated with something else. This was a very smooth and mellow latakia smell. But the orientals are what surprised me the most. Very crisp and it actually made my mouth water a little bit. Yes, the thought of what would it taste like did cross my mind. The note of virginias in this blend is very difficult to detect upon opening the tin. It took me some time but I think I could barely smell any virginia if at all. This smells predominantly of oriental and latakia.

Lighting this blend was easy. Didn't have to let it dry out at all. Straight out of the tin to the pipe. And to top it off, no need to char light it and retap. One light is all it took. It's like the blend was wanting to be lit and smoked.

First taste was smokey. But the orientals made their pressence known along with a great dose of that wonderful syrian latakia. Balance at its best is the only way to describe this taste. The tobaccos here blend well. Nothing sticks out dominantly more than it should. Again, balance is the word here. The burn is even down the bowl. Everytime I smoke this blend I tap it down no more than three times and maybe relight three times max. More often than not one relight is all I did.The smoke is is very, very smooth. Exhaling through the nose at times reminds me of how calming and relaxing this blend can be if smoked slowly. I have decided a two, slow sip cadence is best to maximize my enjoyment with this blend. Accompanied by water to drink as to not impede the accuracy of the tobacco I think was a good choice.

At the end of the bowl all I did was turn the pipe upside down and tap. The ash freely fell out. It didn't even look like there was moisture in the bottom of the bowl. At that moment I remember thinking, "when am I going to smoke this next?" I ate dinner and the next bowl I smoked was Samovar.

Pipe Used: peterson

Age When Smoked: 2014 right out of the tin

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Extremely pleasurable tobacco experience. Great blending with great tobacco. Multi-dimensional and complex, yet balanced. Delivers spice and floral notes on the retrohale. Burns clean on one light, post char. 4*.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik

Age When Smoked: Tin stamped 122 12

Purchased From: P&C

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

What a superior blend! I have yet to work my way through all McClelland's blends containing Syrian Latakia but this one is outstanding. This is better than their Syrian Full Balkan and their Syrian Super Balkan. In appearance it resembles the Syrian Full Balkan (which I gave 2 stars long ago) but the flavor is more like the Syrian Super Balkan - but better. It is far better balanced. Silkier, smoother, more velvety.

As with most true Latakia based blends, do not expect a nicotine onslaught. I don't miss that anyway. It's that good.

In short the flavor profile is more robust than either other. I don't know about Russian black tea but this is the aged Merlot of the pipe tobacco world. A daily bowl is a treat, especially in the evening which one can savor its smoky delicacy at leisure, and yes, with some good hot tea. This is not a beer and chips blend - it is a celebration smoke.

As to comparing it to Ashton Artisan's Blend - remove the perique in that, soften the Virginias, up the other Orientals a tad: there you go. As to comparing it to the C&D Cordial - I only do that from a taste similarity in that the black cavendish there softens its Cyprian Latakia into a more Syrian-like experience, add more oriental varieties than just Ismir: There you go.

But it is most like C&D Star of the East - just much, much smoother and without the sneaky nicotine kick SOTE can give by bowl's end.

My favorite blend is still C&D Engine 99. If I was on our desert island and had a large supply of it that would be my choice. But if I were restricted to only a small stash of pipe tobacco on that island and could only smoke a bowl a week, or a month, or worse, this one might get the call.

Pipe Used: Large briar billiards and pots

Age When Smoked: Two years

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl-066: Star of the East, Cornell & Diehl - 973: Cordial, Ashton - Artisan's Blend.

Monarchist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monarchist (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This ribbom-cut blend immediately makes itself known as you pop open the lid with the smokey Syrian Latakia predominating. As is usual for me, I immediately took out a pinch to play with. While not wet, it is somewhat on the damp side, so I took out a bowlful and spread it out to dry. After about 15-20 minutes I judged it ready to smoke, and decided on a pipe with a deep, but not too wide bowl. The pipe that fit off the top of my head was my Bjarne. I packed it slightly tight at the bottom and worked my way to a looser pack up to the top. It takes a small bit of work but after going through a standard pipe-lighting routine, it caught and burned nicely.

In a word - WOW!

As with the tin, the first thing that makes itself known is the Latakia. Is delicate an adjective you can use for Latakia? Well, thats how it tasted to me. Right behind it though was the unmistakeable sweetness of the Virginia, with the spicyness of the Orientals bringing up the rear. I have no idea which Oriental vatietals were used in this blend, but they add a smooth spicyness (if that makes any sense) without that perfumy, soapy harshness I've encountered with some other Orientals.

That said, Samovar must be sipped, as the Virginia will bite if you're not careful. A slow, smoldering bowl is best. This will, in most likelyhood require some relights along the way, but so what?

All in all, in some ways, and I'll probably catch hell for saying this, something in the back of my head whispered something "Bohemien" at me. Now it's been a long time since I smoked anything "Bohemien", so I won't insist on this, but for me, the impression was there.

Incidentally, I unintentionally got to sample the DGT potential of Samovar and I must say it's great! Somehow, the sweetness of the Virginias remains, but the bite seems to have attenuated a great deal, allowing for a bit more vigorous puffing.

Another item - room note. Had a friend drop in and I offered him a bowl of Samovar. As I was smoking cigarettes at the time, which temporarily ruins the palate for pipe tobacco, I got to sit back and enjoy the aroma. Now, keep in mind that I love this stuff, so my opinion may be skewed, but I thought the room note was great. The general aroma was soft with the Latakia definitely present but in no way overwhelming.

I can't speak to what age will bring to the table with this blend, since I've not had the oportunity to sample any but the current offering, but I'm keeping my eye out for either the original production, or the current one with age on it, and should I luck out, I'll try to add my impressions to this review.

In conclusion, if you want to try a really great English blend that gives balanced satisfaction without overwhelming, you must give this a try. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I really LOVE this blend.

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love Syrian latakia. This is the best syrian blend I have tried. Sweet and nutty with that syrian incense like cloying taste. I want to puff it all day it is so good. My second favorite tobacco.

Burns well and tastes phenomenal. Anyone who enjoy Syrian should try this blend. It is truly the blend that all other syrian englishes want to be!

keisel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keisel (12)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of my favorites, it's one of the must perfect balanced blends I ever smoked. The latakia is there, the oriental is there and all that with a slow burning. I think it's important to say that one of the tins I got was not 100% the same with the others, it was more hot burning and not 100% same taste. I hope it was a bad luck (?). For all you latakia-oriental lovers, don;t miss this one.

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

This has become one of my favorite English blends of all time. The Syrian Latakia in this really sings and the overall blend is one of the sweetest and nuttiest tasting English blends I have ever encountered. I am definitely going to stock up on about 10 tins of this and recommend you seek this one out if you are looking for an absolutely delicious English blend.

ChronoB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChronoB (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This may be the most balanced blend I've ever smoked, and is now my "go to" blend. Sweetness from the virginias, floral spiciness from the orientals, and smooth, smoky Syrian Latakia all work in harmony. Samovar is more than the sum of its parts. Full and flavorful but never overwhelming. Easy to pack, light and smoke. No tongue bite, and easy on the sinuses. Wonderful in every pipe I've tried with it. I highly recommend.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

If you like Oriental/Latakia mixtures, you will love this blend. For me, this blend lights well, and smokes cool and dry all the way to the bottom of the bowl like all great blends. The Latakia and Orientals in this blend deliver what I look for in my pipe smoking. The Latakia in this mixture is just perfect, there is enough to satisfy my craving for the stuff, but not so much as to over shadow the fine orientals. I smoke Samovar several times during the week, and once I start with it I generally smoke it the rest of the day. I recommend it highly. Buy it, smoke it, and enjoy it. This is a CPCC club blend, so every puff supports the Chicago Pipe Show.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I don't find many Oriental blends to have much strength, this one is an exception. I do not know if there is a difference in the revival of this one as compared to the 1995 Chicago Show original (which is what I am smoking right now, as a matter of fact). I do know that there is a lot of flavor here and most of it is derived from the Latakia, which is top shelf. It is truly spicy (thanks to the orientals), and will plaster the heck out of the palate, so puff slowly.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

let's take some Lancers Slices and mix it with a lighter dose of Orientals. OK "N" hit, Medium flavor, creamy. Reminds me of Frog Morton ATP but without the "Deartongue". Drawbacks: cut is hard to smoke at a smolder (like Frog Morton ), tends to be a little too spicy. I would have liked the Orientals out front a little more. I need more time with this for a full evaluation.

Updated 10/31/11 Well with a little time to breath, I have to agree with reviewer " DK" above, " nothing to get excited about". I tried this both in a cob and brier with the same "blah" results. It starts with Latakia that quickly fades to Orientals that fades to one dimensional mottled smoke. It is kind of spicy ( I agree with "Pipestud" above), some bitterness and boring, I don't even know how to place this. I won't buy again ( Scottish Woods is much better than this), removed a star. Tobacco does improve as you get to the bottom of the tin which leads me to believe this needs more resting time.

The Saint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Saint (6)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is one outstanding blend. It gratifies without overwhelming says it all. I can smoke this anytime of the day or night.

The Layman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Layman (9)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

All I can say is, wow. I've been a fan of the grand oriental line and I swear that this blend has a touch of Samsun in it. As an English blend it is extraordinarily smooth and cool to smoke, but with a bit more of a silky touch to it. No bite whatsoever. There are a lot of English blends that try to come off as something new and better, but most really just fall along-side every other blend. This one sticks out and goes the extra mile. It has what you expect with a bit of Latakia, but the oriental addition is done up just right. You get a very complex and rewarding smoke that is truly great right down to the bottom of the bowl. My only complaint was that it's a bit difficult to light, though it is good to go once that's accomplished.I really cannot wait to try this in the summer when I go camping or hiking! I'm definitely going to get a good supply of this to stock away and I imagine you will too if you give it a try.

cranziron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cranziron (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nirvana!!! This is the most sublime tobacco I've smoked to date! It is a full, dark English that doesn't overpower and all the components are in balance working together to produce an unforgettable experience. Sinister Topiary's review just about says it all. Get some of this now!

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I am smoking a tin of the McClelland Collector Club Series tins of Samovar. A CPCC blend from the series. I find that it lights well and burns well. For me that is an essential element for any blend. The taste is true to an Oriental mix. No bite or harshness to this blend; and it delivers a good steady taste from start to finish. This is going to be one of my regular blends in rotation. Highly recommended.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

I must agree with Pipestuds review! absolutely delicious! I have one more tin left from 1994. The syrian is in the background but has moments when that fruity, smoky taste lets you know its there. the orientals are strong and sometimes almost too powerful. the tin note when first opened is offensive to say the least. like old sweaty socks, but man, what a taste. I have yet to find any tobacco on the market today that tastes like that. Excellent in colder weather. I once smoked this just outside the Russian tea room in Chicago after having Black Russian tea from a samovar after an incredible dinner and i must say I will never forget it. Stunning. If you come across a tin pay through the nose to get it. I would.

Samovar is without question the best of the PCCA blends i have tried to date. I was fortunate enough to purchase a variety of PCCA tins in an estate sale and have had fun going through them.

Samovar is loaded with spicy, smooth, yet dark and strong Oriental leaf. The Orientals made for a unique presentation and the Virginia and Syrian Latakia were both somewhat in the background of this smoke.

If you are a fan of powerful Oriental leaf (hard to find,) Samovar may be worth looking for. I don't know how many tins were produced, but I imagine scoring a tin on Ebay would be worth the added price if this is your cup of tea. I know I'll be hunting for more.