A fine, well balanced medium English with premium Turkish, Latakia, Virginia, and Perique. The quality of the leaf assures the excellent flavor and aging potential of this blend. Medium English.

BrandBufflehead
Blended ByDavid Windsor
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Perique, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)

Bufflehead's "Redhead Duck" interested me by the idea it might be a bulk alternative to CAO's Midnight Ride. Redhead Duck turns out to be a nice blend that packs and lights and burns very well. It also produces a good volume of quite tasty smoke and, obviously, is less expensive than MR. I can't bring myself to say Redhead Duck is the "equal" to Midnight Ride, mostly because MR consistantly smokes cooler for me in any size pipe and its' Perique is more controlled (like my Perique that way). But anyone who likes MR is very likely going to enjoy Redhead Duck and certainly won't mind the lower price of Redhead Duck. And candidly, you lads who dote on Perique may well like Redhead Duck even better than MR. I'm going to keep some Redhead Duck around to "pinch-hit" for my MR once in a while because it is, in fact, a nice blend of quality leaf that is very well worth a try.

Tiger

sgresso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sgresso (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the first Tobacco I have tried from Bufflehead. I bought The tin last year at the chicago pipe show. I let this tin age for around 9 months before I decided to open it to try. The opening smell is a good aroma, very " Nutty and Wood-like smell from the Cyprian Latakia. The tobacco was moist but not to moist. Upon first light I got a sweet smell of "Coffee" like smell. I believe that that was the Oriental tobacco coming through. I tamped and relit. The taste was nice and full, but not overpowering like some Latakia blends can be. The diferent tobaccos swirl and form a sweet, full taste like a good cup of tea. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 9 for taste and smokeability, It would have been a 10 but the room note is tolerable, but not strong enought not to smoke inside my apt. I recomend that you try this one at least once and possibly let a tin of to age.