Cornell & Diehl pays tribute to America's African American soldiers with Buffalo Soldier, the first in a new series. We've applied just the right proportion of Latakia and Perique to a base of naturally sweet Virginias to create a well rounded, all day blend.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz. tin
Strength
Taste

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

So per the tin description I expected a Va forward blend with support from the Latakia, playing nicely with the Perique...oh, and I assumed the Vas would be somewhat sweet. What I recd was a mishmash of unintended harshness, where the perique assumed the role of top dog. I figured this out at initial tin note, where the St. James leaf was overpowering. Burn wasn't bad, heat could be controlled, but I couldn't shake the clash of flavors. Having said that, it wasn't rough to the point it could not be smoked, it was mild enough where I smoked it daily...even tried a new cob to give the C&D blend every chance to shine; alas it was not meant to be.

Pipe Used: Vs dedicated braids, cobs

Purchased From: P&C.com

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

My tin was labeled 2011, that I just opened. The tobacco was just the right moisture content to smoke. Upon lighting, the Virginias lead the show, sweet maple , with a slow sip. Although Latakia is listed , it is in very small quantity, however, the Perique shows itself as hot spice as you go down the bowl. I get the same hot spice from "Sunday Picnic", which I can't tolerate. I'm afraid that additional ageing won't help, we will see . I can't give this a high rating due to the heat, it must be my chemistry from the quantity of excellent reviews listed.

Updated 8/16/11 Dried tobacco more and another pipe , Same hot biting result. Dumped pipe after 1/3 . took rating down one more star.

Updated 4/26/11 It's almost a year in the tin and I gave this another two tries, one in a JUMBO pot and the second in a cob. Result, Blah! This isn't sweet, isn't smoky, isn't Oriental, isn't creamy, isn't salty, what it is, is hard on the tongue! Just no taste but plenty of "N". I'm now trying a bowl of "Tuskegee Airmen" right now and this has some flavor from the Turkish and is much smoother! Will not buy again and will try blending this before I THROW IT OUT.

rick5iron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rick5iron (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice quality tobacco. Another very good blend from C&D

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Just finished a tin dated 7/19/10. This is a fine but overlooked tobacco. Very similar to Tuskegee Airman but in a ribbon cut, BS works for me as a morning light English with a hint of Perique. It comes fairly dry in the tin--which I like--and burns cool down to a light gray ash. The flavor is sweet Virginia with a balance of Latakia, Oriental and Perique. It would also work as an all-day tobacco if you're so inclined.

The African American soldier tribute series does not get enough attention in my opinion as all are quite good, especially TA. Recommended.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of those blends that i've always wanted to try, but C&D has many blends so it had to wait in favor of a few aromatics that i thought were good but one dimensional, i.e autumn evening to name but a few. Buffalo Soldier is considered to be a medium english blend. Medium on the latakia as well as medium on the perique as well as red sweet virginias to wrap it all up. Absolutely wonderful. I tried their full english blend called bayou evening and although i have yet to add my pennies to it, B.S is similar to this blend but on a slightly lower strength level. Perfect for me and my requirements for an english mixture since i am primarily an aromatic fan. The latakia and perique dominate this from start to finish so if you like some of the english blends than this will need to be experienced. I give this four stars because i can smoke it all day, savor the smoky, spicy but gentle sweetness of this truly wonderful tobacco, then switch to one of my aro's. Not complex like some that are out there, along with a hefty price, but for the money i can actually buy some of this and really enjoy it also. Nice nic hit also, another requirement that makes this blend very satisfying.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (69)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just opened my first tin....New Year's Eve 2010...Kingston, Jamaica...how appropriate. Great ribbon cut and beautiful scent when the tin was opened. A bit dry but the taste made up for this. I like the perique with the latakia...both of which are a nice balence. The room note is wonderful...at least to me and I haven't heard any complaints. Will try to bring a little moisture into the tin to see if that cools the smoke and takes away the slight bite. It's a winner and I like it. This is the initial review that I will add to as I get through the can in 2011. Eirie mon.

gmconklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gmconklin (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I have become a great fan of Latakia/Perique blends of late and this one is a nice addition to my collection. It is definitely much more mild in both respects than other similar blends, but that is exactly how it is described. The very subtle, spicey aroma was perfect for me, very few relights and I found it's room note very nice.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

Holy Smoke!

Yes it's that good, and I couldn't agree more with Captain bob, even though I think Buffalo Soldier is only a little less complex than Tuskegee rather than lighter. Regardless, both these new blends from Cornell & Diehl are nothing short of OUTSTANDING! I think that I prefer Buffalo simply because it has a little more sweetness from the Virginias and I think the dash of Perique adds some too. Puff away on this blend and you still can't get it to bite you. The description indeed nailed it in mentioning "well rounded" and "all day smoke". To my taste, Buffalo Soldier is the closest thing I have ever found to "My Mixture 965" which I considered to be a perfect blend. The sweetness, the underneath nuttiness and the smoothness are all "right there".

On a personal note, my pipe smoking journey almost ended with the demise of the Murray Dunhill blends. I smoked hundreds of tobacco in the last five years trying to find the quality and flavor that those old English blends gave me for nearly 20 years. Indeed I never found anything that satisfied as those blends did, and just when I was ready to give upon pipe smoking altogether, someone blends two genuine masterpieces. Now my question to all blenders would be "why did it take so long to create blends that captured the essence and excellence of those old Dunhill blends"?

Congratulations C&D, for my tastes, you have created the definitive "sublime blend".

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)

I noticed that "Soldier" is similar to Tuskegee but without the Turkish element. And it is a slightly lighter smoke. Although, both are very comfortable, easy smoking treats in your pipe. Perhaps there is a bit a bit more Va in this one.

Both of these are excellent, mild, delicious and easy-going smokes that you will likely want to repeat often. That is why I think they are both exceptional. Any discriminating pipe smoker will notice the difference although it is subtle.

Subtle, or not, delicious is a good thing. I do love this new Series. I was told another blend in the Series is also in the works, but my lips are sealed for now. It can't come soon enough!

If you try these, you will find that they are all natural tobacco with plenty of taste while remaining very mild and quite enchanting. Room aroma is quite acceptable, in my opinion. Not at all overpowering.

While you will taste the Latakia, it is properly proportional to the other elements and makes for a very pleasing room note without taking the front stage.

Either one of these could be a favorite. It might just boil down to your personal preference for a "Cake" or Traditional-Cut. One is more fun... the other is pack and burn.

The only negative might be trying to decide on one versus the other. They are both very good, highest quality and perfect moisture. The artwork is cool, too!

I report... you decide.