Cornell & Diehl pays tribure to Ameria's African American airmen with Tuskegee Airman, the second in their new series. A blend of Virginias, Perique, Turkish and Latakia is pressed to marry the flavors then sliced for easy packing.

ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2 oz. Tin
Strength
Taste

3.4
Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

I purchased my first in of this at my B&M eight days ago. The tin was dated 8/10 and the top and bottom were distended, I assumed, from fermentation. Just to be sure all was well with it I peeled it open while there and was greeted by the noticeable aroma indeed of tinned fermentation and a tin aroma different from what I was expecting from reading some of the preceding reviews. Loading my pipe I noted a sweetish taste that was sort of familiar but not what I was expecting.

My tin contained a single rectangular block of lightly pressed tobacco that had not been sliced into flakes. I surmised that the light pressing would have immediately fallen into rubbed out status had it been further sliced but that did not matter as the tobacco readily crumbled into loadable pieces anyway. Moist still, it took easily to the first match and required no further relights.

I enjoyed the smoke on the drive home still confused by this "English" (by American standards, as it were: MM 965, Engine 99, London Mixture, for example). Later, on the next day, and on my third bowl did it dawn on me that I was actually smoking a very unique, high quality VAPER with the bonus of superior Turkish Izmir and just enough fine Latakia as a seasoning. I relished this blend once I could slot it into my tobacco world. It DOES state Virginia and perique as the first two components - I should smoke more and read less.

C&D may have introduced this as the second of their commemorative series, but it just as easily could have been part of their Simply Elegant series of flakes. This is simply wonderful. Good work, Mr. Tarler. I will be returning to B&M this week to clean his shelves of this one.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)

I sat at a table with Craig Tarler, Cornell and Diehl, to review and smoke the new blends introduced at the Chicago Show on May 1st, 2010.

I am familiar with the Tuskegee Airmen and, being a pilot myself, I enjoyed lunch with one of these hero's at the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) Oshkosh Airshow last year. I am proud that C&D is paying tribute to this excellent group of WWII Aviators.

I asked Craig Tarler to recommend a "medium" English to me. This was his recommendation. You should know how I define English blends to better appreciate my personal review.

Light English = Latakia barely discernible; Medium English = Discernible Latakia; Full English = Predominantly Latakia tobacco flavor

I was given an 8 ounce tin to smoke. The presentation was in "Cake Form" of perfect moisture to rub out, pack, and easily light.

There is no topping. This is a mild well married tobacco flavor of the ingredient tobacco's. I have classified it as a Medium English, perfect to my desire for a non-aromatic blend containing Latakia. This one fills the bill, perfectly. It is very smooth and flavorful without tongue bite. It burns evenly and very comfortably while delivering extraordinary mild flavor marriage of the Va, Perique, Turkish and Latakia melded beautifully in a very tasteful combination.

I have never before smoked a "Medium" English that I would consider an all day smoke. But, this one would be it. It is very mild, yet tasteful, holding your interest all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The Virginia's allow the right amount of sweetness in balance to the other ingredient tobaccos. This blend is not at all bitter as are some blends that contain Latakia. It has the right amount of sweetness from the Virginia's and I wanted to smoke it again, right away. I have used several pipes and liked it in all of them, both large and small bowls.

If there ever was a way to say "thank you" to the Tuskegee airmen for their bravery and dedication to our mission with a pipe tobacco, this is the way to do it! Any flight I make will be well rewarded with a bowl of Tuskegee Airman when I land. Congratulations Craig, you have a winner here.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first gifted tobacco. Not sure of the age, but it came in a block form. Smelled really spicy and leathery. Crumbled some off the block into the pipe. It's a mild medium English blend, where the Latakia is really in the background hidden, but the spicy perique was there. I don't find it sweet at all, but it is fairly easy to smoke. It is my first C+D blend to smoke, and I definitely enjoyed it. Gave me a little heartburn, may have a slightly higher nicotine content. You could provably smoke this any time or the day or all day. Definitely worth a try!

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum mini cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown but probably on the newer side.

Purchased From: Gifted

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

It's an interesting pressed crumble cake sort of cut, with clumps that need to be broken up somewhat before loading. Good flavor, with no single element overwhelming. I'm trying to cut down on the blends I give four stars to, so I'll give this three, but it definitely has four star potential i.e. if you like the ingredients and the overall approach of C&D, try it, you may find it is four stars for you...

After reading other reviews, I would agree that the latakia is in the background, and that there's a bit more perique than in many other English blends, so it's fairly dissimilar to what most people think of when they think of an "English" blend or even read the ingredients. The perique can be pretty dominant at the end of the bowl, the orientals are the most forward at the start of the bowl. The VA and latakia are both obviously present but neither takes things over.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

The tin aroma of Tuskegee Airman bursts forth with the earthy, cheddar-cheese-like odors of Perique. Tangy Virginias mingle nicely with the Perique. Latakia floats in the background, its smokiness barely discernable. The Orientals are even harder to pick out, but all these tobaccos do their part in the overall balance and appeal of this blend's very interesting tin aroma.

Tin description says “ …pressed to marry the flavors then sliced for easy packing.”, My tin was not sliced - presented as a solid crumble cake. A little more work but not really a problem. Lights well, burns very nicely.

The flavor to me resembles a VaPer as much as an “English” blend. The balance is amazing, and the blend is absolutely delicious. All of the tobaccos come out more clearly in the smoke. Virginia and Perique still run the show, but the Turkish and Latakia assert themselves warmly.

C&D have outdone themselves, this stuff is incredible and decadent. A new blend for my favorites list. If I could I'd spread this stuff on crackers and make a total pig of myself.

Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coyote (7)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Amazing! I'm a “puffer,” it's just the way I've always smoke my pipes. Like many of you I'm on the holy pilgrimage to find great pipe tobacco's. I've smoked many of C&D's blends and like many of them. This one is amazing. Pressed in a wonderful little cube, I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about “pressing” but the one's I've smoked, I like. First, this is a medium English, you can taste the Latakia, and smell it in the tin. Mild and mellow immediately came to mind while smoking it. Note about ‘Room Note' it also is quite wonderful. I smoke A.M. Pipe from McClelland, a bulk, it also is somewhat mild but the Latakia is discernible in it's taste and room note. The room note in Tuskegee does not have much of a Latakia fragrance, I like that. Taste, Oh My Goodness, it must be the VA because there is a slight sweetness both in the taste and especially in the after taste. After puffing there is a slight sweetness in my mouth. Some of you who know much more than I might say that's the Perique or the Turkish. I just know it's a wonderful sweetness. Being a “Puffer” I am prone to burn my mouth, No Way with Tuskegee. 10 minutes after finishing this my mouth is back to normal. I'm testing out some Buffalo Soldier also and will report. I like this a lot.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

It's a shame that TA isn't attracting more attention that it is. A medium English that emphasizes the Orientals over the Latakia, TA has a slightly "nutty" taste to me and a fine English room note. It is pressed into a sliced cake that rubs out easily and burns slowly, dry and cool. It's become a regular smoke of mine. Similar to its mate, Buffalo Soldier, TA fills a spot in the rotation for a flavorful medium English that's not too heavy on the Latakia "camp fire." Recommended.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Let me start by saying that I should have let this dry a bit before I smoked it.

I was given a sample of this from my local tobacconist, consisting of two 'cakes.' I looked forward to this due to the pleasant smell; I expected a flavorful experience. However, I was a tad disappointed. Initially, this tobacco didn't really want to light. (Probably my fault.) After a couple of relights, it did answer with voluminous smoke, but the taste was thin and not what I expected. The virginia didn't come through, nor did the latakia initially. In fact, it wasn't until the second half of the bowl that the flavors began to come through. Once they did, however, there was enough going on to keep me interested. Here's the thing: I believe that the flavors were so balanced, none of them really came through. There were moments when the latakia would peek out, but it would fade just as quickly. The sweetness of the virginia never fully developed, at least not in the way that a VaPer blend would. As the bowl was finishing, the different essences seemed to begin to get their act together, but it was too little, too late. The finishing note was reminiscent of Penzance, but fell short of the performance of that blend by far. All in all, I was relatively disappointed. I recommend it for those who are looking for a subtle smoke, but personally I prefer something a little more flavorful. Two and a half stars.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)

This blend comes in 3 small "cake-like" flakes, resembling the baccy equivalent of a granola bar, in that its comprised of non-uniform leaf blends in light cakes (as opposed to dense cakes (circa 3P). They break apart effortlessly and seem to always pack well. Tin note lacks the Latakias typical of english's, can't pin down a decriptive-better 1/2 says it smells of old men's feet:( Typically she reserves beef jerky/liquid smoke for English Blends. Taste profile seems to me Va, Perique, Turkish, then Lat, very spicy, especially at the end. It's pleasant, not one-dimensional, good all-day smoke....think VaPer hybrid. It's not boring, I'll give it that much, won't make it into my rotation but I could see its appeal to many types of smokers.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

This is a well-balanced English blend. Quality ingredients, too. Govern Yourself Accordingly.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

Another favorite. A good solid English blend with a slight sharp, almost "cheddar" like taste to it. I loved it and look forward to every bowl.

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Very nice blend. I like the smokie smell and taste is good. I let it dry a little after cut off a piece and breaking it up. No burning of the mouth.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon lighting, the Virginias & Turkish lead the show, with a slow sip. Although Latakia is listed , it is in very small quantity, however, the Perique shows itself as hot spice as you go down the bowl. I get the same hot spice from "Sunday Picnic", and "Buffalo Soldier" which I can't tolerate. I'm afraid that additional ageing won't help, we will see . I can't give this a high rating due to the heat, it must be my chemistry from the quantity of excellent reviews listed.

This is better than Buffalo Soldier as it does have more flavor and is smoother but it is still too hard on tongue.

I agree with reviewer "p4p4 03/25/2011 "

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

One of the best English mixtures I've tried lately. Sweet Virginias and spicy Orientals are backed by a clear presence of Cyprian Latakia and a pinch of Perique, and the result is a Balkan-style English that smokes smoothly through the entire bowl. 3.5 stars.

mikeb_68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mikeb_68 (4)

Ok, this is my first perique blend so I was really looking forward to it, of course it was also my first cake type so I was a bit timid as to what to do with it. Well, I figured it out quick enough but was concerned that if felt wet..turns out it was, I had a gurgle going half way into the bowl.

That aside, once it was burning, this was a nice, tasty smoke! There was subtle sweetness and a light pepperiness which, I think, was the perique? At any rate, I also noted an herbaceous mouth-feel...now I don't mean to say it tasted like an herb, but there was a definite floral/herb taste..it was pleasant regardless and so different from anything else I've tried!

I'm putting this in my favorites because I think I will be ordering much more of this one. I recommend this one for sure.

On a side note, my personal thanks to the Tuskegee Airmen for their incredible service in WWII. A grateful nation thanks you!!

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

The difference between Tuskegee Airman and a english mixture is the elegance. T.A. is a good crumble cake, but without an english spirit. Normally perique can conterpoint a full english mix, with abundance of latakia. But T.A. is not a full english, and the content of latakia is truly poor. The problem is that with so little latakia....the perique is the king. A king of pepperness and wine-like (or old cheese-like) flavour. Not a good thing, not elegant, not british. A no-sense ! Illogical bland. The fine oriental's flavour .....with the goopy, popular wine-like flavour of red virginia and perique. It's like to eat pizza ....with ketchup. (I don't know if american people can understand the cooking absurde marriage of pizza and ketchup :-) I will finish the tin, the tobacco is not bad. Just smkable with a little ironic spirit.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (68)

New Years Day...2011. Lat night had Buffalo Soldier. Today, TA. When I opened the tin, I was greeted to the sight of a beautiful block of pressed Latakia, Va, Perique and Turkish....just beautiful. Looks like a fudge brownie and when it breaks up and rubbed out, it's easy to pack and light and stay lit. Very nice room note and a flavor to match. The Oriental in the blend makes it a bit ddifferent than BS and from this sitting (I am comparing two pipe-loads now...BS vs. TA. The TA seems to me more complex and a little more exciting. Currently burning with a very nice ash. This is going to be a regular.

Ugo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ugo (9)

Virginias, Perique, Turkish and Latakia in perfect equilibrium. All of them is there, no one stands up and dominate. A delightful mix, a great rest from stronger Latakia mixtures but without renouncing to taste.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

This is the best medium English I have had since the demise of the Murray Dunhill line, and it is my opinion that no blends have ever surpassed the Dunhills. Tuskegee Airman is every bit as good and what really impresses me is that there seems to be nothing but high quality tobacco used here.

Tuskegee has an incredible balance between ingredients so that nothing dominates. The different flavors waft in and out, but you won't find that there is too much of one tobacco or another. A little sweetness from the Virginias, the Perique is light in touch, the Turkish adds balance with the Latakia adding just the right smokey flavor. No tongue bite here even when puffing hard, and believe me, you will have a hard time not puffing away on this stuff since there will be the desire to have that delicious flavor constantly in your mouth.

If you smoked those old Murray blends I think you may find, like me, that TA might lie somewhere between Standard Mixture Medium and 965. A medium English that will be an every-day smoke for me, and in fact I may just smoke very little of anything else. It is indeed a wonderful blend, and gets my highest recommendation.