A blend of dark and light Burleys and Latakia, with red Virginia for a touch of sweetness.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Taste

3.1
Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)

When I mentioned to Chris Tarler that I wanted to explore some of his burley flakes he recommended I sample Burley Flake #4 with its Latakia component as he knows I favor his Engine 99 and Cordial blends as my everyday, all day smokes. He did not warn me however to remove my socks before firing this one up. This is a MAN'S smoke and I love it.

I've little previous experience with unflavored burleys in general and none with this presentation. Hence I was unprepared for just plain good tobacco ecstasy. This is sufficiently strong to satisfy my rather demanding standards, while not knocking me out into some delirium haze. If I was a pilot of an oil tanker navigating a ship through the Straits of Hormuz at midnight THIS is the blend I want in my pipe. It both relaxes me and focuses me mentally at the same time. It became, for as long as my small acquisition lasted, my 4 P.M. pick-me-up smoke. Liked it in a briar, savored it in a cob.

The Virginia and condimental Latakia are noticable but not overbearing. I consider them as seasonings to the potent burley goodness.

This passes my Desert Island test with plenty of room to spare.

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

this is a very strong very robust burley blend. not to the liking of everyone but this fits my tastes very well. this will put hair on your chest for sure. mostly tastes of strong dark nutty burley with some peppery hints. the virginia plays the roll of smoothing out the smoke and adds a hint of sweetness. if you like very robust blends then this is for you.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (34)

I'm going to start off by saying that I'm not much of a fan of flake tobacco. I think it's always helpful to know a pipe smokers likes and dislikes before getting too in depth into a review. I'm also a big fan of burley from C&D so I wasn't quite sure how I'd feel about their Burley Flake #4. To add another layer of complexity I like latakia so I figured the only way to really know for sure if I'd like this blend is to crack a tin open.

The tin I opened had a good 9 months of age on it. With all the C&D blends that I buy I like to have at least 3 months of age on them before I really make any judgments on them. With a little bit of settling time on each tin the flavors seem to be more distinct and not as muddy as a fresh tin. In any case the tin note is one of dark burley, earthiness and a very faint smell of latakia. Interesting. I was expecting a lot more latakia for some reason but there is no disappointment in the tin note, it smells heavenly to me.

The flakes come apart easily and that is very helpful for someone like myself who isn't typically a flake smoker. They were easy to rub out or stack up like a bundle of sticks. In my experimenting I've found that rubbing out the flakes into thin "sticks", stacking them vertically (and loosely) in the bowl and then finely rubbing out a little bit of "kindling" for the top of the bowl worked wonderfully. As long as I did my part I had no problems lighting my pipe whether the tobacco was a little moist or dried out. A little bit of air time helps but certainly isn't necessary.

I tried this blend in three different pipes and each pipe was very different in how the blend smoked and tasted. One was a KB&B Yello Bole billiard, another a Loewe billiard and the third was a Peterson 999 army mount rhodesian. The billiards smoked bitter with muddled flavors and generally just not a good experience. The Loewe specifically was quite stinging to the tongue which I found strange. Enter the Pete Rhodesian. If not for this pipe I would have written off this blend as foul but being humbled by blends in the past tells me to explore some options before passing on any blend. It may be bowl geometry or some other factor but the Pete brought out an amazing dark earthiness from the burley that is supported by a faint sweetness and smokiness from the Virginia and latakia respectively. Every now and then a whisp of chocolate or cigar notes would cross my tongue but at the forefront is that dark burley earthiness that is delicious to me. Ah, now this is the wonderful burley I know from C&D. The nicotine is a respectable medium level and for some may be medium to strong.

This blend definitely requires some patience and slow smoking to bring out all the potential. I would heartily recommend trying it in different pipes because of my experience. If you wanted a possible starting point then a wider, shallow bowl would be a good place. A Rhodesian, bulldog or Prince would be ideal in my experience. I definitely recommend this blend to burley fans and I would cautiously recommend this to English blend smokers with the caveat that they will not get the complexity or latakia hit that they might typically like.

Recommended and rated = out of == stars. The only reason it was docked a star is because of pipe dependency.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was given a sample of this flake in June and so enjoyed it ordered a half-pound. This is a very nice Burley blend. On opening, Latakia makes its presence known as the predominate aroma to greet the nose and waft into the room. The flakes are thick and soft to the touch, which means this tobacco is not cased with sweeteners as Burley so often is. Even on the moist side of a newly opened tin, this tobacco does not burn hot or bite - EVER; It is easily an all-day smoke. The Latakia and Virginia offer a wonderful interplay and complexity to the blander base notes of Burley. I had to give up Latakia some years ago as it bothered my mouth, leaving a coated sensation on my tongue. Not Burley Flake #4! This is not a "Latakia dump"and has returned to me the opportunity to enjoy a Latakia blend again. The Virginia adds a sweetness that completes the smoking experience. There are some subtle note of cigar in this blend, which I also enjoyed. One observation: Like so many Burley blends, this one has a tendency to grow moist toward the bottom of the bowl. However, it did not become bitter like so many do. Highly recommended to Burley flake smokers.

Just an additional note: This tobac has a nicotine kick not for the faint of heart.

If you've tried C&D's "Big N Burley" and found it good tasting but too strong, meet BNB's little brother. Aside from the different cuts (this is a broken flake, BNB is more rough cut) and the fact that this one is milder, they could be twins. The flavor profile is very similar to my taste buds.

Lighter in nicotine and strength, this has the same cigar notes and rush of burley flavor that come on at first light and are maintained throughout the smoke. This one will bring the fire if overpuffed but sipped appropriately, this is a fine blend. I do happen to prefer its bigger sibling but this is a nice toned down version for earlier in the day. That said, I find this one to be the least realized of the C&D Burley Flakes. The other three seemed more unique somehow and contained a greater depth of flavor. Still, this is a worthy blend to sample if you like your blends heavy on the burley and light on the latakia and sweetness.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Having built a tolerance for nicotene, this stuff is absolutely delicious. After 30 minutes of drying, it lights and smokes easily. The burley is rich and meaty tasting with the right amount of virginia in the background adding some pleasant sweetness. I don't detect the Latakia but that's probably because my usual smokes are Latakia rich Balkans.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Quite disappointing, I've enjoyed cheaper burleys more than this blend. It's just rough, plain and simple. Did not expect this from such a recognized company.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (18)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I tried this at the factory and had to bring some home. After several bowls I am convinced that this is as close to an orgasmic smoke as I've ever had!!

A touch of sweetness, good strong burley flavor with just a slight tinge of latakia. The first bowl is good, the second even better. For you married guys, don't light up before going to bed or the wife might not still be awake 'cause you won't want to stop until you have finished the bowl.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Of C&D's four burley flakes, #4 is the only one containing latakia (two others contain small quantities of perique). As the name suggests, this blend is all about the burlies. The latakia is used in such limited quantities that it's barely detectable, as is the Virginia leaf, and there is precious little natural sweetness in the burlies used here. The result is a somewhat bitter, muted blend that produces far less flavor than its components would indicate. Even loaded into an extra large IMP meer, this blend didn't really develop until the final third, when it began to remind me of a toned-down version of Morley's Best. Unlike the other three blends in this series, there is little nicotine in this one.

As much as I love burlies, this one simply doesn't ring my bell, which is disappointing -- I had been looking forward to it, as I have a serious soft spot for American-English mixtures. But there's not enough sweetness, latakia, or nicotine to make it worth my while. On the plus side, the flakes are nice to look at but require some drying time before lighting up if you don't want to have numerous relights.

BITEMYTONGUE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BITEMYTONGUE (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

CORNELL & DIEHL HAS DONE OT AGAIN.IF I COULD GIVE IT 10 STARS I WOULD.FIRST OF ALL THIS IS A BURLEY BLEND THAT WILL NOT BITE IF YOU EVEN PUSHED IT.THE MARRIAGE OF LATAKIA WITH RED VIRGINIA COMES THROUGH PERFECTLY.THIS IS DEFINATELY AN ALL DAY SMOKE WITH THE BEST OF BURLEYS USED.ANOTHER CLASS ACT FROM C & D