A fan of the old Bengal slices? Then this is a must try for you! Virginia and Cavendish tobaccos are blended with the finest Latakia available and topped with a unique floral scent that makes this tobacco true (or at least as true as we can make it) to the soapy original.

BrandPark-Lane Tobacconist
Contents Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Flavoring Other / Misc
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Full

3.2
puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I have just recently began exploring Park Lane tobaccos with a half a dozen or so in my maiden order. Bengal is a beautiful dark rough cut tobacco with an inviting floral aroma and I do agree with the folks at PL that the original did have a somewhat floral scent, though the point certainly could be debated by those who wish to do so. I wish to say it tastes better (IMHO)! It has a rich full taste in the mouth without ever biting and the "top" note flavoring remains throughout the entire smoke. This flavoring is quite pleasant to my tastes and never becomes annoying.

This is a first rate tobacco made with premium leaf and if my four ounces ends the way it has begun it will make my list of must haves.

Pipe Used: Large Poker

Age When Smoked: Immediately after it arrived!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Excellent, smoky, and rich. But slightly unbalanced. Just a tiny bit harsh at times, a quality that could well diminish with age. If so, it will earn its fourth star. Right now I prefer Lancer's Slices.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was able to make a side by side comparison to Bengal Slices as I had one tin left from the 1990's. I don't know if earlier versions of BS had a Lakeland scent as the folks at Park Lane claim, but my tin did not. But with that said, as a lover of Lakeland scented tobaccos I would disagree with the other review that there is a strong soapy taste to this blend. There is a light Lakeland scent to the pouch, but only a tiny amount carries over to the Blend. As pointed out, the baccy is mainly dark and the number of tan flakes could be counted. The flake is very broken, at least in the 4 ounces I smoked. The moisture level is perfect and Park Lane Bengal greets one with deep flavor. I prefer this to the original Bengal Slices. Yup, I said it, I think this, while paying tribute to the original BS, is a better blend. Deeper, and more complex. Recommended!

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This is a stout blend of Latakia with bits of VA and Cavendish that like to say words edgewise. In the sample that I"ve been slowly going through, I can count the number of VA 'flakelets' in the baggie. Either way, this is a nice mixture of the broken flake variety, and while I don't notice any floral over/undertones the smoky leathery taste of the latakia reigns supreme, and sometimes little bits of sweetness get words in edgewise.

I recommend this blend as a stout Latakia blend, and having not somked the original Bengal Slices I can only imagine what sort of epicness that the former contained.

Dunc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dunc (9)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This excellent blend from Paul Bonacquisti is a true triumphant blend! I give this a resounding 10/10, I would give it 11/10 if possible!! This is my desert island tobacco!! The room note for me is always measured by she-who-must-be-obeyed and her opinion is this tobacco smells devine!! A win/win situation for me!! I would say this blend reminds me of tobacco long since forgotten. The quality of the blend shines through from first light to the end light ash. It burns slowly, coolly and is an excellent blend for experienced lovers of true English blends!! Oh!! Did I mention? I love this stuff!!!!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Well I guess I'll be the first one to review this blend, the description of the blend is pretty much dead on, if you are a fan of gawith latakia blends this one will make a strong move into your rotation, the soapy taste that everyone describes when it comes to this kind of blend is more floral may be roses? unfortunately this one did not do anything for me the virginias are barely noticeable, the cavendish seems to overwhelmed most of it the latakia presence is in the forefront along with the floral taste, niccotine is barely noticeable, now take this review with a hint of salt since I've never had the pleasure of smoking the original bengal slice and I'm mostly a burley and virginia/perique or virginia oriental smoker.

would i buy this again without a doubt, NO!. Just too boring for me.