A combination of Virginia ribbon, Brown Virginia, Burley and Perique.

Notes: Reminiscent of old original Three Nuns, in Ribbon version.

Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

A tasty blend. Virginias and Burley pretty well balanced and the Perique applied with a light touch. Medium body and taste. A nice any time of day smoke.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

I am not basing this comparison on any recollection of Three Nuns or having tasted the current version. I expected to like this tobacco from the description, and I was not disappointed.

This is a wonderful Virginia forward VaBur with perique used as a condiment and not the main attraction. I found it to be about the right moisture content from the bag. It burns well and smoked cool for me.

I think when blends burn hot for me, it is because I am sucking on it too hard trying to get some flavor out. This one was very tasty - a slight Va sweetness with just enough spiciness and burley fullness to keep it interesting and push it from a 3 to a 4. For my palate, this is a great balanced flavor, and a very good smoke.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

As a Three Nuns aficionado, I can say that this blend tastes nothing like the older tinned version of Three Nuns or the current tinned version either. Don't buy it thinking that it will or you will be disappointed. You should buy this because of its own merits, which are many.

This has just enough spice to notice, but not enough to control the flavor, which is what I was wanting from this smoke. The sweetness of the Virginias is understated and enjoyable, lightly dominating the burley. The burley is very tasty and perfectly balances the Virginias. Slightly nutty with a light brown sugar taste, and a little earthy. It comes a bit dry in bulk, so you may prefer to moisten it just a little or it may burn a little hot if you're a fast puffer. Once moistened, I find it to be an even burning smoke all the way to the bottom - no dottle. It's not complex, but you will taste all the flavors; a nice marriage of components it is. I can smoke this all day if I choose.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I think that this is one those tobaccos that it's easy to overlook. I suspect that's partly because of whole “clone” or “copy” identity that the stuff has. It seems to suggest second rate from the git-go. Can a clone ever be as good as the original? Aren't copies subject to degradation? So this stuff isn't Three Nuns. From what I understand, even Three Nuns isn't Three Nuns anymore. Never having smoked Three Nuns (in any of its successive iterations), this little fact doesn't faze me a whole lot.

On its own, I find Three Friars to be a wonderful smoke. It probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense to call this a Burley-based VaPer, but that's really what it is. It has some things in common with familiar VaPers like Escudo, Dunbar, Cumberland…even Haddo's. All of these share (though intensity levels vary, as do toppings) the standard VaPer nose of dried fruits (primarily fig and date), tomato leaf, dried hay, and caramel. Where 3 Friars wanders off on its own path is with the addition of a quantity of good quality Burley. This has the effect of muting the familiar VaPer qualities on the nose, and reducing some of the sweetness associated with straight Virginias and VaPers.

The muting of the nose and the reduction of the sweetness will no doubt be unwelcome to plenty of regular VaPer smokers. However, those with a fondness for the nicotine richness and, for lack of a better word, “dry” qualities of Burley (me, for example), may well prefer 3 Friars to the more familiar VaPers. I'm fond of both the familiar VaPers and 3 Friars. What I find, however, is that if I'm on a pipe-smoking binge, I'm better able to smoke successive bowls of 3 Friars than a sweeter VaPer. If I'm glued to my desk working on a project from home with a pipe stuffed in my jaw for hours on end, 3 Friars is great. If I'm just enjoying a pipe in leisure, I'm more likely to opt for the greater depth and concentration of Escudo or St. James Woods or Beacon Extra.

To my mind, 3 Friars is the OTC VaPer that the American market currently lacks. It ought to be produced by Middleton so that it can enjoy the simultaneously wide-scale and down-scale distribution of Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or Sir Walter Raleigh. In bulk, it's actually a shade less expensive than a typical OTC tub. And it shares the easy-to-light, easy-to-pack, easy-to-smoke qualities of the OTCs. For all-day smokers—especially those on a budget—I'd be inclined to recommend this highly. Less prolific puffers may well find something to like here, too.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

There is nothing as cagey as gustatory memories: as ephemeral as a ballerina's pirouette, and not liable to being filmed, either...The very strong tobaccos that I enjoyed as a younger man I no longer enjoy as much, and have stopped using many of the large pipes that I favoured then. A Charatan full of THREE NUNS was a peak experience of the popinjay and coxcomb I once was...but my taste buds, like my temples, have become grayer. Nothing and nobody tastes as wonderful as it once did.

This hommage to the beloved old blend does pretty well, as far as my fading brain cells will allow me to be certain. The old Nuns probably had some burley in it too, and C & D has handled the Périque?top quality?very adeptly. I will certainly keep some of this around, gladly. And the ribbon-cut makes it easier to use, particularly in a smaller pipe. If only this was available in an elegant tin.

This is no Three Nuns!!!!!

Now that we have that out of the way (again), this blend screams for a 2.5 star rating within the TR system. This is mostly because sometimes when I smoked it, it was something I'd recommend to anyone, and other times I'd have to condition that recommendation. Few tobaccos I've smoked were as much of a changeling bowl to bowl as this one. I'm not sure what that means.

I'm a huge fan of Three Nuns and burley. That said, I think I would have left the burley out of this one or changed it 'round somehow. At its worst, it drowns out the perique and virginia and at its best, it's a bit of a question mark as to need. Even so, I found this to be a pleasant smoke, with a breath of perique spice to go with the VA sweetness. The burley gives it body - whether I liked it or not. Definitely something to try if you like complex tobaccos, as this one writes the book on it! I'd call it a successful tobacco, even though I'm not sure where it fits in to my rotation, if anywhere.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

I will keep this short since so many others have reviewed this blend. As a lover of VaPers I have to say that I feel the Burley addition to this blend ruins it. It drowns out the sweetness of the Virginias and also the spiciness of the Perique. It turns it into a bland blend. No surprises here.

tony_coronado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tony_coronado (3)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

The description says simply "A combination of Virginia ribbon, Brown Virginia burley and Perique." It is my understanding that this blend was created with the legendary "Three Nuns" in mind.

Pouch aroma: Grassy, nutty scent that is more akin to peanuts than cashew or walnut.

Composition: Mostly light brown and blonde (nearly white) flecks of short-cut ribbon. There only seems to be a 5-10% composition of dark ribbon, which I will attribute to the perique.

Taste: I chose an Ashton XX-sized prince that has only seen VA/Perique as the initial bowl. Flame hits weed and my pallette is very happy. Vegetal sweetness from the VA's are the first taste, the perique does not really announce itself, but it would be apparent if this condiment was missing. I can not help myself but to compare it to the best bowls of Three Nuns that I have experienced. There is little if any bite from this blend, the moisture content is spot on. After the Virginia sweetness subsides, a rich, cigar-like body tickles the nose and begs to be rolled about on your tongue. The Virginia's were complex and sweet, it was only towards the end of the bowl did some considerable strength build up that forced me to slow down. For some people, this gathering of strength is the best part. :) The finish was clean with no gurgling and a fine, fluffy ash is the end result.

I do not care for a large portion of perique (but many of C&D's blends cater to those who differ from my preference), but the balance in this blend is just right. Given that most C&D blends are created "on the spot" I can not wait to see how this tobacco improves with some age to it. Whether or not this blend compares to Three Nuns is irrelevant, it stands well on its' own as a fine Virginia-Perique blend.

A solid nine out of ten stars for this masterpiece.

wayno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wayno (5)

3 Friars is a neat looking tobacco, lots of light colored leaf mixed with cocoa brown and black. The tobacco fills the pipe easily, small bowls may have a harder time with the wide ribbons but it will work. Easy to light, and easy to keep lite. It tingles your tongue at first, and you think oh boy hold on. But all of sudden you get a sweet and pleasent taste and the pepper stands back and almost goes away. Then mid bowl it comes back and mingles with the sweetness which I really liked. You get plenty of smoke to watch curl away and give you that satisfying feeling. Smokes right down to the bottom of the bowl, and leaves a nice dry ash. I have decided to add this one to my regular smoke list and will see how it ages with time. Its going to be a good every day smoke. No Buzz either, just enough of nic to soften your day without putting you away.

cloudconnect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cloudconnect (10)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Overwhelming Strong

I wanted to like this tobacco, but just didn't. I found it dry, characterless, and as though I was smoking second-hand ash. I finally tried cutting it with approximately 1/3 black Cavendish and found it wonderful, however. If anyone can recommend this type of blend off the shelf without my mixing it, that would be great.

Not necessarily faulting Cornell and Diehl on this one, but I do have to wonder why on earth they need so many blends. It just becomes confusing and a turn-off after, say, 30-50 blends. What's the point to confusing the consumer to this extent? Focus on quality, especially if I received a potential bad batch?

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A pleasant, well-rounded smoke with mild-tasting virginias in the forefront. Even sipping slowly in a tall bowl, it does burn a little on the fast side.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)

This is the Virginia-laden brother to Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz, in my opinion. The Virginia is at the front in this blend, whereas it is in the background of the aforementioned blends. Not at all unpleasant, assuming you enjoy Virginias. The perique and burleys barely take the stage here, and when they do, they serve to round out what is otherwise a straightforward and fairly linear smoke.

Nutty, slightly sweet, medium/strong "N". However, best smoked at a sip where it's hard to keep lit, otherwise gets spicy hot. Very one dimensional, would love this as an all day smoke if only it didn't need so much attention. May be better as a blender.

Updated 1/12/2012- After some aging and drying the problems with keeping this lit has been solved, I acually like this as a change of pace, much smoother than OJK in the straight VaPerBur's, 4 Noggins "Weybridge" is more interesting with a little whiskey topping . Good "on the go" blend

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

Smoking a bowl of this right now as I type. Very spicy on the palate and in the nose. Not tongue bite, but spice. The room note is pleasant, but seems a bit "dry". Lighting and packing took a few rounds, due to the springiness of this type of cut, but once the fire was established, it has been maintenance free. Ash appears to be fluffy and gray, a good sign it is clean underneath. No dampness in the bottom of the bowl.

I do not see this being an all day blend, I think that spice could hold this down to a few bowls a week.

Pairing it with a Kenya AA coffee right now.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)

Strongirish says it all in his review.

Very reminiscent of Frency's Sunzabithces. But this one has better manners and doesn't cross the line into harsh like Frenchy's likes to do some times.

If you smoke any OTC codger burley you just have to try this. It's loads better than the PAs and Cartehalls of th world (I like those blends too). And guess what? It's cheaper!

C&D quality. The most welcoming great tasting blend I've smoked in recent memory. Just a really fine smoke.

I'm starting to really appreciate C&D VAs along with their burley. Sure McClelland has that nice sweet round stoved red VA in many of their blends. But this light colored chunky C&D VA that I keep running into is really good stuff too. Pardon the food reference but it's somehow sort of like fresh baked biscuits with molasses or something.

I think this one would be rated much better, but for the whole 3 Nuns thing.

Forget this has a 3 in the name and buy some. I think you'll love it for what it is. I do.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was sent a baggie full of this by a forum buddy to try. I find it to be a very interesting and unusual blend. First off, it has a very parculiar pouch smell to it, kinda tart but with a little of the old fashioned dark straight cane syrup of my youth aroma about it. Hard to describe but very different. The tobacco is a very rough cut running from khaki colored to medium brown. Being C and D, it arrived to me in the perfect moisture content, no stickiness and was very easy to pack and light up. Upon lighting up, it emitted a very creamy strong flavor of burley with a touch of sweetness and the spiciness of the perique. Though nowhere near as strong or loaded with perique as Frenchy's SunzaBitches, that is what I thought of when I lit this. Smoking the first half of the bowl, the burley and perique dominate and it is a touch harsh tasting but still very smokable. With light puffing, one can taste a touch of the VA sweetness but with anything other than light, it is very spicy and can bite you a little. But, at the half way mark, look out, the VA takes control and it becomes a spicy sweet smoke that just gets better and better down to the bottom of the bowl. I really enjoy the second half of this one, if it all tasted this good, this would be a regular for me. The room note is pleasant, not great but not bad or harsh. It burns clean, down to a grey ash with no moisture at all it the bottom, in fact i hardly pick up anything running a pipe cleaner through a pipe of this just smoked. I find it smokes much smoother in a large bowled pipe versus a smaller one. I would recommend trying this as it's an experience all to itself. I don't give it four stars because of the first half of the smoke, but a solid 31/2 for sure.

12/14/2011 Update. I don't usually update my reviews, but I feel i have to upgrade my rating on this one to a four star review. The reason is I find that everytime I open a tin of this blend, I find myself not smoking anthying else until the said tin is comepletely gone! This blend is very addictive in a good way, i find i just love the stuff especially during the colder months. I really think this blend offers enough that all should experience it. This blend is gradually becoming one of my regular blends and is for sure in my top ten blends that I keep in my rotation now.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)

This blend is, as other reviewers noted, sort of a stepped-down version of Cornell & Diehl's Old Joe Krantz. A good blend with occasional hints of Virginia sweetness, this tobacco will likely please many VaPer fans especially those that appreciate the fullness that the added burley provides.

Govern yourself accordingly

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I am giving this a 4 star rating because this blend gives you a great virginia/perique smoke without all the usual prepwork that other "higher quality" vaper flakes require. Coming in pretty small pieces is its only negitive with me; smaller than ribbon, shag like. I have no need to dry this blend due to, like most C&D tobaccos; especially bulk, it comes rather dry. Friars smokes sweet with a nice light perique pepper background. Mid-bowl the sweetness subsides to a nice grassy flavor that a virginia lover would recognize. Grassy is not right, but close. Perique has a tendency to sour in vapers at the bottom of a bowl. Not so with this blend. Friars is not that heavy in nicotine and is light on the palette. It makes for a great all day smoke, if it doesn't get to sweet for you. Pound after pound, this never lets me down.

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)

This as good as a blend can get IMO. Perfect strength. Excellent burning properties. Wonderful taste from start to finish. Seems like it gets better over time. Cellar some away for 6 to 12 months and what you got is nothing short of magical. Can't say enough about C&D. The best tobacco people in the world.

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)

I would echo the sentiment of MysticRune...'Naturally sweet and nutty with...[an indistinguishable] hint of spice best describes Three Friars.'

In my 4oz offering, I too have an aesthetically pleasing mixture consisting of light golden and cocoa brown...but, no ‘black leaf' that he mentions.

The processing involved in order to make Perique creates a black tobacco...and...I have no black leaf in my mixture...none. So it makes some sense, that I, like DoctorThoss, ‘...didn't taste much in the way of [P]erique.' Nonetheless...I, like the Dr., found Three Friars to be naturally sweet and creamy to my palate as well.

Highly recommended.

A companion infusion: as with other Virginia/Burley blends...a couple of pints of Newcastle Brown Ale.

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is billed as being similar to the now long gone but not forgotten Bell's Three Nuns. The only similarity here is the "Three" in the name. I smoked the original Three Nuns for years and Three Friars is no Three Nuns. At first I was very disapointed. Once I got over the fact that there will never be another Three Nuns and gave Three Friars a fair shake, I found it to be a very good VA Burley blend. This is recomended as a clean refreshing smoke. It is NOT anything like Three Nuns. If you like the taste of this tobacco but want a lttle more flavor (natural not cased), try G.L. Pease Cumberland as I find them quite similar. Three Friars could be considered a Cumberland light.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I tried this blend because it was in a sample I received in a box pass. The blend is mostly tan leafs with a few mocha looking brown leafs mixed in. The slightly sweet and somewhat tangy blend is exactly what you would expect out of a VaPer blend. The creamy Virginia tobacco is decadent and smokes very cool with the help of the burly. The Perique is minimal but seems to add just enough tang and sourness to make thing interesting. This is a no fuss blend that really compliments reading or any other activity that requires attention. This VaPer will not bite you if you get carried away!

Thanks to Laudante, my fellow reviewer and friend, I managed to get an 8 Oz. tin of Three Friars (among other smokeable goodies). So far, I?ve smoked around five bowls, and I certainly intend to smoke much more!

Maybe I should start by stating the obvious: this is an excellent tobacco. In fact, I find it scrumptious. It has all the piquant-sour-sweetness of most Virginia/Perique blends, plus the added Burley that provides temperance to the fiery nature of the other two components, as well as an earthy smoothness to the whole construction, rounding up its flavour nicely.

I was surprised to find the blend rather moist (which, in my experience, is unusual for a C&D tobacco), but that didn?t interfere with its excellent slow burning rate, nor did I find it difficult to light and keep lit. By no means a cool smoke, it never really got uncomfortably hot, nor did it bite.

Medium strength, with quite some nicotine, the different layers of flavour gradually developed throughout a smoke that was never boring, nor overwhelming. Though pretty well balanced, I ?m under the impression that the Perique is more pronounced than the Virginias or the Burley.

As to the inevitable comparison to its female counterpart (the bygone Three Nuns, as spun and blended by Bell?s, which I did manage to smoke in the late 70?s and early 80?s), I find there are more differences than similarities.

True, the Virginia-Perique relation is common to both. Then again, the Nuns never invited King Burley to their sorority, nor did they allow themselves, as befits their religiousness, to be rubbed up to the point of becoming ?lose?. In this context, it?s not only the Burley leaf what gives Three Friars its ?manliness?, but also a more abundant and stronger variety of Perique, and the general flavour of the blend seems to me stouter, with a density and depth that I never really found in the Nuns (as good as it used to be). It is also a more pungent blend than the Nuns!

In my opinion, this blend shares the same flavour-region as the Nuns and Escudo. It is definitely not as sweet and ?juicy? as Dorchester or Astley?s Nº2, and though slightly less powerful than Escudo, it seems to me closer to the latter than to the Nuns. If you enjoy Virginia/Perique blends, this is a must.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

This is a very good offering for everyday smokers of Va/per. As other C&D blends it comes a little dry, but I find that it smokes just as well dry, as hydrated. It has an interesting taste as the perique weaves in and out of the smoking experience and becomes significantly more noticeable at the bottom of the bowl. This one doesn't knock your socks off, but it is an excellent and relatively inexpensive choice for the dedicated Va/per smoker

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)

yes yes, I am in line with most reviews here, except I never tried Three Nuns and probably won't. This is somewhere in between Night Train and Old Joe Krantz for me, all three containing varying degrees of Virginias, Burleys, and Perique. This one, a little heavier on the Virginias than OJK but with less Perique than the Night Train, is really pretty excellent in my opinion. Easy to load, smoke, and without the more bitter flavors of the OJK which I love as well, with just a small amount of Perique for interest. Hey, it holds my attention. I think I might get some more, but there are so many other C&D blends I should probably try. I'm sure my favorite is still to come, and if not, I'll just come back to one of them that is as close as it gets for me.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)

This is a very smooth, tangy, and satisfying blend. I didn't taste much in the way of perique, but the Va and burley were excellent. It burned well and it didn't seem to bite as long as it was smoked slowly. It's not something I think I'll buy again, but not because there's anything wrong with it. It struck me as being a nice blend, just not spectacular.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Not being a fan of C & D, I went into this by the legend of Three Nuns and the great price. This is really a bargain at twice the price and should be tried. All flavors are mild, nothing stands out or dominates, the last 3/3 of the bowl become very ashy and ciggarette like so I usually stop on the 2/3rds. But initial flavors are quality and perfect for an all day smoke that wont BBQ your mouth.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

Nice play between the tobacco's in this one. For my taste buds mostly good quality Burley. Packs a decent nicotine punch. Burns well, didn't bite (and I can puff like a freight train sometimes)and was basically a cool smoke. Picks up some strength about one third into the bowl and finishes fairly strong but pleasing to the palate. For quality leaf at a fair price you just can't beat C&D.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I have to agree with Moe on this blend. It is simply a great blend. It is also a great value. It is a shame that some knuckleheads have to post "edited" reviews that bring the rating of this blend down below what it richly deserves.

Just enough Perique for a fair nosebite and just enough brown burley to keep the virginias from biting. This is a a very well balanced blend

This is one of my favorite C&D tobaccos. I used it to break in a "new" 30 year old Castello KKKK and it was excellent. It really shines in a CAO Meerschaum as well.

It is an all day smoke if one is so inclined and it has just enough tin moisture to last for months from a 8 Oz. tin.

Yes, there are other good tobaccos besides Christmas Cheer 2005 and 2006

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great tobacco in my view. It has enough nicotine to satisfy the nic addicts, and not overpowering to the lightweights. It doesnt burn the tongue, and can be smoked all day (i do). It has a little perique spice, and quality burley.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Three Friars.22/03/07. I like Three Friars,it's nothing like Bell's,Original,Three Nun's.And definitely nothing like my other true love blend,Escudo Navy De Luxe. But,let's be very fair here with Three Friars.It light's up very easy,taste's good and smoke's extremely well.It doesn't bite and show's no sign of bitterness and leaves a reasonably dry grey ash."YES" I enjoyed it,even if it is different. In it's own right. "Highly recommended"

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)

Naturally sweet and nutty with just a hint of spice best describes Three Friars. An aesthetically pleasing mixture consisting of light golden, cocoa brown and black leaf. The Light Virginia is naturally sweet and creamy to my palate. The brown Virginia Burley has a subtle nuttiness providing body and the Perique compliments both adding a perfect richness of aroma and flavor. The cut affords easy loading and cool burning down to a dry clean ash. Nice nicotine content as well, but never overwhelming. A very consistent mixture that requires very little attention to satisfy. This is a great candidate for an all day smoke that never bores the palate.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is another fine "English Type" blend from C&D. The combination of the VA, Burley & Perique provides very pleasant,but not overpowering flavor. The VA is naturally sweet, the burley is nut like, and the perique provides enought spice to compliment the sweetness of the VA.

The ribbon cut provides easy loading and cool burning. Burns very cool and down to a fine ash. No tongue bit at all. The price is very economical, especially from Smoking Pipes.

Hight Recommended

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

I agree with Pipestud on this one. I'll add that I find it similar to Briar Fox in the Virginia department. (Big Surprise) And, at half the price, 3 Friar's perique isn't the only thing that tickles.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

If you like straight-up tobacco with in-your-face perique, like me, then this is a great tobacco for you. The blend reminds me of GL Pease's Tribute somewhat; a no nonsense perique sensation. Flavors like fresh bread, pepper, mild cashews, hints of citrus. Good stuff, especially in a cob whilst working in the sun. I don't find it tastes the same as Bayou Morning which has a bit of a sharper and earthier flavor. However, similar tobaccos include Stratford, Tribute, Cumberland, Yorktown, and AJ's Vaper.

aj

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been told that this is supposed to be similar to the original Three Nuns. Well, if so I now know why everyone loved the original. This is wonderful stuff! As usual, C&D only uses the best quality leaf, so I was immediately impressed with this when I recieved a generous sample along with a recent order I placed with C&D. I have been smoking this out of a vintage Churchwarden, and I cannot say enough good things about this blend. In my opinion, it is rich and mild all at the same time. A wonderful flavor, no tonguebite, burns very cool all the way down the bowl. Not too strong in the Nicotine Department IMHO, either.Very pleasant room note...My partner says it smells like burning leaves in the room. Anyone wanting a smooth, relaxing smoke, this tobacco is the one. I will be ordering an 8 ounce tin with my next order. HIGHLY recommended!!! It is a shame I cannot give this a 5 star rating!

Le Fumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le Fumeur (10)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is a lovely tobacco. The Virginias are naturally sweet, creamy, thick, and lucious. The Perrique is not overpowering, and in fact adds just enough of a spice to the sweetness to make it a complex and medium-bodied flavor. In the jar, there is a distinct Raisin Bran smell, which you cannot taste when smoking. The taste when smoking is sweet, honey, nicotine, with just the slightest hint of a flavor that I cannot describe, but that I compare to the flavor of Early Morning Pipe. The overall impression is luxury, smoothness, calm, sweetness, and relaxation. I would recommend this tobacco after dinner, before bed (I am about to go smoke a bowl of it then go to bed!), or anytime that you want to relax. But don't get me wrong: it is medium-bodied and not overly mild! There is enough body and flavor to enjoy and to seek out the various components of the complexity, but not an extremely powerful, English- or Perrique- like boldness that is good for other purposes. Overall, I think every pipe smoker should try this. It has just enough natural sweetness to appeal to aromatic smokers, yet enough body, complexity, seriousness, and quality to please burley smokers like me. Try it! You will not be disappointed! And Cornell & Diehl's prices are very, very good. It was less than ten dollars for an 8oz jar, which is alot of tobacco!

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Ahhhh...One of my favorites. This is one of my desert island blends. Morning with coffee, Lunch, After work...Anytime!!!! Virginia, Brown burley- They make a Wonderful nutty sweet base- Then the perique comes if for some spice. Not too much, But enough to offset the other two. From start to finish, Its the same. It may smooth out toward the bottom- But the taste is GREAT!!!, Nicotine is there, but not overpowering. If its too dry, I throw a humidor disk in a sealed container. The virginias blossom at the right humidity. If it seems a little bitter, add some moisture, and it goes away. Try it- you'll love it!!!!! According to Mr. Tarler- This is not a clone of three nuns. Being catholic, I'd rather not smoke a nun anyway..:)

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

Three Friars does seem to bear a similarity to Bayou Morning, but the addition of burley adds complexity without flavor confusion. It still has a flavor primarily of Virginia, less sweet, not as fruity. It also smokes a bit damp, but that may improve if dried a bit; my sample was quite moist for a C&D tobacco.

The problem I have with these C&D blends and the slight variations among them, is that none seem to stand out as 4-star hits. They compete among themselves. With that in mind, I would enthusiastically give Three Friars three stars.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I have heard it said more than once that Three Friars is a replacement for Three Nuns. I don't see how anyone can think this. While both blends contain Va and Perique, that's where the similarity ends. Friars has Burley, and is therefore a completely different blend. Three Friars is a good enough blend to stand on its own, it doesn't need some contrived connection to a legendary blend to make it work.

The mixture is very well balanced, the Va's delicate sweetness is nicely offset by the Burley, while being supported by the Perique.

If you like Perique, but don't like it when the Louisiana leasf steals the show, this could be for you.

Another fine effort from C&D.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A lightly sweetened Virginia/Burley with a dash of Perique. And yippee, nicotine!!!!!

If you like your Virginia without a grassy taste, if you like your Burley to be Grade A+, and if you like top-shelf, Louisiana grown (the real deal) Perique, then you're gonna love Three Friars.

The blend does stink in the tin, but at the match it smells good enough to keep you from being thrown outside with the dogs.

anixi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anixi (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Nice stuff!! I give it 4 stars First third was ok, had a little warm up. I noticed not much sweetness or tongue bite. The taste was a little sweet but nothing spectacular. Second third: Taste came in very well, one pipe cleaner was necessary, no re-lights and not much nicotine hit. Really nice flavor, a little sweet, the room note was VERY good, nutty almost. A little hint of spicy/tangy feeling in the roof of the mouth. Last third: Very spicy. This stuff was complex (noob speaking here) to me! I think this just might be the holy grail for me. No accounting for experience and taste but I really liked the finish. No second pipe cleaner necessary, a couple of relights and it really worked well down there at the bottom. The taste started to get "menthol-like" and I liked it. The room notes got more complex and it was very very nice.

Found very little grease at the bottom, nothing like most blends, less than some english I've had recently. No gurgle at all, a dry, warm smoke. Smoke generation throughout was very good.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

I don't have any problem with this. It's a good smoke..you can taste the Perique, and it billows with great fun. My only concern is that--to me--it tastes exactly like 067 Bayou Morning, also by C&D. If I were given a blind taste test, I would be unable to tell the difference.

The site that I bought this from described it as a Three Nuns clone; although this is a ribbon cut, unlike Three Nuns, which I believe is curly cut.

I can't compare the two regarding taste, as I have had a hard time coming across Three Nuns in Southern California..but I would definitely recommend it as a good, solid Vaper. Just a step below Escudo's in my opinion--in preference, not similarity.

This is a light ribbon type tobacco that is a bit on the moist side for proper smoking. I have not been overly impressed thus far so I may follow Paddy's advice and try some forced aging. I didn't find it especially strong either as some reviewers have noted. I will update this review after the experiment is completed.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

09/17/2004: A pleasant smoke with a solid nicotine hit. The flavors are subtle and best enjoyed slowly. The tobacco arrived a little on the dry side and needs a little aging, typical of C&D products. I don't find much similarity to Three Nuns, but nevertheless a quality blend.

The burley plays well with the sweeter Virginias and the perique effect is minimal, only providing a certain richness to the Virginias. The sweetness builds later in the bowl, but is never cloying.

04/29/2010: A buddy sent me a jar of Three Friars that is over 11 years old. The flavors jump out of the bowl and hit you over the head. Any subtlety I mentioned in 2004 is all gone. Uber-sweet, but the burley keeps it grounded and the perique gives it a strong, dried fruit flavor that is rich and delicious. What an experience. I don't remember doing anything good enough to deserve this. It's too good to keep to myself, so if a couple of you fellas want to come over one Saturday morning and have a couple of bowls and some coffee I'd be up for it. Atlanta, Georgia scfowler1958@yahoo.com

No, in spite of the name it's not a 3 Nuns clone... but it's great stuff in its own respect! I have never seen such a bright, lemon-colored Virginia: it's like hay, but even lighter in color! I'm usually not a fan of lemony bright Virginias (I prefer the sweeter red variety), but this is as good as they can get: lively, spicy, lemony, with just a nice touch of sugariness. I guess that the burley provides some extra body which is usually absent from most of VA+Perique mixtures: it's not clearly noticeable, but it's there. The taste stays consistent, like lemonade, until the bottom of the bowl even if you puff too fast, and never grows tiresome. Just be careful not to press the tobacco too much when packing, because the long ribbon cut can clog the airhole spoiling the experience and causing tonguebite.

It's actually VERY similar to Straford (no surprise, considering the friendship between Greg Pease and Craig Tarler), but I think that Three Friars is the best of the two: tastier, more consistent and cheaper!

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Update 16/07/04 This has become one of my favorite blends. There is a consistency, comfort and warmth here that I haven't found in any other smoke. When I feel like something "homey" yet with some kick and personality, Three Friars is it.

-----

Having never tried Three Nuns, I can rate this tobacco without comparision.

So far I've discovered tastes reminiscient of toasted filberts, a vague sweetness, earthy grassiness, and of course the peppery nip of perique.

The smoke is generally smooth with a bit of heat/harshness only if you are very careless or allow excessive moisture to build in the stem.

The fullness and body provided by the Burley, the sweetness of the VA and very subtle topping (which I only think is sometimes there), balanced by Perique has made this blend creep towards the top end of my favorites. I've smoked quite a bit of Three Friars recently in various bowls - encountering a substantial variation in flavor and nuance. I never thought I'd get into burley heavy blends, but C+D does this well enough to warrant the niche they've carved out. I agree that this compliments Bayou Morning exceptionally well (with Three Friars being my evening/afternoon blend). These two blends could probably make up my Perique mainstay.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

I like this tobacco a lot. It is a lightly sweetened Virginia/burly with a nice touch of Perique. I do not get a distinctive burly taste from this tobacco. This is especially good on the front end as you initially taste the smoke, lightly sweet tobacco and tangy. Smooth with no bite. This tobacco burns nice and slow. The only negative is that for me it is a bit bitter in the aftertaste which is not a problem with a lot of tobaccos, but with this tobacco it does not seem to harmonize with the initial front end taste. This aspect of the smoke is a bit distracting, but not, I think, a serious impediment to enjoying it. A cup of coffee at hand complements the bitterness and refreshes the palate for another sip of smoke from this fine tobacco. Highly recommended. Paddy. __________________________________________________ 10/18/03 I have been a bit too harsh on this tobacco. With aging this tobacco becomes exquisitely tasty. Place it in a sealed jar in a sunny window and let the tobaccos marry. C&D Perique/Va. par excellance, except for, perhaps, Bayou Morning.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Don't look for a Three Nuns clone here. This is very tasty stuff, with satisfying strength without being overpowering. The flavor is solidly in the middle range, with a decent amount of bottom range activity. Not especially complex, but delightful in its straightfowardness.

prestonmarkstone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prestonmarkstone (3)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Three Friars has been one of my occasional smokes for over a year now. It's a very blonde-looking blend, with alternate bright and dark ribbons and the occasional broken flake, and smells spicy sweet with a slight candied overtone. Perique clearly asserts its presence in the tin aroma. It packs and lights easily, and like most C&D blends, smokes consistently.

Upon first light, the immediate impression is one of bright spiciness; there is a peppery quality that tickles the nose and the tip of the tongue, and a slight lingering sweetness. This sweetness soon burns off, leaving a medium-bodied flavor of Virginia acutely punctuated with perique. Three Friars smokes consistently from this point, finishing cleanly and leaving a slightly coarse salt-and-pepper ash.

It is, in fact, this stalwart consistency that bothers me most. C&D blends tend towards this; there is little development after the first half of the bowl, and as a result Three Friars has something of an impoverished finish, though it isn't completely unsatisfying. Overall, Three Friars is a pleasant occasional smoke that might improve substantially with age.