A full English Mixture rich with Virginia, Latakia, Perique and exotic oriental tobaccos, designed for evening pipe smoking pleasure.

Notes: Alternative for Dunhill Nightcap. P.M. stands for "post meridiem" or after midday.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well, it's there...The creamy, smokey, peaty mustiness of the Latakia...The sweet-sour tang of the Orientals...The spicey snap of the Perique...And the subdued sweetness of the Virginias as the base...You would think 'the perfect smoke'...Not quite...There's something missing...Maybe the Virginias are a bit too subdued...Maybe the Orientals instead of supporting and gently taming the Latakia run a little roughshod...Maybe the Perique doesn't cool the smoke as much as it should...I can't put my finger on it, but it's just not...Not together the way it should be...Still and all, a good but somewhat puzzling smoke...Maybe if it were cellared for a while...

Pipe Used: various for testing

Age When Smoked: smoked fresh when received

barneco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
barneco (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Nothing particularly stellar about this blend, imho.

The Virginia is there, but it does nothing really other than serve as a backdrop for the condiments. I don't get much sweetness. Perhaps it's to nuanced for me.

The latakia is also there, but when smoked, it just comes though as a hint. Note that I'm a Lat fan and prefer a more substantial participation in my English blends.

Perique is also quite noticable. I'm finding out that I'm not a big perique fan, fwiw.

I don't get much of the other Oriental components.

Nicotine is there as well...more than I was expecting from the overall strength of the flavor.

Packs very easily and delivers a great burn. Minimal relights and fuss.

All in all a pleasant smoke, but nothing to write home about. Won't be adding this to the rotation.

kalob cayton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kalob cayton (8)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

ive never had dunhill nightcap but i found this to be alot cheaper so i gave it a try this was my first english blend and it wont be my last...........all i can pretty much taste is the smokey/saltly latakia and orientals and the perique and virgina just lingers in the back ground but its a pretty good blend

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I just have to say that this tobacco is the first of many blends I've tried to truly "smoke down to the very bottom to a fine, dry, gray ash." As I've never smoked Nightcap I can't compare the two. On it's own I will say PMP is a fine tobacco that will find it's way into my rotation. A wonderful English style blend. Kind of coats the mouth, but nothing a hot Decaf doesn't take care of.

Armond Washington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armond Washington (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a new pipe smoker-and even newer to English blends-so please bear with me as I attempt to describe what I taste. I'm very fond of P.M. Pipe. The flavor is full and very nice. I really enjoy the blend of Latakia and Virginia; the interplay between the two is quite compelling.

Perhaps this is due to inexperience, but I can't detect the Perique or Oriental, and as such, the blend seems somewhat one-dimensional. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I can see myself looking for just this simplicity at certain times. In my limited experience, however, this is not a particularly complex blend, and would be more ideal for an evening of conversation than an evening of contemplation. I'll probably keep some of this on hand for those evenings when I want a lot of flavor without having to pay attention.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

To me, a Nightcap is that final push over the edge, the last shot from a good night of drinking, it's one more cup of coffee, or that extra helping at dinner you should have probably avoided--it's crossing that line of moderation, just enough to know for certain that you're done.

So, in my opinion, if you plan to pay Nightcap tribute, you need to make your blend strong. I'm talking about nicotine, not fullness...there's a huge difference. Sure, there's more to Nightcap than the strength, but there are hundreds of English blends out there...and this factor seems to be an enduring quality often remarked of the original Dunhill. It's a defining characteristic that I miss often--a hard hitting English, preferably with a bit of Perique. I read through so many blend details and sample what seems like endless variations, yet always turn up underwhelmed. I mourn Nightcap, and didn't appreciate it much when I had the opportunity. I say that knowing some other classic blend will cease production in the near future and the sentimentality may then invoke the same emotion...such is the nature of our little sport.

PM Pipe tastes decent; there's nothing fundamentally wrong here. I'm not certain I can detect the Perique, if there is any, but it's all just very average. I expected more from McClelland, honestly. They are an excellent blending house, and I think they essentially just threw this out there to appease all the people bitching about the demise of stateside Dunhill blends.

It's difficult to make a strong English, and I say that because Latakia (the Cyprian sort) itself, while full, is not particularly heavy in nicotine--so you need to get the strength from a heavy Virginia, or some added Perique. Too much Perique, however, and you lose that English profile. I'm no blending expert, but all of this seems obvious--and if I'm wrong, please let me know. Anyhow, the strongest McClelland I've tried is 2015, which does have a noticeable Perique component, unlike PM Pipe. I suppose my point is that McClelland isn't the sort of company to make powerhouse blends, and PM Pipe is a reflection of that.

Having complained quite a bit, I admit that the one ounce sample I purchased is nearly gone...in about a week. That's relatively brisk for my pacing. I'm the type of guy that will bitch and moan about your cooking, then then go ahead and eat the whole damned platter, so yeah, understand that you may feel differently.

I hear Mr. Pease just released his own little tribute to Nightcap. For the love of God, please let it wreck my senses.