A well-rounded blend, emphasizing the chocolate flavour of Burley tobacco.

Centuries of tobacco craftsmanship go into Amphora Original blend to bring out the rich chocolately undertones of the finest burley tobaccos, balanced with Orientals, Kentucky, and Virginia leaf. The result is a smooth textured and easy burning blend of rare distinction.

BrandAmphora
Taste

felipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
felipe (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I always had troubles at figuring out what an 'all-day-smoke' tobacco was. After all, one can always smoke whatever he wants whenever it wants. Right?

True, but sometimes you don't have the time or the concentration needed for smoking virginia flakes, or you don't feel in the mood for latakia-induced meditation. Or in general you want to smoke, but you don't know what to smoke. So you linger for a minute on your stash, and you are at risk of picking your favorite blend for a mediocre smoke. Don't do it, keep always a jar of Amphora OB around for situations like this. Don't use expensive tobaccos to fight your nicotine cravings.

It's a natural cavendish (no noticeable flavoring) made from virginias, burley and kentucky, and you can taste all of them! Never monotone, it even provides some evolution during the smoke. It burns quite fast, forcing the smoker to be disciplined, but forgives you go full-steam mode for a while. Smokes great in a cob, giving good 20-minutes smokes if packed lightly.

To me, an 'all-day' tobacco is one you burn when you just want a good, satisfying bowl, but for some reason you don't feel like you want any particular tobacco. AOB is perfect for these moments.

Pipe Used: Many briars, corncob

Age When Smoked: Pouch from the shelves

Similar Blends: Skandinavik Regular, Italia.

The rich chocolate topping is obvious without overwhelming the tobaccos. The burleys have a toasted nuttiness along with earth and a little molasses, and takes a little more of the lead than the grass, earth, and citrus from the Virginia. In a support role, the Kentucky has a little smoky woodiness with a bare hint of spice. The Oriental is lightly floral with a little smoke and wood, plus a very minor sour note as it playfully lingers in the background. The strength and taste is mild to medium. Won’t bite even when puffed fast. The nic-hit ranges between mild and moderate. The tobaccos are ribbon cut with a little broken flake. The blend is subtly complex with a very cool, clean and smooth, fairly consistent flavor from start to finish. The only change in flavor I have ever noticed is that the burleys and Kentucky seem to stand out just a little more after the half way point. Has no dull or harsh spots. Requires few relights, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a nice after taste and pleasant room note. An all day smoke that is very easy on your senses.

If you give it any dry time, you will find the tobacco flavor more noticeable without totally losing the chocolate topping. I dry it, and my review reflects that experience. Fresh and moist, you will find the tobaccos are mildly sublimated by the topping as I previously noted.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (100)

This tobacco is one of the best cavendish tobacco I have never smoked. Excellent, neutral, natural tobacco. But cavendish. I don’t know if there is some chocolate added. Or something else. I know this is a real natural cavendish tobacco (to be more precise, cavendish and not black cavendish). You can smoke it straight all day long and it doesn’t cloy. You can use it in all kind of mixture to improve it or to dilute an expensive tobacco, thanks to its neutral character. In my opinion this tobacco is a non-aromatic Cavendish and in this cheap product you can find the real taste of cavendish tobacco. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8/9 and three stars.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorite allday tobacco, also very fitable in home-made mixtures. Round, fragrant, straight and natural, a little hint of cocoa in the aftertaste but not heavy artificial flavouring, it's all very soft and pleasant. The entire mixture (burley, oriental, kentucky and virginia) pass for a cavendish process. Despite that is a tobacco from the NL, the style is indubitably American; the result is a mixture between the burley American mixture and a classic and natural scottish blend, so nothing of the famous "Holland flavour like", burleys and orientals are preminent. Magnificent with some fresh added havana cigar fund. One of my secret and favourite mixture that a friend of mine call "Habanera" consist in 60 - 75% of AOB, 15 - 20% havana cigar, 10 - 20% latakia (syrian); the best % in my opinion is (70/20/10). Try it! The AOB is a good start for the beginner: for a perfect smoking requires some experience to control the lighting, the pressure in the bowl and the humidity, but if you do something wrong the result never fails you, so it's good for start practising.

Type: Burley american mixture/ scottish blend, natural medium ; Contents: Burley, Orientals, Kentucky and Virginia ; Flavoring: None particular flavoring added, only the minimal required by the cavendish process, something that remeber a chocolate aftertaste; Cut: Ribbon ; Humidity: Often high and tend to produce some humidity in the fund of the bowl during smoking, needs to be slow tasted ; Lighting: Most of the time easy, but burn slow and sometimes needs to be relighted ; Pipe recommended: Large bowls, in a Chubby is awesome, in a Corn pipe works great and in the Meerschaums give unique experiences

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

One of the all-time classic blends that is, unfortunately, now unavailable in the USA. Tubs of the Original Amphora literally flew off the shelves of drug stores and supermarkets around the country. A very tasty Burley blend with lightly flavored quality Cavendish and a touch of Virginia leaf for added flavor. This blend never bit, always packed and stayed lit well, and pleased those who enjoyed quality smokes at a bargain price.

I miss this one!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (75)

On a whim I bought a pouch of this old veteran as I live in the Netherlands and it used to be produced here by Douwe Egberts, but nowadays by Imperial Tobacco. It is very popular among Dutch pipesmokers and I can understand why: a slightly sweet, spicy, mild and well burning cavendish that never offends. Recommended.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I had a pipe smoking friend send me a note that Amphora was back on the market and promptly order the Original and Full blends. This review is for the Original, as I haven't tried the Full yet. I was motivated because I smoked a number of tins of Amphora "Regular" in college, even ordered one of their pipes with coupons back when I couldn't afford to buy nice pipes. ( As an aside, the Amphora pipes were nice briars that smoked well.)

The remake Original Blend is as I remember their Regular that came in brown tins, if memory serves me correctly. It is a mild, easy smoke, with Burley earthiness in the forefront. After it has been burning a while - perhaps mid-bowl, I began to discern more sweetness of the Virginia kicking in, along with some nice Turkish notes. The blend burned nicely, with few re-lights to the bottom of the bowl. It smoked cool in the bowl, and did not burn the mouth, no matter how hard I puffed it. A slow burning nice tobacco flavor blend.

This blend was formed into cakes and sliced into course-cut ribbons. It is predominately Burley with some lemon colored Virginia. Predominately brown in color, it has some black flakes, perhaps the Cavendish leaf. I can't pick out the Turkish, but it's there. There is a top dressing, but it is light, perhaps licorice.

If you like lighter Burley/VA/Turkish blends you will like AOB. I like it as a nice change of pace from more high powered blends and flakes.

05/13/16 I smoked a bowl of this is my ol Amphora bulldog pipe last night. Whatever, it was excellent. Some fine memories here!

Pipe Used: Dunhill Cumberland Squat Bulldog blast.

Similar Blends: McBaren's Golden Extra without the MB top dressing..

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (157)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was offered a sample by an old timer and what a pleasant surprise it was. A no fuss tobacco for an all day smoke, a Dutch Cavendish type blend that satisfies. The chocolate/cocoa taste is there in spades, never strong but adding to the Burley nuttiness. Due to the cut it burns quite fast so beware to pace yourself.

It's something to try for those who don't like aromatics but want to take a break from their favorite tobacco. With that in mind, this old school blend could easily become an unassuming, preferred smoke for many.

Pipelover59 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipelover59 (1)

This is one of those delightful quiet and understated friends that is like the neighbour you are happy to greet every once in a while to re-calibrate to the centre with a decent and light conversation.

The subtle grassy scent in the pouch quietly introduces the other components of this pleasant smoke that evolves in the bowl. Opening blush is a simple pure tobacco taste with a cocoa greeting that grows as the bowl burns down. It is gentle on the tongue, but requires a little attention as you smoke it. The meerschaum lining in my BC added a light dimension to the roundness of the obvious Virginia and Burley medley that stayed constant throughout. The grassy sweet flavours came through a little more in the end, more complementary than competitive. The room note is reminiscent of older classic tobaccos that "your uncle used to smoke", and while not something that makes you ohh and ahh, is still a welcoming scent to almost any nose.

I enjoy this tobacco to give perspective to the various English blends that I smoke and in my rotation sometimes use it as an introduction to the Dunhill 965 time of day for juxtaposition.

Quite simply, a classic old unassuming favourite that is a reliable part of a relaxed rotation that seeks a balanced mediator among the competitive interests!

Pipe Used: Butz Cho

Purchased From: Casablanca's in Toronto

tados Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tados (3)

This blend is a great all-day smoke. It is just nutty and chocolatey enough to give a kick to your bowl. The room note is great, I appreciate the sweetness of the last half-bowl. It's a tobacco I like to share with a non-smoker friend for his firsts time because here in Quebec it's the only convenient store tobacco that offers a good burley blend. (the other available tobaccos are Sail, Tycoon, Captain Black and Borkum Riff) all of these have poor reviews and I'm not interested in trying those.

The pouch: great nut/chocolate sent. 1st half: Good, plain burley. 2nd half: The flavoring reveals itself. great aroma, great room note. Ending: I have never thrown the last fourth of the bowl like I usually do.

Pros: great flavouring Cons: occasional bite tongue, the flavouring could be overwhelming for English smokers. Creates quite a lot of humidity, keep a peap-cleaner near you, especially in cold weather.

eikles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eikles (1)

My favorite burley blend so far. Excellent natural chocolaty and nutty burley flavor.

Schmitz Bitz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schmitz Bitz (5)

This is (my current) OTC mainstay, so my review may be somewhat coloured.

The pouch aroma is very mild, offering hints of nuttyness and freshly mown grass, with undertones of leather. I have found this tobacco to be a touch on the dry side (although not overly so), but I think that is due to me being the only person purchasing this from my local tobacconist, and his supply being rather aged.

The cut is a little on the long side (to the point of being near unruly), and towards the bottom of the pouch, often contains bits of stem/veins, and larger pieces of flake. I could see this causing trouble during packing, particularly if packing a smaller bowl (although its become second nature to me now). Takes the flame very well, often I get through a bowl with but one (true) light.

Flavour starts out slightly sweet, building on the base of nutty burleys, layering the almost hay-like sweetness of the Virginia's throughout. As the bowl passes the 1/2 way mark, the Virginia flavours give way to a slightly chocolatey (think dark - 80% cocoa) undertone, with a honey sweetness from the cav., and a slightly peppery tingle from the Kentucky..all, of course, overtop of the boldy nutty burley flavours. There is usually a small amount of dottle mixed in with grey ash, but bone dry.

The room note on this tobacco is also deep with nutty aroma, with hints of leather and hay. The wife enjoys this the most out of any burley blend she has been subjected to so far.

If you are having a hard time finding tobacconists that are not just glorified head shops, news stands, or convenience stores, I would highly recommend this tobacco.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (7)

I purchased this blend about two weeks ago, after smoking some really nice aromatics from the folks at J.M. Boswells. The smell in the pouch is somewhat a cross between roasted nuts and chocolate. My first smoke was somewhat jarring, since for the last few months I have been smoking the sweet flavors of the Boswell blends. As a result, I found the taste of this blend to be somewhat unusual. At this point, I thought I made a mistake purchasing this blend. However, the next day I took another smoke and it got better. Then I tried it later that evening, and it was simply magical. What I'm suggesting is that this is a tobacco that grows better with each smoke. The flavor is somewhat enigmatic: a mixture of nuts and definitely rich chocolate. I find it tastes best when smoked slowly; and the taste that remains after smoking is to die for. I highly recommend this blend!

jonnynails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonnynails (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I agree with the other reviewer. I used to smoke the Amphora range in the past, and recall them as being rather fast-burning. I bought this upon the recommendation of a tobacconist in Holland, who claimed it as the only blend he smokes.

A curious aroma and taste - very nutty, I'd say. You probably wouldn't want to smoke it day-in-day-out, unlike said tobacconist, but it makes a good rotation tobacco.

Sadly, unavailable in the UK, so if you're abroad and see it, buy a few packs.

Better than the full aroma blend, though this is certainly worth trying, too.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

For over 10 years this used to be my go-to tobacco. In the late '90s, however, Douwe Egebert's--like many other companies--sold its tobacco interests to Imperial Tobacco Company. Unlike other transitions, this one did not go down well. Amphora regular became a lackluster, un-Cavendished melânge of very simple Burleys and Viriginas, ribbon cut, tasteless and rather stale.

Recently I learned that as of 2007, MacBaren is the new producer of the Amphora range. So I bought two 50g. pouches of what is now called Original Blend, in a nice metalic paper wraper, with a new design (more elegant), but with the brown color of old.

This is a considerable improvement on the ITC version, but it yet has match the truly original one. I believe the difference resides in MacBaren's passion for the Burley leaf as the dominant tobacco. This is not at all bad (I'm a big fan of Golden Extra and London Club), but it does change the delictae and complex equilibrium that Amphora regular used to have, i.e., a subtle and elegant balance between the Virginias, Burleys and Kentucky, plus the Oriental leaf (not Latakia).

Due to the way it was processed, I believe there were certain similarities between old Amphora regular and the also bygone Sobranie's Virginia #10. Both had a certain cigar quality, due to the use of cigar leaf in the latter and a Sumatra or Java Vrginia in the former.

In this version I can hardly taste de Orientals and Virginias. The Cavendish process also seems to be different (yielding a slightly harsher smoke), and the cut--though better than the ribbon style of ITC--is loser and tougher.

I am comparing both not out of memory. A friend recently got hold of the Douwe Egbert's Amphora regular, in a a 6 Oz tin, and--after a much needed process of rehydration-- I have been smoking both.

Still: this a good and simple smoke, mild to medium, with basically a natural taste in spite of the otherwise barely perceptible coca/chocalte topping. A good change of pace for English style smokers, and a more refined version of the Virginia-Burley-Kentucky (i.e., the current Three Nuns) out there.

Pipe Used: BBB straight Rhodesian.

Age When Smoked: 2 years after buying

Purchased From: Duty Free St. Martens island.

Similar Blends: The current Three Nuns.

dzacca Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dzacca (8)

A classic blend. Often recommended for beginners, but I actually think you need to acquire some smoking skills before you can fully appreciate it.

It's one of my favorite tobaccos, a great all-day smoke made from a nice blend.

Pipe Used: Brebbia Savana 601, MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Couple of months

Oppenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oppenheimer (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

One of my first Tobacco. Was not disapointed. The Burley gives it a nice chocolate tone. Round finish. As some of you mentionned before, it fits in the "all day smoke" class (price / value / can be found basically everywhere). Sure there is some way better Tobacco around, but you should give it a try (especially for new smokers). People around me told me the smell was nice. For me, it is time to conquer new lands.

Pipe Used: Peterson #306

Age When Smoked: Brand new

Purchased From: J.E. Giguère

THE-GYPSY-SMOKER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THE-GYPSY-SMOKER (3)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

dont always believe reviews on the internet.no two ppl have the same taste either as i learned that the hardway by wasting money on this blend witch sells for close to a wopping 30$! up here in canada as ppl in the us refer to this as drugstore tobacco. in toronto we stopped tobacco sales at pharmacies and grocery stores back in the mid 90s so here its considered rare to even find capin black bokarum erinmore or amphora and they all sell for 30$ no matter what for a 50g pouch that costs you 5$ or 6$ so you can imagine that means top shelf stuff costs us between 60$ to 80$!...so back to my reveiew if your into tobacco that tastes like cigarettes this is for you. mainly amarican smokes that smell and tastes like cigars like marbs cams and winston here are smokes dont taste like that.everytime im about to try a new tobacco for the first time i use a unused mini cob to get the full flave and then i will try it a 2nd time in a proper pipe.. on the false char it tasted like pure chemicals on the true light it smelled and tasted like cigar smoke with a strange blast of spicyness it burned super fast and scolding hot i could barley hold the bowl and it stated to gurgle right away i also tasted a hint of sour this made me not want to try the other versions like the cognac one

Pipe Used: corn cob mini and a peterson billiard

Purchased From: smok and variety shop

Similar Blends: marlbaro reds cigarettes.

Alessandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessandro (12)

One of the first tobaccos I tried. Great mild smoke, with a slight chocolate flavouring. It's a great all day tobacco that won't disappoint but won't blow you away either. Good to have around when you're in the mood.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A good tobacco for someone looking for a lightly flavoured tobacco. It has a nice chocolate and walnut flavour that is rather discreet. For the rest, it tastes like pure tobacco. Original Blend is great for an all day smoke for anyone that wants a no nonsense tobacco.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

A little bit nutty, buttery and chocolate-y, but overall terribly uneventful. I see a couple that to enjoy this, but I can't think of any reason to ever buy it again.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

TO JONNYNAILS: AN EQUIVALENT OF GITANES IN PIPE TOBACCOS ARE SEMOIS TOBACCOS (BELGIUM) AND THE "GRIS CUBES" AVAILABLE IN FRANCE.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say? you get what you pay for...This smells better than it smokes in fact I think it smells like old tobacco used to smell like (burning and in the pouch)- cedar log cabin with a brandy in one hand and pipe in the other. It packs, burns and smokes well but left me wanting more. I have a liking for cavendish which is easy to see spot here so you can pick the tobacco flavoring for each pipe to make this mix more interesting (if you could be bothered?). I have half packed the pipe a few times and folded Erinmore Virginia Flake to top it off for something different, that's pretty good. Handy for a "in case of emergency break pouch tobacco" and very easy to get.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (27)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Surprised this old standard hasn't had a review already ... maybe we just take it for granted. Back in my sweet-lovin' younger days, I used to buy Amphora Green, or Special Black for preference. Haven't tried the Original in decades, but I was in a drugstore with a selection of about 2 tobaccos ... well, you know how it goes....

A pleasant surprise. In the package the scent was mild & agreeable, not too much of the characteristic Amphora flavour, with a subtle topnote that reminded me of new-mown grass (mint??), giving it a fresh smell. I could smell the Virginia, but according to the manufacturer, Burley predominates (chocolatey???) - which suits my taste. I couldn't detect a chocolaty taste, but then straight air-cured Burley doesn't taste chocolaty to me either. A little dry, but then it had probably been on the shelf for 2 years.

Enjoyable smoke, stronger than I remember other Amphora blends being. That may have been partly because it was dry & fast-burning. Good even burn to the bottom, almost no gummy dottle left. Easy on the tongue, typical of a good Cavendish. Room note pleasant, primarily straight tobacco, not heavily scented.

Technically Cavendish can be completely unflavoured (although I've never found one that is); this comes fairly close. More for the experienced smoker than the beginner, I think. I would buy it again, although I'll probably use what's left for some home blending.

Carlo1986 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlo1986 (12)

The composition is Cavendish (at least, 50%), Burley (25%), Oriental (10%), Virginia (10%) and Kentucky (5%). The most intense aromatizants are cocoa and ripe fruit (maybe apple or drupe). It's a very widespread mixture, and you can find it everywhere (recommended if you like apple, drupe and cocoa, at the same time).

Pipe Used: Many briars

Purchased From: local tabacconist

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Original Choice.

Bentlink Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bentlink (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked this back in the 1980's in College, and this newly imported version compares well with my memory...but my tastes have evolved. The pouch has the familiar tobaco and liqueur tones. It's a stringy ribbon cut with some hint of folded, rubbed cake with some pieces clinging together. The moisture is about right, just a bit on the damp side.

On lighting, I get a wee taste of chocolate. I'd describe it as Burley-forward, but don't see that as particularly positive, just factual. It burns well, with surprisingly little moisture. I find it getting sweeter at mid bowl. It holds on as decent to the finish.

This blend has some nostalgia for me, but I'm more of an English and Balkan fan these days, and miss some of the Latakia and Oriental taste. This blend is serviceable, but not really special for me now. I'll smoke it as a comfortable and occasional diversion, but won't go out of my way to find more.

Pipe Used: Neerup