A well-rounded blend, emphasizing the chocolate flavour of Burley tobacco.

BrandAmphora
Taste

3.1
L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (46)

This tobacco is one of the best cavendish tobacco I have never smoked. Excellent, neutral, natural tobacco. But cavendish. I don’t know if there is some chocolate added. Or something else. I know this is a real natural cavendish tobacco (to be more precise, cavendish and not black cavendish). You can smoke it straight all day long and it doesn’t cloy. You can use it in all kind of mixture to improve it or to dilute an expensive tobacco, thanks to its neutral character. In my opinion this tobacco is a non-aromatic Cavendish and in this cheap product you can find the real taste of cavendish tobacco. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8/9 and three stars.

Pipelover59 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipelover59 (1)

This is one of those delightful quiet and understated friends that is like the neighbour you are happy to greet every once in a while to re-calibrate to the centre with a decent and light conversation.

The subtle grassy scent in the pouch quietly introduces the other components of this pleasant smoke that evolves in the bowl. Opening blush is a simple pure tobacco taste with a cocoa greeting that grows as the bowl burns down. It is gentle on the tongue, but requires a little attention as you smoke it. The meerschaum lining in my BC added a light dimension to the roundness of the obvious Virginia and Burley medley that stayed constant throughout. The grassy sweet flavours came through a little more in the end, more complementary than competitive. The room note is reminiscent of older classic tobaccos that "your uncle used to smoke", and while not something that makes you ohh and ahh, is still a welcoming scent to almost any nose.

I enjoy this tobacco to give perspective to the various English blends that I smoke and in my rotation sometimes use it as an introduction to the Dunhill 965 time of day for juxtaposition.

Quite simply, a classic old unassuming favourite that is a reliable part of a relaxed rotation that seeks a balanced mediator among the competitive interests!

Pipe Used: Butz Cho

Purchased From: Casablanca's in Toronto

felipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
felipe (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I always had troubles at figuring out what an 'all-day-smoke' tobacco was. After all, one can always smoke whatever he wants whenever it wants. Right?

True, but sometimes you don't have the time or the concentration needed for smoking virginia flakes, or you don't feel in the mood for latakia-induced meditation. Or in general you want to smoke, but you don't know what to smoke. So you linger for a minute on your stash, and you are at risk of picking your favorite blend for a mediocre smoke. Don't do it, keep always a jar of Amphora OB around for situations like this. Don't use expensive tobaccos to fight your nicotine cravings.

It's a natural cavendish (no noticeable flavoring) made from virginias, burley and kentucky, and you can taste all of them! Never monotone, it even provides some evolution during the smoke. It burns quite fast, forcing the smoker to be disciplined, but forgives you go full-steam mode for a while. Smokes great in a cob, giving good 20-minutes smokes if packed lightly.

To me, an 'all-day' tobacco is one you burn when you just want a good, satisfying bowl, but for some reason you don't feel like you want any particular tobacco. AOB is perfect for these moments.

Pipe Used: Many briars, corncob

Age When Smoked: Pouch from the shelves

Similar Blends: Skandinavik Regular, Italia.

tados Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tados (3)

This blend is a great all-day smoke. It is just nutty and chocolatey enough to give a kick to your bowl. The room note is great, I appreciate the sweetness of the last half-bowl. It's a tobacco I like to share with a non-smoker friend for his firsts time because here in Quebec it's the only convenient store tobacco that offers a good burley blend. (the other available tobaccos are Sail, Tycoon, Captain Black and Borkum Riff) all of these have poor reviews and I'm not interested in trying those.

The pouch: great nut/chocolate sent. 1st half: Good, plain burley. 2nd half: The flavoring reveals itself. great aroma, great room note. Ending: I have never thrown the last fourth of the bowl like I usually do.

Pros: great flavouring Cons: occasional bite tongue, the flavouring could be overwhelming for English smokers. Creates quite a lot of humidity, keep a peap-cleaner near you, especially in cold weather.

My favorite of the three Amphora blends I have tried. The cocoa/chocolate taste is nice, not overwhelming. Not much nuttiness from the burley, but I don't mind. I've seen a review elsewhere that claimed there was a slight mint taste here, but I never noticed it. The cavendish taste is very slight, but adds a sweet note to the Kentucky and Virginia components. It's sort of complex in a very subtle way, but not as much as many other mixtures. It doesn't matter. This burns nicely, tastes great, and leaves a nice aftertaste. An all day smoke that is very easy on your senses. A very consistent smoke from pouch to pouch. I just wish I could get it more easily in the U.S.

Vovinam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vovinam (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorite allday tobacco, also very fitable in home-made mixtures. Round, fragrant, straight and natural, a little hint of cocoa in the aftertaste but not heavy artificial flavouring, it's all very soft and pleasant. The entire mixture (burley, oriental, kentucky and virginia) pass for a cavendish process. Despite that is a tobacco from the NL, the style is indubitably American; the result is a mixture between the burley American mixture and a classic and natural scottish blend, so nothing of the famous "Holland flavour like", burleys and orientals are preminent. Magnificent with some fresh added havana cigar fund. One of my secret and favourite mixture that a friend of mine call "Habanera" consist in 60 - 75% of AOB, 15 - 20% havana cigar, 10 - 20% latakia (syrian); the best % in my opinion is (70/20/10). Try it! The AOB is a good start for the beginner: for a perfect smoking requires some experience to control the lighting, the pressure in the bowl and the humidity, but if you do something wrong the result never fails you, so it's good for start practising.

Type: Burley american mixture/ scottish blend, natural medium ; Contents: Burley, Orientals, Kentucky and Virginia ; Flavoring: None particular flavoring added, only the minimal required by the cavendish process, something that remeber a chocolate aftertaste; Cut: Ribbon ; Humidity: Often high and tend to produce some humidity in the fund of the bowl during smoking, needs to be slow tasted ; Lighting: Most of the time easy, but burn slow and sometimes needs to be relighted ; Pipe recommended: Large bowls, in a Chubby is awesome, in a Corn pipe works great and in the Meerschaums give unique experiences

Schmitz Bitz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schmitz Bitz (5)

This is (my current) OTC mainstay, so my review may be somewhat coloured.

The pouch aroma is very mild, offering hints of nuttyness and freshly mown grass, with undertones of leather. I have found this tobacco to be a touch on the dry side (although not overly so), but I think that is due to me being the only person purchasing this from my local tobacconist, and his supply being rather aged.

The cut is a little on the long side (to the point of being near unruly), and towards the bottom of the pouch, often contains bits of stem/veins, and larger pieces of flake. I could see this causing trouble during packing, particularly if packing a smaller bowl (although its become second nature to me now). Takes the flame very well, often I get through a bowl with but one (true) light.

Flavour starts out slightly sweet, building on the base of nutty burleys, layering the almost hay-like sweetness of the Virginia's throughout. As the bowl passes the 1/2 way mark, the Virginia flavours give way to a slightly chocolatey (think dark - 80% cocoa) undertone, with a honey sweetness from the cav., and a slightly peppery tingle from the Kentucky..all, of course, overtop of the boldy nutty burley flavours. There is usually a small amount of dottle mixed in with grey ash, but bone dry.

The room note on this tobacco is also deep with nutty aroma, with hints of leather and hay. The wife enjoys this the most out of any burley blend she has been subjected to so far.

If you are having a hard time finding tobacconists that are not just glorified head shops, news stands, or convenience stores, I would highly recommend this tobacco.

Alessandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alessandro (6)

One of the first tobaccos I tried. Great mild smoke, with a slight chocolate flavouring. It's a great all day tobacco that won't disappoint but won't blow you away either. Good to have around when you're in the mood.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A good tobacco for someone looking for a lightly flavoured tobacco. It has a nice chocolate and walnut flavour that is rather discreet. For the rest, it tastes like pure tobacco. Original Blend is great for an all day smoke for anyone that wants a no nonsense tobacco.

eikles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eikles (1)

My favorite burley blend so far. Excellent natural chocolaty and nutty burley flavor.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

One of the all-time classic blends that is, unfortunately, now unavailable in the USA. Tubs of the Original Amphora literally flew off the shelves of drug stores and supermarkets around the country. A very tasty Burley blend with lightly flavored quality Cavendish and a touch of Virginia leaf for added flavor. This blend never bit, always packed and stayed lit well, and pleased those who enjoyed quality smokes at a bargain price.

I miss this one!

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

A little bit nutty, buttery and chocolate-y, but overall terribly uneventful. I see a couple that to enjoy this, but I can't think of any reason to ever buy it again.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (69)

On a whim I bought a pouch of this old veteran as I live in the Netherlands and it used to be produced here by Douwe Egberts, but nowadays by Imperial Tobacco. It is very popular among Dutch pipesmokers and I can understand why: a slightly sweet, spicy, mild and well burning cavendish that never offends. Recommended.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (7)

I purchased this blend about two weeks ago, after smoking some really nice aromatics from the folks at J.M. Boswells. The smell in the pouch is somewhat a cross between roasted nuts and chocolate. My first smoke was somewhat jarring, since for the last few months I have been smoking the sweet flavors of the Boswell blends. As a result, I found the taste of this blend to be somewhat unusual. At this point, I thought I made a mistake purchasing this blend. However, the next day I took another smoke and it got better. Then I tried it later that evening, and it was simply magical. What I'm suggesting is that this is a tobacco that grows better with each smoke. The flavor is somewhat enigmatic: a mixture of nuts and definitely rich chocolate. I find it tastes best when smoked slowly; and the taste that remains after smoking is to die for. I highly recommend this blend!

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

TO JONNYNAILS: AN EQUIVALENT OF GITANES IN PIPE TOBACCOS ARE SEMOIS TOBACCOS (BELGIUM) AND THE "GRIS CUBES" AVAILABLE IN FRANCE.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What can I say? you get what you pay for...This smells better than it smokes in fact I think it smells like old tobacco used to smell like (burning and in the pouch)- cedar log cabin with a brandy in one hand and pipe in the other. It packs, burns and smokes well but left me wanting more. I have a liking for cavendish which is easy to see spot here so you can pick the tobacco flavoring for each pipe to make this mix more interesting (if you could be bothered?). I have half packed the pipe a few times and folded Erinmore Virginia Flake to top it off for something different, that's pretty good. Handy for a "in case of emergency break pouch tobacco" and very easy to get.

jonnynails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonnynails (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I agree with the other reviewer. I used to smoke the Amphora range in the past, and recall them as being rather fast-burning. I bought this upon the recommendation of a tobacconist in Holland, who claimed it as the only blend he smokes.

A curious aroma and taste - very nutty, I'd say. You probably wouldn't want to smoke it day-in-day-out, unlike said tobacconist, but it makes a good rotation tobacco.

Sadly, unavailable in the UK, so if you're abroad and see it, buy a few packs.

Better than the full aroma blend, though this is certainly worth trying, too.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Surprised this old standard hasn't had a review already ... maybe we just take it for granted. Back in my sweet-lovin' younger days, I used to buy Amphora Green, or Special Black for preference. Haven't tried the Original in decades, but I was in a drugstore with a selection of about 2 tobaccos ... well, you know how it goes....

A pleasant surprise. In the package the scent was mild & agreeable, not too much of the characteristic Amphora flavour, with a subtle topnote that reminded me of new-mown grass (mint??), giving it a fresh smell. I could smell the Virginia, but according to the manufacturer, Burley predominates (chocolatey???) - which suits my taste. I couldn't detect a chocolaty taste, but then straight air-cured Burley doesn't taste chocolaty to me either. A little dry, but then it had probably been on the shelf for 2 years.

Enjoyable smoke, stronger than I remember other Amphora blends being. That may have been partly because it was dry & fast-burning. Good even burn to the bottom, almost no gummy dottle left. Easy on the tongue, typical of a good Cavendish. Room note pleasant, primarily straight tobacco, not heavily scented.

Technically Cavendish can be completely unflavoured (although I've never found one that is); this comes fairly close. More for the experienced smoker than the beginner, I think. I would buy it again, although I'll probably use what's left for some home blending.