There are times when our blending operator adds the wrong ingredient, sometimes we have tobacco left from trying new blends, and sometimes we have other samples. When we have accumulated enough tobacco to make a batch we blend it all together and sell it at a reduced price. Our Bargain tobacco is not always available. When it is sold out, some time may pass before the next batch will be made and it will not be like previous batches but the tobacco will be priced very economically.

BrandSterling Tobacco Co
Strength
Taste
clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)

Actually I was the one who posted this blend on this site. And my logic was simple - I wanted to know other people's experience with this this type of blend. From the description it is obvious that a consumer will not get the same blend on the regular basis - as it is ever changing.

My frustration stemmed from trying to find out what other people thought of it. To me - part of the 'fun' is the surprise of getting a tobacco and giving it a spin and either loving or hating it. Whether you like it or not is entirely up to your palate and taste.

Being said - I found my sample of Bargain Blend to completely enjoyable. The pouch aroma smelled like Swiss Chocolate and the taste - was a mild, not overly complex tobacco. It had no bite and left no pipe funk in the bowl or in the mouth. The notes although rather monochromatic were of a cocoa, vanilla and blackberry and I assume the room note was the same.

If you are on a budget - don't mind an ever changing blend - want a lot of tobacco that is quality without busting your wallet - then this is the blend for you. For what it is - I give it 4 stars.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

This is kind of a fun little game. Like a grab bag sort of thing. It is also pretty ingenious of them to be giving free samples of this blend. It is not something I would have purchased on my own, but now that I have tried it I would certainly throw a few ounces in with another order just to play the game.

The first thing to note here is the quality product. Whether a Virginia, English, or aromatic blend, the tobacco from a quality supplier comes off as just that. Before I even loaded my pipe it became apparent to me that we were dealing with a quality product. The moisture content was perfect. The cut was very nice as it packed and burned well.

The taste was very interesting. I do believe the whole anonymous nature of this blend makes it very fun to smoke. My pouch had the smell of cherry and other fruits. If the label had said cherry, I would not have thought twice about it. Due to the anonymity of the blend, I spent the whole bowl trying to diagnose the different flavors that were popping up. It was a fun little game.

I believe there was some cigar leaf or very stout burley in my pouch too. It made for a great contrast.

Overall I really enjoyed this experience, and maybe one day I will play again.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Cadre Noir

Purchased From: Free Sample from Sterling

FunkyD in the Morning Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FunkyD in the Morning (7)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

To all those crying about it being on the website, please, get a life. I think it's "fun" to read about other's experiences with the blend, since it's ever changing.

Pipe Nazis.

I put overwhelming across the board...just because...

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

clanobucklin wrote that he was interested in seeing what others were experiencing with this type of tobacco--

i can understand that--i found this review by accident, and am glad to see what others are experiencing--not so much a "review of blend" as a 'comparison of experience'??

my free sample was mostly rough cut burley--pouch aroma had a bitter/sour smell--not sure if is casing or ...???--after the char i got it going and burning easily--still a bitter taste for the top quarter of the bowl--as i progressed further the bitter became less noticeable and the burley began to appear--by the end of the pipe the flavor was at least enjoyable, if unique--never did decide if the bitterness is a case or something else--it was 'quite' bitter--

for the price (in my case free) of 15 bucks per pound one can do considerably worse--the leaf seemed to be good quality--this can be blended with something else to produce a really decent smoke with a bit of experimentation--of course you'd have to do the experimentation every time you got a new batch--but that might be fun--