Brand1776 Tobacco Co
Strength
Taste

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

I concur entirely with Markw4mms' review. He is quite right in his description of a sweetness of marshmallows and caramel. However, as smooth and tasty this blend is, it became a bit boring after awhile. It just didn't have the complexity for me to give it a four star rating. Be that as it may, it was quite an enjoyable smoke and is well deserving a try. Recommended.

Soli Deo gloria!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I tried to give this tobacco a chance, but it's not good. I get no tang or sour notes from the Orientals, the Latakia is barely there, no evidence of a grassy or a sweet Va, and the Burley is lacking the nutty sweetness good burleys have.

This very much reminded me of an insipid "American English", except the focus wasn't on the burley. That's the problem. This tobacco seemed to have no focus whatsoever. It's just a big mess of components that didn't marry well, and none of the individual components elevates it.

Smokers used to smoking lat blends are not going to care for this one.

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)

The first time a tried this 'baccie, I thought I found bliss. There was a sweet caramel flavor, and not at all subtle. Unfortunately, after a few smokes, that flavor disappeared, never to return- not even a trace!(And no, it wasn't a ghost in my pipe).

Once that flavor vanishes, you are basically left with what is essentially 1776 British Grenadier- which is not a bad tobacco for an occasional smoke, but gets quite boring if you smoke it regularly. It can get hot and it can bite.

Unfortunately, I find that with all the 1776 blends I've tried, they all seem great at first, but quickly lose their appeal. I keep what I have left for an occasional smoke, such as on a day when I might want to smoke my pipe more than once.

It's a quality tobacco- and a good intro to English blends if you're a noob like me, or coming from aros; and Jack Peterson of 1776 is great to deal with....but I just don't see enough here to make me buy this again. :(

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Got this as my requested free sample and loved it. It is so far my favorite english blend and I will order more. It is comparatively pricey for Pipe tobacco, but I don't think the price should effect my rating and thus I give it four stars.

Perfect humidity level, a creamy dry, cool and leathery smoke that is, "Oh so smooth." In addition, Jack Peterson is a pleasure to deal with.

Edit 12/9/13
I have downgraded this considerably to two stars. I still enjoy this, but have since had many others that I enjoy as much or more than this one.

calipuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
calipuffer (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I requested and received a sample of this blend from Sterling Tobacco. From the sample bag, the tobacco had good moisture level and I loaded into a Brebbia billard without any drying or airing. I gravity filled to the top and lightly tamped (I have found too much packing results in gurgle for me). Charing light was even and caught quickly. After the charing tamp, the next light lasted me half the bowl before I needed to tap/tamp/light. Burned down with minimal dottle. I have never been a flavor expert, so how it compares from A to B is not my strong suit, but for me this flavor profile is very pleasing. What I like, is that the flavor stays very consistent from start to finish, which isn't the case with other English blends. What stands out for me is that I kept coming back to the sample, even two bowls in a row, which I haven't done with another blend. So far my top choices are Hal'O The Wynd, Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club VR Blend, Carter Hall/Storm Front, and Ennerdale Flake for reference. I purchased a couple pounds of this tobacco after enjoying the sample. It is expensive, so probably won't make my standard rotation, but I hope putting some age on it may improve the Virginia sweetness.

Markw4mms Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Markw4mms (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend is marketed as a heavy English, and their description of it is:"(Heavy English) Created for the smoker who enjoys the rich natural flavors of quality tobaccos blended without flavorings. We combine the purest quality Turkish Mahala, Yenidje broad cut, Samsoun, Cavalla, Dubek, Red Virginia, Burley, and of course Latakia." This blend took to the flame easily, requiring only one relight after the initial char light. This has to be one of the smoothest English blends I have ever smoked, I think I would have to disagree with their accessment of it being a full or heavy English though because I didn't think the Latakia was as much in the forefront as I would expect from a heavy English. To me the Orientals are what took the lead, at least for the first 2/3's of the bowl. This is one blend that to me, had no tongue bite at all, as hard as I tried to make it bite. I experienced the usual campfire smokiness from the Latakia, along with a good dose of spiciness from the Orientals, but what I kept getting hints of that I wan't expecting was a kind of sweetness reminescent of toasted marshmallows or caramel, (from the Virginias I'd guess) but I wouldn't say it was a bad thing. After spending about 45 minutes of total enjoyment, all that was left was fine,white ash with no dottle at all. All in all, this is a wonderful blend, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves English blends, or to an aro smoker who wants to try an english blend.

mrrogers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrrogers (1)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Received a very generous sample from Jack Sterling. Tavern 1776 definitely contains quality leaf that burns nicely to a white ash and produces plumes of thick smoke. That being said, this blend was not to my liking. All elements are muted, latakia included. Generally a very boring bland smoke. The only flavors that came through were strong soap and cologne notes that left a weird aftertaste and mouthfeel. I got 3/4 of the way through a large bowl and had to dump the rest. Took two bowls of a full-bodied english blend and a rich meal to remove the mouthfeel.

Wont be smoking the rest of the ounce, nor passing it on to anyone else, save for a pipe smoking enemy :)

quiet_one Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quiet_one (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Overwhelming

It stayed lit, reduced to a fine ash, left my pipe clean, and delivered no bite whatsoever. Having said that, why do I taste soap, cologne, and something like a mouthful of jasmine? Why has my tongue been numb for over an hour? The wife was deeply offended by the room note, saying it smelled of burnt electronics.

Big H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big H (9)

I was sent a free sample of this from Jack. It is wonderful. It is an English blend. A flavorful, complex, blend with a long sweet finish. A touch of spice, nutmeg maybe, straw, smokey leaf in the finish. I would go so far as to say this is a full bodied smoke. Don't let the smoothness of this smoke fool you, the flavor is strong. It is just so smooth you aren't left shaking your head like you've been punched in the face. I rarely find tobaccos with this much flavor and smoothness combined. The sweet finish just compliments the smokey, complex tobacco flavor during this pipe. This is a must have. I can't wait to try all of his other blends.

UPDATE: Had to buy more as I became obsessed with this blend. Nothing fit the complex flavors of smokey English with a sweet finish. Only from Tavern. Great service from Jack.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

English with a twist. This is a delightful smoke. It has enough Latikia to keep me honest but a mouthful of great flavor. Love this stuff. Thanks to 1776 for believing in it so much to send me a sample. I'm hooked,

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)

I have trouble rating Englishes...Latakia, while pleasant enough to me, tends to form a 'Lat wall'...a form of sensory overload that excludes any other tobaccos in the mix. It takes a while for me to break that wall and experience the whole blend, good or bad.

With Tavern, I'm glad I broke through.

Not a heavy English, per se, more of a light Balkan, if you will. Oriental heavy, luxurious even. I can taste a sweetness throughout, so the VA is there as well. Heck, the Latakia, once a barrier, now floats alongside it's oriental component, never overwhelming the the balance. (I can say that now.) A high quality blend for sure! Tavern burns well, leaves dry powdery ash at the end, and doesn't linger on the palate (or clothing) like some others will.

I know the price is high, but it's worth it. (Actually, the cost is a no brainer for me...a local B&M carries it at 1/3 the online price!)

Four stars.

PipeCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeCat (13)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Fantastic blend, but far too expensive. I wish Jack would lower his prices. I just can't afford it. $75 for a 14oz tin just breaks my bank. Lower your prices Jack!

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Unnoticeable

tastes great--easily packed and lit--burned down to a white ash-- there was a very slight gurgle, but the fault lies with the pipe, not the tobacco--

medium to mild english blend--would recommend to anyone wanting to try an english smoke for the first time--really can't describe room note as i always smoke outdoors--no casing flavor evident--

believe i will lay in a stock of this one--

update:--after several experiences with this blend i find it is extremely drying to my mouth and tongue--still a good smoke, but leaves me a bit uncomfortable afterward--dropping the rating to 3 stars-

it likely is my body chemistry reacting

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This has got to be one of my favorite English Blends - although it doesn't have any perqique in it (a minor quibble).

Jack Peterson joins the ranks of mastery - with this superb English - put him up there with G.L. Pease, Russ Oulette, and Richard Gottlieb. If doctorates were given out for tobacco blending - then this would probably be his P.H.D.

The blend has such balance, structure and complexity that not one note seems to dominate this blend. Rather they all interplay like a fine symphony - with the Latakia soaring like a beautiful aria - that rises higher and higher with each puff.

There is little aftertaste in the palate or gunk left in the pipe. As I mentioned before in an other review - there is a certain creaminess to his blends with an exception of Double Eagle in the Sterling Tobacco line. This creaminess gives a wonderful smoothness to the smoke and adds to the complexity. Perhaps the creaminess is due to the fine orientals that compliment the virginia tobaccos in 1776 Tavern.

Although it is the priciest of his blends it is definitely - a wonderul example of what a "great" english blend can be.

I give this 4 stars plus.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

Tavern is a nice English with plenty of Latakia to please you. Those who love Latakia will always find the room note quite pleasant. No bite for me and I would be happy to have a few tons of this in my cellar. I only wish this came in actual tins but life isn't perfect.