(Pressed Only) A smooth, robust blend with LOTS of exceptional Latakia accompanied by Turkish and Cavendish Cut burley. This is the blend for the Latakia lover.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
CutKrumble Kake
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste
Full
Very Strong

3.2
MisterAnderson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MisterAnderson (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

So, as an amateur pipe smoker, I have discovered with the help of this blend (and a few others) that I am apparently a Latakia-phile. I can't get enough of the really robust and smokey aroma, the delicious full leathery, peaty taste. I am a lover of strong peaty scotches, and this right here reminds me of the taste of a full strength Ardbeg. The aftertaste is also delightful as the smoke and peat keep going after the pipe is done. Not an overwhelming nicotine bite either, which I like since I smoke nothing outside of pipes and have a low tolerance for nicotine. Highly recommended if you like coffee with your pipes.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild None Detected Full Very Strong

I suppose that there are people out there for whom there can never be too much Latakia or Perique or Basma, or whatever other condiment we can name. There are also people who like French fries with their ketchup and sushi with their wasabi. To each his own. For me, however, Pirate Kake is nothing short of a ridiculous, unbalanced mess. There is a sort of vague sweetness somewhere in the background, but smoking this is sort of like falling face-first into the moist remains of the campfire you doused the night before while sucking on a charcoal lozenge. Not pleasant.

The little black clump of tobacco you get in the tin is relatively easy to work with, but that's small redemption for the Latakia overload that follows a crumble, a load, and a light. If this were my pirate ration, I'd have tossed myself overboard before the thieving and pillaging even started.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (67)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Pressed plug, quite compressed, so I'm not sure I'd call it a kake, but still not as dense and fine as a traditional English plug. The dark and light leaf are easily distinguishable by sight.

This has a very fresh tin aroma, almost perfume like. I agree with earlier reviewers who think this is Syrian latakia. The terpene smell so indicative of Cyprian latakia is almost not there. Still very smoky.

Takes a light well and burns with few relights. The smokiness is front and centre throughout. On the tongue this tobacco is sweet and fresh. An after dinner smoke for me.

Edit 27/9/14. I'm upping this to 4 stars and it's made it into my favourites as well. The satisfaction this baccy gives me is immense. On reflection I doubt the Lat is Syrian either, I was probably confused by the other Orientals.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

A nice Latakia bomb. The mixture is creamy, dry, woodsy and with a lot of peat accents. As an interval, you get some sweetness and more often some sourness, all this in a good way. It's highly recommended for Latakia fanatics or smokers who like their mixtures on the monochromatic side, without too many taste changes during their smoke.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Extra Strong

If there is such a thing as heaven, for latakia lovers the streets of heaven must be paved with pirate kake. Wow, this sure is a sucker punch in a baggie. This stuff is ridiculously good.

To start let me say that pirate kake is the first tobacco that has ever made my hands look like that of a mechanic. After rubbing a chunk of this smoky ambrosia out it looks like I repair diesel trucks for a living. All that oily goodness ends up on your hands.

For all that oily leaf this blend smokes remarkably well. Very few relights, and is just heavenly. It is incredibly complex considering the fact that this stuff is the equivalent of putting a freight train in your pipe. The flavor is strong, and I mean get tennis elbow brushing your teeth but your still going to taste it two days after strong. It also is not much of a crowd- pleaser in terms of room note. My usually very lenient significant other told me not only to kindly leave the house, but leave the county before I smoke this blend again. That being said, this stuff is good enough to drive to the next state to enjoy.

Coming in bulk as it does it is a good value, and based on the oil content I bet this blend would be perfect for coloring up a nice shiny new meer. Its just good, kick your taste buds in the butt good, but its good. I highly recommend it.

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (9)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

As a former cigar smoker this was right up my ally. The generous amount of smokey Latakia (75%) combined with the sweetness of the Turkish and hit of nicotine from the burley really agreed with my taste buds. On opening the tin the aroma reminded me of a warm spring night next to the campfire. Once rubbed out and let to dry for about an hour there was no issues keeping the bowl lit. Taste was consistent. A beautifully smokey taste with a sweet background and almost barn sawdust background note that burnt down to the bottom with a beautiful creamy mouthfeel. Once again C&D is probably my favourite Tobacco company as the blends are spot on and the quality of tobaccos they use seem to be carefully selected and properly kept as far as humidity before blending.

update July 2014** I decided to change the blend type of this tobacco to other primarily because I don't believe it is an English blend due to its high amount of Latakia. Personally in the world of pipe tobacco there should be a blend known as Latakia based, with the "spice tobaccos" added in, which quite a few blends would fall under.

Pipe Used: Brigham voyageur

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (17)

This is a Latakia bomb? so in this case I like. Here in Brazil many confreres saying about this blend and i decided to try. First is a plum and woodsy taste, different than I thought this blend isn't aggressive, your smoke is creamy and fill your mouth. I think all Cornell & Diehl blends are aggressive in your taste, but this the proof that i was wrong. moreover all this blend dont heat the bowl and your smoke are warm during all the time. I will buy this for a second time...

Mild Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Awesome stuff. The heavy metal of pipe tobacco. This stuff is the true test to someone if they really love latakia or not. Highly recommended to the lat bomb smokers.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Shiver me timbers brethern of the coast this here be one tobacco that land lubers and weak of knees should leave be. This is a hefty stout LATAKIA, probally Syrian the way it is good and SMOKEY. Mix in a little cavendish burley, add a touch of the Turk,and press this in a 70,000 ton vise and you have PIRATE KAKE! WOW, this is hearty. At first light the Latakia wafts by the nose and oh boy,try this if you need a Latakia drip tube. Spicey,hints of sweetness,SMOKEY,complex.Darn good!!!

I have to agree with the wxguy, it does look like a block of Hashish.

Update 9 July 2005;

I revisited me old block of Pirate Kake about a week ago, and found it had dried quite a bit more than I wanted it to. So I figured I'd go down to the liquor locker and pull out the Cruzan dark Rum. I poured about a tablespoonful of the rum into the bag and sealed it back up. The tobacco was allowed to stand for two whole days. I opened the backy and let it dry a tad bit,and then loaded a bowl.

MY GOSH! YA GOTTA TRY THIS. WORDS FAIL ME AS TO HOW WONDERFUL IT IS.

JohnMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnMA (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

I got a free sample of this from smoking pipes with a recent order. I'm NOT a latakia smoker. I smoke only virginias and perique blends. I've had other strong balkans once in a while. This blend seems to be great quality and the latakia seems to be better and smoother than i've had in the past. If you really like latakia and turkish go for it. If you want a more balanced english this one will be too strong on the condiment for you.

Pipe Used: briar lovat

Age When Smoked: new, less than a year old tin

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (89)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Compared to other Latakia-rich mixtures, I found Pirate Kake to be a flavorful yet rather ordinary and monochromatic smoke. This blend is a perfect example of how tobacco mixtures can be full flavored but still fall flat due to lack of subtle nuances & slight to moderate shifts in complexity.

I enjoy latakia immensely. So much so, that I feel it’s only fair to profess that Pirate Kake has a number of admirable attributes that fellow latakiaphiles will most certainly applaud. For instance, there’s plenty, and I mean “plenty” of dark luscious latakia leaf here. And as expected it is the driving force behind this blend’s earthy, brooding flavor profile. It burns fairly well for a big latakia mixture and it smokes so cool you’ll wonder if your pipe is even lit. Pirate Kake is smooth as silk and it produces copious amounts of fragrant smoke. These traits usually go a long way towards making for an excellent tobacco mixture, but Pirate Kake just doesn’t quite do it for me.

Truthfully I think it’s missing the necessary character that's needed to differentiate it from other blends in its class. Pirate Kake might have a rich smoky flavor, but it lacks the creamy & pungent Oriental counter balance of Odyssey, Penzance and Lagonda. It does have a spiciness to it, but it can’t touch the powerful fiery pepper punch of Ten Russians, the broad flavor depth of Bill Bailey’s Balkan, or the sweet spicy subtleties of Plum Pudding. When put up against any of these blends, even C&D's own wonderful Star of the East, Pirate Kake just doesn't rate.

This C&D offering does at the very least beg one question. How much latakia is too much? Frankly, I am not sure, but I do know that somewhere this concoction crosses the line.

Pipe Used: various briar

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Beautiful Latikia Kake. The strong Latakia flavor basically wipes out any hint of the other tobaccos. I suppose the nicotine kick comes from the burley. While perhaps one dimensional I love this rich Lat bomb in one of my English billiards. A favorite for special occasions, definitely not an all day smoke for me.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Billiard

Purchased From: BNB Tobacco

tango Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tango (11)
Medium None Detected Full Very Strong

My water smoker smells like this if I do too many pork shoulders in it without scrubbing the poor thing down once or twice.

I love it.

King T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King T (3)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

LATAKIA! LATAKIA! LATAKIA! Is what this blend is all about. If you are a latakia freak, as I am, then I will venture to say you are going to like this blend a lot. It is a bomb in my assessment.

Some would say the latakia is over dominant so much that you can not taste the other tobaccos in this blend. And I would have to agree. It's only from smoking PK many times that I can barely, barely detect other tobaccos here. I actually had to read up on this blend to find out its contents. And even then it took me a while to admit there were other tobaccos present. The only one I am confident in saying I can taste is the burley. And that was only through the nose. The latakia here overwhelms this blend. That's not a negative statement, just an observation. Nevertheless it is a smooth blend. So smooth I would describe it as creamy. The room note to me is exquisite! Smoking a latakia blend we all know has that cherished, non mistakable fragrace in the air. No different here except the smoke is much more rich. Intensified if you will. I recon it is due to the amount of latakia.

All in all I would rate this a 3.75. Still very high. And I would recommend it smoked with a dark beer. Something consistant with New Castle or darker. But nothing less. So, if you're a latakia lover give this blend a shot.

Pipe Used: various

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

Originally Reviewed on 5/29 Tin/Pouch Note: Sour apple, plum, campfires and leather. Strong pungency/vinegar(?) when the tin was opened but that subsided to the sour apple and plum notes being stronger, especially after transferring to a jar.

For starters, this is very concentrated latakia - almost meaty, creamy, rich. I also pickup some oriental mustiness but unlike most English blends, this has zero balance... the oriental is an afterthought that you pickup on the exhale but not when the smoke is in your piehole. What I'm getting? Islay malt scotch and rose water, as in a smokey, brine, iodine, perfume, incense sort of way. I pick up a lot more sweetness, with a pungent sourness, like cherries that aren't quite ripe yet. And the smoke has a creamy quality that coats your mouth and nose and everything in a 3 yard radius.

Room note? My wife thought I was burning tires.

I also found this blend seemed to pack a bit of nicotine when smoked in an MM General. However, I didn't find the same results in smaller pipes or even my briars so I might have just had an off day.

This is a good blend if you really want to know what "Latakia Forward" means. The best way I can put this blend, is that if it were a movie, it would be about latakia, there would be a preview before the movie starring oriental, and the burley and virginias would be listed in the credits as gaffers or extras.

Pipe Used: MM general, royal meer, savinelli 616

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Medium to Strong Mild Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Let me say, up front, I'm a Latakia fan. Or, at least I thought so. I purchased this because I wanted to experience what a Latakia "bomb" is. Now I know, and don't like it. I'll stick with more basic English/Balkan blends that use Latakia as a secondary player; not the only player. This stuff is, well, out of line. Mind you, I don't regret trying it—the tobacco's were good quality, it's just that this blend is not for me.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Molina bent

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

A Four Star blend, IMHO. Top Notch. I always load my pipe the night before and let it sit overnight. The next day PK lights right up and smokes all the way through. I get a creamy taste unlike any other tobacco I have yet tried. Very smooth with little, if any bite. I confess, any bite, which I have gotten, may come from a propensity, on my part, to "puff" this tobacco due to how much I enjoy it. The "creaminess" can be a little heavey at times so I have found this to be a good tobacco to cut with a lighter english. 60 (PK)/40 (Savinilli English) makes a great all day smoke but PK can certainly stand alone.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Overwhelming Strong

If you LOVE not like latakia try this but good god come on man

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

This is a very hard tobacco to review, so I'll just note my first impressions. I ordered 4 oz. bulk of this blend, along with 4 oz. C&D's #099, Engine 99. The 099 bag was packed totally full of tobacco, whereas the Pirate Kake was only half full! I took this to mean that the Pirate Kake was very moist - and that is the case. Being the impatient person that I am, I wanted to sample this blend immediately. Yeah, I know that I am supposed to set out a bowl and let it dry overnight, but...my "compromise" was to only pack the loose crumbles that were in the bag. I packed the bottom half of the bowl very loosely, as usual. I fear that I packed the top third too tightly. This was confirmed by the frequent relights during the first half of the bowl - mea culpa. The bottom half of the bowl, not surprising, is much more productive.

I am a Latakia, English blend, and Virginia blend lover. I am currently puffing on this blend, in my Ser Jacopo Delecta, and I find this blend to be very mild for the most part. I am getting the slightly salty, minerally taste, that other reviewers mentioned. The flavor is fairly monotone, and limited to the Latakia. It is not biting my tongue at all, and I am puffing the Dickens out of the bacci. Relights are much less frequently on the bottom half of the bowl, in fact, it is burning quite well.

In summary, this seems to be a Penzance lite. I am not tasting the complimenting Oriental flavors, as I do in Penzance. Pirate Kake is much less powerful than I thought that it would be. There is zero burn on nose exhale, and no tongue bite. The Latakia is always front and center, and to me, that is not a bad thing. The aroma seems to be fairly stong. I am sensing no vitamin N, and I am smoking this bowl very aggressively. The bowl of my pipe is staying absolute cool to the touch.

As others have mentioned, Pirate Kake would probably blend very well with FVF, or other sweet, full bodied, predominately English or Virginia blends.

I think that I am going to like this tobacco, therefore three stars for now. I will probably update my impressions in the future. Later folks....keep on puffing.

Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Pirate Kake is like a car accident that you can't take your taste buds away from. It rubs out easily and packs with ease too. I like Latakia, but I wouldn't consider myself one that likes it to totally dominate the blend. But it really is a good tasting tobacco. Did I say there was a lot of Latakia in this blend?? It's easy to rub out and smokes coolly. There is also an underlying sweetness to the blend too, especially when sipped slowly. I was expecting it to be one dimensional, but while not complex, it's not boring either. If you like well done, heavy Latakia blends, Pirate Kake fits the bill to a “T”. If you are not a fan of a lot of Latakia, take a pass. Highly Recommended!

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I really like this tobacco once in a while, not an everyday smoke. Latakia is out front with maybe a hint of vanilla hidden way , way, way in the background. I don't like the cut of this tobacco ( Krumble kake, broken rubbed out flake). It doesn't stay lit, requires constant tamping and seems to fall out with hot embers.

A word about the aroma, I always thought this would send people running, but the other day I was with three other guys smoking cigars when I lit some PK, they all said how great it smelled. I guess aroma is all relative to your surroundings. I really don't think I will buy again as this is very one dimensional.

Updated 11/2/11- Well after a few months to breath and a different pipe ( if that is what one calls an Ozark Cherry Wood, original review was with a cob ), this blend is complex, without heat, creamy , cheezy and a keeper. It must be sipped , that way you bring in the Turkish as a minor player next to the Latakia. I don't notice the Burley at a sip, which is fine, since I'm not a Burley fan. I'm still not a fan of the Krumble Kake as stated above, but it does burn at a sip.

I had just finished some Orient Express and I noticed in the description that it was 50% Pirate Kake and 50% Odessa. OE was suppose to cut the heavy Latakia of PK , but one thing it does is bring the Burley slightly into play, that I don't like.

I still don't see this as an all day smoke , but I will buy again. I will now compare this to Engine 99, Odyssey & Ten Russians blends for my Lat bomb fix. Stay tuned for the results

Updated 8/10/12 I've just tried, Engine 99, back to back with, Pirate Kake, both bulks, and I find PK better . You had better have a liking for Latakia with both of these blends, more so with PK that gives an almost oily taste. E99 is not as sweet and doesn't bring much Oriental and is very one dimensional. I've decided I would rather put my money towards PK.

Updated 10/13/12- I ordered another Bulk batch of this blend, rubbed it all out, let it rest for about a month and I have to say, "this is outstanding". Everytime I try this tobacco, it's a new experience. It has a lot of similarities to Penzance (including the iodine note identified by reviewer," GSTQ 12/27/2011" ). It has a smoked bacon with sharp provolone flavor !!! I also detected an unusual Oriental scent when snorked, hold on....., it's a freshly split oak log with shellac coating scent ( Turkish?, Burley?),. I wouldn't even argue with reviewer,"Ecdycis 07/29/2012" on his "Menthol sensation", I know, it doesn't sound good but it's different and wonderful. I believe I detected the same oak scent in a tin of Dunhill London Mixture . I want to give this 4 stars but I will hold off as everytime I try this, I detect something diffrent?

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Strong

The quality is there, no questions asked.

However, 70% + of Latakia makes this blend unidimensional.

I would not recommend it on its own, but mixed with some VAs or more Burleys to get the best out of it.

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

A friend sent me a large sample of Pirate Kake a few months ago. It looked so strong and foreboding in the pouch that I refrained from whittlin' a chunk for quite some time. My Boy Scout knife was recently located but I really didn't need it. This powerful, Latakia laden stuff breaks up easily.

Pirate Kake is distantly similar in taste to CAO's Old Ironsides, but the Latakia content here is much more overwhelming. I really tried to like the taste, but not being a regular consumer of Latakia, I found that exotic leaf to be simply "over the top" in this instance.

The best way to describe the taste is by saying that if someone stuffed a salty piece of old leather in a pipe and set fire to it, you'd be smoking something akin to Pirate Kake. This blend burns slowly and is exceptionally cool. Remember to use a pipe reserved for Latakia blends, too.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

There's not much to say about this one, except Latakia. I know it says there is some orientals in there, but I don't know. I got this as a sample from smokingpipes.com, and wanted to try a crumble cake. I smoke this one outdoors only as it is most offensive to pretty much everyone. I heard burning leaves and campfire from most everyone there. I have come to enjoy Latakia mixtures for the most part. While I did enjoy this with a good jolt of black rum on the side at a party, I'm not sure it's a daily kind of smoke.

The presentation was a cube in the sample I got. It was a half ounce. It smells very strongly of Latakia in the pouch. Heck, outside the pouch as well. You can almost hear your girl complaining about this one already. It crumbled up pretty easy and packed up well. Left a little oily residue on my fingers. It lit ok and burned fairly well. This would probably be great for coloring a new meerschaum. It tastes like it smells pretty much. Smokey, like woodsmoke. Peaty sort of flavor to it. It is pretty strong, both in nicotine and aroma. Sipping at this one, it didn't get too overbearing in its intensity of flavor. Goes well with the black rum, or maybe a stronger stout or IPA. Definitely a strong peaty highland single malt like Laphroaig or peat monster.

I only gave it a slightly lower rating bc I'm not sure a lot of people would like this. This one is good for what it is, which is a lat bomb. It is a pretty intense smoke in my opinion. You're going to want to take it slow at first with this blend. Most likely she won't let you smoke this one inside unless she's smoking it too lol. You may want to get a small amount to try it before you go bulk.

Pipe Used: Peterson lovat

Purchased From: Sample from smokingpipes

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (34)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Wow, this stuff is a Latakia monster. It actually made my neighbor come out and ask if I was burning tires. It's strong in taste and smell. The dominant feature is the smoky Latakia. It rubs out easy but it is messy. If you like a whole lotta Latakia, go for it. It is a pretty cool baccy.

I took the advice from one of the other commenters on this page and decided to spruce it up with some rum. I will comment further when I smoke it again.

Pipe Used: MM legend, Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (22)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Extra Strong

This was the perfect after-dinner smoke tonight. I spent hours getting my smoked salmon perfect. After all that time in a cloud of hickory smoke I wanted something that I could actually taste.

A pinch off the kake was easily crumbled in my palm, and one match got it going.

In my ridiculously long churchwarden the smoke was actually pretty mellow for a latakia blend. It didn't give me a headache or make my stomach hurt, so I will keep some Pirate Kake around for when the right occasion presents itself.

Maybe it isn't well balanced, but for an after-dinner smoke, when you have feasted on smoked meats, it is delightful.

Pipe Used: Churchwarden briar

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (16)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is, indeed, good tobacco. If you're looking for a better Latikia Bomb, check out Captain Earl's Stimulus Package or his Ten Russians. I find the Ten Russians to be a slightly better balance than Stimulus Package. I'm stocking these deep.

Pipe Used: Meer, Briar & Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh & 4 months

Purchased From: P&C

CFAF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CFAF (4)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

This is a rare case of too much of a good thing. I love latakia. Latakia blends are my favorites. I don't know if it's too much latakia at 70 percent, or if there's another something in there (burley?) that just makes this blend too much for me. I really want to like it, but it's too strong. To each their own, but Ten Russians is my lat bomb. Pirate Kake is nuclear.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 6 months to a year

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I don't know it sort of reminds me of Bengal Slices (sort of). Tastes like Karo Syrup and Latikia. Way way too sweet for my taste buds. It is very monotone and I don't notice the "other" oriental varieties at all. I don't think I will be buying it again. It does smoke cool with no bite. Preparation isn't to difficult although it is kind of tough to rub out for a "krumble kake". If you like sweet stuff with your latakia this just might fit the bill. The kick from Lady N is not that strong. It is quality stuff for sure, just not to my liking. Don't let this review throw you off of the stuff ... you may like it.

Pipe Used: Corn Cobb

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Bengal Slices (sort of ).

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Slightly spicy, woodsy, heavier on the Latakia, rich, pungent tobacco. Very consistent smoke and taste throughout the smoke. I enjoyed it because of that. Easy going. Comes in a crumble cake form, like a dried out brownie. Easy to break off and prepare in your pipe. Really good if you're hungry too. Apparently, it's recommended to try mixing this with some Haunted Bookshop, however I have not tried that yet. :)

-- UPDATE -- awesome blended with some Lane 1Q... 1/3 Pirate Kake, and 2/3 1Q - marinate for a week in a baggie. Sweet latakia smoke. SO GOOD! Take away some of that slightly salty or charcoal Pirate Kake taste!

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Grand Duke

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I guess I must be a real Lat fiend too. This is my favorite Lat-bomb of all time, having tried many that get harsh or bitter. This one stays creamy mild all the way, an occasional sourness & then sweetness, both pleasant, don't really shake up the Latakia's prominence. Seventeen stars

Pipe Used: Old meer, briars

Purchased From: J&R

Pipe Beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Beard (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Strong

Highly recommend with the caveat that you like a Lat bomb. That's what this is. I love a good lat bomb every now and again, and this blend definitely scratches that itch.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

My Favorite Latakia forward blend, not for the smoker who only likes a touch of latakia, it has enough Burley and Virginias to keep it interesting, but the Latakia will take over

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Age When Smoked: all ages

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

fredkao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fredkao (11)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

Well I was hoping to find something very strong as it's a Latakia Bomb but NO! It's very mild and I wasn't pleased with it after my first try but I have to say: you must take it slowly because it's really something!
Anyway, you can use it also for blending il you need a richer smoke.
I like it and I will love it, I'm sure.

Pipe Used: Charatan, Peterson, ...

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

BigChairPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigChairPuffer (11)
Medium None Detected Full Extra Strong

You'll need a knife to break this one up, its a pretty tight brick. Copious amounts of latakia ...doubtful you'll taste much of anything else. Very cool smoke that will linger long after you're done puffing...

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

HO-LEEE SMOKES, BATMAN!!! Put your big boy pants on for this one. Latakia heaven.

UPDATE: 12/3/2013 Not just a lat bomb. The oriental component is actually very noticeable. Not quite balanced, but nearly so. Stouter than most of those "late evening" blends and a great way to end the day.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is exactly what I look for in a latakia blend. It is sweet, cool and almost minty. I'd say it's complex, but not like Penzance or a GL Pease latakia. It's complex because latakia in itself is complex, and you can taste this fine leaf without any bitterness from less than premium leaf or obstruction from too many other flavors. The crumble cake is a lot of fun to handle and the smoke is very rewarding, even if it is a little light in the nicotine department.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a nice cake, black in appearance, smelled smokey and robust. The aroma was all latakia and the taste was pretty much the same. Nice and creamy latakia, indeed. This was not a very complex blend regarding variance in flavor, but it was a good smoke. I got a sample from a friend and was very grateful, but I wont be purchasing any of this, just not something I would not smoke often at all.

Theodore Moore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodore Moore (10)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

This stuff, (yes stuff is the right word) is just plain brutal. One must either have a fried tongue or be a masochist to enjoy Pirate Kake. The Latakia is of inferior quality and the blend opposes itself to the point of the abusing the poor sucker who smokes it. I like Latakia, but this blend gives Latakia a bad name. I smoked about ten pipe fulls and was ready to sue by the last bowl. Only Blackbeard on the gallows could possibly find solace in this blend. I think it should be renamed Pirate's Death Wish.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Boring, one dimensional lat. bomb. I was hoping for some spicy flavor to counterbalance so much Latakia, but alas 'twas not to be found.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

A surprisingly delicate and spicy tobacco, which plays in the upper league of Latakia blends, together with Ten Russians and Da Vinci (all manufactured by Cornell & Diehl). Probably it is the little Burley content in Pirate Kake which makes it my personal favourite among these Latakia-thunderbolts. The room note, of course…ahem… “not spouse-friendly”…

If purchased as 16oz. block, PK is a true bargain.

The Logo-Mat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Logo-Mat (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my favorite tobacco. I find it creamy, smoky and wonderfully perfect. I haven't been able to appreciate any other latakias after smoking a few bowls of this. Great job C&D!

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a great blend. I love Lat. Actually, for a good Lat. fix this is a great place to go. However, for the most part I found that there was so much Lat. in this blend that it tended to be rather 1 dimensional. It was rare for me to pick out anything but the lat. especially the Turkish, which I really like. Overall, a good smooth smoke that had no bite. Great for one of those times that you don't want to think about the smoke while doing other things.

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

This is a tobacco blend that doesn't beat around the bush! You'll know in a heart-beat whether you truly love Latakia - or just think you do.

Ecdycis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ecdycis (5)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am not quite sure how to fully describe this tobacco. I know I like it, but I am not sure if it will always be in my stock. I like how it smells while burning, and I enjoy smoking it. Its toasty, slightly nutty, with a mild briny tartness underlying everything. There is also some sweetness to the blend, but the factor that I can't quite describe is almost a menthol sensation. Its reminds me of taking a handful of fresh basil and stuffing your mouth (but not as extreme,) and once the flavor has left your palate there is still a certain feeling present. This is what is left in my mouth while smoking this blend, an odd cooling sensation not unpleasant in any regards, just unexpected and strange. I find the blend very relaxing and I am still working through the sample ounce I purchased. It could very well become a regular, but for now I am unsure. Maybe I will try mixing it with something.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

I really do not smoke this straight, but I do enjoy adding this to many of the blends I enjoy that need an extra kick of Latakia. I mix it three parts Dunhill Early Morning Pipe to one part Pirate Kake. This will keep you going.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

For my purposes this is a killer wonderful rich tobacco with everything I want from a Latakia blend. the sweetness of the cavendish cut burley seems a perfect low key accompaniment to all those dark smoky flavours I want from the lat and orientals. I now understand why so many rate this tobacco highly. A rich warm real tobacco flavour bath. The wife will hate it but I'm too old to care. Not for anyone shy about Latakia, nicotine, or burley.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Overwhelming

Very latakia... The kake is very crumbly, easy to break into chunks or rub out. Smells pretty full on on the tin and while smoking. Taste is very smooth, strong and stinky. The burley is noticeable and really brings it all together. Enough nicotine to keep me happy, enough stink to annoy the wife.

I like it, but not sure if I'll buy more. This stuff is fantastic if you want to piss off non smokers. I now know why pirates don't have wives.

If you like latakia then consider this recommended, at least to try, it's an experience.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

Although is is the Cake cut,it is easy to rub, burn easy and slow, and the pipe remains easy to charge. I like this so much! This will be one of my favorites. Is almost pure latakia...! I consider wondefull, fully taste, flavour and scent. I also consider in the same level of quality as classics: 965, Dunhill Standard Mixture ad Presbyterian. Fully recommended, but is only for people that fully enjoy Latakia and not for pipe begginers. Is also a good base formmaking personal mixtures, as source of Latakia. Therephore,it will compose mixtures simillar to "your own English type" Also,is a tobacco of the type that i like: is not strong in nicotine, bu strong il flavour, scent and taste.

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

An ode to Cyprian Latakia if there ever was one. The smoke is dense and is rich with the incense like flavor and aroma of latakia and orientals. Smokes cool, slow, and extremely flavorful from char to dottle.

firmitas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firmitas (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Overwhelming

I just started to smoke pipes, so you could say that I picked up this tin too fast. This tin taught me all too well what latakia is. I found it an intriguing taste, but my wife would have kicked me off the state if she had had the opportunity. Still it burned extremely well, and it was smooth smoke. I will recommend it for latakia lovers, and who knows once I have more experience I will appreciate the tin more. To be clear, I enjoyed the smoke a lot however the latakia odor still haunts one of my pipes.

pipeshomer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeshomer (4)

This is a niche tobacco for latlovers. Given the latakia content the taste is one dimensional but if that is a taste you crave then it's really not an issue. Few smokers will see PK as an all-day or even every-day smoke but it is what it is and if you want a latakia fix then this is nice to have on hand. This will really mess-up your hands when you break it up so I just did it once and keep it in a mason jar. I have not had the need to dry mine out and it smokes exceptionally cooly and dryly. I pack it somewhat loosly and it lights easily and burns nicely. I love latakia but this is not a daily bowl for me. My go-to tobaccos are Billy Budd and 10 Russians but I reach for this several times a week and taste it for an hour or more afterwards. Highly recommended for Lat-Heads.

Stu D. Baker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stu D. Baker (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

LATAKIA!!! I've been a hound for it, ever since my first tin of Penzance. This thing here -this Pirate Kake- has indeed hit the spot.

Now, I had some trouble with it early on. I smoked it moist, and it got very very hot. I smoked it fast, and it got very very hot.

This is a tobacco that requires you to take the time for it. Smoke it after it has dried, pack it loosely, prepare for many gentle (and I do mean gentle) re-lights. Above all, smoke it slow. Your preparation and patience will pay off, by God.

The most intriguing thing about this tobacco, I think, is its name. I can't help but wonder if it was named as an ode to seafaring rapscallions, or as a metaphor to the fact that you will find yourself digging for flavor treasures while enjoying a bowlful. The latakia is there, right up front, and bold indeed! Slow and careful smoking, as noted, will reveal a more complex flavor character than is on the surface. The burley appears for a moment after lighting, then steps back to make way for full- force latakia with bits of tasty turkish aroma punctuating.

I highly recommend this blend to the inner-pirate in everyone! A wonderful tobacco.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Appearance is a pressed briquette ("krumble kake"), rubs out to a coarse mixture of pieces and ribbon. Smells of smoke and creosote. Tastes smoky with mineral overtones.

Pirate Kake is an interesting smoke, providing a full serving of Latakia. I do not find it as strong as many other reviewers. The smoky flavour is nice and develops a slightly salty, mineral taste. A tongue numbing iodine note remains after smoking. There's no finesse nor subtlety here. Recommended for Latakiaphiles.

Asianhombre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Asianhombre (2)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Full Very Strong

A mighty cake burley, for the lover of Latakia. Keeps away loiterers and unwanted company.

Not for everyone, and cake tobaccos require some rubbing out, but all in all a good tobacco. Makes you earn it's respect. I enjoy it with a strong black coffee.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Neptune's trousers! This is a fantastic Latakia smoke! This was the last of 21 new blends that I recently worked my way through. PK made the top 5 list. C&D managed to hit a very nice flavor note! They have the Latakia and Burley playing so well together in this blend. I find it to have a very rich, flavorfuly smokey, pleasantly toasty, note. I taste at least three different alternate flavor notes as different sized chunks of tobacco burn. The Krumble Kake cut adds tremendously to this blend. It requires one to slow down and enjoy the ritual and preparation of a great pipe smoke. Without question, the different sized chunks of tobacco, with different blends of leaf, is at the root of the many different sub-flavors that manifest during the bowl. Most other cuts wouldn't work with this much Latakia. I recommend a small bowl with a longish stem for best smoke. Sip, don't puff hard! It lites well and stays lit right down to the end of the bowl. For me, this is my favorite Lat. bomb! Not an everyday smoke, but a great cold weather pleasure, to mix up the rotation.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

This is a superb blend of all those who experienced latakian mixtures. Full, dense, aromatic taste leaves nobody indifferent! Indeed smoking of this tobacco is a spiritual experience! For each referral! Note: not for young smokers - this tobacco requires however some experience!

HolySmokeNPipePadre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HolySmokeNPipePadre (1)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Strong

Pirate Kake is not just a smoke; it is a true religious experience!

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought in a half pound of PK and Star of the East a month or so ago and am very happy that I decided to try this beautiful cake. My preference has always been for latakia forward blends but admit to having reservations to smoking anything that had a 70% latakia content. My fears were for the overall balance of the blend, with 70% I expected the smoke to be one dimensional, not so. Although PK is very obviously a strong lat bomb, I found it to be remarkably smooth, much more so than Star of the East and that PK is actually one of the finest smokes I have had the pleasure of smoking.

A beautiful cake, so easy to handle and pack, the room note for me was acceptable, I quite like the smell of latakia and can never understand when there is so much comotion about it. What I do like also is that with the cake form, there is far more tobacco there in that cake than you'd think, once prepared you need much less than you originally thought.

I'm taking to C&D's blends really fast and have yet to sample anything I have not enjoyed to the fullest. Remarkable. But whether or not I continue to explore their blends, ofcourse i will, I will also make certain that I have a good supply of PK on order and in my cupboard before the rest of the smoking world wakes up to this blend, if they havent already. Easily four stars with pleasure.

Tigerjackshere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tigerjackshere (3)

Pirate Kake is only for the true Latakia Lover, it has 70% Latakia in it , so unless your a big fan of Latakia, as I am, you may not want to buy over a sample to try. This is a awesome smoke , very smokey , campfire comes to mind , there is some sweetness, but not as much as other English tobaccos, even so this is a great smoking tobacco. Lights easy & stays lit, great smokey flavor to the bottom of the bowl, for me this is top notch tobacco, but as I stated it is very rich in Latakia which puts some people off. If you really like Latakia buy a ounce or two & you will be in Latakia Heaven!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Not all that much one can say about a 70% Latakia blend, but the real coolness of this is in the presentation. I'm really starting to like C&D crumble cakes. Before this, I've had Black Frigate and Bow-Legged Bear, which were both really old (from those crappy metal tins C&D used to use that didn't seal), and were falling apart, and Briar Fox, which I liked; but this one is really dense and really fun to play with/chop up. Good smoke, if you like Latakia...

I got a one ounce sample, and loved the look of it: brownie-like cake (ok, a brownie left out in the sun!) that is dense and smells...of Latakia. Not much to say beyond that. Of course, I smoked some before ordering a half-pound, but this is just a straight out Lat bomb. Sometimes, I like that, though I smoke Virginias most often. I'm an experimenter, though, so I try all styles. I could give four stars for the presentation; it's about the coolest cake I've ever seen, but since it is almost straight Latakia, detract a star. I don't know how long it will take me to smoke all this, but since I like to do a Latakia mainline once in a while just for a change, I will not mind having this in my cellar. Very pretty to look at, and I enjoyed carving the "big brownie" into "little brownies" with an Alaskan chopping bowl blade. It was almost worth the price just for that. This cake should hold together nicely as it ages in the Ball jar.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Pirate Kake is a good tobacco to close a late evening, to compliment a strong cup of coffe, or when you just need a strong latakia fix. Having said that, this tobacco is in no way an every-day smoke as it just doesn't have enough character to contemplate on. However, when the mood strikes, Pirate Kake may just hit the spot. soli Deo gloria

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

This one is just not for me. It does produce a decent amount of smoke. Just too much Latakia for me. As always YMMV. I give this 2 stars because it does seem to be a quality mixture.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Less sweet, more nutty, camp fire smokiness. Yep this and star of the east are extremely delicious tobaccos.

Let tobacco dry out some and keep your pipe cool.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Strong

This is top of the notch latakia. Much better than Star of the East as an overall impression.

But I wouldn't smoke this on a regular basis. Such a concentration of LAtakia becomes unidimensional after a while, so it would gain to be mixed with something else to bring variety to it.

Of course it is hard to keep lit and everything, there's over 70% of Latakia in there!

And the bricks were pretty cool, I must say.

Ugo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ugo (9)
Medium Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

All the reviews are very complete, so I will just add my few points. I have some difficult lighting and smoking (a feeling of weakining burning) more than other Latakia blends. The good point is the concentration on Latakia, with no corrections, and this is also a weak point, since it flattens the experience. Since a long time I can not find Penzance, that stands in my mind as the best one. I appreciate GLP Maltese Falcon and Odissey, that I find more enjoyable and round than this. But this still is a good and rough almost pure Latakia island for Pirates!

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I have carefully read the reviews to get an idea, and I thank everyone for the excellent guidance and advice.

It has not been a nasty surprise this buy, otherwise. I agree with many of the previous reviews that have described sensations, taste and flavor to the extent that I myself find.

Say no more, but something that seems really important, this mixture has smoke very slowly, leaving cool as possible, but it is not difficult to smoke.

Who would you recommend it? Surely only a real lover of Latakia!

Leslie Blane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leslie Blane (6)
Mild None Detected Full Very Strong

This was my staple tobacco for a number of years. I took it up after having given up the pipe for a decade or so, took it up again, and wanted to recapture the intensity of the Balkan blend I used to smoke in my university days. Somehow, none of the blends I tried hit the spot, offering only a mere tantalizing hint of the Latakia pungency that I was after. With the benefit of hindsight, I suspect that memory had concentrated what had probably been the modest Latakia content of the Balkan I was trying to rediscover simply because it was the most sharply distinguishable component of the mixture and such a novelty when I first started smoking Balkans.

Be that as it may, I was fixated on finding the ultimate Latakia fix and when I started ordering from C&D, I worked my way through several less Latakia-heavy blends until I reached Pirate Kake. At which point, even I had to admit that this was as intense flavor-wise as anything I had ever smoked.

Needless to say, the Latakia dominates from beginning to end, but it is not entirely one-dimensional. I think I smoked PK as regularly and for as long as I did because it does reveal subtle flavor-facets over the course of both a single smoke and repeated smokes. Once you are habituated to it, you are pleasantly surprised from time to time by the sweetness that comes through, possibly as an artifact of your palate adjusting to the overwhelming flavor of the Latakia. At other times, you may also detect an almost perfumy fragrance, possibly a synaesthetic hallucination. There's something about the experience that's like drinking neat tea.

This is a blend I've since left behind but of which I have fond memories.

PS: I've rated it mild because nicotine-wise it has no perceptible kick.

ProfessorBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfessorBrown (7)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Good stuff. At one point in my life I would have run from a blend as robust as this. A gentleman was smoking this at the tobacco shop I frequent and I was shocked at how strong the smell was. It stank. But it is strange how the strong aroma of Latakia will start to grow on you.

After trying a few Latakia blends I thought I might be up to the task of trying this tobacco. I should never have waited so long to try it! Its a great product. It burns cool, rich tasting smooth flavor and a delightful smokey aroma. C&D got it right with this one.

four stars.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Strong

Arr . . . Pirate Kake is a kickass Latakia blend. The presentation is great (two small bricks per 2 ounces), and the aroma in the tin permeates the room before the pipe is even loaded, leaving no surprises about what's in store. This one will leave some charcoal-like residue on your fingers after handling.

I love this stuff: It's rich and stout with a dash of sweetness -- and of course, it delivers a cannonade of smoky Latakia goodness. After reading some of the reviews, I was expecting a monodimensional Lat Bomb, but I was pleasantly surprised at its relative complexity; the burley and Turkish helps it maintain my interest and I actually enjoy this rustic style more than many other full English blends. It's really an American English on steroids -- a juiced-up Engine 99.

PK pairs exceptionally well with Cognac or other amber spirits. (After several subsequent pairings, you'll also feel pickled and smoked yourself.) PK also delivers a pleasant dose of nicotine, and can be a bit mouth-numbing, as reported.

This one's an outdoor smoke, as you've probably surmised. It was winter in the MidAtlantic when I wrote this, so I can't vouch for its capabilities as a mosquito repellent. However, I can assert confidently that it is a wife (and daughter) repellent, so proceed cautiously (or strategically).

Recommended for all me hardy mates.

Abeus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Abeus (2)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Having wanted to go for a really heavy blend I decided I'd give it a try. Being mostly interested in English blends this really satisfied my love of latakia. I would recommend letting it dry for perhaps twenty minutes after breaking it up as the bars can be very moist.

Once I got it going I found it to be packed with flavor right from the get go. Powerful, smooth and very rich. Sweet taste and slight reminiscence of coconut. It can be a bit tough to get lit though. This is a real acquired taste.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This review will be simple. If you don't really like Latakia this will not change your mind. Please don't buy it and then tell everyone it's crap.

On the other hand if you like heavy Latakia blends then this may be for you. It is not the smoothest and certainly not the roughest but it is full of flavor and delicious in my opinion. The flavor remains constant with little or no nuances about to happen during the smoke. My wife likes the smell of this tobacco the best of all the tobacco I have, your wife probably won't. This not Old Ironsides of any version it may be better to some and not quite as good to others but if you like OI I can't imagine you not liking this stuff. It is what it is and I enjoy it every time I choose it. I give this 4Stars because it does not pretend to be anything but what it is. Penzance is good but it has no taste next to this. You have been warned.

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (8)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this for the first time today. It is absolutely exquisite. Smooth, super tasty. I only wish this was available in flake form as opposed to the two plugs I received as part of my sampler pack. This is my first C&D blend to try. I'll have to smoke more, but I've found my new favorite at the moment. Superb!

Update 06/29/10: Been smoking this on and off for the last six plus months. It gets better with a little age. I can't get over how smooth it is. Smokes cool, lights easy, the latakia/cavendish/turkish blend is astonishing, I taste every component, but since it was pressed they are in such a harmonious balance. I can particularly taste the cavendish cut burley when I exhale through the nose.

The great thing about smoking a bowl of this is that it's the same through- out. Very consistent smoke. As other reviews state, it is not for the light Latakia smoker, I believe this in on par with many other Latakia heavy blends, if not heavier. I've smoked this and C&D's DaVinci, another Latakia heavy offering (not pressed, however). And, I almost prefer this one, DaVinci's flavor profile is more complex compared to Pirate Kake. I suppose it depends on your mood when smoking it.

The only downside I've found to this blend is the mouth-drying effect it has. I have to have a cup or two or three of coffee (or something stronger) with a bowl of this stuff. Other than that, I believe this to be the perfect blend for true lover's of Latakia, it showcases the rich, velvety, smokey, slightly sweet, delectability of Latakia, while offering a robust, yet silky smooth, full smoking experience. I take back ever wanting it as a broken flake, I love the ritual of breaking chunks off the black bricks and rubbing them out individually.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

UPDATE 11-18-2009: I'm afraid I must contradict my own recent review of Pirate Kake. Perhaps in future I'll give a blend a bit more time for me to discover all it offers. Pirate Kake is definitely a blend which begs to be smoked out-of-doors. After initially trying this in a narrow billiard for the first two-three bowls smoked in an enclosed area, I tried it in a couple wider gauge pipes, a Custombilt with a more conical burn chamber and a BBB Two Thousand with a similar, though smaller bowl, out on my rear deck. There, in the breeze, this tobacco really displayed probably what it was meant to be - a wonderfully tasty Latakia based press. The "Ham Bone" aspect disappeared. My wife, 60 feet away doing some gardening remarked how nice this smelled. Go figure. I even caught some orange notes amid the smoky coolness. We all know that to us Cyprus is famous for its Latakia, but I must wonder if this one is not prepared over orange wood fires (orange orchards being another forte of Cyprus). It still made my tongue slightly numb, but then so does a shot of Mezcal, and I don't avoid that spirit. My dwindling two ounce sample will be replaced shortly with a larger purchase. 3 Stars, at the least.

Original post: I bought two ounces of this "because it was there", on the shelf at El Fumador and I had not tried it. I had thought to contrast it with McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan (acknowledging differences between a ribbon vs. a pressed product). It was a little difficult to rub out and properly pack and a good light took some effort. In pipelore, this IS an "L-bomb" to be sure. After a couple of minutes of gentle drawing my mouth became very dry and so I put the pipe down and went back into my house to get a glass of home vinted pear wine -slightly sweet - to quench the fire. Upon returning to my sun porch I was struck with the room note: as smoky as if one had spent all night tending a charcoal fire preparing a Carolina Pig Pickin'. Heavy smoke. The wine helped me get through the bowl. In the pipe it was hard to discern the accompanying tobaccos from the Latakia. McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan with it's Syrian Latakia presents a different experience with it's heavy Latakia yielding a very cool smoke - so cool one could think the blend is topped with menthol. Pirate Kake, on the other hand, it pure Cyprian smokiness without the coolness. If any ever wondered what Dunhill's My Mixture #10 was like, this is it sans cavendished Virginias. To the Latakia lover this should be a delight. I enjoy English blends in general but this is a bit over the top for me. On my rating scale 3 stars denotes recommendation with my intention to repurchase sometime in future. 4 stars denotes actual repurchase or intent to do so as soon as possible. 2 Stars is tepid recommendation denoting some value but not likely to buy again. Pirate Kake rates 2 stars.

Update 6/14: I had upped the rating on this to 3 stars a while ago as I began to appreciate it more when I smoked in as a leisurely, late night smoke, and not as a daylong choice. Today I must up the ante yet again as I have reloaded my supply and am adding it to long term inventory plans.

Purchased From: El Fumador - Sewickley, PA.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

70 % latakia ...that should tell you something . like alot of C and D it's pretty dry . If you dig latakia alot ...try it . If you're noty crazy about Lat Boimbs ...run.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Here I am smoking this blend out of a Nording 2008 woodcock, sitting in my office reflecting on past bird hunting excursions and dreaming about the seasons ahead. This blend always takes me to the fall season in Michigan, no matter what time of year. With glorious color changes, leaves falling, and watching one of my German Shorthairs lock up on point on a grouse or a plump woodcock trying to remain undetected. This is definitely a blend for the Latikia follower, or one looking to escape reality for an hour or so. Sometimes I find myself puffing like a freight train, I just cannot get enough of this blend in one bowl! I would not call this blend monochromatic like some have, as the flavor is somewhat complex at first, but it does tend to level out afterwards. Also a great retirement smoke, after spending a day in the upland woods chasing the king of game birds, the ruffed grouse. Pairs great with a nicely aged tawny port, or a Macallan Cask Strength.

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Pirate Kake is what it is- a no apology latakia laden blend. I've gone through two ounces and while halfway through I ordered two more eight ounce tins. I absolutely love this stuff; it is smooth, dark, full and creamy. The taste on the palate apparently does not translate as far as room aroma; my wife does not much care for the aroma but she does not complain, bless her heart. I also love the sharp tangy latakia odor that is left on my clothes or hand - Pirate Kake is one of those blends I enjoy as my last pipe of the day (usually while in my pajamas and reading a book); I revel in the lingering latakia odor clinging to my hands and hair when I finally go to bed. While for me Penzance is for special occasions, Pirate Kake is the perfect last smoke of the day for every day. I don't believe it has much in the way of nicotine and I would imagine that it is the cavendish cut burley that gives it the dark and full flavor. Pirate Kake has a steady latakia impact throughout the bowl and burns down to a fine gray ash - no dottle and very little moisture if smoked slowly. Highly recommended for those that heartily enjoy latakia, like I do.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Strong

The good: This is fun stuff with its astonishing black brick of tobacco, and the initial taste upon light up is a wonderful, rich & intense, smokiness.

But it goes south after that, being too one-dimensional. After the first 1/3 it actually becomes boring. Pirate?s Kake is a tease that ultimately leaves one unsatisfied. Might be a great smoke after a meal when you are rushed for time and have a small bowl pipe handy. But even then?

I disagree strongly with those who say Latakia is strong, and there in lies the trouble here. The Latakia is rich & smooth, lacking the strength, intensity, and complexity to keep it interesting. Nicotine content is low.

Moisture level is perfect right out of the brick, rub-out is easy, and it burns properly. Any drying, IMHO, would lessen the wonderful smokiness, which is the star attribute here.

I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based. Pirate?s Kake does not measure up. But I give it credit for it?s unique presentation and the courage to produce it at all. For it IS a fun and unique tobacco.

Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Very Strong

So well named? Blackbeard at his best!!!!! This stuff is just a sweet, smokey, Latakia and makes no pretense about it. Way too much for my taste, while I had taste smoking this sample. And that's the problem. It is delicious. It is rich. it is full. It is too much, after a few minutes of it my senses numbed. I also had trouble keeping it lit, and it was not the easiest to rub out from the rock hard cake bar it comes in. It had a high moisture content as well. I think if I had bought this in any quantity it would be a great blender with a dryer, easier burning, simple burley. A little would go a long way. The Latakia used in this is top notch however and had a great taste.

Memsys Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Memsys (8)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Very Strong

Two words describe this offering from C&D, Latakia Bomb! As I worked my way through a two ounce tin I could not help but wonder if this was created on a dare.

I love the presentation, two little coal black bricks of latakia doom. Patiently waiting to wreak your wife's opinion of pipe smoking in the house.

Pirate Kake is a good smoke IF you love latakia. If not I will be happy to take it off your hands. Its not an everyday smoke but is a great go to when in need of a latakia fix.

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Awash in Latakia! nothing subtle here, but very smooth. I like to smoke this mid afternoon with a good cup of skunky coffee.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is by far the most ham-handed blend I've ever tried. In fact, it isn't fit to be called a blend at all since it is the same as smoking straight latakia, not a blend of different tobaccos. The turkish and burley add nothing. It is impossible to keep lit. After a few minutes, my taste buds become overwhelmed and I can't taste anything.

I suppose there are those who just can't get enough latakia who will like it, just as there are those who put an entire bottle of ketchup on their food.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A Latakia blast similar to the ones which built the Hoover dam. Actually Latakia on its own is quite cool and smooth; however, monochromatic.

This is a cousin to the now defunct Old Ironsides . . . sigh. With Ironsides being lighter; far more creamier and nuttier, yet just a cool and long lasting. Pirate kake is quite a bit sharper and overwhelming if you smoke it too fast. I would leave it for an end of the evening smoke. Midday and your palate could be shot for quite awhile, perhaps until tomorrow or the day after.

It takes a bit of patience to light, but once it gets going it lasts for a very long time. Surprisingly the nicotine content is not that high, mind you Latakia on its own is no Howitzer either.

All in all, a different and unique pipe smoking experience; it will not be in the regular rotation, and I would not seek out again. There are too many others which I enjoy more.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

This is the latakia bomb of all time here. I mean that in the best possible sense.

I had smoked samples from friends and a small tin of this in the past but waited to review until I could get a pound to start on just to see consistency from tin to bulk.

I picked up the last vacuum sealed 1 lb brick C&D had today at the local show here in va. It looked like a huge beef jerky or something in the vacuum bag. This is a true crumble cake. Looks like a piece of asphalt or something. One inch thick and 5 X 10 inches wide and long. I know that makes some of you drool to think of a piece that big.

Since in bulk I broke it into three big pieces and put it in a mason jar. Upon cutting the bag the latakia aroma permeated the room and my nose. This is serious stuff for serious smokers. There is a dash of cavendish in there but just to smooth it a little. So full flavored but with no hint of bite. This is probablly one of the smoothest blends despite it's overall strength there is.

This is ready to go right off the brick. Crumbles up real nice. Packs like a dream. A little air time helps but on a good dry day you can get by without it. A little drying helps the taste a little and keeps your pipe dry.

I will be calling the Tarler's and ordering more sometime soon whatever the cost. They are nice folks from NC I feel good about buying from.

I reccomend this to someone looking for the strongest possible dose of latakia. If you are new to the pipe this would be a good way to sample where strong english begins. I would not reccomend it as a first smoke but after a month or so give it a shot. I don't think you could find a fuller tasting blend that is this smooth and soft on the tongue.

This offers a nice contrast to the G.L. Pease balkans I smoke like abingdon, kensington, caravan, and so on. While keeping the flavor and satisfaction in my smokes.

The nicotine will not knock you out but it is there and persistent. Not a rush but a steady buzz- nice in this dept.

This is a sit down and do nothing else but smoke tobacco. Great for late night or cool/cold weather smoking. Highly reccomended.

Update: Still a great blend but I decided it was not quite up to the 4 star level- perhaps I was feeling too generous when I reviewed initially. A very solid 3 though.

Schwetty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schwetty (15)
Medium Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I have just finished my first tin of Pirate Kake, and feel like I'm in love! This stuff is fantastic with a very rich latakia taste and a elegant plume of white fragrant smoke. It is very similar to Old Ironsides but just a bit lighter in body.

I tried this blend which came recommended by my tobacconist, knowing that Old Ironsides is discontinued, and soon will be impossible to aquire. No need to worry because we have a winner for Latakia lovers.

The pressed cakes are good looking, somewhat moist and tightly pressed. The tin aroma is that of hay in a barn. Not bad, just different. The cakes are easy to break apart and rub out nicely. Lighting is relatively easy with maybe two to three additional lights after the charring light.

Pirate Kake will fool you with its robust and hearty taste. There is a relatively low nicotine content in this blend. I cant seem to tolerate the nicotine rush associated with the more fuller bodied tobaccos.

The taste is a rich, creamy, smooth almost minty flavor with latakia dominating the senses. The orientals make a nice showing with a nice spicy finnish. I think what balances out this blend is the use of burleys. The smoke is abundant with each puff, and I guess some would probably find offensive. It reminds me of a fireplace burning in the wintertime, and brings back fond memories. This is an ideal evening, or after dinner smoke.

I would HIGHLY recommend this blend to anyone who wants a latakia fix in a smooth, light english presentation. I plan to keep several tins on hand. Another winner from C&D. Four of four stars.

I will gladly "walk the plank" with this pirate anytime!

awt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
awt (15)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is one of the very best tobacco I have ever smoked. Latakia in capital letters, but smooth, evenly burning, never to harsh. Leaves Penzance (also 5 stars) a mile behind. Has a strong room note but loved by everybody had the "luck" to experience it. I would not suggest it to an unexperienced mainly aromatics smoker but...if you enjoy classic english mixtures or perhaps good dark flakes do not miss it. Leaves my pipes dry as a bone. Beautiful gray ash. Easy smoking. My suggestion, as always, smoke it slowly,very slowly in little medium vintage pipes . A taste of old England! What a smoke! Psst...don't tell anybody ;). __________ must downgrade to 3 stars due to certain dullness after some tins smoked, or maybe compared to Penzance. Still very good.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (68)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like latakia, this is the one for you. Almost nothing but latakia but nicely laced with cavendish and some Turkish. Love the pressed bricks that lie waiting in the can when it is opened. Rubs out well and makes a very smooth smoke. Usually I do not think I would like such a heavy latakia blend but this is good. Couldn't smoke it all day or even on a dialy basis but certainly go for the occasional or more than ocassional latakia blast that one is looking for. I like it...bit heavy for those in the same room if they don't like latakia but nice when one is alone.

Revised: This is especially good when one has spent a week away from home and latakia blends. Very full and satisfying. Again, not an everyday smoke but fantatic when one is latakia deprived.

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)
Medium None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Amazingly smooth and heavenly delicious! Superb taste and smell! This is THE blend for the latakia lover!

bronxbill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bronxbill (10)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like Latikia, but this may be just a bit over the top for me. I find that by the time I get to the last 1/3 of the bowl, I'm on overload. This is definitely a blend that calls out for a small bowled pipe and gentle smoking. As an occasional smoke it's ok, but when I finish the tin I probably will not purchase more. As the write up says, you must really, really like Latikia to enjoy this blend.

DownSouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DownSouth (8)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

A very nice blend indeed, assuming you like Latakia of course! A C&D pressed tobacco, it rubs and packs easily. I find the first 1/3 of the bowl a bit harsh and smokey, but then it settles down into a rich creamy smoke that is on par with Penzance in my book. I Highly recommend this blend to all latakia lovers!

berger_ar_fur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
berger_ar_fur (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant

this one is a big one , with strengh and interesting flavours , it needs a quiet ambiance to aassess its extent ; one of my favorites

miracleman83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miracleman83 (13)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another great C&D english. I love the kake format, and will buy more. I have one on hand aging, but will wait for another purchase to get another tin going. Again, I cannot imagine an english lover not liking this C&D english.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Very Strong

If you want to get your wife out of the hose but she refuses, light up a bowl of Pirate Kake. This is one of the strongest Latakia blends I have ever smoked. The smell of burned wood and leather is very evident from the tin. It may be strong enough that you might want to store it in the garage so it does not influence your tobacco collection. The tobacco lights easily and stays lit well too. The flavors are mostly Latakia, Latakia and a little spice from the Turkish tobaccos. The smoke is velvety and soft the punch is strong. This blend is one for the manly men and only to be enjoyed amongst other Latakia lovers. The only heavy latakia blend I like better is CAO old ironside.

1968Billy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1968Billy (13)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I definately recommend Pirate Cake, although my experience is limited with this blend. First, I was delighted upon opening to find a pressed cake. Dark and rich looking, begging to be smoked. Takes a while to get it going. Watch out,if smoked too fast you will get a big punch. Tastes like a Maduro wrapped Pardon. With complexities of smoke covering your taste buds. Smoked well with liquor, and savored slowly, it has properties that could easily gain 4 stars. Very complex tobacco that I'm glad I have more to sample!

Fumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumeur (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This one didn't work for me. While a love the flavor of Latakia, and have been seeking a good, rich near-pure Latakia flavor, I found this to be bitey and unpleasant, and it tasted like it had some overly moist Virginia in it, even though it apparently doesn't have any. This leaves my mouth feeling bitten for a day or two afterwards.

Still looking.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Very Full Very Strong

As a person who likes just about all styles and blends, I purchased a 'brick' of this stuff simply to see what the extreme end of the Latakia spectrum was like. As a previous reviewer mentioned...it's a drinkin' Jack Daniels feelin' dangerous type of tobacco. Not for the faint of heart, and definitely one to smoke when no one else is around. It gets one dimensional thru the bowl, in that Latakia dominates the experience and ultimately numbs the senses too much.

I currently add 25% Pirate Kake to Lane's Rum and Maple. It's become my absolute favorite smoke.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

As the description above notes, ??.LOTS of exceptional Latakia? and ?This is the blend for the Latakia lover.? Truer words have never been written. It is also an understatement. I like latakia but this blend goes above and beyond. My smokes started off pleasant enough, especially after a full meal, but the large amount of latakia slowly pummeled me. By mid bowl I thought I was smoking granulated road tar ? not good. It was overwhelming! In my opinion, this is a ?small bowl? blend and an occasional one, at that. Pirate Kake may best be utilized as a blending tobacco. If the ratings here at tobaccoreviews were based on letters of the alphabet instead of stars, I would give this ?Pirate? an ?Arrrrrggggh!?

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 7.2 out of 10.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

I like Latakia. I like burley. I like them when they're blended together. But this is just TOO much. In fact, it's so much that after about two minutes into a bowl, I'm no longer capable of tasting ANYTHING, including the latakia. Currently, I'm using this as a blending agent in place of straight latakia. On the positive side: the "cut" (or presentation) of this cake tobacco is superb.

Tin Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

Yowza!!! Slipped a nother cob into the arsenal yestiddy. Broke her in with my tongues? maiden voyage on Pirate Kake. Okay, Have you every chewed on a bit of boot leather? Well, Pirate Kake brings back fond memories of mother dear stewing daddy?s boots in the hard winter of ?78. Salty leather about sums it up. No, that isn?t a bad thing! Tobacco is all about unique taste experiences, and the worst part of eating leather is swallowing it, which is remarkably mitigated in smoke form. Smooth and creamy may seem incompatible with aformentiond sensations, but somehow it isn?t with Pirate Kake. And it makes my beard smell really cool afterwords. Very Piratey. GArrr!! There is this faint sense of a very dark chocolate that drifts through at times, so this stuff is not without occasional subtleties. But on the whole, about as delicate as a horse pistol in the ribs and a genteel invitation to walk the plank. Not something I would smoke all day, but outstanding for what it is.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Very Strong

salted leather. . .faint musk of slaves, hmmm appetizing, I'd like to smoke me some o that. Well, I have to admit, Latakia and Turkish tobaccos smell, well, yeah maybe like the musky lather of a salted slave. I'm paraphrasing here, but I don't have a better description of this aroma. ok, campfire and dead trees works for me, too.

This cake is Very smooth. And at $25 a pound this is a marvel of modern, um. . . musk. seriously, if you even think you like Latakia, try this.

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

For the Latkia fan, its a must. I found that rubbing it out gave me the smoke I wanted and took away some of the haggardness of the rum smell. Once I broke off a chunk, rubbed it out and let it sit a day or two; boy does it have a great spicey hearth fire scent!

It takes a few lights to get going (possibly my own fault) but, once its underway, it goes fine all on its own with minimal fuss and the flavor is latkia spicy creaminess that is very strong. I'd recommend packing half a bowl as even after you are done latkia will saturate your very being with creamy smoke scent. This is cologne in a pipe (in a good way).

I smoke this after lunch in the office when I want to recharge the brain without too much of a nicotine fry ( nicotine strength is medium). As everyone here says, its definitely a whim smoke (not your regular) and for the latkia fans. I tried to smoke this once while sitting at the bar.........needless to say I had to switch; no one likes its room scent except other latkia fans.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Love this stuff. This was the 1st time I understood "creamy" as a description for smoking. Exhale through the nose, and thats it. Taste is a bit like a cigar for me. Very ascertive, and smoky. Puff too fast and you'll think the plank is a runway...Great Stuff. Also a great mixer- See my C&D review of Jamaican Rum. *5/30: Well- Seems tastes change- Latakias a little strong for me now, and I think I like it better as a side dish, rather than main course.Still quality stuff though.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Extra Full Very Strong

I have smoked about 7 oz. of this strange blend. Let me tell you "Deadmen tell no tales..." I recommend it only because nothing compares it. NOTHING. the 75% latakia will stomp you; like being taken prisoner by blackbeard himself. This is not an all day smoke. this is a once-in-a-while-I-have-been-drinking-Jack Daniels-kinda of smoke.So when you feeling ten feet tall and bullet proof or you are at odds with the mrs. or uyou are at the nearest biker bar, pack a good size bowl and light up the cannons. Warning this has been described to me as smelling like "cats that being lit on fire"

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

if you liked 1792 but found iy just past your comfort level strengthwise the you should give this flavorful, after dinner smoke a try. i have found this one to be better if smoked only from time to time, and not as a good daily smoke, as more than one bowl in a day leaves the mouth unable to taste anything else for several hours.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was able to sample this wonderful latakia nougat bar at the recent Chicago Pipe Show. The nice people (esp. Pam) at Cornell & Diehl gave me several free samples of this luscious pressed latakia blend. It's tones are not as deep as Old Ironsides or as complex and earthy as Penzance, but it's definitely a rich treat for the latakia lover. It's almost what I had hoped Nightcap would've been. I love how C & D presses the mixture into bite-sized chunks almost good enough to eat. They're almost like little bars of hashish, which of course, I never inhaled. Having not tried many C & D products, after meeting them and sampling PK and a few others, I'm now a fan. Arghhhh, me likes dar Pirate Kake me duz!

Three and a half of five stars ----------------- Xmas 05 update

Found another chewy block of this magnificent cake at the great Jack's Tobacco Shop in Milwaukee. This is definitely one of my desert island choices. It puts other heavy latakia mixtures, even Penzance and Old Ironsides to shame. The block has been sitting for awhile again, as the plastic appears to have yellowed. Breaking off pieces of this luscious, indulgent cake, rubbing it out and preparing it in the pipe is half the fun. The aroma is immense, the taste surreal. Pirate Kake is one incredible tobacco; unique in all the world. Yes, this is Black Frigate without the rum; sans the liquor the flavor is more resonant & articulated. All the devotion to Nightcap ought to be transferred to PK, because this is what a deep,rich English ought to taste like. Let them try Kake and they'll abandon blends they thought were pinnacle. This is not a tobacco for the neophyte but for the latakia fiend who wants full-bodied spice, depth and complexity in their smoke. Rich, ever-changing as it burns, long-lasting and cool, PK is one of Craig Tarler's grandest accomplishments, the stuff of tobacco dreams!

Five of five stars ------------ march 06 update

Still great within its genre.......however, and a big however it is, it tends to get overwhelming and is almost too much of a great thing. Pack it in a small bowl, because if you smoke too much of it, it will overwhelm your taste buds and you will be racing to the finish line. Also, clean the pipe after each use, as this stuff will lead a silty residue. Still great stuff, but only for once in awhile, like after a charred steak dinner, or for when the urge for something immense and overpowering is desired.

Three and a half of five stars

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

There are latakia blends, there are heavy latakia blends and then........there's Pirate Kake. No less than 70% of the dark smokey leaf goes into this blend, an amazing amount. Many tobaccos with half as much bill themselves as "heavy" blends. Pirate Kake comes pressed, probably to get the Turkish and burley to combine with the Latakia's smokey flavor. It's not entirely a successful marriage, as the Latakia completely dominates its' partners. I like to smoke PK in a large bowled pipe, usually my big Striker billiard. It's not unusual to get a two hour smoke out of this combination. PK is also a late night tobacco for me, my last smoke of the day. For a while I drifted away from the Smokey One, as my taste buds craved more complex blends. These days, however, I find a little solo note in a tobacco to be OK at times. Three stars for PK.

Update 01/19/06- One thing that wasn't put in my original review is that Pirate Kake is a wonderful DGT tobacco, in fact sometimes I think I prefer to smoke it after a few hours left in the pipe. It seems to mellow the Latakia a bit, taking the edge off slightly and making it a little creamier. I still rate it at three stars, and worth your consideration if you're into heavy English blends.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

If Nightcap is Wagnerian, this is a brass band. Loud and exhilerating in small doses but difficult to live with on a sustained basis. The orientals are drowned by the Latakia and the burley, apart from mitigating the burnt cork taste of pure Latakia, does little. An occasional excess has its place in life, and Pirate Kake is an excess.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

The taste of salted leather. The faint musk of slaves rowing in the galley below deck. Burning pyres to the ancient Sumerian gods in Babylon.

All these come to mind when smoking the kake. An enjoyable time except for the musk of the galley!

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

This is latakia³. There's nothing wrong with this tobacco except for the overwhelming amount of latakia.

The latakia that Craig uses does have it's own unique taste and room note for whatever reason.

I just don't like this much latakia in my pipe at one time. PK smokes smooth and has no bad qualities if you're a latakia junkie. There's not much subtle about this blend and it starts like it finishes.

Latakia itself doesn't carry much strength so if you're looking for a nicotine wallop then you won't find it here. The overwhelming sensory overload of so much latakia might make some believe that there is "strength" in this mixture. Thus the medium rating.

If you want to try something interesting (and I'm sure that you do) then mix this about half and half with Captain Black White.

Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

This is Ambrosia for the Latakia lovers of the world. IMHO better than Penzance. Absolutely luscious! I usually smoke Black Frigate and this is just a wonderful change of pace for me. I believe this is the same blend as BF sans the rum. An outstanding 4 of 4 Latakia stars. A must for all Latakiaphiles!

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Pressed tobacco blends are among my favorites for taste and this blend is no exception. Yes, it is for the latakia affectionato but there is so much else going on in this one. The note is brighter and more lively than others,which serves to create it's own bold, lusty personality. I smoke this whenever I desire to be entertained within a fast moving panorama of almost familiar sensations that build not to a climax and quiet farewell, but just keep rolling on as a caravan that one has disembarked. Comparisons are almost always inadequate and mistakenly imply some presumtion of superiority. This burns well and maintains my attention from beginning to end. No pretense is made about subtle reflections but instead, a robust presentation of flavors that complement one another well. There is no delicate inference of pleasures to be detected but instead, a well balanced presentation of players that compliment each other on a stage of pleasure. Yes, there are others - not better, simply different. I recommend this blend without any reservation. The scent from the open bag makes promises that are kept. Four stars and full sail ye swabs.

Meerschaum Man,smoking a 20 yr old CAO Bacchus

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I'm a big latakia fan, but this was even too much for me. Worth a try if you love the dark stuff, but be careful with it - it can knock you back.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Latakia, Latakia, Latakia let me go.

Fantastic stuff for the latakia fan. It's got full-on flavor and is comprised of quality leaf. While it lacks the subtle complexity of Esoterica's "Penzance," PK delivers a lovely, creamy, cool smoke that leaves amazing flavors on the palate.

An 8 oz. tin provides four bricks of crumbly, rich black tobacco with a few random flakes of lighter orientals here and there. The bars rub out easily enough, and the moisture content is almost right for smoking straight out of the tin, though 20 minutes of drying time doesn't hurt.

This is as close, however, to cigar smoke as the wife will tolerate, as the room note can be cutting and a little acrid.

PK is an everyday affair for me, and it could be an all-day affair for many. I usually enjoy it earlier in the day and save the Penzance for later in the day after tea or dinner.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

This is taking condimental overload to the extreme. I am a Latakia lover, and have from time to time smoked straight latakia and turkish, but this may be too much. The smoke is heavy and rich and leaves wherever you are smelling like a campfire. I do enjoy this from time to time, but it is not really that great of an achievment in tobacco blending. The single clarion note LATAKIA is all you get. This would be good broken up and mixed with an overly tangy red virginia.

Luke_Wyatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Luke_Wyatt (7)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable

An english blend from the gods. Made from several high quality latakias including syrian and cyprian. A very full bodied and strong blend not for the mild smoker. Wonderful pressed cake is just right for the cellar and aging. Delicious flavors mend together and form a smooth, rich English blended by the tobacco gods themselves.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Pirate Cake is simply an infusion of Latakia. But not just any Latakia. This is primo condemental that is extremely smooth and creamy with smoke so thick you can eat it. Even Penzance is not as creamy as the Latakia used in PC.

The included Turkish is also very high quality and the perfect compliment. While the cavendish cut burley does not contribute to the taste in any way, it gives this blend a smooth, cool and even burn. The sheer quality of the condementals and the lack of virginia is what sets this blend very far apart from many of the other popular latakia heavy favorites in the Brotherhood of Latakia Junkies.

4 out of 4 rock solid stars!

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Ahoy! As subtle as a cannon shot full o' nails and cast iron! A blast o' latakia smoke and sweetness that never gives quarter. So many of me maties have given a good review - I'll squander no more of yer time. But if you love the rich, black leaf you'll be jolly at the sight, smell and taste o' this kake! you may even be rogered! Avast!

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

12-03-2004 Put away your cutlass' maties!

Appearance and Tin aroma: Nice pressed bricks, a little more moist than I'm used to from C&D. Smells like fine, sweet Latakia

Packing and Lighting: It can be time consuming to crumble, but you must, or this will not light well. 3-4 lights to get going.

Initial Flavor: Latakia! It is smooth, no harshness at all.

Mid-Bowl: The other leaves add their support and give this blend nice body. My latakia fix is getting quite satiated.

Bottom of Bowl: A nice build up of strength, still smooth, not quite as complex as Pease's Abingdon, but nevertheless still delicious.

Overall: This is for those who love Latakia, but want something that brings the best out of that fine leaf. This blend does it excellently! Also, this is a big pipe blend, we're talking Group 6 and beyond. Small pipes just do not do this blend justice. The room note is very cigar like, so be careful or get banished to walk the plank! I much prefer this blend over "Old Ironsides" or "Black Frigate" even though those are also worthy of sea rats and scalowags. Where's my jug o'grog? argh!

Rating: 5 out of 5 big hoop earings and cutlass', Enjoy.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium None Detected Very Full Very Strong

For the Latakia lover who doesn?t care about anything else in the blend, this is probably the blend to get. I use the term ?blend? because it isn?t straight Latakia, but it?s pretty darned close.

A very cool, smooth, and pleasant smoke if you love Latakia. I never really caught the Burley, but that is no big surprise, considering the general nature of Burley. The Cavendish tries now and again, but about all it can seem to muster is to have a slight sweetening effect on the Latakia. It?s one-dimensional, but you don?t smoke Pirate Kake for complexity, you smoke it for a major infusion of Latakia. The Pirates won?t let you down.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I can smoke Latakia in the house. But the room note on this one actually drew comment from my wife. All she said was ?that smells kinda strong.? And this from a lady who smokes Balkan and English blends herself.

I enjoyed Pirate Kake, and when this is gone, I plan on getting more. It will last a long time though, this is more of an occasional smoke. Definitely not an all-day thing, as it would become boring.

Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

A latakia-heavy cake? Must try! Wow, holding in the hands a brick of this extremely dark brown-black blend (no light-colored bits in it!) is a pure joy, a mouth-watering experience that makes a latakia lover like me dream of the moment in which the flame will light the crumbled tobacco in the bowl! Crumbling the cake is easy (but beware, your fingers will become dirty as if you had been playing with the ashes in your fireplace), and soon the flame can release some of the most intense flavor ever offered by a pipe tobacco. It is very strong and spicy, and the latakia is a wonderful presence throughout the bowl. As you progress, the burley makes its presence felt with a note that reminds of baking bread and rounds the harsh edges of the licorice-like (in looks and taste) black weed. Until the bottom of the bowl, it's an explosion of taste! It reminds of the intensity of Old Ironsides, but in my opinion it is slightly less pleasant. It isn't a very sophisticated, subtle or multidimensional tobacco, and it isn't suited for all-day consumption (in spite of the relatively low nicotine content). Nonetheless, it makes for a great after-lunch/dinner smoke. A must for any latakia fan, especially at the great price it is sold in bulk (and the cake form allows you to cellar it without perceivable deterioration). Just beware of the extremely strong room note: while not particularly nasty (unless you hate latakia), its ghost will haunt your house for many days, haunting your house!!!

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

There is power in this kake. Lots of power. I first tried this in a Ser Jacapo LB Maxima Maxima. Let me share with you that upon trying to stand after about a half an hour of smoking, I nearly fell over. So, I sat back down and enjoyed the rest of the bowl! After the room stopped swimming, and the tastebuds recovered, I tried it again in a smaller block. Consistent flavor, good body, and lots of smoke...you can almost chew te stuff! Highly recomended...not for the faint of tounge or heart.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I must say that I was surprised at the smoothness of this blend considering its very high latakia content. I was also surprised at the fact that I got a little bit of complexity out of this blend. The flavors actually varied through out the bowl ranging from smokey to earthy and very lightly sweet. The burn was very cool and consistant and did not require relights. Although this is not a regular smoke for me I will keep some of this around and smoke it on occasion. A must try for the latakia-haulics!

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I just wanted to add my four stars to this terrific blend.

The flavor is smooth and fulfilling. Great for an everyday smoke if you like latakia.

alandp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alandp (5)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

A few weeks ago I rediscovered several ounces of this stuff that I had put away for aging and forgotten about. It has been sitting in my closet for almost exactly 6 years. I had it in a plastic bag that was inside a bail jar. It seemed to have dried out some, so I have tried rehydrating it. Firstly, it has smoothed out quite a lot from the way I remember it. I had forgotten how nice that first blast of latakia is when it's lit. Smoking PK is to the latakia lover something like what I would suspect eating a very dark unsweetened chocolate would be to a lover of that confection. The smoke ripples out of the bowl upon that first light, thick and velvety, so gray that it's almost blue, and the palate is hit with a blast of latakia that some may find overwhelming, but others such as myself simply surrender to. At first puff, you may think this will be a one-dimensional smoke, but soon the latakia smooths off to a very rich, heady, slightly sweet smoke. If you don't like latakia, stay away from it. If latakia is your thing, you absolutely must try this tobacco. It is almost certain to flunk the wife test, and it's very strong room note is possibly best taken outside.

I had forgotten how much I like this stuff, but I still don't consider it one of my regular smokes. I usually prefer my latakia in more moderated dosages, but when I'm in the mood for a good strong latakia, this is the one I fire up. If you want to try this stuff, you should probably put some away for a few years so you can compare the aged stuff to the fresh. I seem to remember the fresher stuff to have a bite to it that is now gone, or maybe my technique has just changed in the last 6 years.

I also use Pirate Kake to soup up other tobaccos that I think would benefit from a little more latakia. And like other heavy latakia blends, this one tends to make me thirsty.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

If you like latakia, you will love this blend. It burns slow and lights easy. I'm partial to Billy Budd myself, but this seems just like the same without the cigar leaf. Both have huge ammounts of latakia. The BB seems to burn better too, for some reason....Enjoy, you huge latakia fans....there's nothing else.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I bought a 1/2 lb of this product mail-order w/o first tasting it, based on its description and its reputation in latakia-addict circles. I was not disappointed.

This bulk tobacco came as one large slab, with sharp-cut edges, like it had been hewn from a monster brick. Its superficial appearance and exotic middle-east aroma had an uncanny resemblance to a block of black Lebanese hashish, at least if my fading memory serves me correctly.

This stuff lives up to its reputation as Latakia Central. The latakia overwhelms the other "trace" ingredients. The turkish hides sheepishly in the shadows and the burley taste (if burley really has a taste) is MIA.

The lack of a virginia component is, IMHO, what sets this blend apart from my other latakia-laden favorites: Old Ironsides and Commonwealth Mixture. The result is a kind of monochromatic, but what a great color! Not much subtlety here folks, so do not come expecting a complex blend. Just beaucoup latakia from beginning to end.

One of my favorite after-dinner, sitting on the porch, watching-the-glaciers-move pipes is a "latakia parfait", constructed thusly:

In a tallish bowl combine first Old Ironsides as broken flakes (bottom third), next crumbled Pirate Kake (middle third), and finally Commonwealth Mixture (top third of bowl). To many, this would be a heresy on the order of combining several single-malt scotches (perish the thought) or good wines. Actually though, the experience is more like eating a parfait rather than a torte- one layer at a time. The taste slowly melds from one blend to the next. Sounds weird maybe, but it is a sublime experience for the latakia lover.

How ever you choose to consume it, PK is a GREAT blend. The fact that you can purchase large quantities at bargain prices is also a plus and encourages big purchases for cellaring purposes. I can hardly wait to see how this tastes a couple of years down the road. I'll have to get more soon, or my aging remnants will not last that long!

Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

I should have reviewed this tobacco long ago. While writing a review for Bow Legged Bear, I was reminded of how much it is akin to this. Although BLB is wonderful in its own right, I have to say that this blend takes the cake. This is the closest thing I have found to Latakia heaven at a bulk price. While I may still prefer some other tinned english tobacs, the price is right for this stuff. It burns cool and delivers latakia flavor like nothing else except perhaps for Penzance. There is tons of thick white smoke, and it really is a lot of fun to light up. The turkish tobacco is the perfect counterpoint to keep this from being a one dimesional smoke, and the burley keeps things very cool. I even find myself occasionaly inhaling this, something I rarely ever do when smoking a pipe. If their is a smoother English out there, I have yet to find it. My only gripe is that I have not had much luck in storing it. I think it loses something over time. I'm sure this has something to do with my humidifying skills, so I usually only buy a couple of ounces at a time. Bottom line: If you love a big dose of Latakia, then run and get some, if you don't this one may change your mind!

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I really wanted to like this tobacco, but I find the heavy latakia blend to be too parching to enjoy regularly. My sample is from 1995 or 1996 and was stored until 2001 without adequate moisture control. The flavor is largely latakia, but not one dimensional, as Old Ironsides is, for me. I have not gone back to it for several months, but it is certainly a must try for the latakia lover.

Too big of a latakia punch for me.

November 2002

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

A must try for the latakia lover . Tasty and full , with excellent pack and burn qualities . A great value in bulk .

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Well, the description states it has LOTS (emphasis theirs) of Latakia, and it does. This is a dark black brick which crumbles into wonderful flakes very easily and is able to be sprinked and packed nicely - a few lighter colored flakes are evident in the crumbling. The nose of the bag is prodigiously Latakia. After the initial char, it takes to a match easily and produces good volumes of velvety textured smoke. As it says, Latakia predominates, but there are some sweet spicy notes making their presence known as well. A few puffs into the bowl, the Latakia smooths out a bit and it is just a great smoke. A few firemen at the fire meeting asked me what died in my pipe - but, for a Latakia lover, this was an incredible blend. It remained smooth and cool throughout while the spiciness of the Turkish and the sweet underpinings of the Cavendish also made their presence known.

If you love Latakia, this is a must try. If you like Latakia, try this anyway as it is exceptionally wondeful example of the fact that a predominantly Latakia blend can be heavenly.

This one has definitely crept aboard ship and stolen my tastebuds! I was always a little leary of the thought of pirates boarding my ship and plundering it - however, if they bring a Kake of this along, I will welcome them aboard!