A smooth, robust blend with lots (75%!) of exceptional latakia accompanied by Turkish and burley, Pirate Cake by Cornell & Diehl is a latakia lover's treasure.

Blended ByCraig Tarler
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 ounce tin, bulk
BnB Tobacco
PipesAndCigars.com
Cup O' Joes
Strength
Taste
Full
Strong

Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Pirate Kake is like a car accident that you can't take your taste buds away from. It rubs out easily and packs with ease too. I like Latakia, but I wouldn't consider myself one that likes it to totally dominate the blend. But it really is a good tasting tobacco. Did I say there was a lot of Latakia in this blend?? It's easy to rub out and smokes coolly. There is also an underlying sweetness to the blend too, especially when sipped slowly. I was expecting it to be one dimensional, but while not complex, it's not boring either. If you like well done, heavy Latakia blends, Pirate Kake fits the bill to a “T”. If you are not a fan of a lot of Latakia, take a pass. Highly Recommended!

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild None Detected Full Very Strong

I suppose that there are people out there for whom there can never be too much Latakia or Perique or Basma, or whatever other condiment we can name. There are also people who like French fries with their ketchup and sushi with their wasabi. To each his own. For me, however, Pirate Kake is nothing short of a ridiculous, unbalanced mess. There is a sort of vague sweetness somewhere in the background, but smoking this is sort of like falling face-first into the moist remains of the campfire you doused the night before while sucking on a charcoal lozenge. Not pleasant.

The little black clump of tobacco you get in the tin is relatively easy to work with, but that's small redemption for the Latakia overload that follows a crumble, a load, and a light. If this were my pirate ration, I'd have tossed myself overboard before the thieving and pillaging even started.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The rich smoky, leathery, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is the star component, comprising 70% of the blend. What keeps this from being a total lat-bomb is the dry, buttery sweet, woody, earthy, moderately spicy Turkish, which is noticeable in every puff. The cavendish cut burley provides a little nuttiness, toast and earth in the background. The nic-hit is medium. The strength level is just shy of the center of medium to full. Won’t bite or get harsh, though there are a couple rough edges here and there. Burns clean, mostly cool and a little slow with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lingering after taste. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

HO-LEEE SMOKES, BATMAN!!! Put your big boy pants on for this one. Latakia heaven.

UPDATE: 12/3/2013 Not just a lat bomb. The oriental component is actually very noticeable. Not quite balanced, but nearly so. Stouter than most of those "late evening" blends and a great way to end the day.

Pipe Used: MM General

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Pressed plug, quite compressed, so I'm not sure I'd call it a kake, but still not as dense and fine as a traditional English plug. The dark and light leaf are easily distinguishable by sight.

This has a very fresh tin aroma, almost perfume like. I agree with earlier reviewers who think this is Syrian latakia. The terpene smell so indicative of Cyprian latakia is almost not there. Still very smoky.

Takes a light well and burns with few relights. The smokiness is front and centre throughout. On the tongue this tobacco is sweet and fresh. An after dinner smoke for me.

Edit 27/9/14. I'm upping this to 4 stars and it's made it into my favourites as well. The satisfaction this baccy gives me is immense. On reflection I doubt the Lat is Syrian either, I was probably confused by the other Orientals.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

A nice Latakia bomb. The mixture is creamy, dry, woodsy and with a lot of peat accents. As an interval, you get some sweetness and more often some sourness, all this in a good way. It's highly recommended for Latakia fanatics or smokers who like their mixtures on the monochromatic side, without too many taste changes during their smoke.

captnmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captnmojo (10)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

As a former cigar smoker this was right up my ally. The generous amount of smokey Latakia (75%) combined with the sweetness of the Turkish and hit of nicotine from the burley really agreed with my taste buds. On opening the tin the aroma reminded me of a warm spring night next to the campfire. Once rubbed out and let to dry for about an hour there was no issues keeping the bowl lit. Taste was consistent. A beautifully smokey taste with a sweet background and almost barn sawdust background note that burnt down to the bottom with a beautiful creamy mouthfeel. Once again C&D is probably my favourite Tobacco company as the blends are spot on and the quality of tobaccos they use seem to be carefully selected and properly kept as far as humidity before blending.

update July 2014** I decided to change the blend type of this tobacco to other primarily because I don't believe it is an English blend due to its high amount of Latakia. Personally in the world of pipe tobacco there should be a blend known as Latakia based, with the "spice tobaccos" added in, which quite a few blends would fall under.

update December 2014** same batch as previous yet the past months of ageing seem to have mellowed out the baccy. Mouthfeel seems a bit more mellow or creamier if you will, while I find less of a spicy tongue bight. Of coarse still a Latakia powerhouse yet smoother on the palate as it gains age. I have smoked through 6oz and have 4 left so we shal see how PK fairs in the next 6 months. All in all what a great smoke...

Pipe Used: Brigham voyageur

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 6 months depending on updates considered

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Extra Strong

If there is such a thing as heaven, for latakia lovers the streets of heaven must be paved with pirate kake. Wow, this sure is a sucker punch in a baggie. This stuff is ridiculously good.

To start let me say that pirate kake is the first tobacco that has ever made my hands look like that of a mechanic. After rubbing a chunk of this smoky ambrosia out it looks like I repair diesel trucks for a living. All that oily goodness ends up on your hands.

For all that oily leaf this blend smokes remarkably well. Very few relights, and is just heavenly. It is incredibly complex considering the fact that this stuff is the equivalent of putting a freight train in your pipe. The flavor is strong, and I mean get tennis elbow brushing your teeth but your still going to taste it two days after strong. It also is not much of a crowd- pleaser in terms of room note. My usually very lenient significant other told me not only to kindly leave the house, but leave the county before I smoke this blend again. That being said, this stuff is good enough to drive to the next state to enjoy.

Coming in bulk as it does it is a good value, and based on the oil content I bet this blend would be perfect for coloring up a nice shiny new meer. Its just good, kick your taste buds in the butt good, but its good. I highly recommend it.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Compared to other Latakia-rich mixtures, I found Pirate Kake to be a flavorful yet monochromatic smoke. This blend is a perfect example of how tobacco mixtures can be full flavored but still fall flat due to lack of nuance & slight to moderate shifts in complexity.

I enjoy latakia immensely. So much so, that I feel it’s only fair to profess that Pirate Kake has a number of admirable attributes that fellow latakiaphiles will most certainly applaud. For instance, there’s plenty, and I mean “plenty” of dark luscious latakia leaf here. It burns surprisingly well for a big latakia mixture and it smokes so cool you’ll wonder if your pipe is even lit. Pirate Kake is very smooth and it produces copious amounts of fragrant smoke with consistent flavor. These traits usually go a long way towards making for an excellent tobacco mixture, but Pirate Kake just doesn’t quite do it for me.

In my opinion, Pirate Kake is missing the added character, or that little bit of something extra that's needed to elevate it to the status of other top-shelf blends in its class. Pirate Kake does have a rich smoky flavor, but it lacks the compelling subtleties of blends like Odyssey, Penzance and Lagonda. It does have a slight spiciness to it, but it's missing the punchiness of Ten Russians, the depth of Bill Bailey’s Balkan, and the spicy sweet subtleties of Plum Pudding. When put up against any of these blends, even C&D's Star of the East, Pirate Kake just isn't as interesting.

This C&D offering does at the very least beg one question. How much latakia is too much? Frankly, I am not sure, but I do know that somewhere this one crosses the line.

Pipe Used: various briar

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

A friend sent me a large sample of Pirate Kake a few months ago. It looked so strong and foreboding in the pouch that I refrained from whittlin' a chunk for quite some time. My Boy Scout knife was recently located but I really didn't need it. This powerful, Latakia laden stuff breaks up easily.

Pirate Kake is distantly similar in taste to CAO's Old Ironsides, but the Latakia content here is much more overwhelming. I really tried to like the taste, but not being a regular consumer of Latakia, I found that exotic leaf to be simply "over the top" in this instance.

The best way to describe the taste is by saying that if someone stuffed a salty piece of old leather in a pipe and set fire to it, you'd be smoking something akin to Pirate Kake. This blend burns slowly and is exceptionally cool. Remember to use a pipe reserved for Latakia blends, too.

Badmedicine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badmedicine (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Ok folks, this is what it is. I can't truly call it an English blend (even a Lat-Bomb English), but I like what it does. The focus here is Latakia- pungent, peaty, slightly briny Latakia. The other tobaccos are added to simply smooth off the rougher edges, as opposed to smoking it straight. I have done so (with some regularity, in fact) but this tames it just enough to keep it from being a full-on blowout. I can't get it to bite, and the presentation (though messy to prepare), is outstanding. That being said, it is still something to go into with your eyes open. The room note won't make you any friends (although my wife enjoys it), and any pipe you smoke it in will be ghosted forevermore, but it's worth it. Every time.

Pipe Used: Icarus Stubby Apple, Self-Made Magnum Cherrywood

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Not much; Stands alone.

Toasterbottom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toasterbottom (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'll be honest. When I first tried this, I thought it was disgusting. I was sent a sampler packet tucked into a shipment of tobacco I had ordered online from SmokingPIpes.com. Apparently it was just too soon into my foray into pipe smoking, but when I tried it I was astounded at how dirty it tasted. But I didn't throw it out and instead kept the small plastic bag in a drawer. Some time later I thought to break it up and mix some in with some other tobacco as I packed my pipe. Don't know what made me think to do this ... but I loved it, there, in the background. Next time I mixed in a little more and then a little more and a little more ... and then I ran out. I've just ordered a bunch online and my point is, that like peaty scotch, this is an acquired taste. If you're a rum and coke drinker, this probably ain't for you. But if you like the dirty, earthy, smokey taste of Lagavulin or Laphroig, then this might be just the ticket. I think I'm ready to have a bowl of it on it's own.

Pipe Used: a variety of briars

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com 4noggins.com

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (32)
Mild None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

It is what it is. That said, it’s a heavy Latakia Mixture that is tasty. If I had a preference I would add a stoved Virginia to this blend to round it out and add richness to it. The burley doesn’t do much and the orientals need bolstering. Otherwise on its own it lacks body. Mind you, it’s a good mixture; smooth and heavily smoky. I enjoy the honey like notes with light puffing. It also has a clean finish that’s not heavy in the mouth. I give it 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Erica Fiamma Pot

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

Phenomenal!!

I ordered a one pound pressed block of this based on two things;

1. I am a Latakia lover

2. The rave reviews by you my brethren afficianados

I knew I would like this blend based on your reviews. The block came from smoking pipes vacuum packed and looking more illicit than anything I've ever gotten in the mail. The smokiness was evident through the unopened box.

I took a long filet knife and cut it into 1/4 pound bars. Then immediately into a large mason jar. One block of about an 1/8th of a pound was immediately rubbed out and jarred.

I initially wondered if I bit off more than I could chew because i did find this very smokey and spicy. However after I killed a 1/4 pound I realized that I was spot on.

I love the smokiness and find it wonderful from top to bowl bottom. It is now my go to and hav at least one bowl per day. Usually right after work.

I recommend this strongly if you are a Latakia lover.

Pipe Used: Several Petes, Cobs... Et al

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)
Mild None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I order this in bulk, not my usual choice.

The cons: It comes in a little brick - it look very suspicious. Also, or you use your bare hands to crumble it or a knife. This, of course, changes the flavour and smoking experience.

Now the pros: all of them. It´s a straight, delicious, full tobacco. Some say it´s unidimensional. Yes, it is. It´s a big black latakia-screaming block. I love it. Also very mild nicotine, so you can smoke all day - and believe me, I wish I could smoke it all day.

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

If you don't like Latakia, why are you reviewing a blend that's 70% Latakia then bashing it because it's one dimensional or monochromatic? You must have missed the point.

Pirate Kake is Latakia. The burley component smooths it out a bit, but doesn't add much to the taste that I can tell, but there is a definite spice component from the Orientals. I really enjoy PK. It's a great cool weather smoke and one of my favorites for outdoor puffing (which is where my wife prefers I take it) which is good because the room note isn't going to make you any friends among non-smokers.

This is a lat lover's dream. 4 stars if you like lots of manly Latakia, 1 star if not. Just do us all a favor and don't smoke PK, then bang on it in a review for having too much Latakia; that's the whole point of it.

Pipe Used: Latakia dedicated briars mostly

Age When Smoked: tin fresh

Similar Blends: Straight Latakia.

King T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King T (9)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

LATAKIA! LATAKIA! LATAKIA! Is what this blend is all about. If you are a latakia freak, as I am, then I will venture to say you are going to like this blend a lot. It is a bomb in my assessment.

Some would say the latakia is over dominant so much that you can not taste the other tobaccos in this blend. And I would have to agree. It's only from smoking PK many times that I can barely, barely detect other tobaccos here. I actually had to read up on this blend to find out its contents. And even then it took me a while to admit there were other tobaccos present. The only one I am confident in saying I can taste is the burley. And that was only through the nose. The latakia here overwhelms this blend. That's not a negative statement, just an observation. Nevertheless it is a smooth blend. So smooth I would describe it as creamy. The room note to me is exquisite! Smoking a latakia blend we all know has that cherished, non mistakable fragrace in the air. No different here except the smoke is much more rich. Intensified if you will. I recon it is due to the amount of latakia.

All in all I would rate this a 3.75. Still very high. And I would recommend it smoked with a dark beer. Something consistant with New Castle or darker. But nothing less. So, if you're a latakia lover give this blend a shot.

Pipe Used: various

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (22)

This is a Latakia bomb? so in this case I like. Here in Brazil many confreres saying about this blend and i decided to try. First is a plum and woodsy taste, different than I thought this blend isn't aggressive, your smoke is creamy and fill your mouth. I think all Cornell & Diehl blends are aggressive in your taste, but this the proof that i was wrong. moreover all this blend dont heat the bowl and your smoke are warm during all the time. I will buy this for a second time...

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (21)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Beautiful Latikia Kake. The strong Latakia flavor basically wipes out any hint of the other tobaccos. I suppose the nicotine kick comes from the burley. While perhaps one dimensional I love this rich Lat bomb in one of my English billiards. A favorite for special occasions, definitely not an all day smoke for me.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Billiard

Purchased From: BNB Tobacco

Theodore Moore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodore Moore (14)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

This stuff, (yes stuff is the right word) is just plain brutal. One must either have a fried tongue or be a masochist to enjoy Pirate Kake. The Latakia is of inferior quality and the blend opposes itself to the point of the abusing the poor sucker who smokes it. I like Latakia, but this blend gives Latakia a bad name. I smoked about ten pipe fulls and was ready to sue by the last bowl. Only Blackbeard on the gallows could possibly find solace in this blend. I think it should be renamed Pirate's Death Wish. Of course I recognize that there are some people whose tongues are so scorched and their palettes so brutalized by lat bombs, that they will gladly go down with this ship. Have a great trip to Davy Jones locker!

Similar Blends: Creosote soaked camel's dung..

Cakici Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cakici (9)
Strong None Detected Full Extra Strong

An "OMG" blend for, a latakia-lover, me.

It has a cake cut. Some mentions aging cake differs taste, tbh, I didn't try. A harsh characteristic smell of the latakia hits your face as you open the tin. That is why this blend should not be compared with Dunhill EMP, or similar blends. It's quite easy to peel off the cake layer and get it ready for smokable condition. After packing the bowl, once you give a deep smell to your fingers, you'll get the point. One may leave the cake form, without rubbing entirely, in its tin. I didn't find necessary to humidify again in 5-month period, somehow it keeps sufficient humid in the cake.

Pipe Used: Peterson 1910, Savinelli Autograph, Stanwell 30

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - HH Vintage Syrian, Solani - 763: White and Black.

VBBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VBBill (6)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Although this tobacco has a very high Latakia content it is not overwhelming. The crumble cake is easy to pack, the smell is strong smoky. The flavor is earthy, smoky, leathery. Burley and Oriental tobbaccos harmonize and smoothen the taste. Orientals play a bigger role at the end of the bowl. No bite at all, stays lit very well and slow burning. The room note is as expected, full Latakia. Highly recommended to quite and cold winter nights. Do not be scared of the high Latakia content.

Pipe Used: Vauen 4200

Age When Smoked: 1 year old

Similar Blends: Dan Tobacco - Holly's Discovery.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

This is an enjoyable Full Latakia Blend. Not overly complex but not monochromatic either. This is the kind of smoke you'd like after eating a big steak. The smoke is smooth and Creamy with a little roughness now and then. Those Folks who Love a lot of Latakia in their pipe tobacco will Love it. Others who prefer more restraint won't. I like to smoke upon occasion - not something I break out often but when I do I really enjoy it. Perfect for the Winter or when you want to scare away your Spouse, Kids or Neighbors. Be prepared to be shunned! But hey... We all need some "Alone Time" now and then.

Pipe Used: Bari Freehand

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Well now I know what a lat bomb is. Wow. I will say I like it, a lot but this is not a tobacco that you need to ponder. It's alottalatakia, ALOTTALATAKIA!. It is top notch Cyprian leaf with solid Burley and Virginia's. The Virginia's and and Burley provide a good base and can be tasted behind the Latakia, and it is a great flavor. It is unidimensional and stays the same throughout the smoke, again, not a bad thing. Flavorfull and satisfying. Not an all day smoke but one that we'll take you to Latakia heaven.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: <1 year

Purchased From: Pipes and Ciigars

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (263)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I was able to smoke a bowl of this. Even though I only like Latakia in very small doses, I dared to pack a small clay bowl full of Pirate Kake. To my suprise the unburnt aroma is quite sweet, nutty and not overly Latakia-ish.

In the smoke the Latakia - even though being 75% percent of the blend - really smooth and silky. It's really not what I consider a "Latakia Bomb" with an obtrusive Latakia aroma! There's enough sweetness and nuttiness to mellow out the high dose of Lady L.

Pirate Kake offers leathery notes, smoky and woodsy tones and a grain of sea-salt, as well as some nuttiness and toasty, honey-ish sweetness. The orientals also sport some etherealness, a few sour peaks and a herbal character.

I guess this blend works just as Motzeks Black & Gold Krumble Kake, which also holds 40% Perique, but is mellowed out with a lot of Cavendish. The Cavendish mellows out the obtrusive, musty aromas and settles the blend for smooth smoke - exactly as in Pirate Kake.

Wonderful blend, and certainly a 4-star blend!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Very Strong

After smoking this, my tongue walked the plank. It was a suicide.

The Cavendish doesn't moderate this blend at all, and the Turkish is AWOL. It's Latakia in overwhelming amounts. This is the Tactical Nuclear Penguin of pipe tobacco - a joke that probably belongs in a Mountain Dew commercial and not in polite company.

If there were negative stars, Pirate Kake would earn them.

Pipe Used: meer

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium to Strong Mild Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Let me say, up front, I'm a Latakia fan. Or, at least I thought so. I purchased this because I wanted to experience what a Latakia "bomb" is. Now I know, and don't like it. I'll stick with more basic English/Balkan blends that use Latakia as a secondary player; not the only player. This stuff is, well, out of line. Mind you, I don't regret trying it—the tobacco's were good quality, it's just that this blend is not for me.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Molina bent

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

This is by far the most ham-handed blend I've ever tried. In fact, it isn't fit to be called a blend at all since it is the same as smoking straight latakia, not a blend of different tobaccos. The turkish and burley add nothing. It is impossible to keep lit. After a few minutes, my taste buds become overwhelmed and I can't taste anything.

I suppose there are those who just can't get enough latakia who will like it, just as there are those who put an entire bottle of ketchup on their food.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

Original review from 2011:

This one is just not for me. It does produce a decent amount of smoke. Just too much Latakia for me. As always YMMV. I give this 2 stars because it does seem to be a quality mixture.

Update 2/27/2018:

My have times changed, and so has my taste in tobacco blends. I rediscovered this blend over the weekend. We got ourselves reacquainted. I've readjusted the ratings and highly recommend this blend very much. The components come together quite nicely and gives a nice load of nicotine in this offering from C&D. The room note may scare away some people that would normally sit by when you smoke this one. For me, the moisture level was right on from the opening of the tin until the bottom of it. The tobacco came apart quite easily when loading up the pipe. Definitely recommended.

Pipe4Life Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe4Life (3)

English lovers unite! This is the single greatest Latakia blend on the market. The smoke is smoothe and leaves a cool yet warm creaminess on your palette for hours afterward. C&D style; this blend smokes down to the last puff leaving a fine volcanic type ash that won't plug up the bowl. Highly recommended for lovers of Latakia: over 75% and yet not over powering. A classic pipe room note scent that will turn bystanders into tokers.

Pipe Used: Perfect for classic Bent apple or bulldog

Age When Smoked: Doesn't matter, never changes

Purchased From: Burlington Tobbacanists (Alberta, Canada)

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

The very epitome of lat bomb. I was told that this blend is 70% latakia, and I believe it.

Presentation is a firm cake, pitch black with a few brown flecks. Breaking off a chunk and rubbing it out with your fingers isn't difficult at all, but you might want to wash your hands afterwards. Moisture level is perfect for smoking. My kids' comment on tin note - "Ewww! Stinky dirt!" I concur (but in a good way).

Flavor - Yep, that's latakia! I won't attempt to break this one apart - the descriptions say it's got oriental, burley and cavendish. Whatever. I can't really pick them out. The flavor to me is straight up latakia, smokey, earthy, dark, bold and rich...but surprisingly smooth and creamy. It lacks that hint of perique spice that Nightcap has, but is darker and more smokey. I don't get much sweetness, but it's not astringent either. Not terribly complex, almost one dimensional, but quite good at what it does.

It took two matches to get started and required only one relight. Smokes slow and cool. Very well behaved in the pipe. Room note? IT STINKS. When you light up some Pirate Kake, nobody is going to be happy except you. Perhaps this is why pirates didn't have wives on their ships with them.

Recommended. I'm not quite ready to stock up on this one, but I will certainly buy more in the future.

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

First off, I love latakia-from blends with just a hint to full blown blends like this wonderful smoke from C&D. If you don't care for latakia then definitely steer clear of this one, but I for one can't imagine a piper not enjoying this smoke. Despite being 75% latakia I was easily able to pick out the oriental tobacco. Not just the tongue tingle that spicy orientals give but a solid oriental leaf flavor under the latakia. I found a retro-hale was the best way to truly get the smokey leathery flavor of the latakia to shine. I have no idea what the room note is because I smoke on the porch but I imagine it would be very potent. This is a fine smoke for a snowy winter night, I will be ordering up the one pound bag very soon, this one is a winner

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: new from tin

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Star of the east is somewhat comparable.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Update 11/9/2017

As was stated in my earlier review of a sample I did end up purchasing a couple tins of this. To my good fortune the tins were already a year aged when I received them and a little over 2yrs old when I popped the first one.

I am holding this one at 3 stars, because it is good but suffers from a lack of complexity. This is not really shocking seeing as the blend contains 75% latakia. The tin description should scare off all but the most hardened latakiaphiles. Because of the high concentration of lat, this blend is very smooth and leathery with campfire notes galore. The burley chimes in with that nuttiness that I alluded to in my earlier review and the oriental stands out a little more with some sour notes.

As I stated earlier, it has a good amount of nicotine thanks to the burley, but one should not consider this a strong blend by any means. It is just relatively strong when compared to most lat blends. In any case, after finishing a bowl I often felt sated for quite some time.

I could never smoke this all day long, but I doubt I could ever smoke this much lat in any blend all day. I tend to prefer it more in a condimental sense. I found this best in a small bowl as it can get kind of boring to my tastes in a large bowl. Overall, I do recommend it for what it is. I might jump that to highly recommended for the latakiaphiles out there. I will look forward to trying the other tin after much aging hopefully mellows the lat a bit.

Original Review 5/13/2016

I just finished a sample of this that I have had for a while even though it was a pretty small sample. It came at a time of several samples and got stashed away and, well, forgotten about. After discovery, I probably only got about three bowls out of this.

Those three bowls were quite enjoyable. I had expected a lat bomb out of this from all that I have heard about it. And the latakia is strong, but it is not at all overpowering. The blend smokes really smooth. I guess this, is in part, due to solid balance with the orientals and burley. The latter of which adds a nice nutty sweetness to the blend.

As my sample was small and I liked it, but yet was not blown away by it, I am giving this one three stars with plans to pick up a tin or two to try later. I will return to this at that time. This may very well go up to four stars then. As an additional note, this does have an appreciable nicotine hit for a lat blend, so those smitten with lat, but also requiring more nicotine, may find this to be the perfect solution.

Pipe Used: Invicta PSF POY 2014 Blasted Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs. 6 months

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Ok here it is pirate kake by cornell and Diehl. This blend is a very heavy latakia blend and is a real treat for latakia lovers. The oriental is noted early on until about mid bowl and then its pretty much the lat that steals the show in pirate kake a very smoky campfire blend. Now this blend is a real treat though because the burley in it. The burley is noticeable not so much for the taste but more so the nicotine hit that it helps provide. This was a blend I have been searching for because I love latakia but it is such a mild to medium and just tends to be low on the nicotine level sadly. Hey its not your fault latakia, burley will help you in this kake. Overall I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves a good English blend this stuff is top notch and is cheap and available. I would truly smoke this over a lot of other sought after blends.

Pipe Used: Billiard, rusticated tomato

Similar Blends: Boswell Northwoods, Dunhill Nightcap.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

First of all, if you are even on the fence about liking Latakia, you need to hit the "back" button on your browser now and move along. This blend is LOADED with it for sure, and there just isn't any other way to put it. It is far from being monochromatic though, which I will get to in a second.

Upon opening the tin, the smokiness is apparent right off of the bat. There are background notes of dried fruits present, however, if you let your nose acclimate. The tobacco is presented as a tight crumble cake. Upon first inspection I was sure that I would need to slice this, but it falls apart rather easily. It packed well for me in a small LHS Purex. I would personally recommend a little drying time for this, as it is a little too moist for my personal tastes.

It took a little work to get it going, but once lit, it stayed that way. Upon the initial false light, I noticed an interesting flavor: a slightly sweet, dry, yet herbaceous taste. I immediately thought of a bouquet of dried herbs. It wasn't quite floral. I got hints of this flavor throughout the bowl and I must say, I like it! There are flavors of wood smoke, spices, herbs, and a slightly nutty sweetness. It was very nice from start to finish.

I recommend this to any Latakia fan, and for anyone looking for a warm blend to smoke on a cold winter day. I'm not a Latakia fiend, but I wanted to keep something like this on hand for cold, snowy days. I was expecting a one-dimensional experience, but I assure you there is more to this tobacco than many give it credit for. I'll keep some on hand from now on.

Pipe Used: LHS Purex

Purchased From: JR Cigars, Statesville, NC

Bruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bruck (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

The closest an honest gentleman can get to smoking straight Latakia.

I received a free sample of this with an online order, and it quickly became my favorite. Very reasonably priced in bulk form; I'm slowly chipping away at a pound of it. And when that's depleted, I'm getting another one.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: online

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My goodness...now this is what I think of when one runs for cover from the...LAT BOMB!! The smokiness is cool and mellow, very nice, but I failed to really see how this was a team effort. Had a little bit of a time getting this to light with the high latakia content, but it worked in the end. I almost felt as though I was smoking a straight bowl of latakia. This was fine until I hit midbowl and quite honestly grew tired of it. PCALHO

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I love this blend. I got a tin dated July 1, 2008 on eBay for $16, and I am more than happy in spending that money.

Upon opening the tin I immediately got the strong smell of Latakia, but there was a little more that just that. There's also a sweet smell to it that mixes with the smokiness very well. The smoke leans a little further to the sweet than the smokiness, and I can definitely pick up on the Perique and Orientals more than I had anticipated. The overall effect is very good, similar to and in my opinion better than Mississippi River. I know, "BLASPHEME!" you declare. But I stand by that assessment.

I'm not sure what the fresh stuff is like, but I can totally recommend that you try some of the aged version if you can.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Purchased From: eBay

Similar Blends: Mississippi River, Hearth & Home - Ambassador's Blend (Signature Series).

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (28)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

A Four Star blend, IMHO. Top Notch. I always load my pipe the night before and let it sit overnight. The next day PK lights right up and smokes all the way through. I get a creamy taste unlike any other tobacco I have yet tried. Very smooth with little, if any bite. I confess, any bite, which I have gotten, may come from a propensity, on my part, to "puff" this tobacco due to how much I enjoy it. The "creaminess" can be a little heavey at times so I have found this to be a good tobacco to cut with a lighter english. 60 (PK)/40 (Savinilli English) makes a great all day smoke but PK can certainly stand alone.

Rufus T. Firefly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rufus T. Firefly (9)

This is a very enjoyable smoke, full of smokey Latakia. It smokes cool right of the tin. The cake rubs out easily and tastes great. If you enjoy a great Latakia blend this one's for you.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Dress

Age When Smoked: Right out of the tin

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the ultimate Lat-Bomb. Smokey Latakia seasoned with just enough nutty Burley and spicy/woody Izmir to combust and taste good. It is surprisingly smooth and easy on the palate. I couldn't smoke this all day or even two days in a row but on a cold winter day this really hits the spot.

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)

It is not a Latakia bomb, but a super creamy, medium body, medium strength medium deepness Latakia blend. With the fragrantly smoky aroma from Latakia, this easily packed crumble cake already becomes my everyday rotation.

Enjoy + Require buying + An all-day smoke → Four Stars Rating

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: 8 oz tins from pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: the body and strength are very similar to Dunhill standard mixture, but the taste is unique..

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It is not a Latakia bomb; Orientals plays a co-leader role. Full in taste but medium in strength. The plug cut provides a very slow, peaceful, perfect, cool smoke. It lacks a little bit of a component: Virginia. I think a 5% more of it and it would be a really great blend! 4,0/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland)

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Pirate Kake.

Wow.

It seems, pretty much everything has been said already about this blend! But, for what it's worth, I'll add my experience to the site.

The Krumble Kake's dark, and very easy to fluff and crumble, in fact, a large proportion has already crumbled in the pouch (I bought bulk). The unlit note gives more than a suggestion of lots of Latakia, so on with the actual smoke:

It comes as no surprise that the leading flavour's the smoky Latakia. Like SteelCowboy says, if you're not a fan of lots of Latakia, take a pass!. But what does come as a surprise, even though this packs a heady punch of smokiness, there's still a small amount of room for the nutty Burley and woody Oriental's; the Burley more-so. I'm not talking of an even split, nowhere near, but they do lighten the flavour...a smidgen! The burn's consistent and incredibly even, giving off a smoke that's reminiscent of Sam G Balkan Flake: cool Latakia. It doesn't bite me any, regardless of my technique, it's just a very comfortable smoke.

The nicotine's just above medium, not 'strong', but more of a strength for the mornings. And finally, this has a very heavy room-note. That said though, I quite like it!

Easy to rate, easy peasy: highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson System #303

Purchased From: 4noggins

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Very Strong

This is not a great mixture but a great mistake. The present tin information report: “A smooth, robust blend with LOTS (75%) of exceptional Latakia accompanied by Turkish and Burley”. It is the truth! First mistake: too much Latakia. It is like smoking straight Latakia, really unsmokable! If you don’t find any pure Latakia in the market you can easily buy this one and make your own mixtures. Second mistake: Burley has no proper taste; it’s a neutral tobacco without a specific taste. In this case, Burley doesn’t help the blend and it is necessary like smoking pure Latakia. Third mistake: Turkish is absolutely useless and this is not an oriental blend! I can’t taste any oriental tobacco. Only Latakia taste. In my opinion it is inconceivable a mixture with 75% of Latakia because it is impossible to detect any other taste. For this reason in my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 3 and only a star.

Similar Blends: Pure latakia.

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Too much Latakia??? Is there such a thing? PK has the reputation for being a Lat bomb, but it is actually a nice and smooth smoke. You have to appreciate what Latakia brings to the table to enjoy Pirate Kake. Earthy, smoky, salty, leathery and full. Latakia has a lot of nuance in its flavor. It's an insult to call it one dimensional like it's some chemical-soaked, aromatic garbage tobacco. Put down the 1-Q, step out of the candy aisle of the tobacco world, and enjoy a truly flavorful tobacco.

Ig88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ig88 (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening a small sample given to me by father, I noted the sample was about as hard as concrete. I managed to fumble a piece and I managed to drop it and it shattered like glass. I realized I needed to take this sample and let it sit overnight with a damp towel over a bowl. I smoked some the next day and I noted that it smelled similar to being in smokehouse. First light I tasted heavy notes of campfire, wood, earth and sulfur. It reminded me of smoking a burnt out matchstick or if you were to smoke the smoke off of a meat smoker. About mid bowl it seemed to mellow out and I did get some nice sweet notes. It got more pleasant towards the end of the bowl but the overall 'smokey' taste just seemed to dominate this blend. This is what this blend is supposed to do so I knew going in I would experience this. It is a very different taste from what I normally go for (I tend to like those hideous 'soapy' tobaccos from over the pond) but not something I believe is for me. I do note this is good for something different.

Russell D Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russell D (2)

I like it. Only had about eight bowls so far but i'll buy more. It does better with a little drying time than fresh out the can. Burns all the way down and leaves the pipe dry and clean. A very cool and pleasent smoke. As far as the room note goes im not sure just yet. I snuck in a couple bowls n the house and my wife didn't say a word. I dont think she even noticed and believe me she will let me know when she notices.

Pipe Used: cob, peterson xl15, dr g.

Age When Smoked: not sure. new from tin at b&m

Similar Blends: Hard to say.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Mild None Detected Extra Full Strong

Understatement of the year---"This is a blend for the Latakia lover" WOW. I bought a hunk of this looking for a purer form of latakia to decide whether I really was a latakia guy or not. Turns out I am.

PK arrived as a brick or block. Kake is misleading as the pressed tobacco has many of the characteristics of a small piece of 5/4 inch pine decking. Same thickness, same density, and some of the same smell. I could not cut this with my fairly substantial pocketknife, only whittle on it, just like a hunk of decking.

Tin note is great with lots of wood smoke, some pine, oriental tobacco, and slight creosote. Right up my alley as I burn wood to heat the house. Nose is definitely noticeable but not overpowering as some here suggest or like some aromatics. Preparing this one for smoking is a chore. The cake breaks up easiest by hand, first breaking off large chunks of the whole then smaller chunks then rubbing those out into smokable bits. Even the smaller pieces have a remarkable cohesive quality and are really unnecessarily difficult to get prepped. Don't even bother attempting to cut this kake, you'll have to hammer the knife through. Once the kake is rubbed out sufficiently it does need a little drying time maybe only 30 minutes or so. The tobacco seems dry enough when being rubbed out but is hard to keep lit without drying. There are a quite a few stems in my batch, I might go as far as to call it stemmy.

Now for the pipe. This is where the hassle becomes worthwhile. This stuff is the bomb. Lat bomb that is. From char to dregs lots of nice smooth, smoky latakia flavor with hints of minor components at times. This is a cool drawing blend that I cannot get to bite. A drawback for me is the frequent relights, even with a dried tobacco. I might relight this as many as 5 times in the course of a medium sized bowl. This stuff produces huge, thick clouds of smoke which never dissipate. While you are sitting there enjoying the bowl you can watch the smoke accumulate in the room and settle to the floor. It's almost as if the smoke is too heavy to be moved by the imperceptible drafts in a house that will carry most smoke away. Nic dose is fairly low on this one, which surprised the heck out of me because the flavor is so over the top. I'll also add that this tobacco stays with you for a long, long time. Smoke a bowl in the morning and you will taste it all day. You'll have to brush the taste out of your mouth. Smell also stays on your hands for quite some time after rubbing this out.

Although an excellent smoke on it's own this also makes a great blender. Right now I have it blended 50/50 with Prince Albert which mellows the smokiness a little. I also have it blended 50/50 with My Mixture 965. PK dominates the weak tasting 965 but 965 does add quite a bit of oriental and nicotine which makes the combination more interesting than the components. I think you could improve any blend with the addition of PK, most aromatics excepted.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: pandc

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

A Latakia lovers stand by for me. I always have a couple brownies of this laying around. The lat is very forward and pronounced in this. It smokes well. Very pleasing billows a white smoke.

Pipe Used: A bunch because it's a go to blend for me.

Age When Smoked: Less than a week

Purchased From: El Fumador in Sewickley, Pennsylvania

Sentul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sentul (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Firstly, this tobacco is a Lat Bomb and definitely only for latakia afficionados.

Lovely tobacco to smoke but stinks like hell to all around you.

My only disappointment with this was that I expected it to be a bit stronger and higher in Vit N than it was.

Otherwise a lovely tobacco and well worth a try for anyone who likes Latakia and definitely a tobacco you can use to put a bit of latakia in another DiY home blend or similar.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (34)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Disclosure: I was given a free sample of this from smokingpipes.com and I prefer aromatics.

As stated above, I'm an aromatic guy, I'm not a big fan of anything else. I was pleasantly surprised by C&D's Pirate Kake though. It was my first experience with tobacco in this form as well.

Opening the packet, it smells like a BBQ smokehouse. It brings to mind Texas BBQ, charred wood, and outdoor cookouts.

Whenever I've had non-aromatics, I've felt like they've tasted like a combination of BBQ sauce and soap, and this wasn't much different. It sounds awful, but it wasn't. It was more pleasant than I expected.

I don't have any problem smoking this. It wouldn't be the first tobacco I reached for, and I have doubts if I'd ever buy it, but I wouldn't refuse another sample.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Peterson, Corncob

Age When Smoked: Fresh, as far as I can tell.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Wow, this stuff is a Latakia monster. It actually made my neighbor come out and ask if I was burning tires. It's strong in taste and smell. The dominant feature is the smoky Latakia. It rubs out easy but it is messy. If you like a whole lotta Latakia, go for it. It is a pretty cool baccy.

I took the advice from one of the other commenters on this page and decided to spruce it up with some rum. I will comment further when I smoke it again.

Pipe Used: MM legend, Meerschaum

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

CFAF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CFAF (9)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

This is a rare case of too much of a good thing. I love latakia. Latakia blends are my favorites. I don't know if it's too much latakia at 70 percent, or if there's another something in there (burley?) that just makes this blend too much for me. I really want to like it, but it's too strong. To each their own, but Ten Russians is my lat bomb. Pirate Kake is nuclear.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 6 months to a year

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

Originally Reviewed on 5/29 Tin/Pouch Note: Sour apple, plum, campfires and leather. Strong pungency/vinegar(?) when the tin was opened but that subsided to the sour apple and plum notes being stronger, especially after transferring to a jar.

For starters, this is very concentrated latakia - almost meaty, creamy, rich. I also pickup some oriental mustiness but unlike most English blends, this has zero balance... the oriental is an afterthought that you pickup on the exhale but not when the smoke is in your piehole. What I'm getting? Islay malt scotch and rose water, as in a smokey, brine, iodine, perfume, incense sort of way. I pick up a lot more sweetness, with a pungent sourness, like cherries that aren't quite ripe yet. And the smoke has a creamy quality that coats your mouth and nose and everything in a 3 yard radius.

Room note? My wife thought I was burning tires.

I also found this blend seemed to pack a bit of nicotine when smoked in an MM General. However, I didn't find the same results in smaller pipes or even my briars so I might have just had an off day.

This is a good blend if you really want to know what "Latakia Forward" means. The best way I can put this blend, is that if it were a movie, it would be about latakia, there would be a preview before the movie starring oriental, and the burley and virginias would be listed in the credits as gaffers or extras.

Pipe Used: MM general, royal meer, savinelli 616

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I guess I must be a real Lat fiend too. This is my favorite Lat-bomb of all time, having tried many that get harsh or bitter. This one stays creamy mild all the way, an occasional sourness & then sweetness, both pleasant, don't really shake up the Latakia's prominence. Seventeen stars

Pipe Used: Old meer, briars

Purchased From: J&R

fredkao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fredkao (11)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

Well I was hoping to find something very strong as it's a Latakia Bomb but NO! It's very mild and I wasn't pleased with it after my first try but I have to say: you must take it slowly because it's really something!
Anyway, you can use it also for blending il you need a richer smoke.
I like it and I will love it, I'm sure.

Pipe Used: Charatan, Peterson, ...

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

This is a very hard tobacco to review, so I'll just note my first impressions. I ordered 4 oz. bulk of this blend, along with 4 oz. C&D's #099, Engine 99. The 099 bag was packed totally full of tobacco, whereas the Pirate Kake was only half full! I took this to mean that the Pirate Kake was very moist - and that is the case. Being the impatient person that I am, I wanted to sample this blend immediately. Yeah, I know that I am supposed to set out a bowl and let it dry overnight, but...my "compromise" was to only pack the loose crumbles that were in the bag. I packed the bottom half of the bowl very loosely, as usual. I fear that I packed the top third too tightly. This was confirmed by the frequent relights during the first half of the bowl - mea culpa. The bottom half of the bowl, not surprising, is much more productive.

I am a Latakia, English blend, and Virginia blend lover. I am currently puffing on this blend, in my Ser Jacopo Delecta, and I find this blend to be very mild for the most part. I am getting the slightly salty, minerally taste, that other reviewers mentioned. The flavor is fairly monotone, and limited to the Latakia. It is not biting my tongue at all, and I am puffing the Dickens out of the bacci. Relights are much less frequently on the bottom half of the bowl, in fact, it is burning quite well.

In summary, this seems to be a Penzance lite. I am not tasting the complimenting Oriental flavors, as I do in Penzance. Pirate Kake is much less powerful than I thought that it would be. There is zero burn on nose exhale, and no tongue bite. The Latakia is always front and center, and to me, that is not a bad thing. The aroma seems to be fairly stong. I am sensing no vitamin N, and I am smoking this bowl very aggressively. The bowl of my pipe is staying absolute cool to the touch.

As others have mentioned, Pirate Kake would probably blend very well with FVF, or other sweet, full bodied, predominately English or Virginia blends.

I think that I am going to like this tobacco, therefore three stars for now. I will probably update my impressions in the future. Later folks....keep on puffing.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Boring, one dimensional lat. bomb. I was hoping for some spicy flavor to counterbalance so much Latakia, but alas 'twas not to be found.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a great blend. I love Lat. Actually, for a good Lat. fix this is a great place to go. However, for the most part I found that there was so much Lat. in this blend that it tended to be rather 1 dimensional. It was rare for me to pick out anything but the lat. especially the Turkish, which I really like. Overall, a good smooth smoke that had no bite. Great for one of those times that you don't want to think about the smoke while doing other things.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I really like this tobacco once in a while, not an everyday smoke. Latakia is out front with maybe a hint of vanilla hidden way , way, way in the background. I don't like the cut of this tobacco ( Krumble kake, broken rubbed out flake). It doesn't stay lit, requires constant tamping and seems to fall out with hot embers.

A word about the aroma, I always thought this would send people running, but the other day I was with three other guys smoking cigars when I lit some PK, they all said how great it smelled. I guess aroma is all relative to your surroundings. I really don't think I will buy again as this is very one dimensional.

Updated 11/2/11- Well after a few months to breath and a different pipe ( if that is what one calls an Ozark Cherry Wood, original review was with a cob ), this blend is complex, without heat, creamy , cheezy and a keeper. It must be sipped , that way you bring in the Turkish as a minor player next to the Latakia. I don't notice the Burley at a sip, which is fine, since I'm not a Burley fan. I'm still not a fan of the Krumble Kake as stated above, but it does burn at a sip.

I had just finished some Orient Express and I noticed in the description that it was 50% Pirate Kake and 50% Odessa. OE was suppose to cut the heavy Latakia of PK , but one thing it does is bring the Burley slightly into play, that I don't like.

I still don't see this as an all day smoke , but I will buy again. I will now compare this to Engine 99, Odyssey & Ten Russians blends for my Lat bomb fix. Stay tuned for the results

Updated 8/10/12 I've just tried, Engine 99, back to back with, Pirate Kake, both bulks, and I find PK better . You had better have a liking for Latakia with both of these blends, more so with PK that gives an almost oily taste. E99 is not as sweet and doesn't bring much Oriental and is very one dimensional. I've decided I would rather put my money towards PK.

Updated 10/13/12- I ordered another Bulk batch of this blend, rubbed it all out, let it rest for about a month and I have to say, "this is outstanding". Everytime I try this tobacco, it's a new experience. It has a lot of similarities to Penzance (including the iodine note identified by reviewer," GSTQ 12/27/2011" ). It has a smoked bacon with sharp provolone flavor !!! I also detected an unusual Oriental scent when snorked, hold on....., it's a freshly split oak log with shellac coating scent ( Turkish?, Burley?),. I wouldn't even argue with reviewer,"Ecdycis 07/29/2012" on his "Menthol sensation", I know, it doesn't sound good but it's different and wonderful. I believe I detected the same oak scent in a tin of Dunhill London Mixture . I want to give this 4 stars but I will hold off as everytime I try this, I detect something diffrent?

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought in a half pound of PK and Star of the East a month or so ago and am very happy that I decided to try this beautiful cake. My preference has always been for latakia forward blends but admit to having reservations to smoking anything that had a 70% latakia content. My fears were for the overall balance of the blend, with 70% I expected the smoke to be one dimensional, not so. Although PK is very obviously a strong lat bomb, I found it to be remarkably smooth, much more so than Star of the East and that PK is actually one of the finest smokes I have had the pleasure of smoking.

A beautiful cake, so easy to handle and pack, the room note for me was acceptable, I quite like the smell of latakia and can never understand when there is so much comotion about it. What I do like also is that with the cake form, there is far more tobacco there in that cake than you'd think, once prepared you need much less than you originally thought.

I'm taking to C&D's blends really fast and have yet to sample anything I have not enjoyed to the fullest. Remarkable. But whether or not I continue to explore their blends, ofcourse i will, I will also make certain that I have a good supply of PK on order and in my cupboard before the rest of the smoking world wakes up to this blend, if they havent already. Easily four stars with pleasure.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

If Nightcap is Wagnerian, this is a brass band. Loud and exhilerating in small doses but difficult to live with on a sustained basis. The orientals are drowned by the Latakia and the burley, apart from mitigating the burnt cork taste of pure Latakia, does little. An occasional excess has its place in life, and Pirate Kake is an excess.

Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

I should have reviewed this tobacco long ago. While writing a review for Bow Legged Bear, I was reminded of how much it is akin to this. Although BLB is wonderful in its own right, I have to say that this blend takes the cake. This is the closest thing I have found to Latakia heaven at a bulk price. While I may still prefer some other tinned english tobacs, the price is right for this stuff. It burns cool and delivers latakia flavor like nothing else except perhaps for Penzance. There is tons of thick white smoke, and it really is a lot of fun to light up. The turkish tobacco is the perfect counterpoint to keep this from being a one dimesional smoke, and the burley keeps things very cool. I even find myself occasionaly inhaling this, something I rarely ever do when smoking a pipe. If their is a smoother English out there, I have yet to find it. My only gripe is that I have not had much luck in storing it. I think it loses something over time. I'm sure this has something to do with my humidifying skills, so I usually only buy a couple of ounces at a time. Bottom line: If you love a big dose of Latakia, then run and get some, if you don't this one may change your mind!

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (34)
Medium None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

I can't detect other content in it, than latakia and some latakia blended with a pinch of latakia. I always welcome this unique cake cut from C&D. Not an all day smoke, but a must try for the latakia/english lovers. IMHO it is more like a blending tobacco. 4 stars because it is very special and unique + because a must try baccy.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

This is a lovely lat-bomb. (That's not a sentence you'll hear very often.) It's surprisingly sweet and well balanced for such a wallop of latakia. The krumble kake is easy to worth with, the moisture level is great, lights and stays lit well, the mouthfeel is creamy and thick, the flavor (if you're into lat-bombs) is top-notch. What's not to love? A gold-hearted thug of a blend.

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (25)

When I first got back into smoking pipes, a local cigar shop was getting rid of the pipe products he had - apparently not enough pipes smokers in the area. He gave me the remaining tobaccos he had. C&D Pirate Kake was among them. Lucky me!

For as heavy and robust a smoke it is regarding flavor, it is also an incredibly mild smoke. There is no bite to this blend no matter if you are puffing lightly or chugging like a freight train.

I also like the fact that it is easy to load, no knife needed to cut as it crumbles in your hand. I just pull it apart, load and light.

Pipe Used: Corn and briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh off the Pirate Ship

Purchased From: Pipe and Cigar

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Very Strong

I received an neat little 1/2 ounce cube of this as a gift from Smokingpipes.com in an order that I had placed. I was impressed with their giving it to me; it was a very attractive perfect little brick that I kept on my desk for a many months, just admiring its geometry and composition. Here 10 months later I am finally smoking it. Have had only two bowls of it so far but it is enough to know that this stuff grows on you if you give it a chance. I enjoy English blends regularly but not exclusively. Pirate Kake is more than just an English blend, it seems to be predominantly Latakia. I've never smoked a blend with this much Latakia and would not have, had it not been given to me.

The quality of the leaf is good, as are all C&D blends that I have had. The power/intensity of the smoke is impressive as one might expect from such a Latakia-forward blend. Even so, I don't find the nicotine strength to be particularly remarkable. The flavor is not very complex; it is quality Latakia center stage, with just enough Burley and Turkish to round out the edges. There is little balance of flavors in that this blend is a showcase of Latakia with the other components only serving to keep it from being too monochromatic. Smoothness and richness of the smoke is here in good measure. It burns dry and relatively cool. I smoked it in two different briar pipes: a medium-sized Orlik Captain Black billiard and a small Orlik pot.

Overall, it's good quality tobacco but my preference is a blend with less Latakia and more of a balance with other components.

Pipe Used: Orlik billiard, Orlik pot

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: a gift from Smokingpipes.com

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Overwhelming

Pirate Kake is a study in excess, and that is not a bad thing. With a remarkable production of creamy smoke, an scandalous room prescence, and an ever-present, in-your-face overdose of Latakia, this blend is too much good stuff. So much good stuff, you'll want to exercise restraint and reserve its enjoyment for once-on-a-blue-moon situations.

Caution: it is such an unforgettable smoke, your pipe will keep reminding you of it no matter what else you smoke in it.

Recommended for English and Oriental fans only.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

There's not much to say about this one, except Latakia. I know it says there is some orientals in there, but I don't know. I got this as a sample from smokingpipes.com, and wanted to try a crumble cake. I smoke this one outdoors only as it is most offensive to pretty much everyone. I heard burning leaves and campfire from most everyone there. I have come to enjoy Latakia mixtures for the most part. While I did enjoy this with a good jolt of black rum on the side at a party, I'm not sure it's a daily kind of smoke.

The presentation was a cube in the sample I got. It was a half ounce. It smells very strongly of Latakia in the pouch. Heck, outside the pouch as well. You can almost hear your girl complaining about this one already. It crumbled up pretty easy and packed up well. Left a little oily residue on my fingers. It lit ok and burned fairly well. This would probably be great for coloring a new meerschaum. It tastes like it smells pretty much. Smokey, like woodsmoke. Peaty sort of flavor to it. It is pretty strong, both in nicotine and aroma. Sipping at this one, it didn't get too overbearing in its intensity of flavor. Goes well with the black rum, or maybe a stronger stout or IPA. Definitely a strong peaty highland single malt like Laphroaig or peat monster.

I only gave it a slightly lower rating bc I'm not sure a lot of people would like this. This one is good for what it is, which is a lat bomb. It is a pretty intense smoke in my opinion. You're going to want to take it slow at first with this blend. Most likely she won't let you smoke this one inside unless she's smoking it too lol. You may want to get a small amount to try it before you go bulk.

Pipe Used: Peterson lovat

Purchased From: Sample from smokingpipes

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Extra Strong

This was the perfect after-dinner smoke tonight. I spent hours getting my smoked salmon perfect. After all that time in a cloud of hickory smoke I wanted something that I could actually taste.

A pinch off the kake was easily crumbled in my palm, and one match got it going.

In my ridiculously long churchwarden the smoke was actually pretty mellow for a latakia blend. It didn't give me a headache or make my stomach hurt, so I will keep some Pirate Kake around for when the right occasion presents itself.

Maybe it isn't well balanced, but for an after-dinner smoke, when you have feasted on smoked meats, it is delightful.

Pipe Used: Churchwarden briar

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (33)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is, indeed, good tobacco. If you're looking for a better Latikia Bomb, check out Captain Earl's Stimulus Package or his Ten Russians. I find the Ten Russians to be a slightly better balance than Stimulus Package. I'm stocking these deep.

Pipe Used: Meer, Briar & Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh & 4 months

Purchased From: P&C

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (21)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I don't know it sort of reminds me of Bengal Slices (sort of). Tastes like Karo Syrup and Latikia. Way way too sweet for my taste buds. It is very monotone and I don't notice the "other" oriental varieties at all. I don't think I will be buying it again. It does smoke cool with no bite. Preparation isn't to difficult although it is kind of tough to rub out for a "krumble kake". If you like sweet stuff with your latakia this just might fit the bill. The kick from Lady N is not that strong. It is quality stuff for sure, just not to my liking. Don't let this review throw you off of the stuff ... you may like it.

Pipe Used: Corn Cobb

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Bengal Slices (sort of ).

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Slightly spicy, woodsy, heavier on the Latakia, rich, pungent tobacco. Very consistent smoke and taste throughout the smoke. I enjoyed it because of that. Easy going. Comes in a crumble cake form, like a dried out brownie. Easy to break off and prepare in your pipe. Really good if you're hungry too. Apparently, it's recommended to try mixing this with some Haunted Bookshop, however I have not tried that yet. :)

-- UPDATE -- awesome blended with some Lane 1Q... 1/3 Pirate Kake, and 2/3 1Q - marinate for a week in a baggie. Sweet latakia smoke. SO GOOD! Take away some of that slightly salty or charcoal Pirate Kake taste!

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Grand Duke

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online

Pipe Beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Beard (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Strong

Highly recommend with the caveat that you like a Lat bomb. That's what this is. I love a good lat bomb every now and again, and this blend definitely scratches that itch.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

My Favorite Latakia forward blend, not for the smoker who only likes a touch of latakia, it has enough Burley and Virginias to keep it interesting, but the Latakia will take over

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Age When Smoked: all ages

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is exactly what I look for in a latakia blend. It is sweet, cool and almost minty. I'd say it's complex, but not like Penzance or a GL Pease latakia. It's complex because latakia in itself is complex, and you can taste this fine leaf without any bitterness from less than premium leaf or obstruction from too many other flavors. The crumble cake is a lot of fun to handle and the smoke is very rewarding, even if it is a little light in the nicotine department.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (19)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

A surprisingly delicate and spicy tobacco, which plays in the upper league of Latakia blends, together with Ten Russians and Da Vinci (all manufactured by Cornell & Diehl). Probably it is the little Burley content in Pirate Kake which makes it my personal favourite among these Latakia-thunderbolts. The room note, of course…ahem… “not spouse-friendly”…

If purchased as 16oz. block, PK is a true bargain.

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (12)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

This is a tobacco blend that doesn't beat around the bush! You'll know in a heart-beat whether you truly love Latakia - or just think you do.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

I really do not smoke this straight, but I do enjoy adding this to many of the blends I enjoy that need an extra kick of Latakia. I mix it three parts Dunhill Early Morning Pipe to one part Pirate Kake. This will keep you going.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

For my purposes this is a killer wonderful rich tobacco with everything I want from a Latakia blend. the sweetness of the cavendish cut burley seems a perfect low key accompaniment to all those dark smoky flavours I want from the lat and orientals. I now understand why so many rate this tobacco highly. A rich warm real tobacco flavour bath. The wife will hate it but I'm too old to care. Not for anyone shy about Latakia, nicotine, or burley.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

Although is is the Cake cut,it is easy to rub, burn easy and slow, and the pipe remains easy to charge. I like this so much! This will be one of my favorites. Is almost pure latakia...! I consider wondefull, fully taste, flavour and scent. I also consider in the same level of quality as classics: 965, Dunhill Standard Mixture ad Presbyterian. Fully recommended, but is only for people that fully enjoy Latakia and not for pipe begginers. Is also a good base formmaking personal mixtures, as source of Latakia. Therephore,it will compose mixtures simillar to "your own English type" Also,is a tobacco of the type that i like: is not strong in nicotine, bu strong il flavour, scent and taste.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Neptune's trousers! This is a fantastic Latakia smoke! This was the last of 21 new blends that I recently worked my way through. PK made the top 5 list. C&D managed to hit a very nice flavor note! They have the Latakia and Burley playing so well together in this blend. I find it to have a very rich, flavorfuly smokey, pleasantly toasty, note. I taste at least three different alternate flavor notes as different sized chunks of tobacco burn. The Krumble Kake cut adds tremendously to this blend. It requires one to slow down and enjoy the ritual and preparation of a great pipe smoke. Without question, the different sized chunks of tobacco, with different blends of leaf, is at the root of the many different sub-flavors that manifest during the bowl. Most other cuts wouldn't work with this much Latakia. I recommend a small bowl with a longish stem for best smoke. Sip, don't puff hard! It lites well and stays lit right down to the end of the bowl. For me, this is my favorite Lat. bomb! Not an everyday smoke, but a great cold weather pleasure, to mix up the rotation.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (28)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

This is a superb blend of all those who experienced latakian mixtures. Full, dense, aromatic taste leaves nobody indifferent! Indeed smoking of this tobacco is a spiritual experience! For each referral! Note: not for young smokers - this tobacco requires however some experience!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Not all that much one can say about a 70% Latakia blend, but the real coolness of this is in the presentation. I'm really starting to like C&D crumble cakes. Before this, I've had Black Frigate and Bow-Legged Bear, which were both really old (from those crappy metal tins C&D used to use that didn't seal), and were falling apart, and Briar Fox, which I liked; but this one is really dense and really fun to play with/chop up. Good smoke, if you like Latakia...

I got a one ounce sample, and loved the look of it: brownie-like cake (ok, a brownie left out in the sun!) that is dense and smells...of Latakia. Not much to say beyond that. Of course, I smoked some before ordering a half-pound, but this is just a straight out Lat bomb. Sometimes, I like that, though I smoke Virginias most often. I'm an experimenter, though, so I try all styles. I could give four stars for the presentation; it's about the coolest cake I've ever seen, but since it is almost straight Latakia, detract a star. I don't know how long it will take me to smoke all this, but since I like to do a Latakia mainline once in a while just for a change, I will not mind having this in my cellar. Very pretty to look at, and I enjoyed carving the "big brownie" into "little brownies" with an Alaskan chopping bowl blade. It was almost worth the price just for that. This cake should hold together nicely as it ages in the Ball jar.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This review will be simple. If you don't really like Latakia this will not change your mind. Please don't buy it and then tell everyone it's crap.

On the other hand if you like heavy Latakia blends then this may be for you. It is not the smoothest and certainly not the roughest but it is full of flavor and delicious in my opinion. The flavor remains constant with little or no nuances about to happen during the smoke. My wife likes the smell of this tobacco the best of all the tobacco I have, your wife probably won't. This not Old Ironsides of any version it may be better to some and not quite as good to others but if you like OI I can't imagine you not liking this stuff. It is what it is and I enjoy it every time I choose it. I give this 4Stars because it does not pretend to be anything but what it is. Penzance is good but it has no taste next to this. You have been warned.

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (9)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this for the first time today. It is absolutely exquisite. Smooth, super tasty. I only wish this was available in flake form as opposed to the two plugs I received as part of my sampler pack. This is my first C&D blend to try. I'll have to smoke more, but I've found my new favorite at the moment. Superb!

Update 06/29/10: Been smoking this on and off for the last six plus months. It gets better with a little age. I can't get over how smooth it is. Smokes cool, lights easy, the latakia/cavendish/turkish blend is astonishing, I taste every component, but since it was pressed they are in such a harmonious balance. I can particularly taste the cavendish cut burley when I exhale through the nose.

The great thing about smoking a bowl of this is that it's the same through- out. Very consistent smoke. As other reviews state, it is not for the light Latakia smoker, I believe this in on par with many other Latakia heavy blends, if not heavier. I've smoked this and C&D's DaVinci, another Latakia heavy offering (not pressed, however). And, I almost prefer this one, DaVinci's flavor profile is more complex compared to Pirate Kake. I suppose it depends on your mood when smoking it.

The only downside I've found to this blend is the mouth-drying effect it has. I have to have a cup or two or three of coffee (or something stronger) with a bowl of this stuff. Other than that, I believe this to be the perfect blend for true lover's of Latakia, it showcases the rich, velvety, smokey, slightly sweet, delectability of Latakia, while offering a robust, yet silky smooth, full smoking experience. I take back ever wanting it as a broken flake, I love the ritual of breaking chunks off the black bricks and rubbing them out individually.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

UPDATE 11-18-2009: I'm afraid I must contradict my own recent review of Pirate Kake. Perhaps in future I'll give a blend a bit more time for me to discover all it offers. Pirate Kake is definitely a blend which begs to be smoked out-of-doors. After initially trying this in a narrow billiard for the first two-three bowls smoked in an enclosed area, I tried it in a couple wider gauge pipes, a Custombilt with a more conical burn chamber and a BBB Two Thousand with a similar, though smaller bowl, out on my rear deck. There, in the breeze, this tobacco really displayed probably what it was meant to be - a wonderfully tasty Latakia based press. The "Ham Bone" aspect disappeared. My wife, 60 feet away doing some gardening remarked how nice this smelled. Go figure. I even caught some orange notes amid the smoky coolness. We all know that to us Cyprus is famous for its Latakia, but I must wonder if this one is not prepared over orange wood fires (orange orchards being another forte of Cyprus). It still made my tongue slightly numb, but then so does a shot of Mezcal, and I don't avoid that spirit. My dwindling two ounce sample will be replaced shortly with a larger purchase. 3 Stars, at the least.

Original post: I bought two ounces of this "because it was there", on the shelf at El Fumador and I had not tried it. I had thought to contrast it with McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan (acknowledging differences between a ribbon vs. a pressed product). It was a little difficult to rub out and properly pack and a good light took some effort. In pipelore, this IS an "L-bomb" to be sure. After a couple of minutes of gentle drawing my mouth became very dry and so I put the pipe down and went back into my house to get a glass of home vinted pear wine -slightly sweet - to quench the fire. Upon returning to my sun porch I was struck with the room note: as smoky as if one had spent all night tending a charcoal fire preparing a Carolina Pig Pickin'. Heavy smoke. The wine helped me get through the bowl. In the pipe it was hard to discern the accompanying tobaccos from the Latakia. McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan with it's Syrian Latakia presents a different experience with it's heavy Latakia yielding a very cool smoke - so cool one could think the blend is topped with menthol. Pirate Kake, on the other hand, it pure Cyprian smokiness without the coolness. If any ever wondered what Dunhill's My Mixture #10 was like, this is it sans cavendished Virginias. To the Latakia lover this should be a delight. I enjoy English blends in general but this is a bit over the top for me. On my rating scale 3 stars denotes recommendation with my intention to repurchase sometime in future. 4 stars denotes actual repurchase or intent to do so as soon as possible. 2 Stars is tepid recommendation denoting some value but not likely to buy again. Pirate Kake rates 2 stars.

Update 6/14: I had upped the rating on this to 3 stars a while ago as I began to appreciate it more when I smoked in as a leisurely, late night smoke, and not as a daylong choice. Today I must up the ante yet again as I have reloaded my supply and am adding it to long term inventory plans.

Purchased From: El Fumador - Sewickley, PA.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

70 % latakia ...that should tell you something . like alot of C and D it's pretty dry . If you dig latakia alot ...try it . If you're noty crazy about Lat Boimbs ...run.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Here I am smoking this blend out of a Nording 2008 woodcock, sitting in my office reflecting on past bird hunting excursions and dreaming about the seasons ahead. This blend always takes me to the fall season in Michigan, no matter what time of year. With glorious color changes, leaves falling, and watching one of my German Shorthairs lock up on point on a grouse or a plump woodcock trying to remain undetected. This is definitely a blend for the Latikia follower, or one looking to escape reality for an hour or so. Sometimes I find myself puffing like a freight train, I just cannot get enough of this blend in one bowl! I would not call this blend monochromatic like some have, as the flavor is somewhat complex at first, but it does tend to level out afterwards. Also a great retirement smoke, after spending a day in the upland woods chasing the king of game birds, the ruffed grouse. Pairs great with a nicely aged tawny port, or a Macallan Cask Strength.

Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Very Strong

So well named? Blackbeard at his best!!!!! This stuff is just a sweet, smokey, Latakia and makes no pretense about it. Way too much for my taste, while I had taste smoking this sample. And that's the problem. It is delicious. It is rich. it is full. It is too much, after a few minutes of it my senses numbed. I also had trouble keeping it lit, and it was not the easiest to rub out from the rock hard cake bar it comes in. It had a high moisture content as well. I think if I had bought this in any quantity it would be a great blender with a dryer, easier burning, simple burley. A little would go a long way. The Latakia used in this is top notch however and had a great taste.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A Latakia blast similar to the ones which built the Hoover dam. Actually Latakia on its own is quite cool and smooth; however, monochromatic.

This is a cousin to the now defunct Old Ironsides . . . sigh. With Ironsides being lighter; far more creamier and nuttier, yet just a cool and long lasting. Pirate kake is quite a bit sharper and overwhelming if you smoke it too fast. I would leave it for an end of the evening smoke. Midday and your palate could be shot for quite awhile, perhaps until tomorrow or the day after.

It takes a bit of patience to light, but once it gets going it lasts for a very long time. Surprisingly the nicotine content is not that high, mind you Latakia on its own is no Howitzer either.

All in all, a different and unique pipe smoking experience; it will not be in the regular rotation, and I would not seek out again. There are too many others which I enjoy more.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

This is the latakia bomb of all time here. I mean that in the best possible sense.

I had smoked samples from friends and a small tin of this in the past but waited to review until I could get a pound to start on just to see consistency from tin to bulk.

Since in bulk I broke it into three big pieces and put it in a mason jar. Upon cutting the bag the latakia aroma permeated the room and my nose. This is serious stuff for serious smokers. There is a dash of cavendish in there but just to smooth it a little. So full flavored but with no hint of bite. This is probablly one of the smoothest blends despite it's overall strength there is.

This is ready to go right off the brick. Crumbles up real nice. Packs like a dream. A little air time helps but on a good dry day you can get by without it. A little drying helps the taste a little and keeps your pipe dry.

I reccomend this to someone looking for the strongest possible dose of latakia. If you are new to the pipe this would be a good way to sample where strong english begins. I would not reccomend it as a first smoke but after a month or so give it a shot. I don't think you could find a fuller tasting blend that is this smooth and soft on the tongue.

This offers a nice contrast to the G.L. Pease balkans I smoke like abingdon, kensington, caravan, and so on. While keeping the flavor and satisfaction in my smokes.

The nicotine will not knock you out but it is there and persistent. Not a rush but a steady buzz- nice in this dept.

This is a sit down and do nothing else but smoke tobacco. Great for late night or cool/cold weather smoking. Highly reccomended.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like latakia, this is the one for you. Almost nothing but latakia but nicely laced with cavendish and some Turkish. Love the pressed bricks that lie waiting in the can when it is opened. Rubs out well and makes a very smooth smoke. Usually I do not think I would like such a heavy latakia blend but this is good. Couldn't smoke it all day or even on a dialy basis but certainly go for the occasional or more than ocassional latakia blast that one is looking for. I like it...bit heavy for those in the same room if they don't like latakia but nice when one is alone.

Revised: This is especially good when one has spent a week away from home and latakia blends. Very full and satisfying. Again, not an everyday smoke but fantatic when one is latakia deprived.

Fumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumeur (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This one didn't work for me. While a love the flavor of Latakia, and have been seeking a good, rich near-pure Latakia flavor, I found this to be bitey and unpleasant, and it tasted like it had some overly moist Virginia in it, even though it apparently doesn't have any. This leaves my mouth feeling bitten for a day or two afterwards.

Still looking.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Very Full Very Strong

As a person who likes just about all styles and blends, I purchased a 'brick' of this stuff simply to see what the extreme end of the Latakia spectrum was like. As a previous reviewer mentioned...it's a drinkin' Jack Daniels feelin' dangerous type of tobacco. Not for the faint of heart, and definitely one to smoke when no one else is around. It gets one dimensional thru the bowl, in that Latakia dominates the experience and ultimately numbs the senses too much.

I currently add 25% Pirate Kake to Lane's Rum and Maple. It's become my absolute favorite smoke.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

As the description above notes, ??.LOTS of exceptional Latakia? and ?This is the blend for the Latakia lover.? Truer words have never been written. It is also an understatement. I like latakia but this blend goes above and beyond. My smokes started off pleasant enough, especially after a full meal, but the large amount of latakia slowly pummeled me. By mid bowl I thought I was smoking granulated road tar ? not good. It was overwhelming! In my opinion, this is a ?small bowl? blend and an occasional one, at that. Pirate Kake may best be utilized as a blending tobacco. If the ratings here at tobaccoreviews were based on letters of the alphabet instead of stars, I would give this ?Pirate? an ?Arrrrrggggh!?

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 7.2 out of 10.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

I like Latakia. I like burley. I like them when they're blended together. But this is just TOO much. In fact, it's so much that after about two minutes into a bowl, I'm no longer capable of tasting ANYTHING, including the latakia. Currently, I'm using this as a blending agent in place of straight latakia. On the positive side: the "cut" (or presentation) of this cake tobacco is superb.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

The taste of salted leather. The faint musk of slaves rowing in the galley below deck. Burning pyres to the ancient Sumerian gods in Babylon.

All these come to mind when smoking the kake. An enjoyable time except for the musk of the galley!

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

This is latakia³. There's nothing wrong with this tobacco except for the overwhelming amount of latakia.

The latakia that Craig uses does have it's own unique taste and room note for whatever reason.

I just don't like this much latakia in my pipe at one time. PK smokes smooth and has no bad qualities if you're a latakia junkie. There's not much subtle about this blend and it starts like it finishes.

Latakia itself doesn't carry much strength so if you're looking for a nicotine wallop then you won't find it here. The overwhelming sensory overload of so much latakia might make some believe that there is "strength" in this mixture. Thus the medium rating.

If you want to try something interesting (and I'm sure that you do) then mix this about half and half with Captain Black White.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

This is taking condimental overload to the extreme. I am a Latakia lover, and have from time to time smoked straight latakia and turkish, but this may be too much. The smoke is heavy and rich and leaves wherever you are smelling like a campfire. I do enjoy this from time to time, but it is not really that great of an achievment in tobacco blending. The single clarion note LATAKIA is all you get. This would be good broken up and mixed with an overly tangy red virginia.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

12-03-2004 Put away your cutlass' maties!

Appearance and Tin aroma: Nice pressed bricks, a little more moist than I'm used to from C&D. Smells like fine, sweet Latakia

Packing and Lighting: It can be time consuming to crumble, but you must, or this will not light well. 3-4 lights to get going.

Initial Flavor: Latakia! It is smooth, no harshness at all.

Mid-Bowl: The other leaves add their support and give this blend nice body. My latakia fix is getting quite satiated.

Bottom of Bowl: A nice build up of strength, still smooth, not quite as complex as Pease's Abingdon, but nevertheless still delicious.

Overall: This is for those who love Latakia, but want something that brings the best out of that fine leaf. This blend does it excellently! Also, this is a big pipe blend, we're talking Group 6 and beyond. Small pipes just do not do this blend justice. The room note is very cigar like, so be careful or get banished to walk the plank! I much prefer this blend over "Old Ironsides" or "Black Frigate" even though those are also worthy of sea rats and scalowags. Where's my jug o'grog? argh!

Rating: 5 out of 5 big hoop earings and cutlass', Enjoy.

Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

A latakia-heavy cake? Must try! Wow, holding in the hands a brick of this extremely dark brown-black blend (no light-colored bits in it!) is a pure joy, a mouth-watering experience that makes a latakia lover like me dream of the moment in which the flame will light the crumbled tobacco in the bowl! Crumbling the cake is easy (but beware, your fingers will become dirty as if you had been playing with the ashes in your fireplace), and soon the flame can release some of the most intense flavor ever offered by a pipe tobacco. It is very strong and spicy, and the latakia is a wonderful presence throughout the bowl. As you progress, the burley makes its presence felt with a note that reminds of baking bread and rounds the harsh edges of the licorice-like (in looks and taste) black weed. Until the bottom of the bowl, it's an explosion of taste! It reminds of the intensity of Old Ironsides, but in my opinion it is slightly less pleasant. It isn't a very sophisticated, subtle or multidimensional tobacco, and it isn't suited for all-day consumption (in spite of the relatively low nicotine content). Nonetheless, it makes for a great after-lunch/dinner smoke. A must for any latakia fan, especially at the great price it is sold in bulk (and the cake form allows you to cellar it without perceivable deterioration). Just beware of the extremely strong room note: while not particularly nasty (unless you hate latakia), its ghost will haunt your house for many days, haunting your house!!!

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (20)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Well, the description states it has LOTS (emphasis theirs) of Latakia, and it does. This is a dark black brick which crumbles into wonderful flakes very easily and is able to be sprinked and packed nicely - a few lighter colored flakes are evident in the crumbling. The nose of the bag is prodigiously Latakia. After the initial char, it takes to a match easily and produces good volumes of velvety textured smoke. As it says, Latakia predominates, but there are some sweet spicy notes making their presence known as well. A few puffs into the bowl, the Latakia smooths out a bit and it is just a great smoke. A few firemen at the fire meeting asked me what died in my pipe - but, for a Latakia lover, this was an incredible blend. It remained smooth and cool throughout while the spiciness of the Turkish and the sweet underpinings of the Cavendish also made their presence known.

If you love Latakia, this is a must try. If you like Latakia, try this anyway as it is exceptionally wondeful example of the fact that a predominantly Latakia blend can be heavenly.

This one has definitely crept aboard ship and stolen my tastebuds! I was always a little leary of the thought of pirates boarding my ship and plundering it - however, if they bring a Kake of this along, I will welcome them aboard!