A unique combination of Virginias and Burleys with a slight touch of Turkish to add interest.

Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

k9zm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
k9zm (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

An interesting blend. One of those in my recent burley exploration. Very light grassy, straw-like scent. Mostly a light brown and dull yellow mixture. Not too fine of a cut, but plenty of small pieces.

The Virginia's used are light, citrus-like. The Turkish makes itself known right away with a little tingle. The burley acts to meld it all together in a fine smoke. After a few minutes a nice, light sweetness grows. I smoke a lot of my blends in large bowls and this one is well-mannered in a 1 inch Ben Wade. Plenty of flavor. Strength is just right for sipping. Another one of those blends that make my mouth water.

The flavor intensifies a bit as the bowl is smoked down, but never over-powering. Could be an all day smoke for some, in the right pipe. The lemony aspect to the room note should help it's acceptance. After the half-bowl point the burley tries to come to the front, more toasty and creamy flavors are noted. The Turkish fades a bit.

I will have to get more of this blend for the cellar.

Enjoy!

Carlos

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)

Hey, I keep sampling this C&D tobacco and I am going to get hooked. This one is just terrific. I only got enough for a couple of bowls, but I am going to fix that right away. Try this one as it is complex and just plain great. The touch of Oriental is just genius. After 2 pounds of this stuff I have to move it up to the highest as an all day and early evening puffer.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (110)

There's something about this tobacco that keeps me coming back. It's not particularly full, not too mild...It's just right!

This tobak has a clean simplicity about it. Very natural with a subdued sweetness that doesn't immediately jump out at you. Not a bite in the bowl. It's kind of a pure tobacco that isn't bland or boring.

If I have any caveat, it's that many Cornell and Diehl tobaccos seem pretty similar with one another. But seeking out the small differences can lead to a very rewarding smoke, such as Virginia Gentleman.

Govern Yourself Accordingly,

SmokeKing David

FUN WITH C&D SAMPLES, VOl III, No VIII

An odd one. The components should definitely afforded me a great smoke but this one missed the mark with me somehow. The last reviewer felt that the oriental component was too noticeable. I found it not noticeable enough. I picked it up in the room note but it was suspiciously AWOL in the flavor.

This is a light colored and light bodied blend that tasted primarily of lemon virginias. The burley did tone down the citrus flavor that I often find in lemon VA and turned it more grassy... which I appreciated. The existence of Turkish should have elevated this to something special but I found there simply wasn't enough added to give it the boost I felt it should have. As this was a sample directly from C&D, the remaining oz is going into my cellar to see how it behaves after a year. I'll update this review at that time. In the meantime, I find it hard to recommend this one. It's not a bad blend, it just doesn't distinguish itself as many of C&D's other blends do. As always, YMMV.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I am and have been a fan of Craig and C and D. I tend to like most of his blends and rarely do I come upon one that I don't like. This blend is in the pouch a khaki and light brown flake with a very light and basic tobacco aroma. My sample is pretty dry which is how tend to smoke them anyhow. It loads into the pipe very easily and lights right up on first light. Immediately this blend tasted almost like an aromatic. A very chemical and unpleasant taste and the aroma was very perfume like. I know this could be the turkish I am tasting and smelling but it is way over the top. It smoked somewhat hot as well and all I got was the sweet acrid smoke similiar to a cigarette. I do not have anything good to say about this blend other than it smokes and stays lit well all the way down to the bottom into a fine grey ash. I will not venture into this one again. Too many good C and D blend to smoke this one again.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very satisfying mixture with the taste and manners expected of a gentleman. The light citrusy casing is applied gently and adds to the pleasure of this excellent blend. The Virginia and Turkish come to the fore, with the Burley adding depth and coolness. It's been a long time since I've so enjoyed a Virginia blend. The Turkish does indeed add interest, with the Burley eliminating the usual sharpness associated with most Virginias I've tried. I can understand why the other reviewers have rated this blend so highly. If Virginia Gentleman stands the test of time, I'll be raising my rating to 4 stars.

Lucas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucas (7)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

As a cigar smoker for over 20 years, I've started taking up pipe smoking by getting a sampler pack of well rated tobaccos from Cornell and Diehl. I must say, after 5 bowls of VG, only the best cigars from Havana come even close. I agree totally with the prior reviews.

The non-burning taste of the tobacco along with with the sweet complex of aromas make this a keeper. I'll be buying a large batch of this soon.

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (10)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Carlos, I agree with you. A mainstay tobacco for me.

The Burley is the base here with the Turkish and Virginias pretty well balanced in front. Only at the end does the Burley try to assert itself. There are many nuances of flavor, sweet, spicy, sour, butter, earth, nuts, citrus. There's a lot going on. Medium in body and medium in flavor. Very, very nice.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was a nice smoke. Burns well, satisfying, and decent flavor. I don't know if I could detect the turkish component, though it did seem a bit perfumy/incensy at times. Not too grassy for a yellow virginia, which I appreciated. I definitely prefer After Hours from the same company, but this is better than anything else I tried from them. I got more smokes from this than anything else I have ever tried: 33 from 2 ounces! But even though that is good in itself, I really got tired of this by the end of the tin. Nice for every once in a while, but not every day.