Moontrance is the most popular cigar in the CAO Flavours line, and the taste translates beautifully to this unique pipe tobacco. The Virginia/black Cavendish blend uses the sweet influence of exotic fruit flavors and one of the richest of all vanillas- Bourbon vanilla from Madagascar. This is a one-of-a-kind aromatic.

BrandCAO
Taste

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

My shop was out of Blue Note, so I decided to give Moontrance a try instead. I'm glad I did because this is one of the best aromatics I've ever tried. I find Moontrance to be of exceptional quality.

Moisture level: Just about perfect. I can load this tobacco right into my pipe without having to dry it. Smokes dry to the bottom of the bowl. No bite for me.

Tin aroma: Pungently fruity with a hint of vanilla.

Flavor: As with pretty much all aromatics I've smoked, there's not much flavor on the tongue. When I exhale through my nose, however, I do readily detect fruit, bourbon and vanilla as advertised.

Room note: Very nice vanilla scent with a hint of bourbon. I also get occasional hints of an earthy, cigar-like note. I don't know if this blend has any cigar leaf in it, so maybe I'm mistaken, but there's definitely some real tobacco notes mixed in with the vanilla and bourbon.

Though I'm smoking mostly English and VA blends these days, I'm considering buying more of this blend for when I want something sweet.

matthieuduquette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matthieuduquette (12)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

In the tin. CAO Moontrance is dominated by the bourbon vanilla casing. Yet it also has a similar oak and moss note to it that is reminiscent of most Peterson blends.

As far as the mechanics. Moontrance is easy to pack and light. Smokes cool and dry. Has little tongue bite. And smokes for a good 40-50 minutes with maybe one relight.

In the pipe. Moontrance is one of the best examples of how you can case a quality tobacco successfully. The tobacco flavor in this blend is fairly pronounced. I would liken it to Dunhill Early Morning Pipe or Mississippi River. While the casing only serves to enhance the experience. Not to steal the show. The bourbon vanilla remains the dominant casing but is much more subdued than the tin note.

The room note is very nice as well. Here the oak-like note I detected in the tin comes through. It's a sweet and woody aroma that reminds me of a used wine barrel. Very nice indeed.

CAO Moontrance is a wonderful melding of good quality tobacco and a light complementary casing. It would do well for pipe smokers who smoke several times a day. Personally I smoke only once or twice a day so I would favor bolder flavored aromatics over Moontrance. Yet I will not let that personal preference effect my opinion of this blend. One that well deserves a four star rating.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (26)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I may have just had the best full bowl smoke with Moontrance. Like those coffee commercials "good to the last drop", which is why I have to give it 4 stars. Only a little moist, no bitterness, almost perfect burn. For me, the flavor is super tasty and it leaves a teasing flavor in my mouth that says let's have one more before bedtime. I will definitely keep a regular supply of it.

Pipe Used: cob

Dr. Hardcrab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hardcrab (3)

I've had the Moontrance cigars before and enjoyed them. The pipe tobacco is just te same. Not bad, but not as goid as the stick.

Pipe Used: Venturi

Purchased From: mail order (CI)

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is kind of a tough one for me to review as I really liked the second two thirds of the bowl, but the first third was dominated by a topping that I did not really like. I think it is the combination of the tropical fruit and bourbon that I just did not enjoy, but the flavoring does lighten up a bit after the first third and the remaining ride is incredible.

The underlying tobacco taste is prevalent and screams quality leaf which is something that I look for in aromatics. If the remaining flavors by CAO series share this dynamic than I will certainly look forward to trying some of the other offerings in said series.

Overall, I recommend this blend and would probably bump to four stars if I enjoyed the topping more, but it is highly likely that you may enjoy this flavor. So with that said I do recommend at least trying it if you enjoy a good tobacco taste with your aromatics.

Doggie_Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doggie_Daddy (5)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This blend is a very refreshing areo. It has a fruity flavor with notes of the woods on a fall hunting trip. A bit moist it burns well and has little or no bite. Makes me think of Blue Note.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 54

Rated Percentage = 90%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, nice round Flavor, this is a very enjoyable smoke

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Picked up a tin in a recent order.

It's a nice combination of bright and dark Virginas.

The tin note is fruity with a bit of bourbon noticeable. It smells similar to Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice.

The blend does come a bit moist, but is smoke able straight from the tin. For a better experience though a bit of drying time will help.

It takes a lighting well and burns nice and evenly to a fine white ash. Definitely a quality leaf.

The casing/top dressing, in my opinion, was done well. It's noticeable in the background but not over powering. I got just hints of vanilla and fruit with a bit of bourbon flavor here and there.

As long as you sip on it like most aromatics it shouldn't bite you much.

The room note is pleasant and even piqued my friend's interest enough to ask if he could have a bowl. He seemed to have similar feelings about the blend as I did.

Overall it's an aromatic that's worth trying out if you're into aromatics.

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This was my first pipe tobacco after transitioning from cigars. Overall a nice smoke. It was a little wet but dried out quickly and burned smooth. The taste is primarily vanilla with a hint of fruit almost as an afterthought. It was a good beginner tobacco for me.

KXkid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KXkid (12)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another hit for CAO. Very plesant smoke. The only drawback if you are a new pipe smoker (as I am)take care in packing your pipe too tightly.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you don't like aromatics or if you are diabetic stay away from this stuff. It is a type of mixture that is sometimes called a "dessert blend." It is strongly cased and it is similar to Blue Note, Melange and Sweet Mystery. I wouldn't want a steady diet of it but it nice to occasionally have a pipeful after dinner or as a nightcap. It is superior to most of the OTCs such as Captain Black.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Of the CAO aromatics, this is my favorite (not including the Bella Vanilla, which is really a different thing altogether, and very unlike the other mixtures in their aro line). Frankly I put off cracking this tin open for a long time because the others were so nasty. I got a good deal and ended up buying one tin of each. I made the mistake of smoking the Cherrybomb and Eileen's Dream first, and they were both very dissapointing. I am going to be giving each of those another smoke and then will post reviews, so I will not belabor the issue here.

Moontrance is another animal however, for a couple of reasons. First, it is a more well -balanced and less cavendish heavy blend. I like cavendish, and some of my favorite blends use it as the primary condiment leaf. The CAO cavendish, however, strikes me as similar to the goopy drugstore variety, and that I do not care for at all. This, however, has less of that effect (although it is still there, alas), and has evident virginias which are absent in the two aforementioned blends. This smells nice from the tin, but it is a lot less fruity than the description might lead you to believe, and less so than other fruit-topped or cased aromatics. With that said, the tin aroma is very pleasant with a nice sweet heaviness to it, some fruit overtones, and even a little lakeland type floral odor. The room note while smoking has even less fruit, but is a rich sweet mixtures of tobacco and honey. I really do not detect the bourbon, but for me this flavor rarely stands out, so perhaps that is just how my palate works.

Second, the burning characteristics are pleasant, and that is what pushed this into 3 star category. It is not overly damp in the tin and dries nicely. That is always a good sign, as it means that they have not used a heavy hand with the humectants. I personally try to avoid smoking those types of additives, and stay away from blends which have clearly been coated in the stuff. it takes a char nicely, and with one or two relights burns readily, and not too hot if you do not puff wildly. While it never reaches any serious level of flavor, strength, or complexity, I agree with some of the other reviewers who have noted that it improves and becomes richer (not rich, but richer than where it started from) throughout the bowl. It burns with a nice clean ash and does not seem to funk the pipe. Tongue bite is minimal to nonexistent with proper pacing.

This is nice aromatic. I do not think that it rises to the level of the truly great aros (if you are looking for this type of aromatic, Boswell does it better, and I personally like the English style aromatics which are usually less casing-forward, and offer a richer tobacco experience), but it is a tasty change of pace. It seems that a little age will do it good. This would be a good blend for smoking if you are planning on a multiple bowl day, as it is easy on the tongue and palate.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)

AS WITH ALL CAO BLENDS AROMATIC BUT THEY ARE VERY SOMKEY DUE TO THE BLACK CAVNDISH WHICH IS A GOOD NE LEVEL IS THING FOR THE FULL BODY SMOKER. THE NICOTINE LEVEL IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR A MORNING STROLL. THE AROMA IS NOT SUITABLE FOR INDDORS THEN AGAIN WHAT PIPE BLEND IS IT IS GOOD THE OUTDOOR AROMA.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Top quality aromatic through and though. Quality tobacco, top notch flavoring. Despite the description here stating it is flavored with bourbon, it is actually bourbon vanilla, big difference!

Tobacco taste comes through, and a slight sweetness of the vanilla and fruits. Flavoring is done with a light hand, and is not one bit cloying. Burns very clean and dry, which is is a hard trait to find in aromatics. I've been smoking Va flakes almost exclusively the last few months, it was nice to take a break with Moontrance.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

ok this is my favorite. For an everyday or go to, this is it for me. However in this town, availability is limited. I must go to lengths. But the taste, room, and flavor is medium enough for an everyday, all day smoke. And, She Who Must Be Obeyed doesnt wrinkle her nose too badly.

Update: I now alternate this with other aro's and enjoy the rotation very much. SWMBO is a fan. So, win-win.

ThatKidWithThePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThatKidWithThePipe (1)

I smoked this twice from two different pipes. The first, in a no name briar pipe that I restored and the second in a MO Meerschaum MacArthur style corn cob. The second was that pipe's first ever smoke. Right when you light up, you're met with cool mellow smoke with a fleeting taste. It isn't completely tasteless, but as other reviewers have said it takes some slow inhales and nose exhales to really catch the flavor. This last until about a fourth of the way into the pipe when I experienced a rich, fruit taste. In the briar pipe this lasted, quite enjoyably, for the rest of the smoke. In the corn cob, it did come but was only there for about an eighth of the rest of the bowl. I definitely enjoyed this more out of my briar pipe than my corn cob but it was an extremely good smoke with very little bite. One of the few tobaccos I've smoked that didn't draw disgusted comments from my Mother! In the end, it is a good blend to smoke if you are a fan of aromatics, but stay away if you tend to enjoy english blends more.

Dr Pipeflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr Pipeflake (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Many Aros don't work for me. This one, however, does. Very little bite when the tobacco is given a little time to dry and smoked a little on the slower side. Luscious vanilla and fruit flavors. As far as smoking around others, I suspect your wife or girlfriend will beg you to smoke this one. A total departure from the Dunhill london mixture I smoke mostly. I will say I picked up some of the moontrance cigars as well just to try. I'd recommend those for something different as well, if you are so inclined.

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the few aromatic blends that really wowed me. Honestly i didnt have very high expectations on a ten dollar tin however i really did enjoy it. It maintained a consistent burn the entire time and the room note alone is reason enought to purchase another tin. My girlfriend constantly asks me to put the pipe out and smoke the one she likes (of course referring to this one). If your a fan of aromatics this is the one to try.

takkun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takkun (9)

My first tinned tobacco. I was interested in CAO after smoking a Gold Honey robusto cigar of theirs. I'm not much a cigar fan, but that was one spectacular smoke. So I picked this up to venture away from bulk aromatics and into better, less-flavored blends. I was blown away opening this up. The packaging (as are all of CAOs) was beautiful, and the tin note, which smelled of passionfruit, honey, and (what I can now discern from my learned knowledge of tobacco) some virginas. The flavoring is fairly faint while smoking but can be picked up through very gentle sips and nose-exhales. As the smoke progresses, the topping burns off and the smoke becomes buttery. Very close to Blue Note but more subdued.

panfolk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panfolk (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The vanilla and honey flavors come through well. The fruit flavor is sweet but not overwhelming.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

My journey of the briar has brought me to explore aromatics. I tend to reach for non-aromatics most of the time. However, occasionally I'll reach for the aromatics and I've discovered many that I enjoy a great deal. Unfortunately, for my tastes. This isn't one of them.

Taste: Chemical factory. I didn't get any hint of the vanilla and the fruit notes came across as very artificial and chemical tasting. I understand that many aromatics have a tendancy to taste artificial. This particular blend is just a chemical taste to me. I didn't like it at all.

Room note: Pleasant. It smells nice enough, although I was a little disapointed here as well. The bargain bag of Smokers Pride Whiskey smells much better.

Final thoughts: I suppose they can't all be winners. The biggest turn off I had with this blend is the bite. It bites really hard. I truely expected this to be better. Maybe I got a bad tin? I suppose that is possible, but I'm not buying a second tin on the chance that may be true.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)

Remarkable close to Eileens Dream with a couple subtle differences. But they do share one bad trait in common. Bad chcmical perfume thing going on.

Complex indeed and very sweet but I would shine brightly if it were not for the chemical flavor that dominates everything.

This would be a great tobacco were it not for that. I can't even identify it specifically. Its just got this lakeland perfume chemical thing going on in front of the good stuff. I gave this to a friend who actually got sick from it.

This stuff is pricey enough, so don't waste your money honey on chemical perfumes in the toby.