Expertly blended by master blenders of Golden Virginia and Mellow White Burley. The Cavendish style blend then topped with a subtle mixture of Buttered New England and Jamaican Rums that produce a taste bite free with a captivating aroma.

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

2.6
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A very pleasant mix of gold Virginia and white burley topped with two different types of rum. I taste the Jamaican more. The Virginia is slightly noticeable, the burley a little more so. Smoked at a moderate rate, it does well. Only fast puffers will experience a hot smoke. If it has any drawbacks, it's the lack of strength, though I enjoy the smooth flavor, and the lack of harshness. Nice burn rate, too. Those who like very mild aromatics may rate this higher than I did, though I wouldn't mind smoking more of it.

ravkesef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ravkesef (11)

Nice and smooth, like a hot buttered rum. It burns slowly, and burned all the way down to a medium gray ash. Even the dottle was not overbearing, something that is often characteristic of aromatics. When sipped slowly, the taste remains sweet throughout, yet there is an enjoyably smooth taste of tobacco pervading the smoke. I regard this as a very pleasant change of pace aromatic, and will make this a part of my regular rotation. As others have noted, this should be smoked in a pipe dedicated to aromatics.

I'll give this one two stars, but that is only because it just isn't my style. I'm not an Altadis fan in general, and prefer Lakelands (English aromatics) to these (to me) way too sweet and goopy offerings in general, so I was only able to get through a couple bowls of this before giving up on it, and gifting the rest to a pipe smoker friend more appreciative of this sort of aromatic. The sample had been originally given to me as a sample, so I didn't spend any money on it, beyond the cost of eventually shipping it away.

I can't find anything to say negative about it, except that it is just not a blend I can smoke, and will not be buying any. Different strokes for different folks, and if it sounds like your sort of thing, by all means, give it a try!

When it comes to Rum in a tobacco blend, I am much more into something like Samuel Gawith Navy Flake, in which the rum is more of simply an element (a light topping or perhaps "dousing") of a fine VA and Latakia flake, because Altadis Buttered Rum is just too sweet; and well, "buttered" for me.

Looking at some other reviews, it seems the general consensus is that this is not a particularly goopy or sweet aromatic. I guess this goes to show where my pipe tobacco loyalties lie...

Happy Smoking!

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)

No matter how you cut it, this is essentially a drug store tobacco - but in the finest traditions of drug store tobbies. It's a mild, lightly aromatic VA/Burly blend. It's mild in strength, but bites a little. It's easy to smoke, the room note is very nice, the "tin note" is light and it tastes like it smells.

If Dunhill tobaccos are formal attire (tux and all), and Peterson Tobaccos are "academic formal" (dockers and a tweed sport coat), then this is just lounging around the house in a pair of cargo pants and a comfy sweater. Basically, just a good blend for those times when you just want a pleasant smoke with not complicated nuances to ponder.

This is one of my "house blends." I keep a jar of this stuff around the house at all times, and smoke it in my pipes with the largest bowls. Good stuff.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (29)

A very pleasant and tasty blend. I really enjoyed the butteriness and the rum flavoring used in this blend.

I was thinking of the Holidays when I bought this and it does remind me of a "Hot Toddy" my parents used to drink during the Christmas Season.

The tobacco smokes well. Doesn't gunk up. Has no bite and the flavor is consistent throughtout the bowl. No bitterness or drastic change during the smoke.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and might order some more in the near future. Especially - when I want get into the "Holiday Spirit."

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)

I was in my local B&M buying some other blends (just to have on hand), when the shopkeep offered a bowl of this up for sampling. I packed my complimentary bowl (thanks, Jon!), and sat in the lounge enjoying a pipeful and some good baseball conversation with the group.

The Buttered Rum was at a fine moisture level to pack and light right out of the jar. It lit easily, burned nicely down to a light gray ash, and was pleasantly flavorful. The rum flavor was subtle, but added a nice finish to each sip. It seems that the tobacco (mostly burley?) was of a good quality, and didn't bite at all. Although I didn't pick up any on this trip, it will surely find it's way into the humidor in the future.

All-in-all, I think Buttered Rum would be a nice tobacco to turn to on occassion, as it takes little attention to smoke well, and provides a good smoking experience - for both smoker and innocent bystander!

TonyC

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

A pleasant rhum flavoured smoke and one I would recommend to a beginner...or a pipe smoker daring to experiment with more rhum flavoring in their tobac lineup. Smells pleasant in the pouch and provides enjoyable flavour throughout the totality of the smoke. It's a delicate taste avoiding some of the harshness of old Rum and Maple I used to smoke in my youth and for me then was so strong I needed to blend it down. Actually, when I smoke rhum tobac today I really want to taste the "rhum," so that's why I couldn't give this "Montego Bay" blend by Tobacco Galleria ** stars. Happy hunting!

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

Altadis' Buttered Rum reminds me of tobaccos I smoked as a kid, 40+ years ago; what I might call 'barely' aromatics as opposed to 'light' aromatics. The flavors of the tobaccos used are predominant rather than the flavoring added. In fact the casing is very light, which is why I'd call it 'barely' aromatic. It might be called a 'codger' aromatic by some people; mot flowery nor perfumed. I think it smells fine when smoking it but I doubt if anyone who did not like tobacco would like it. It's not one of those aromatics that win over non-smokers but it doesn't stink to high heaven either.

It packs and lights easily and stays lit without any problem. Once lit, and settled down, the flavoring is apparent for the first half of the bowl or so. The tobaccos are never pushed to the side, but after the first half bowl or so the flavorings gradually step aside and let the tobaccos themselves completely take charge. And they are quite good; perhaps not the finest tobaccos in the world, but nevertheless very good.

Unlike plenty of aromatics the last part of the bowl, rather than being sour, is really full of the flavor or the tobaccos and very enjoyable. That taste lingers in my mouth for 15 minutes or so after the smoke, making it very tempting to pack up another bowl and have another round.

It may bite if you really force it but it never bit me, and I do tend to smoke rather hard. At least my pipes are usually hot by the end of a bowl and I'm told that means I'm smoking too hard.

I've taken straight tobaccos, mixed them, lightly flavored them, and cellared them for a few months to marry, and come up with some very similar blends as this. Because I have them, and like them very much, I doubt I'll be buying any more of this. But if I had not gone to that trouble to make my own I probably would be turning to this tobacco regularly.