Cavendish cut burley, Turkish, Latakia and Perique. Similar to the old Balkan Sobranie White.

Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Strength
Taste
Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The claim that this tobacco is similar to Balkan Sobranie White is somewhat true. The tin note is almost exact, but the taste is somewhat lacking. One thing for instance is that from my recollection Balkan Sobranie White was a VA based tobacco. But these are not detractions from the tobacco unless you are buying it specifically to replace Balkan Sobranie White (which goes for a pretty penny on eBay). The tobacco is a beautiful mixture of colors and is inviting to the eye as much as the nose. The tobacco burns very well and does not ever get too hot or wet. It has a very nice Latakia note that is complimented by the Turkish and Burly. I also like the added condiment of Perique it all seems to be in quite good balance. This blend is one of my new favorites, not because it is a replica of Balkan Sobranie, but because it is a good blend in its own right. If you want to have a bowl similar to Balkan Sobranie try Smokers Haven Our Best Blend.

For me this was more of a Burley blend than an English/Balkan. Where in Red Odessa the Virginias simply provide a base, here the Burleys are an equal player with the other components. All four components are very well balanced providing a fairly complex and enjoyable smoke. My personal preference is for Red Odessa, but if you're a lover of Burley I suspect that you'll really enjoy this blend and be grateful that you tried it. Give it a shot.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

I think I will provisionally use a new term in describing Odessa - an American Scottish. Burley used in English Latakia Balkans is often termed American English, so why not? Creamy, buttery, tasty; the high grade Burley gives legs to the sweetish Turkish Izmir and the Latakia is wisely used for spice and depth.

This could be an all day blend for me and I might in future bump the rating further. Wife likes the aroma even. Further use of positive adjectives would serve little purpose. I like this one very much.

Pipe Used: Large billiards

Age When Smoked: New stock

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)

Pouch note... ahhh... BALKAN/ENGLISH! Earthy caraway seed and cumin spice with cocoa, some honey, a little smoke, and a touch of fig/raisin. Nice and familiar territory here...

Char and initial draw has that familiar English perfume and earthy spice. Considerably less "bready" character than I typically pickup from the others in this style I've been lucky enough to try. This still has fantastic body, a savory richness. The lat in here plays second fiddle, it's ever present but mild, the orientals are taking up the bulk of the flavor with more of the caraway seed-like spice and warm rich nuttiness.

Room note, I was outdoors but still caught a waft of a rich, almost perfume character which was very nice. The lat didn't make a strong presence in it so despite the humidity outside where I smoked, I didn't feel like I had to change clothes when I came back inside.

Nic strength was agreeable. I felt it but wasn't overpowered at all.

All in all, I've had 5 or 6 English/Balkan blends including this one. This one is definately is a keeper - it's real good if you are keen on English style blends.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown (gifted)

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

I have no reference to Balkan Sobranie White, but from a C&D perspective, I would consider Odessa "Engine 99 Lite," although Engine 99 is itself a hybrid blend. The Turkish and burley are predominant, with Latakia and perique in support roles. Overall, this is a quality, medium smoke with good nicotine content; note that the Virginia is noticably absent, and you may miss it. But if you desire something fresh, toasty and straightforward, Odessa wll fit the bill nicely. I crave it sometimes as a change of pace, usually during the weekend in the late morning with a cup of coffee or in the afternoon with a beer.

C&D makes several variants of this mixture (Odessa, Red Odessa, Engine 99, Orient Express, Pirate Kake), each with its own twist. Read the ingredients and choose according to your own tastes. Or experiment with them all to see what you like best.

berger_ar_fur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
berger_ar_fur (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

WAOW What a nice blend ,a big flavour , a complex smoking taste ,a really an "all along the day" blend for me

No, it’s not similar to Balkan Sobranie White because this is an American English blend. The very nutty, molasses sweet burley is the star component. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is an important secondary player that never takes a lead. At most, it occasionally competes with the burley, though it seems just a little less potent in the last third of the blend as the Turkish shows itself a mite more. The Turkish is woody sweet with a touch of sour, and lurks in the background just below the level of the raisin, plum and peppery perique. Both underscore virtually every puff. The nic-hit is just a little over the mild threshold. Burns well, cool, clean and smooth with a rich, mildly complex flavor from start to finish. There is an occasional light inconsistency in what you'll taste, but for more often than not, you'll observe all the flavors you're supposed to in each draw. Won’t bite, and has no dull or harsh spots. Easily burns to ash with very few relights, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a nice smoky, woody sweet after taste with a little spice. The room note is almost sweet campfire-like. An all day smoke.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

History....Thats what this reminds me of. Old english libraries on estates of well to do gentleman..... This starts with a wonderful smokey taste, metamorphasing to a blend of Turkish, burley and Cyprian latakia. Like a gourmet coffee- Dark and tasty. I'm sure the perique is there, but its a team thing- so I never noticed any one thing performing a solo act. Its not for the aromatic follower, This is an ENGLISH. I was advised by Mr. Tarler that this was his dedication to Balkan Sobranie White. Never having tried B.S.W.- Its just plain good to me. I hope people give more attention to C&D's bulk blends- Pretty packaging is nice, But there are glories out there- and some secrets are forth discovering. If you like a good balkan- You owe it to yourself... **I have noticed this will put you to sleep if your not careful....

The tobacco itself is a medium ribbon chopped at different lengths. There is a mix of colors from yellow to black with a couple of shades of brown. Pouch note is light latakia and a little earthiness. The blend came it a very good level of hydration for smoking.

Smoked, this is oriental-forward. There is a slightly herbal quality to the flavor. My daughter did not comment on incense, and she does sometimes in an oriental-forward blend. There is a slight plum from the perique every now and then, and it did not present as spice or pepper to me. The burley gives an earthy depth to the smoke, and there is less latakia in the profile than you might expect from the pouch note. You know it is there, but it is not the dominant flavor.

This is a good smoke but not too remarkable for me.I doubt I will get this again, but it is enjoyable and easy to recommend. If you are interested in orientals and want to dip your toe in the latakia waters, this would be a great one to try.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

This is the first disappointment for me from C&D. Actually, I think it's a matter of body chemistry. The flavor is there, and I agree with most of what Talonr1701 said, but it's gets really bitter and ashy tasting towards mid bowl. I wish it weren't so, but this blend gets me all choked up, and not in a good way. Is it similar to BSW? Well, a Frankfurter is similar to a Nathan's hot dog, but not even close to the real thing.

Having only finished 4 out of 8 ounces in various pipes, I may revisit this review, but doubt it. I think this is a good candidate for the next pass of the tobacco box. Off to try Star of the East.......

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

It's been a while since my sample arrived in a mild state of dehydration. Time and introduction to osmosis filtered water brought it back to life.My experience with this blend is favorable. The nutty sweet Burley is made user friendly by the Cavendish Cut, the Turkish and Perique. I find easy pleasure without being mindful of some of Burley's undesirable characteristics - excessive bite and a tendancy to turn bitter if smoked too fast. The Cyprian leaf provides counterpoint, much the same as harmonica in a blues band. Burning it to the bottom of the bowl will generate no regrets, nor fade of flavor. The typical heavy Balkan presence is not here. Letting it settle and marry with time is of great benefit, otherwise the smoke may be a bit harsh. Regge music seems to enhance the smoking of this multidimensional blend. It's worth a try to see if you can find some of the magic.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an old signed Ural

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)

General Comment for All C&D Blends. So far, all my samples have burned clean and dry. They contain quality ingredients. If purchased fresh from C&D, I find that I must adjust the moisture content, and let them rest for 3-6 months before sampling. They change flavor dramatically in just a few months.

#968 Odessa Looks like a tobacco that I would enjoy. It has a full range of colors. It has the cut and pouch aroma of the English blends that I prefer. The Turkish and Latakia dominate the pouch aroma. It has more than the average zing when blown out through the nose. All this being said, I find it lacking for me. I should find this to be a satisfying blend, but I do not. I notice that there is also a #968R, Red Odessa that substitutes Virginia for the Burley in #968. I will assume that the "R" version would be more appealing to me. In fact, one of my favorites is #99 Engine 99 which is described as a mixture of 968R and Pirate Kake.

For those that find #99 a bit strong, and for those that lean to Burleys more than Virginia's, this could be a good middle of the road English blend. I will have to order the #968R version before making further comments.

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (11)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

To me this is an oriental blend. It is the orientals and perique I notice first supported by burley, while the latakia is a condiment. But all 4 meld well together. I find that I enjoy burley-based oriental/latakia blends more than Virginia-based. Smokes well and no bite. It is 1 of my mainstays and I smoke it mostly throughout the day. So, obviously a 4 star blend for me. Price point in bulk is hard to beat.

Pipe Used: large to extra large bowls

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Leaf Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leaf Packer (15)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Burley and perique stand first and second while the Turkish and latakia and some smoothness and depth. Nicely blended, full body an very enjoyable. After drying a bit there is some burley bite if smoked slowing there is no bite to speak of. Smoke's clean and very little dottle, depending on bowl, I find a bull dog or Dublin works best both with small bowl's. Is not my every day smoke, all day smoke , however goes hand and hand late evening with a shot of old #7 Black Jack Daniels .. enjoy.

Pipe Used: briars

Purchased From: tobaccco pipes

Similar Blends: Pirate kake.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Here's a colorful tobacco, with bits ranging from pale yellow to dark black. The advertising claims it's a copy of Balkan Sobranie "White", but my taste buds can't find much relation between the two. I think Odessa is better, really, as evidenced by the 2 Star placement of BSW. It's a medium-strength smoke, with a dusty smell that reminds me of old libraries. It doesn't have the bite that Balkan does, and is a much smoother and mellower smoke. If it has faults, it's that, despite this mellowness, it can still be a little rough when compared to the 5 Star tobaccos. Also, the taste is good, but not exceptional - it's a hearty meat & potatoes supper to Winter's Tale's Chicken Madras.