A heavy Perique based blend with Red Virginia and mild Cavendish that comes close to the famous Escudo.

Notes: Exclusive was introduced in August, 1996.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsCavendish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.9

This came very moist and was a bit difficult to deal with. Smoke it too moist and it was hot and steamy. Too dry and it gets a bit harsh. Getting it just right required babysitting it. When just right the 3 components were nicely balanced and a pleasure to smoke. The wetter it was the more forward the Perique. The dryer it was the more forward the Cavendish (a strong Burley). The Virginias seemed to stay the same regardless. I liked it when it was just right, but it's just too big of a pain to deal with. As for being like Escudo, there was a passing resemblance when the moisture level was correct.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I got several samples of C&D tobaccos from Craig Miller. I have avoided C&D blends due to some mediocre reviews in my early smoking days, and because the vast number of their blends would fuel a massive TAD hoarding if I liked them. I think that may be inevitable now.

Approximately 1/3 bright, brown and black tobaccos (each), this blend is touted as being quite heavy in Perique. C&D says it is an Escudo-clone attempt. I don?t agree, because this is less dark, more fragrant. There is a comparable richness and back-of-the-throat sharpness that I enjoy in both, but this is not quite as full-flavored. It packs a good nicotine wallop, though. I think Two Friends Redwood is a closer comparison.

Not much top range, but the Perique tang compensates nicely, keeping this lively. The Virginias shine in the mid-range, sweet, natural and smooth with a texture that I can only compare to a big, oakey California Chardonnay. The Perique is beautifully integrated, adding a rich, tingly/warm note that ?peppery? just doesn?t capture. Overnight DGT boosts the Virginia element wonderfully, while the Perique integrates even further. While not a wildly complex blend (neither is Escudo, to my tastes), Exclusive develops gradually like a good Virginia blend should. Highly recommended.

Addendum: To get the most from the Virginias, this blend should be 'air-smoked', a/k/a with lips not quite sealed to let in a bit of outside air with each puff. There is a touch of ammonia in the room aroma, but it doesn't detract much from the experience. There is also a slight bitterness in the flavor that somehow works. The bass range is mostly Perique. This does tire the tongue due to its strength and sharpness, so it is not an all-day blend.

A friend sent me a sample of 967 to smoke and review. Thanks to him for the tobacco and thanks to C&D for creating it. Escudo was always a favorite occasional smoke of mine. Blends too heavy on the Perique are not favorites and I never found Escudo to be overwhelming in the "P" department. Nor, IMO, is C&D's Exclusive.

Heavy on strength and taste, this is a delightful change of pace smoke with a more sweet that sour lingering effect. It will churn the bellies of those who can withstand only the lighter fare.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Oddly, This tobacco doesn't get enough credit in my book. This is a WONDERFUL Va/Per with just a hint of cav that give the Overall smoke a hint of sweetness. It's wonderful in any pipe I have come across, and the room note is quite nice. I have heard this liked to Escudo, which was a wonderful blend in it's own right, but quite frankly, I like this better. It's in the bulk section for C&D so it is even a bit cheaper.

Very much worth a look.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This will be somewhat of a mixed review because I've been sampling this stuff for about 3 years now when I want a full flavored Perique blend. When first bought, I loved this stuff. It was never anything like Escudo to me, but excellent in it's own right. Fairly sweet and strong in perique with a great aroma. Unfortunately, I don't think this stuff ages very well. The last 6 months have melded the tobaccos perfectly- almost to the point of being bland. The strength is still there, but the contrasting sweetness and strength I used to get when new is gone. There's also an odd flavor which might be the cavendish part changing over time. I don't know. So, basically, excellent when new and only so-so now. I'd buy it again but wouldn't age it this time.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

I taste the ingredients that that Escudo has, but they are not as well integrated in this blend. There are several reasons for this, namely the Big E is aged in a roll, and it's tinned rather than bulk. This should be cellared for about a year, then it would be a stellar blend. I might try it again, having it pressed by C&D. It works for 417P. Worth a try if you are tired of paying the cost of Escudo.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've had this sealed in a jar for a few years as I do all my C&D products, which I normally love by the way. Upon opening, the aroma was almost too much. Too much what? Too much cheap chocolate topping, or whatever it is on the Cavendish, perhaps? Too much perique? Not likely for me, but reports claim Exclusive contains upwards of 50% perique. I have smoked perique undiluted, directly from Percy Martin's farm and I found the aromas quite different. Too much red Virginia? I don't think so. Whatever it is I don't find it particularly enticing, but once lit tin aromas can be moot, and in this case "almost" is.

My second problem is it would not dry out. I left it out to dry in my air conditioned home for 13 days on a piece of newspaper before giving up. If I squeezed it between my thumb and fingers it would stick in a big clump. PG? Not what I'm used to from my friends at C&D.

I packed a pipe, a large for me GBD 135, a medium billiard from the 50's-70's. One of my favorite and best performers. It didn't want to light very easily so I sat it down overnight for a little DGT. Upon lighting this morning everything is going smoothly, performance-wise. It's burning nice and slowly, but not going out either, as I type this review.

The taste is fair, leaning a little too much to the aromatic side for me, but not without redeeming values. A somewhat pleasant chocolate flavor with some perique "figginess". I can't seem to find the Virginia in there. It has a somewhat nice nicotine effect for an "aromatic" type blend.

Exclusive will probably never be in my daily rotation, but one I'll surely finish given enough time. I'll give it 2.5 stars and call it "somewhat recommended"; it will surely find an audience. Try a small sample if you think this is too strange for you. Who knows you just might like it.

As a replacement for Escudo, forget about it. Judge it on its own merits.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (41)

This could become my all day smoke of choice. I usually don't enjoy cavandish and can barely taste it in this blend. Very enjoyable and satisfying.

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a Va/Per smoker for the most part, and have had this sample for over a year. Decided to give it a twirl in a Kurt Huhn Tulip.

Initial flavors were full on strong Perique, almost unbearable. When I think of heavy Perique VA/Pers, I compare them to the likes of Fillmore or Telegraph Hill. This one was a lot stronger in that dept.

Started harsh on exhale out the nose for the first half bowl, but managed to smooth into a slightly softer tone that allowed a little bit of the Virginia to make an appearance.

I did experience a nicotine kick at the bottom, which took me by surprise.

overall: A little too strong on the Perique, not enough of the VAs came through for me. Not a bad blend, as it burned well enough. The differing sizes of tobacco cuts is bothersome, some bits are so small they come through the draught hole and others are too large to fit in the pipe. I'd recommend this to someone who feels Fillmore or Telegraph Hill aren't strong enough for them. If you prefer VA/Pers with a nice hint of Perique, this will be too much. I didn't think this was anywhere near Escudo in flavor.