Sutliff's match for Dunhill's Nightcap.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
2.6
PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)

This is no way near the original Dunhill Nightcap in both taste and strength. To me, this is a mild aromatic blend with its own strength and weaknesses.

Pre-lighting, the aroma is very pleasant. It reminds me of roasted nuts with a light hint of vanilla and caramel. Mind you this is not as bad as it sounds.

The sample that I received was perfectly humidified. It packed well and required no re-lighting as it just kept on going, and going, and going, until it burned itself out. It has a very light aromatic bouquet with very pleasant taste.

Trying to be as objective as possible, as a tobacco, this can hold its own. The only drawback is its strength which tends to be more on the mild side in comparison to the original Dunhill Nightcap, at least in this humble smoker's opinion.

For smokers who do not like a strong aromatic smoke, this might be a fit. Best way is to try it. Overall, I would RECOMMEND this.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Why do tobacco companies insist on producing "fill in the blank" match tobaccos? Bad enough when they do it with tobaccos that are no longer around, but to do it when the tobacco is still being produced is suicide. Name your tobacco something else and let it stand or fall on its own merits. That being said, Nightcap Match is a decent enough tobacco. the above content lists only Virginias and Perique, but I swear that there is a smell and taste of Latakia. Just enough to let you know that it's there. Would I buy this again? Sure, why not. It's not offensive; it has a decent taste, and it's affordable. Would I smoke it everyday? Probably not since I blend my own everyday tobaccos, but if I didn't do my own blending I probably would (smoke it everyday). Three stars (four if they name it something else).

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (54)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Recd this....stuff with my first quality baccy purchase of....wait for it-Orlik Golden Sliced. My wife made the purchase on my behalf, and the cigar shop "threw in a pouch" of this impersonator, as he was just started carrying Sutliffe as his first line. Not positive but I think Sutliffe might be manufactured through Altadis....which would make perfect sense ( shop ended up selling those tins at 2 for 1 just to clear off that dusty shelf). Do not waste money on this or any other "match" in this line-I recd if for free and I wouldn't forward it to anyone else. It's that bad. The cat who said it was great only has reviews on the Altadis Dunhill Match blends, therefore hasn't a 'pot to pee in' so to speak.

The one positive that became of that experience is that I got the same shop owner to carry the real deal, so I got to try Nightcap and EMP very early in my pipe smoking experience-setting the bar for future tobacco purchases.

Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I posted a review on the original dunhill nightcap and it was the greatest tobacco i have had yet........ but i bought this to enjoy dunhill nighcap in what was suppose to be a "match" and it is so horrible. According to the tobacco review info on the match it is missing the two types of tobacco that set it aside from the rest. Latakia and Turkish.

No flavor, burns my tongue and smells rotten.

Will never buy this rip off again.

kdbarr63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kdbarr63 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an excellent tobacco. I have never had the original but if it is better than this then it is one awesome tobacco. Easy on the tongue. Full flavor with lots of thick smoke. Slow burning.

Buy some of this as you will not be disappointed.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)

I've never smoked Dunhill pipe tobacco. I got this stuff and like it. It's got a nice earthy flavor. It smells like a bbq pit upon first lighting, but mellows after a while.

pipe smoking country boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe smoking country boy (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

verry good smoking tobacco.picked up a pound of this when i could'nt get dunhill nightcap. verry pleased on how close to dunhill it is. this is my all day smoke. verry simple but hits the spot.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

I never smoked Dunhill's original Nightcap so I've no idea how this compares to it. Altadis' blend however, is a pleasant smoke. Yes, there are plenty of English blends out there, and I'm sure there are plenty better than this, but this is still a good smoke. If I were naming it I wouldn't call it Nightcap, and probably wouldn't have the original either. This is not how I would end the day. Rather it's how I would start it.

Like the other Altadis Dunhill matches this goes great with strong, chickoried, coffee. Something about these tobaccos just seem perfectly made to match that. Together they make one another taste better than each alone. It would be real easy to get a full overload of caffeine and nicotine if I let myself go and consumed both all day long.

Nothing about this really stands out as distinctive however. I find it easily confused with a number of other English blends, particularly the Altadis Dunhill matches. But I still find them all quite good and wouldn't complain if I had a lifetime supply of any of them to the exclusion of all other English blends.

This pouch reached me with just the right moisture content. It's springy but not wet. Easy to pack and light. Keeps burning without a problem. And when it finally goes out on its own there not enough left to bother re-lighting. Leaves no goop in the pipe. Never turns sour.