Here's a great transition for the cigar smoker who wants to smoke a pipe but would miss the flavor of a cigar, or for the pipe smoker who enjoys the occasional stogie. The blend uses a blend of burleys (including dark-fired), some Virginia and Oriental, a touch of unflavored Black Cavendish and Perique and Maduro cigar leaf for a mildly sweet, earthy flavor.

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.5oz Tin, 8oz Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (55)

One of the major attractions of this blend to me was the omission of Latakia. Used to love the stuff but don't really care for it now except when it is used sparingly. I wasn't really expecting a blend that tasted like a cigar and for the most part my expectations were right. Stogie might give you a smoking experience similar to smoking a cigar but does not really taste like one.That being said what you do have here is a really enjoyable smoke. I generally don't like burley much but even though it might be the largest percentage in this blend it just plays nicely with the other tobaccos.There is enough Virginia here to make me happy and the addition of the Orientals is just brilliant. Unlike Pipestud I like the inclusion of the Perique here particularly since I really seem to enjoy Perique and Orientals together. All in all this is a great blend. It has good strength ,complexity and NO Latakia.That makes it another big time winner from Russ Ouilette for me.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (12)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

It fits a mood, it has an aroma of a cigar, the thick, creamy smoke of a cigar, and a very faint cigar flavor. When I first bought this tin I smoked 3-4 bowls of it in as many days.

It is not a cigar replacement, it is a cigar influenced pipe tobacco. I enjoy it well enough for a change of pace, as a rich flavored, low bite, smoke with a slight tendency to burn a little hot.

It does smell very much like a cigar, which keeps me on my porch when I could be smoking a more aromatic blend indoors.

Pipe Used: Cob, Meerschaum, Edwards Benton

Age When Smoked: Unknown (purchased 2/2014)

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I always had mixed thoughts about this blend. It was the only Hearth & Homes I finished the entire tin.

Hearth & Homes always seems to have this weird taste to it. Not sure what it is, but it's something i'm not fond of.

This blend did have hope because it was full bodied, and had a good flavor. It wasn't trying to be something else.

I give this two stars, but add an extra, because I would like to see others try this, and give thoughts.

I would also like to say C & D makes great cigar blends, if your on a search.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, Nording Billiard

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)

I really appreciate what the blender is trying to do here. It's not like smoking a cigar in your pipe. It's more subtle and ambitious than that by far. What the blender has tried to do is interpret cigar smoking for the medium of a pipe. It's a stretch, I know, but it's like listening to a jazz ensemble play Bach. You could say it's Bach, and you'd be right. But you wouldn't have said half of what's going on. The rhythms and instruments have changes, emphasis on notes and phrases change, so that what results is a new piece of music from the marriage of two worlds.

Cigar smoke is earthy, smooth, low-toned. This tobacco uses Cavendish and orientals to add sweetness and mid-range, and then a touch of perique to finish the spectrum and balance (but not cancel) the bottom notes of the cigar leaf. If I weren't over sensitive to perique I'd say it's a perfect "cigar blend" for the pipe. But I am oversensitive to perique and that blunts the experience for me.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: 2-5 days

baileyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
baileyboy (3)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This tobacco taste like described in the description, mildly sweet earthy/ [smooth]tobacco flavor, with a touch of pepper on the finish. Its a bit creamy, and the draw flavor stays around for a few seconds in full force after the exhale, which i found very nice, then slowly tapers to a finish of the same flavors but more subdued with the added touch of pepper. Medium bodied overall, and very nice burn.

I didnt get much cigar flavor, but the overall presentation of the flavor reminds me of a cigar a little bit.

Overall this is a nice tobacco. Im not too versed in pipe tobacco yet, but this is a satisfying smoke(thats coming from a full bodied cigar smoke :D). Reccomended.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (53)
Strong Mild Full Strong

Judging by the ingredients, I should have liked this blend. Unfortunately, it is completely ruined by the type or quality of the fire cured burley in it. It is the same one I taste in LJ Heart Burley, only there is more of it. It tastes like the nasty flavor one gets at the bottom of the bowl when breaking in a brand new briar. Aging does not mitigate this. The name is also very misleading. With a name like "Stogie", one would expect a strong cigar leaf presence, but there is merely a hint of it. If you like cigar blends, go with C&D Billy Bud or Perreti Cuban Mix.

Emil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emil (8)

In my opinion both the name and description are very misleading. There is nothing in this that reminds me even faintly of a stogie.

This being said, its not a bad tobacco although I wanted and expected something entirely different. While not being bad, it has way too much perique for my taste.

Behaves well and everything, but not my cup of tea. Strongly reminds me of Germain´s Royal Jersey, a blend I could not stand because of its too high Perique level. Tastes like lingonberries...and thats a taste I want with my soymeatballs with gravy, not in my pipe.

However, I see why many people like this! Try it if you like your Perique to be blended with a heavy hand. Its an interesting blend after all.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Somewhere along the line I got me a hankerin' for some cigar blends. A while back I picked up a couple different cigar blends and they were just fine. I like the punch they had to them. More recently I wondered if a non-latakia cigar blend so I inquired. It was suggested to me to try Stogie nad VA Spice. I ordered some Stogie and was pleasantly surprised. Boy there's alot of tobaccos in this blend. I was looking for a non-latakia cigar blend with still the same punch as the others I've smoked. Well I found one here that is acceptable. It has about a medium srength to it but since I was looking for a cigar blend that I will smoke in the house this fits the bill. You see, I've agreed not to smoke Latakia in the house. It seems that wives nad latakia dont' mix well. While the total combination tastes pretty good I have to say that the cigar doesn't come through as a lead player like I was hoping. As a matter of fact nothing here is a lead player but it's working for what I wanted a non-latakia for. I'm giving this blend a weak THREE stars today.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)

Short story: this is a very good blend that has a slight cigar essence noticable...lots of component tobaccos for interest...bowl & burn friendly...well priced...currently readily available...makes you glad you smoke a pipe and that God developed Burley tobaccos for us to enjoy. Sidebar Note: If you're taking a journey through cigar blend territory, be sure to stop along the way and check out 'Storm Front' by John Patton.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (33)

A delicious blend of tobaccos with plenty of flavor, easy on the mouth and moderate complexity. The body comes from a variety of burley tobaccos and Perique. Subtle flavor notes come from the Virginias, Orientals and perhaps the cigar leaf, the latter being more muted than I would have desired. Expectations aside, this just tastes really good. The more I smoke it, the more I like it and want it. Next time I order, I might asked for less Perique and more cigar leaf to see what that does.

smokindave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokindave (2)

Love this blend. Switched over to pipes from cigars, so I was looking for a cigar-like flavor. After trying a few of the cigar blends out there, I now know that this is not really possible.

There are periods of rich, nutty cigar tastes, but the experience is completely different than smoking a cigar. I like this blend better than G.L. Pease "Key Largo", which I just tried recently also, but both of them are good cigar blends. I just find that Stogie is a little richer and has a little more Vitamin N.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

Just when I thought it would be hard to beat Habana Daydream another cigar leaf blend enters my world. I ordered 4 ounces of this blend and it did arrive very dry, as mentioned below. I needed just a touch of moisture for this one not to burn too fast.

Stogie is an excellent blend and every bit as good as the C&D offering. I was fully prepared not to like this one because of the Burley and Black Cavendish content. I think both need to be of very good quality or proportioned just right, and indeed everything comes together nicely in this blend. If you are like me and find Pease's Key Largo and Robusto don't quite "fill the bill", give this one a try. I must like the touch of Perique in cigar leaf blends as this one is gets my 4 star as did Habana Daydream.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I liked SteelCowboy's review and really can't add much to it. I think this would be "darned near perfect," without the Perique which detracted rather than added to the overall flavor (IMO, of course). I particularly enjoyed the natural sweetness of this blend. I was gifted the small amount I smoked and would make a purchase myself if this was made without the Perique. However, those who enjoy Perique regularly, may just find Stogie to be their Manna from Heaven.

* PLEASE NOTE: Russ Ouellette (blender of Stogie), recently sent me a sample of the blend WITHOUT the Perique added. First, thanks to Russ for the gesture and second, wow, I now really love this stuff! If you are not a big "perique freak," you might ask him to whip you up a batch of Stogie sans the perique. I'm sure he'd be glad to do so.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one very good tobacco. Stogie arrives very dry. It appears to be almost too dry. Russ Ouellette had explained to me that it was his intent to have the tobacco dry as he felt it would offer a higher quality smoke. I am now a believer! There is a lot going on here with this blend. The large number of tobacco's in Stogie makes this no surprise. it packs well and I find that I like it best in a good sized, wide bowl. Stogie really develops as its smoked with a wonderful sweetness that really kicks in about mid bowl. The maduro leaf and the unflavored black cavendish play off of each other very nicely. Stogie doesn't have the dominate cigar taste that can be found in a Billy Bud. I find that is plays less of a role here. However, I prefer this to Billy Bud. I find it a bit sweeter than Pease's Key Largo, but less sweet than Comptons Cuban Mixture. Stogie also offers a very affordable price point as it is currently only sold in bulk. Highly Recommended!