Black Cavendish, Virginia and Burley, not too widely cut, and refined with a creamy vanilla/honey flavour; a really friendly, sweetly-gentle mixture.
Recommended for bowls of all sizes.

BrandTimm
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
FlavoringHoney, Vanilla
Packaging100g Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste
Full
PipePuffin'Finn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePuffin'Finn (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Disclaimer: I am very much a novice pipe smoker and haven't smoked a lot of this blend (or any blends for that matter), so please take this review with a grain of salt.

Timm's Own Blend No. 66 is a house blend created and sold by Dan Tobacco in Germany, and I decided to order a 100 g tin based on the description. It is an aromatic tobacco based on black cavendish, virginia and burley, topped with a creamy vanilla and honey flavouring, "blended with the finest raw tobaccos and workmanship", as per the description.

Upon opening the tin I am greeted with a rich, sweet and fulfilling aroma. Honey, cinnamon and just a touch of vanilla. It really makes you want to bury your nose in the stuff and just take it all in. Very nice.

The cut is a thin ribbon, mostly dark brown with some lighter brown tones. Out of the tin the tobacco is fairly moist, so I laid a bowlful to dry for some 15 minutes before packing my Mr Brog Churchwarden with the stuff.

The tobacco lights and burns easily, and produces a cool, sweet and flavourful smoke. It is definitely an aromatic, but the sweetness does not cover the apparently high quality tobaccos used to make this blend. I enjoyed the bowl as the sweetness subsided somewhere half-bowl and gave way to the rich tobacco taste. Very pleasant, and no tongue-bite whatsoever as I puffed and relaxed, taking a sip of black coffee now and then.

With my limited experience I can just compare this to Amphora Red and MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. I've had trouble with VCLC, and it's something of a let-down for me, despite the high praise it seems to get on here (I think I'm doing something wrong, but it just bites me and dies on me all the time). I very much enjoy Amphora Red, and there are definitely some similarities with Own Blend 66.

Anyway, Timm's Own Blend No. 66 comes highly recommended from this novice puffer.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog Churchwarden