Golden Virginia with a brown vein is pressed into a Navy Cut, cut
into slices and packaged in whole. A genuine, classically sweet
flake, slow-burning, cool and gentle.

BrandTimm
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Packaging50 g pouch, 200 g bulk
Strength
Mild, Medium
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
Markus Heinrich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Markus Heinrich (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Timm's "No Name Gold" is a very bright VA that's only loosely pressed. It's sold mainly in 200g packages, cheap as dirt (50g pouches are also available). These foil bags by DTM are the closest thing to "true" bulk tobacco available here in Germany.

A gorgeous bale of uncut flake awaits the one who opens one of these bags. The smell of the unlit tobacco is neutral, bright and slightly sweet-ish, dry, almost a bit dusty. I tried it once, some time ago, and found it boring, but a friend of mine keeps mentioning it in my German facebook group, so I've decided to give it another try.

Not bad, really not bad, tends to smoke a bit hot, but leaves your tongue unmolested and doesn't taste off once it has cooled down again. Very sweet, I believe that there's a neutral sweetener added (which is okay for me). Sour notes are lacking completely, instead it's a bit rough around the edges, almost somewhat burley-eske, but I don't believe that there's actually burley in the blend. After the first 1/4 it develops a slight, but strangely fascinating spiciness that compliments the VA-sweetness very well. Imagine caramel toffees with a grain of sea salt.

A nice summer smoke for me that fills the gap Orlik's Golden Sliced left since I grew tired of the casing.

Pipe Used: cobs & briars

Purchased From: www.danpipe.de

Thus far, I have basically ignored all the Timm blends, though they are manufactured locally (defining "locally" as "less than 60 mi. away from where I live"). I finally got my thing together to order a pouch of this blend a couple of weeks ago when I was low on flakes.

The pouch aroma is fresh, nutty and sweet, the flake slices are full-sized (i.e. just right to fold, twist, drop into a tall bowl) and of average cut, but rather brittle - I'd say no glue applied. The leaf ranges from bright golden to medium brown. Lighting is pretty easy for a flake, and it'll burn cool and slow.

The taste is very much sweet VA, with a hint of bubbliness in there (maybe somebody lost a few grams of Perique when my batch was packaged...?), the burleyesque nuts/chocolate note from the pouch aroma is not found in the taste and I'd say there is, if any, very little Burley in there. Light notes of citrus (orange-ish) and nice, warm sweetness.

Good VA flake, not a taste explosion but a very good smoke that may well find its way into my rotation as my standard flake (a position currently held by MacBaren's Navy Flake) if the quality persists throughout the next pouches.

Update 2011-03-24: the quality persists. Ordering a bulk package.

Update 2011-06-22: The bulk package contains incredibly long and wide slices; still a beauty; up-rating to 4 stars.