Reviews: 72077 Tobaccos: 6496What's NewLoginRegister

Mild Cavendish, burley and Virginia plus maple extract.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringMaple, Rum, Whisky
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A favorite of mine in the C&D Aromatic line. The Maple sauce used in the Black Cavendish came through loud and clear. Very naturally sweet tasting and a pleasure to smoke. As with many of the C&D Aromatic blends, it is best to dedicate a pipe to this one that is reserved for aromatics as the ghosting is substantial.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is Black and Gold Maple's passive and socially awkward cousin, it's a bit mild and quite frankly resembles too many other cavendish blends in the C&D product line for me to really devote any attention to it. Very monochromatic, unexciting and uninventive in my opinion. There is a cigar leaf note that comes through around halfway through the bowl that brings some bitterness that I find unsavory and it requires some babysitting to stay lit. It might remind one of Maplestreet, which to me is the low end of the maple blends (although I'd still prefer to smoke this over maple street any day) I'm not sure why anyone would choose this over Black and Gold Maple or Autumn Evening, this one just seems to fall short when comparing the other two C&D maple blends. If C&D decided to enlist consumers to re-name this blend I think "Table Syrup" would be my submission.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (283)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another delightful Maple aromatic from C&D. This one although it is very nice, I preferred their Black and Gold Maple since I like having some Black Cavendish in my aromatics to give that Marshmallow taste. Maple and pipe tobacco is a match made in heaven especially during the Autumn season. I really enjoy a Maple toped Burley in the summer when the heat here in Nevada (115 Fahrenheit, 46 Celsius) makes it impossible to smoke anything heavy. A solid three star Maple blend!

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

What's not to like? If you desire a "maple" blend that delivers the taste and aroma you expect, this is it. This is a delightful mild Virginia and Burley Cavendish blend that delivers what is promised. It could be a mainstay for Maple lover's along with C&D's Autumn Evening. It smokes excellent!

obbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obbj (4)

If you like C&D's Autumn Evening than you owe it to your self to try 910: Maple Cavendish it is very similar to Autumn Evening with the difference being the burly helps to round out the flavor better in my honest opinion. Open the bag the aroma of maple is quite pleasant. This tobacco tends to be on the dry side as with most C&D tobaccos. For a tobacco that is considered an aromatic it isn't goopy or overly cased as other aromatics tend to be. It smokes dry, stays lit well, and is enjoyable anytime of the day. This tobacco has a very pleasant aroma in the bag and the room note remains pleasant too. All in all it's an aromatic tobacco that's lightly cased with good tobacco flavor throughout.

Bifkinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bifkinator (10)

This tobacco I bought in preparation for fall as I was craving the taste of maple to watch the leaves change and the temperature drop. I picked up two others with this one (Sutliff rum and maple and C&D black gold maple) and I was so excited when they came in I had to jump right into them despite my other open tins.

I got this one in a bag since I ordered it in bulk and from the outside of that bag there wasn't a strong overwhelming scent but the maple was there. I knew this one was going to be a lightly flavored blend. I transferred it to a jar and gave it a sniff. This is a very complex aromatic and I get a lot of different notes going on here. Obviously, I get maple, fig, milk chocolate, orange, what seems like vanilla ice cream strangely enough (if you could smell the taste), and a subtle fermentation. After the maple I get a lot of orange and milk chocolate. It's a tasty smell!

Outside the tin, or jar, it has the perfect amount of moisture! It's ready to go once you open it. I don't think any one needs to dry this one out at all. Flavoring wise its light. I don't feel it on the leaf at all and it's soft and springy. It packed so easily into my pipe and lit with no trouble at all even in the windy conditions where I live. It caught the flame and started up immediately getting an ember fast and maturing (I guess thats what I'll call it) very fast. I didn't have to give it time it just started rolling right after lighting. It produces a fair amount of smoke, not much of a bite, and the room note is pretty enjoyable.

Right when I lit it up I got the maple flavoring but it changed on me after about 5 minutes. The maple turned into chocolate orange like from the tin and thats mostly all I tasted from that point on. It does have notes of grass and slight pecan in there as well but I had to really look for them. For a maple flavored tobacco I don't get a lot of it but it starts to shine though on the aftertaste after a while.

Final thoughts, it's good if you want a lightly flavored maple aromatic but I don't get much of it in the smoke. I want something a little more maple centered and all I can taste is chocolate orange, which is good but not what I was wanting or expecting. It's something I'll probably smoke closer to Christmas because it reminds me of the chocolate oranges that come out around that time. I recommend to all smokers but do warn that you may not taste the amount of maple you hope for, if you're like me. It reminds me of Autumn Evening from C&D but with less flavoring. If you're wanting something with a more pronounced maple flavoring go with the Sutliff rum and maple. Other than that it's a pretty fine tobacco.

Pipe Used: Benny Thomsen bent rhodesian

Purchased From:

Similar Blends: C&D Autumn Evening.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 53

Rated Percentage = 88%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Big Maple Pouch Note and Flavor, but it's a little sweet

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (167)

There are times when an aromatic is called for. You want this tobacco to smoke cool, with a taste that is pleasing without being overly cased. A blend that burns dry to a fine white ash, with the flavor lasting to the bottom of the bowl. No bitterness or bite and great tobacco taste to boot. A blend that will satisfy you, yet won't offend those around you. Nothing sophisticated, yet not boring either. Quality tobaccos, expertly blended. Well that pretty well sums up #910 Maple Cavendish. It is what it is. A great all day everyday smoke for some, or a great change of pace for others. I have to give it 4 stars for that. Delicious! Update: Feb.18/08 I have downgraded Maple Cavendish to 3 stars, as aromatics are only an occasional indulgence and only when necessary. But that does not diminish the quality of this excellent mix.