Thick Cut Pipe Tobacco - Grown and Processed in Belgium

Notes: Grosse Coupe/ Big Cut (tabac extra pour pipe/ extra tobacco pipe) Imported to the US by The Pipe Guys, LLC 55A Central Avenue, Somerville, NJ 08876 - Tax Class: L.

The tobacco variety is Semois, which somewhat resembles Burley, but is actually its own variety.

BrandVincent Manil

3.6
Philip Marc Assad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philip Marc Assad (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This has quickly become one of my favorite pipe tobaccos. I'm not an every day smoker, so when I pack my pipe, I like it to be with something flavorful and fairly strong. Semois delivers an incredible cigar-like earthiness from the first puff, but with floral undertones that counterbalance the intensity quite nicely.

Rustic is the only word that comes to mind when I smell it in the jar. Like a basket of mushrooms, with clovers and grass. Fantastic.

Entirely free of flavorings or casings, which is rare. A must-try if only for that reason. Highly recommended all around.

Pipe Used: Wessex Bent Billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: ThePipeGuys.com

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco surprised me a bit. I thought it would have more body. That's due to the strength rating employed here. When I rate strength it's in regard to body, not nicotine punch. I don't inhale so I pretty much don't care about nicotine content. I forgot that most others do. At least it seems that way. Anyhow, I find the body at mild to medium. The flavor is mild and does resemble Burley to a small extent. It might be my imagination but I keep getting faint traces of a vanilla-like nuance. Comes and goes and is most prevalent during the initial lighting. If you're careless it can burn hot and then it loses all flavor and becomes harsh. As SteelCowboy said, packing is very important and as JimInks said, it needs to be slowly sipped to get the most out of it. In spite of it being a small pain in the ass I'll give it 3 stars. One is for being unique.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Money's worth is right! This is the most "perfumey" burley I have come across, but in a very good way. Normally I like sweeter stuff but this just shines on its own. Real earthy, dry, but with both high & low notes - barley, wheat, herbs - I just can't compare it to anything else. Packed with care, will smoke slowly and dead cool all the way to a fine dry ash. Bravo to Mr Manil & The Pipe Guys

Pipe Used: Old meer, MM

Purchased From: Pipe Guys

Similar Blends: Arturo Fuente Petit Corona maybe?.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

While not very complex, there are a few noticeable flavors. It's earthy, a little spicy with herbal/floral notes and a little bread and nutty sweetness. Has a decent nic-hit. I only get a little feeling of cigar or cigarette here, and I think that mainly comes from smoking it fast. It needs to be sipped, especially if you smoke it dry as is suggested. It will burn hot and you'll lose some of the characteristics of what makes this enjoyable if you're a fast or even medium puffer. It'll make a very good mixer, but I like it as it is, especially in a cob.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been slowly working my way through a "block" of it. Many people have compared it to cigar leaf, and that's an apt comparison. It is very light (in terms of weight) and dry. The pouch aroma is subtle, but reminiscent of a baking cake (but my wife says is smells like pine shavings...) The smoke is strong...but not strong like dark fired VAs. It's a quick pungent strength that does not linger. My head does not swim from smoking this (coming from someone who can barely smoke 1792 flake). The flavor is not burley, not VA, not completely like a cigar... I think the flavor is actually a light flavor, like the aroma (but most people describe it as being a full flavor.) But the smoke makes its presence known, not in bite but in an almost wasabi kick. I really like it but it's not a familiar or homey kind of affection. I'd say it's exotic, but in a rustic way, not in spice. This is someone's meat and potatoes (someone's burley) but not on this side of the Atlantic (I'm in 'merka). One whiff of the subtle pouch note and you'll know you're in for a pipe smoking experience that is totally unique.

The top of the bowl is very cigar-like, kind of musty and pungent. About halfway down that baked bread/cake flavor comes through. Almost floral, more like yeasty. There is a natural sweetness present that reminds me of wet forest floor (go ahead and groan...) This is 100% no additive, no topping or casing tobacco and it's very inspiring that someone can make it work.

Purchased From: Wal Mart (how, I wish!)

Similar Blends: Absolutely nothing else..

I honestly can’t recall smoking a blend that is similar to La Brumeuse. It came to me as part of a sizeable sample from a good friend and was on the dry side, which is the way I like it. The scent is also unlike anything I recall smoking. In the pouch is does smell a lot like certain cigars, however I don’t find LB to taste like a cigar, although there are small similarities. I find when packing LB that it can take quite a bit of this to fill a pipe. The short ribbons will leave a lot of air between them unlike any tobacco I have smoked. The pack is very important and I found myself over packing and more often under packing, leaving the blend to burn very fast (like a lightly packed shag) and hot. The flavor is very earthy, offering little sweetness. When smoked properly, I find LB to be very smooth and very straightforward in flavor. It doesn’t offer much complexity and is a little heavy on the nicotine, but not a knockout. LB is definitely a “niche” blend. I would not recommend it to newer pipe smokers. It was nice to smoke something out of the mainstream, but I don’t see myself looking for more. Kudos to Vincent Manil for bringing something interesting and unique to market.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (70)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Like some of my favorite John Patton blends, this tobacco is quite dry but still smokes perfectly. Talk about getting your money's worth! The overall flavor is very reminiscent of a standard mid-grade light-wrapper cigar. When lit there are a few delicate spice notes along with a hay-like ammonia laced, barnyard aroma. It smokes quickly but somehow manages to remain incredibly cool. Tongue bite just isn't in the cards here but it does have some impressive strength. There's enough nicotine at play to give my mouth a good tingle and my throat a right quick lump. It's rustic, earthy, almost devoid of sweetness, but still quite flavorful and almost unlike anything else I have ever smoked. I do find common traits with blends like G&H Dark Birdseye but Manil La Brumeuse Semois is different enough to stand on its own when compared to most stout American or British Burley offerings.

It’s really difficult to knock something so strong & simple but I do overall have a preference for more complex tobaccos. Now that my curiosity for this exotic pipeweed is satisfied, I don't think I will pursue it any further. It is good, but I just wouldn't smoke this tobacco very often, as my proclivity towards dry, strong, earthy tobacco is not that high. Even with cigars I prefer something with more complexity. I am however very happy to have had the pleasure of sampling it.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

2014-03-23: Started putting a dent into my brick from The Pipe Guys last week, and this stuff is still enchanting.

It's a completely natural, very dry burley. That's it. The tin note, while interesting, won't blow you away. But the room note and flavors are one of a kind. Also very easy, despite a healthy nicotine level; this won't sit on your tongue for two days like a good Lat blend will.

2014-01-17: I have only smoked one bouchon from Manil via transAtlantic mail (it was amazing), but just a heads up -- La Brumeuse goes on sale in the U.S. on Jan 20th thru Pipe Guys, LLC website. (Don't know why I'm telling you this... ;))

Reviews below capture it well. Semois = floral and terroir. Really unique and enjoyable stuff.

Pipe Used: MM

Similar Blends: JP Couvert.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

Excellent Kentucky tobacco produced only in Belgium.

No additives and no casing/topping. This tobacco is broad cut and a bit on the dry side (as it has no additives. But it is the way it is smoked and does not lose on the taste qualities at all.

The taste is very unique, earthly, leathery, spicy, woodsy notes throughout the bowl. Very rich and satisfying.

It burns easy, does not bite and tastes great throughout.

The Vitamine N dose is excellent and once finished, I craved for more.

This is tobacco at its best. All semois tobaccos are worth trying for those who seek a tobacco that truly tastes like tobacco.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This stuff is delicious. The leaf smells like a good quality cigar-very earthy and spicy- and it tastes like something very close, and different, to a good habana.

Despite being a coarse cut, it smokes well. You need to fill in your pipe tight because the leaf comes slightly dry. this will allow you to get maximum pleasure from the various tastes this tobacco offers.

If you do stop in Belgium, this is a madatory try!

Easter Egg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Easter Egg (5)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being from Belgium (near Antwerp) myself, the Semois region has long been one of my favourite holiday locations within our country, be it for a longer period in a chalet with the family of for a daytrip alone on my motorcycle. About 200 km away from home, one find oneself in a totally different landscape than the lowlands I live in. (steep hillsides, cut away during millenia by the river, lots of woods, occasional medows and fields with livestock, medieval castles and monasteries... add to that the other language - French instead of Dutch - and you could think you're in a different country alltogether)

Therefore, the Semois tobacco was not uknown to me. First smoking cigarettes, I regularly bought Semois cigarrillos or Senoritas. Since December 2008 i have become a pipesmoker, but hadn't had the chance of revisiting my favourite part of the country until a month or so ago.

On a day trip, I bought the stuff in a shop in Bouillon, and have been enjoying it. The taste and aroma, to me, is almost floral. It delivers quite a nic-kick, true, but I find it endurable. (I am used to smoking medium blends...) Springy ribbon cut and quite dry, needs packing tightly. Very advisable to "smoke-in" a pipe due to these characteristics. If you want to smoke anything else in the same pipe though, you will need about 5 pipefulls of another tobacco to get rid of The Ghost of the Semois.

More about this fine weed can be found at : http://www.tabac-semois.com, so here's a chance to brush up on your knowledge of French. (if you leave out the hyphen in the webaddress, you access the other artisanal tobacconist in the same small town, by the name of JP Couvert - I will add it once this package is empty)

Schatz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schatz (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

This Semois is a high quality belgian artisanal tobacco, made by Vincent Manil and his wife in Corbion, a small village in the Ardennes, near the Semois river. It comes in large and long springy ribbons, and one could find that it smells like cigars, with a nice herbal touch. No topping or additional flavor, this is natural tobacco. It contains no conservatives and comes in a rectangular paper bag, attention must be paid as concerns the way you stock it. The stuff can easily be found in Belgium.

Packing is very easy, but considering that this semois burn very well, you should pack it tight. Once lit, slow to very slow puffing is necessary, in order to bring out all the underlying notes, which are pretty amazing. Herbal, earthy, smooth, creamy, sometimes spicy, this gives plain-tobacco taste with a burley-like aroma.

The first time I tried this semois, I told to myself that it was the best cigar I ever smoked. It can be compared to Windels Semois Half Grove, but I find La Brumeuse to contain more "terroir". This goes well with a cognac, by the way.

A great natural pipe tobacco which can provide you much enjoyement, and rather unique sensations. Highly recommended !

Jon Guirguis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jon Guirguis (1)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Intro: The one undeniable thing about La Brumeuse is that it is unlike any tobacco I have ever packed into the bowl of a pipe. Vincent will proudly tell you that his tobacco is a completely natural, rustic tobacco containing no additives whatsoever, and he isn’t bluffing. It has no casings, top dressings or humectants. It’s grown and picked by the farmers and then aged, roasted, cut and packaged by Vincent. That’s it.

Aroma: The "tin" aroma of Semois is the most pleasent I've ever smelled. Delicate, floral and surprisingly complex. Dried lavendar is easily identifiable for me, as is a gerneral herbal note and a noticeable cigar leaf undertone. When breathing in a bit more deeply, the leaf gives off a slightly musty "wet forest floor" note that begins to feel like it is the underyling basis of the leafs overall aroma. As you reach your hand into the jar and pick up a pinch, you’ll notice how dry this leaf is. In fact, it’s the driest tobacco I’ve ever had, and it’s meant to be that way. It definitely has to be packed QUITE tightly or else you’ll puff through it in about 10 minutes and have an ungrateful tongue afterwards.

Flavor: The meat of La Brumuese is simply put as a rustic tobacco leaf flavor, with very apparent dried floral and herbal notes that are very pleasing. The aroma carries over quite nicely to the flavor. It’s a strong one, too, with a fairly high nicotine content that you’ll feel in the back of your throat (nothing too crazy though). Throughout the bowl, the flavors deepen and intensify and its unique character really shines. Vincent’s Semois can be difficult to manage, especially for a beginner, but if packed correctly, it won’t require much attention and often burns right down to the bottom without a relight. You won’t be puffing on this one quite as long as other blends. I went through a full bowl in about 20 – 25 minutes.

Conclusion: I have to have a steady supply of La Brumeuse on hand. It is unlike anything else out there, truly. Vincent's Semois is such a refreshig blend in both its story and flavor and is easily one of if not the best pure leaf tobaccos out there!

Note: I've yet to try it, but I think La Brumeuse would REALLY shine in a double chambered pipe. Will update once I give it a try.

Purchased From: The Pipe Guys

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (30)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I recently started smoking this tobacco, having throughly enjoyed Windals Semois.

I find this one less harsh and slightly sweeter. As with my previous semois experience, this is an earthy and cigar like tobacco that is straight forward, fast burning and very enjoyable.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

...Nothing quite like it...you bet! A first rate tobacco with no flavoring/topping...Very woodsy, leathery, and an interesting cigar leaf quality that I find compliments the underlying chocolate/floral notes...

I hydrate a little bit and find it smokes better that way...a good nic kick for those seeking such. A bit stout for an all-day smoke but a solid choice in the afternoon/evening.

Truly a one-of-a-kind tobacco and worthy of a try for those seeking artisan pipe tobacco...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: any group size 4 and above

Age When Smoked: 3-6 months

Purchased From: pipe guys

Pierre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pierre (1)

"Tin" / bag note - Cigar leaf, pasture (hay, sweet grass, "gaminess").

Moisture - None, bone dry.

Pipe - Meerschaum

Lighter - Zippo

Smoke spot - Balcony, no wind, 64 F.

Smoke speed - Quickly and HOT, packed tightly.

Flavor - Much like a nice oily maduro, but equally as earthy as it is floral. A slight hint on the puff of "gaminess" is the best way to describe it, or to contradict two flavors, a clean manure. Earthy and grassy.

Overall Impression: 10/10 my favorite tobacco thus far, I've had a variety of aromatics, englishes, va's, vapers, many more, and none are like this or similar. If you like a very down to earth, literally, cigar-like flavor, this is for you.

Value - Highly recommended, $25 for 3.5 oz/100 g is well worth the artisanal beauty and incomparable flavor that you get.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: The Pipe Guys

Similar Blends: Cigar leaf.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Smoking Semois is a unique experience that I struggle to describe.

Opening the paper package, the 'tin note' is that of cow manure. Manure that has been in the sun for a week. With some wildflowers in the background. The 'room note' also reminds me of manure with a sickly sweet undertone. You might want to try this one outside.

The tastes are consistent throughout, but there is enough to keep me interested. It is anything but boring. The floral aromas are fascinating to those of us who more commonly smoke English blends or Virginias.

It goes well with port. There is more than enough nicotine.

Yes, it is drier than mass market blends, but it is not overly dry, not like it has been left out in the open air. This is 100% natural, no humectants, no casings or toppings, no propylene glycol.

It really is like nothing I've ever smoked. The more I smoke it, the more I love it. A big taste of Belgium! Can't wait to try it with a Trappist ale!

Pipe Used: Small Straight Billiard

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Thepipeguys.com

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The first time I taste this tobacco, I find it really strong and unsmokable ! But you have to smoke it in different way than the other blend. This tobacco burn really well, so you have to tamp it very strongly, and smoke it slowly. And then you will have all the good taste, and you will enjoy it very much !

HorkyBamf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HorkyBamf (20)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I don't have much to add to what's already been stated about this tobacco in other reviews. I will say it's unique. I've never smoked anything quite like it. I enjoy it. It's a bit monochromatic though. Not something I want to smoke day in, day out. Nice for a change now and then. It does have a somewhat cigar-like smell, but if you're looking for cigar flavor in your pipe, I think you'll be disappointed. It actually reminds me more of French tabac brun cigarettes than a cigar.

Smokes dry and cool if you pack firmly, burns easily and quickly with few relights. A bowl lasts about half the time as most other tobaccos. Don't let some of the other comments deter you from trying it. It's an enjoyable, if somewhat plain and simple, smoke. There is nothing unpleasant about it.

Pipe Used: mostly cobs, a few briars

Purchased From: http://thepipeguys.com

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Straight up, medium to full, pure tobacco flavor. This thick cut version is smoother and less harsh than the the thinner cut. Also burns a bit slower. The cigar-like similarity is striking. Hints of the the leathery, woody goodness of an Oliva Serie V plus the hint of dry black cherry from a Savinelli Special Selection 2005. Stays pretty much the same through the bowl. More cigar-like on the inhale, more like pipe tobacco on the retrohale. As it burns down, a creamy bittersweet chocolate note dances in and out. I was lucky enough to have a BOTL gift me a jar of this baccy. Thanks Rick! Burns clean and dry on one light. 4*.

Pipe Used: Alpha Executive 35+ years old

Age When Smoked: Jar dated 15-MAR-2014.

Purchased From: The Pipe Guys, LLC

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (118)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

La Brumeuse is the best Semois that I have tried so far. Smells like it's coming from a barn, a dry manure with dried flower leaves. It has an earthy, robust flavor it's a ''terroir" tobacco. The peat like aroma is tempered by some floral notes. It burns very smoothly and is better enjoyed slowly, not only because of the stength but also because of the underlined flavors of hay and leather. The perfect cigar leaf taste while still remaining a pipe tobacco. Pure tobacco from artisan craftsmen, from people that obviously like what they do. It's a rare experience nowadays, one I will indulge very often.

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

It seems like everyone is scared to buck the trend. This stuff was very disappointing. The moniker one dimensional is misleading. This stuff is not enjoyable, period. I will try it again in a cob and I will age half of it in a jar for a year or so, but for something with so much hype attached, I couldn't even find a glimpse of what the other reviewers allude to. To me this tastes like a bad cigar, ashy, dry leaves and dirt. If that's your nirvana, go for it.

I did follow all the advice on the boards and in previous reviews. However, sipping slowly did not ellicit even a hint of smokable enjoyment. This is the first pipe I've refused to finish in a long time.

Pipe Used: Westbrook Squat Bulldog

Purchased From: Pipe Guys LLC

Similar Blends: Dirt, Burning Leaves, Burning Tires.