Semois leaf is a rich, pure leaf burley tobacco that is grown and processed in Belgium in the Ardennes Valley (Val Ardennais) - think Battle of the Bulge. Highly reminiscent of smoking a cigar, but in a pipe, it is a fascinating tobacco that has been highly regarded in Europe for well over 100 years. From start to finish, the flavor becomes more and more pronounced, giving a reliable and enjoyable smoke. This is the thick-cut version (gross coupe).

Notes: Semois is a Burley varietal that has been developed over hundreds of years in Belgium's Semois River region, in ground that is soggy and fog-shrouded.

BrandTabac Manil

3.4
Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (18)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

La Brumeuse means in French "The Misty One" or, perhaps, "The Foggy One". It is correctly pronounced La Brooymuze.

It is tobacco with terroir (you wine drinkers will know what that is). Semois is a descendant of burley, but, isolated and grown in Belgium now for hundreds of years, it has evolved into its own thing. Today it is a cousin of burley and not burley itself. The taste and nature of this smoke bears this out.

This is real artisan tobacco and not an industrial product. One man, Vincent Manil, controls it from seed to match. I remember reading an article by G.L. Pease about PG (propylene glycol, the humectant). He stated that while he didn't use it himself, sometimes some of the tobacco he uses comes with it already on.

And that's the difference between a blender and an artisan. Vincent Manil doesn't source the tobacco he uses, he grows it right there on his farm. It is grown, cured, roasted gently, aged, cut, packed and shipped--and that's it.

The above facts alone give it a four star, strongly recommended rating. They also make it entirely unique in the world of modern pipe-smoking. True artisan, all-natural, uncased, unflavored un-everything tobacco: hopefully it becomes a thing.

Now, about smoking it. You can tell the family resemblance to burley. You can tell it is not descended from Virginia. You can also tell that it ain't burley. Reviewers have used terms like "cigar", "floral", "herbal", but I don't get that. This is unlike any pipe tobacco or cigar I have ever smoked. There is a richness to it that reminds me of a good Turkish or Oriental, but lacking the sourness and spice. Very hard to describe. There is an old-timey musty pipey-ness to it that really evokes memories to me. I swear I have smelled this scent before, way, way back when I was a kid.

Perhaps the simple burleys our great-grandfathers smoked were much closer to their natural state than anything (besides La Brumeuse) available today. Perhaps I came across that as a child...

This will lose its fragrance, subtlety, and nuance if smoked quickly. It will also bite you. Sip slowly, leisurely for best results.

Incredible stuff and you owe it to yourself as a pipe smoker and a human being to try it.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

We are all familiar with this phenomenon: we are about to enjoy something normal, say, a head of lettuce. Some giggin' hipster from Reddit or Tumblr comes up and implies that regular lettuce is merely passé and thus a signal of our inferiority by describing instead Madagascar lettuce which is only grown between the months of April and May on a plateau above a forest where it is fertilized by trained parrots with little buckets of shark livers and ground human bone. The hipster method is simple, you see. Whatever is normal, is boring. Therefore, whatever is dysfunctional or abnormal in enough conflicting ways to appear distinctive, like a shirt of ten clashing colors, is good. The hipster attacks you by making you feel ordinary and mud while he looks "interesting," different and unique. The hipster is the "dead end of Western civilization" as AdBusters has said, and manages to ruin just about anything by overselling the trivial but distinctive in preference to the ordinary and functional. For that reason, I approached La Brumeuse Semois with some trepidation. After all, it had been in The New York Times, a magazine that specializes in both hipsters and illusions, but attracts many of us with its writing that is usually more erudite at best and simply over-written like that prose of a poseur with a thesaurus at worst. I am happy to report that not all of the hype is nonsense.

First, let me debunk: this is simply a strong but sweet Burley blend. If you can imagine a Burley-Virginia hybrid, think of that. It has the broad nutty flavors of Burley but an inner sweetness; I believe Vincent Manil when he says there are no additives and I detect none. Instead, it seems, the curators of Semois use a long-curing process to bring out the natural flavors in this leaf. Compare it to C&D dark burley and you will find it has more of the hay flavors and less of the bitterness, but similar strength. From the bag, it has overtones of something like marzipan or amaretto, but I think these are natural curing flavors and nothing added.

The warnings are correct: pack this one tight because it is dry and will burn like a tumbleweed. Properly crammed into a pipe, it lights quickly and emits moderately thick clouds of warm burley smoke, both nutty and hay-like, with a notable lack of sharpness, bitterness and bite. I advise using the biggest pipe you have and filling it 3/4 of the way to minimize the amount of wind directly fanning the flames, and smoking it slowly. It is a pure, simple, pleasurable flavor.

Thus I both debunk and enhance the myth of Semois: it is not radically different than what you would expect from a slow cured high-end Burley, possibly enhanced by frequent mists making the curing process a question of degrees rather than industrial-style grinding progress. However, it is delicious. This will not appeal to those who like a riot of clashing flavors or toppings that obliterate the tobacco taste with a candy-like flavor, and its publicity nexus starting in 2013 might be seen as a revolution against the attitude that favors candied tobacco and gaudy blends, but it is a lovely, plain flavor that develops complexity in the same way plants in nature do, over time and with subtlety.

Philip Marc Assad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philip Marc Assad (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This has quickly become one of my favorite pipe tobaccos. I'm not an every day smoker, so when I pack my pipe, I like it to be with something flavorful and fairly strong. Semois delivers an incredible cigar-like earthiness from the first puff, but with floral undertones that counterbalance the intensity quite nicely.

Rustic is the only word that comes to mind when I smell it in the jar. Like a basket of mushrooms, with clovers and grass. Fantastic.

Entirely free of flavorings or casings, which is rare. A must-try if only for that reason. Highly recommended all around.

Pipe Used: Wessex Bent Billiard

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: ThePipeGuys.com

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco surprised me a bit. I thought it would have more body. That's due to the strength rating employed here. When I rate strength it's in regard to body, not nicotine punch. I don't inhale so I pretty much don't care about nicotine content. I forgot that most others do. At least it seems that way. Anyhow, I find the body at mild to medium. The flavor is mild and does resemble Burley to a small extent. It might be my imagination but I keep getting faint traces of a vanilla-like nuance. Comes and goes and is most prevalent during the initial lighting. If you're careless it can burn hot and then it loses all flavor and becomes harsh. As SteelCowboy said, packing is very important and as JimInks said, it needs to be slowly sipped to get the most out of it. In spite of it being a small pain in the ass I'll give it 3 stars. One is for being unique.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

While not very complex, there are a few noticeable flavors. It's earthy, a little spicy with herbal/floral notes and a little bread and light nutty sweetness. Has a decent nic-hit. I get some feeling of cigar and/or cigarette here, and I think that mainly comes from smoking it fast. It needs to be sipped, especially if you smoke it dry as is suggested. It will burn hot and you'll lose some of the characteristics of what makes this enjoyable if you're a fast or even medium puffer, and have a strongly harsh smoke. It'll make a very good mixer, but I like it as it is, especially in a cob.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Money's worth is right! This is the most "perfumey" burley I have come across, but in a very good way. Normally I like sweeter stuff but this just shines on its own. Real earthy, dry, but with both high & low notes - barley, wheat, herbs - I just can't compare it to anything else. Packed with care, will smoke slowly and dead cool all the way to a fine dry ash. Bravo to Mr Manil & The Pipe Guys

Pipe Used: Old meer, MM

Purchased From: Pipe Guys

Similar Blends: Arturo Fuente Petit Corona maybe?.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Came very dry and crumbly in the brick and I jarred it immediately. As this is how it is supposed to be smoked, I wasn't concerned. Cigar aroma with a very lightly floral undertone. I found that I did have to be careful with the load to keep too much air between pinches. Tighter was better.

The first few puffs showed heavy cigar flavor with settled down very quickly to a burley-type flavor with added sweetness. I'm not sure what the casing flavor is but I've tasted it before - just not in a pipe tobacco. As someone who experimented with a lot of European high quality cigarettes, there are a couple that I will never forget: the Balkan Sobranie non-filters, 10 to a tin (those were absolutely wonderful!) and the French-made Gitanes/Gauloises brands. Both were distinctive. This pipe tobacco reminds me of the mellower Gitanes cigarettes. Not entirely satisfying. As a straight smoke, I found this tobacco theoretically interesting in its unique-ness but not terribly interesting to smoke. A bit too unrefined and crass. And BTW, hydrate it at your own risk. With additional moisture, this tobacco changed characteristics so dramatically that it could only be called a huge failure.

It was as a mixer that this showed it's true strengths for me. As dry and thin as it is, I did have to dry out the other tobaccos, but this brought a heavy body and a sweet flowery presence (not unlike Lakelands, but less powerful) to straight Virginias and a sort of alternate dimension to straight burleys - similar but different. It changed every mix to which it was added, some for the worse, but it showed enough positives that I'd like to experiment more. I think this is an exciting product - definitely unique and it merits more than the 2 stars-worth of my personal enjoyment. Plus it shows huge promise as a blender. 3 stars. And if you're a smoker of natural tobaccos, you have to give this one a spin.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been slowly working my way through a "block" of it. Many people have compared it to cigar leaf, and that's an apt comparison. It is very light (in terms of weight) and dry. The pouch aroma is subtle, but reminiscent of a baking cake (but my wife says is smells like pine shavings...) The smoke is strong...but not strong like dark fired VAs. It's a quick pungent strength that does not linger. My head does not swim from smoking this (coming from someone who can barely smoke 1792 flake). The flavor is not burley, not VA, not completely like a cigar... I think the flavor is actually a light flavor, like the aroma (but most people describe it as being a full flavor.) But the smoke makes its presence known, not in bite but in an almost wasabi kick. I really like it but it's not a familiar or homey kind of affection. I'd say it's exotic, but in a rustic way, not in spice. This is someone's meat and potatoes (someone's burley) but not on this side of the Atlantic (I'm in 'merka). One whiff of the subtle pouch note and you'll know you're in for a pipe smoking experience that is totally unique.

The top of the bowl is very cigar-like, kind of musty and pungent. About halfway down that baked bread/cake flavor comes through. Almost floral, more like yeasty. There is a natural sweetness present that reminds me of wet forest floor (go ahead and groan...) This is 100% no additive, no topping or casing tobacco and it's very inspiring that someone can make it work.

Purchased From: Wal Mart (how, I wish!)

Similar Blends: Absolutely nothing else..

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (132)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

While I do like the strength of this tobacco, it tastes awful. There is a reason I smoke pipes and not cigars. This stuff smells and tastes like cigars to me. Also, it's so dry that a bowl does not last very long.

I honestly can’t recall smoking a blend that is similar to La Brumeuse. It came to me as part of a sizeable sample from a good friend and was on the dry side, which is the way I like it. The scent is also unlike anything I recall smoking. In the pouch is does smell a lot like certain cigars, however I don’t find LB to taste like a cigar, although there are small similarities. I find when packing LB that it can take quite a bit of this to fill a pipe. The short ribbons will leave a lot of air between them unlike any tobacco I have smoked. The pack is very important and I found myself over packing and more often under packing, leaving the blend to burn very fast (like a lightly packed shag) and hot. The flavor is very earthy, offering little sweetness. When smoked properly, I find LB to be very smooth and very straightforward in flavor. It doesn’t offer much complexity and is a little heavy on the nicotine, but not a knockout. LB is definitely a “niche” blend. I would not recommend it to newer pipe smokers. It was nice to smoke something out of the mainstream, but I don’t see myself looking for more. Kudos to Vincent Manil for bringing something interesting and unique to market.

Easter Egg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Easter Egg (5)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being from Belgium (near Antwerp) myself, the Semois region has long been one of my favourite holiday locations within our country, be it for a longer period in a chalet with the family of for a daytrip alone on my motorcycle. About 200 km away from home, one find oneself in a totally different landscape than the lowlands I live in. (steep hillsides, cut away during millenia by the river, lots of woods, occasional medows and fields with livestock, medieval castles and monasteries... add to that the other language - French instead of Dutch - and you could think you're in a different country alltogether)

Therefore, the Semois tobacco was not uknown to me. First smoking cigarettes, I regularly bought Semois cigarrillos or Senoritas. Since December 2008 i have become a pipesmoker, but hadn't had the chance of revisiting my favourite part of the country until a month or so ago.

On a day trip, I bought the stuff in a shop in Bouillon, and have been enjoying it. The taste and aroma, to me, is almost floral. It delivers quite a nic-kick, true, but I find it endurable. (I am used to smoking medium blends...) Springy ribbon cut and quite dry, needs packing tightly. Very advisable to "smoke-in" a pipe due to these characteristics. If you want to smoke anything else in the same pipe though, you will need about 5 pipefulls of another tobacco to get rid of The Ghost of the Semois.

More about this fine weed can be found at : http://www.tabac-semois.com, so here's a chance to brush up on your knowledge of French. (if you leave out the hyphen in the webaddress, you access the other artisanal tobacconist in the same small town, by the name of JP Couvert - I will add it once this package is empty)

blueconvoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blueconvoy (2)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

There is only one way for you like this blend...that is if you love cigars. Pack it hard and tight. Burns easy and dry. Its very chocolaty if you sip it slow. Spicy if you puff on it hard. Nicotine pack a punch that would last a few hours. Now it has become my all day smoke. So sometimes i use small and narrow bowled pipes. Smokes best in a cob. Well evrything smokes good ina cob that goes without saying. Thanks to my friend in the army who introduced me to this wonderful blend!

Pipe Used: Everything I got.

Purchased From: smokingpipe

Similar Blends: Cigars.

First off, thanks to all who reviewed this tobacco because with the exception of one reviewer, I found your descriptions to be dead on.

Now for my take on this fine, artisan tobacco -- I find it the closest thing to smoking a fine cigar I have found. I smoke both cigars and pipe tobacco and I've been in search for many years now for a pipe tobacco that bridges the gap to really good cigars. This is it for me. It is dry and smokes rather quickly unless you take great care in sipping it (which is recommended). Slight notes of vanilla but mostly just a really nice earthiness (not dirt!!) that I find reminds me of the pipe tobacco I'd smell as a child.

This is really good stuff and I highly recommend it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Punto Oro

CoffeeManD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoffeeManD (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Not going to reinvent the wheel by rehashing everything that everyone else has said. This is unique (from an American perspective, anyway) and wonderful stuff.

I will say I was a bit put off by the manure/barn/cigar smell in the pouch, as I'm not really a cigar person, but I was prepared for this from reading all the reviews, and that's also where I found the similarities to end.

The flavor, once lit, stays very consistent throughout the bowl, but it does so by continuously alternating among all its different nuances. I get a rich, creamy mouthfeel, with a hint of sweetness. It brought to mind what a fine Swiss milk chocolate would taste like, only with barely any added sugars. I also get the yeasty taste and feel that another reviewer mentioned, as well as lingering hints of the ammonia-like aroma (almost as if the tobacco was left to age in the same room with fine bleu cheese). Then there is a fine, perfume-y aroma peeking in so subtly now and again. La Brumeuse switches among all of these experiences, yet is also all of them at once, as if it is simply my palate attempting to adapt and identify them all, and not the smoke itself actually changing.

Don't you dare smoke this Semois too hot! Not because it will bite, that's a non-issue, but because you will destroy all the delicacy of this fine leaf and turn it into harsh, oily, cigar-y exhaust fumes! It must be treated like the relaxing, pensive smoke it is meant to be.

Highly recommended! Thank you to Vincent and Gaetane Manil for keeping this tradition alive and sharing with the rest of the world, and thank you Pipe Guys, LLC for bringing La Brumeuse to the States!

Pipe Used: Peterson Captain Pete xl21, Eriksen Keystone

Age When Smoked: Fresh (from the pouch, anyway)

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

Similar Blends: Nothing quite like it..

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

Once again I must preface this review with a caveat: I'm an unabashed fan of burley. Typically my tastes run towards a blend of burley and Virginia with something extra. For example C&D Pegasus (burley, Virginia and unflavored black cavendish) and C&D Old Joe Krantz (burley, Virginia and perique). This is a departure from either of those veins but what an interesting departure it is. If La Brumeuse was a cigar it would be a puro. I do know that Tabac Manil does make cigars but I have not had the pleasure of trying one.

With my caveat having been stated I can't recommend this leaf enough, especially to those who are fans of burley. This is a very simple smoke and really runs in taste order like this: earthy (think the smell of mushrooms), vegetal sweetness (like bell peppers), floral, cigar"y" and nutty. There's really no change from the top to the bottom of the bowl but it most certainly is a unique taste that must be tried to be understood. The tobacco itself is quite dry but you get your money's worth in the package because of this. It should also be packed just a bit tighter than normal to slow down the burn and get the most from each bowl. It does burn cool even though it's fast. The nicotine hit is very bearable but at the upper part of medium to full. All in all a wonderful smoke even though it is not complex in the sense of changing taste throughout the bowl but complex in the sense of being unique in taste.

One thing that struck me was the length of time this tobacco has been on the market but not available, in my lifetime at least, to the American market. This has been around since the early 1900's (I think before, but I'm playing it safe on the time frame). This tobacco paired perfectly with my horn stemmed Ropp pipe (courtesy of smokingpipes.com) which is most likely from the early 1900's as well. Images of being stuck in a trench enjoying this pipe were hard to avoid as this may have been the only luxury in the Great War. I suggest you try this tobacco to gain a sense of history and a sense of passion from this great producer in the Ardennes.

Pipe Used: Ropp Bulldog, Northern Briars Liverpool

Age When Smoked: Out of the package.

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Only Semois is like Semois....

benjamin1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
benjamin1 (2)

I will start by saying that this is NOT A NORMAL TOBACCO. And therefore, you can't really compare it to anything else. I will also say that this is one of the greatest smoking experiences I have ever had in my life. If I had one tobacco to bring with me on a desert island, it would be this.

Grown in the Ardennes Region of Belgium, this is a varietal that is found nowhere else in the world. Semois is semois. Similar to burley, but adapted to grow in the nitrogen poor, cold, foggy, Ardennes Valley.

It is sold in a 3.5oz gold-foil-wrapped brick. Upon unwrapping the brick, you will be greeted by a horrifying sight, if you are a seasoned pipe smoker -- the absolute DRIEST tobacco its possible to imagine. Do not worry. This is how it is intended to appear. The aroma is unmistakably cigar-like: fermented, chocolatey, with a slight hint of hay and spice.

You're going to want to pack this tighter than you would normally pack a bowl, and EVEN TIGHTER than that. Manil Semois is so dry that it will go up like gun powder if packed too loosely -- air space is your enemy in this tobacco.

The charring light will show you the animal you're dealing with is different than anything you've ever dealt with. It is quite finicky and requires an entirely different way of thinking while smoking. Even if you have the slowest cadence in the world, you will have to slow down for Semois. But that's okay -- challenges are good in life.

The taste of this tobacco is entirely unique. Distinctly cigar-like, but less intense and MUCH more enjoyable. It's very bold and chocolatey, with a thin dry smoke. It is full flavored, but dry and thin, like a lighter tobacco. On retrohaling, you're greeted with a deep fermented hay quality, with hints of spice and roasted nuts. It's a lovely experience. It will go up like gunpowder if you puff on it -- this is a VERY mindful smoke.

I feel a sort of bias towards this because I like it so much. You might not. It is certainly not for everyone, as reviews on this site might lead you to believe. I highly recommend you give it a shot, just for the sake of experience. It is almost an entirely different form of smoking, that's how truly unique this tobacco is. Seasoned pipe smokers might hate it -- or you might love it. You never know. But do yourself a favor and light up a bowl of Tabac Manil - Pure Semois (La Brumeuse). Even if you hate it, you'll be glad you tried it.

Although it is quite expensive, at $24 for 3.5oz, you end up with quite a lot more tobacco than you'd imagine due to the water content -- or lack thereof. A brick filled a 16 and 32oz mason jar to the brim. Pretty cool.

Pipe Used: 2015 Peterson St. Patricks Day shape 05

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the brick

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Nothing else..

Jeff C. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeff C. (5)

Smoke cigars? We're off to a good start. Like smooth? We're rolin' now. Want a smoke that blows through the bowl on one match and leaves no dottle and a clean pipe? You've found a home. This is burley, in its purest incarnation. Dry, fragrant, crisp, clean, there's no subtle nuances here. A one dimensional trip down tasty lane. The dimension I allude to is one you do not want to deviate from. Is it strong? This is a question of whether or not you appreciate pure tobacco. If your answer is no....then yes, it is strong. If, on the other hand your answer is yes......this is a sublime one component brew, much like a single malt scotch. Like that Scotch, it's to be sipped and savored. It will be served to you dry. Pack it like you're jack hammering concrete. Despite that pack, it will burn at a medium rate and be gone bfore you'd expect. Large pipe or small, it cares little,and if respected, burns irrespective of your smoking cadence. If sipped, you'll be rewarded with all the joy pure burley can offer. It's charms are contemplatively complex. Often back ordered and with good reason, you will find yourself reaching for this stuff again and again.

Pipe Used: Everything

Purchased From: Everywhere

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (78)
Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

According to lore, this straight Burley tobacco derives its flavor from the "terroir" or environment of the Ardennes Valley in Belgium where it is grown. Its taste is best described as that of a sweet Burley, as if hybridized with a bright Virginia, that develops internal flavors delicately when packed tightly and sipped slowly.

Upon opening the brick wrapped in gold paper, the smoker is greeted by a scent of almonds and hay, maybe a hint of amaretto, which are not added flavorings but property of the leaf. As the bowl burns, these flavors develop into other harvest flavors, more like a new harvest than late autumn, full of freshness and the unmistakable fineness of a careful curing.

"La Brumeuse" is cut in a scraggly ribbon cut and very dry, a condition which necessitates careful packing. I do not recommend moisturizing it as there is no need. Smoked in its dry state, it generates voluminous naturally sweet smoke with a taste like a cigar refined into a gentle, wholesome flavor. Soft, creamy, lush and abundant smoke pours out of the pipe and the nutty richness of Burley gives way to an infinite dimension of interior flavors.

While some might shy away from blends that are not blends so much as a single ingredient, the high quality Burley here -- like a sweeter, more refined version of Five Brothers or C&D's Cube Cut Burley -- reveals its many tastes like metaphors, described by most as resembling a sun-drenched crop drying in a bar, with notes of hay and a tea-like fragility. This is a perfect all-day smoke with an enchanting flavor and enough nicotine to create a dreamlike state amidst the clouds of fragrant smoke.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (89)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Interesting but this stuff didn't blow my socks off as for some. Somewhat refined high nicotine air cured leaf that is lightly toasted. It's between robust natural burley and cigar leaf as many have stated. In fact when I opened the packet the bouquet reminded me of the slightly sweet-cigarish smell of a domestic machine made cigar. Smoke wise it's mild in flavor with some harsh elements which is to be expected from leaf like this but not ammoniacal. What I found interesting was a mild, slightly toasted character in the background on slow contemplative puffing. Variations in natural sweetness wave in and out of otherwise strong but austere smoke. Well, this stuff ain't for everybody and I imagine that my 3.5 oz. supply may last a lifetime. If you fancy Five Brothers you may have found something even more profound in this Semois. But, if one likes the traditional lightly cased burley blends, this tobacco is quite a departure and and can't be recommended. It's a totally different animal. A more refined rustic smoke that beckons to a time before the development of flu curing and modern adulterants.

Similar Blends: Five Brothers.

dlawson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dlawson (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

(Originally posted on Reddit in April of 2013)

Leaf: Long ribbons, mostly nut brown in color, with some tans and lighter shades of brown. The leaf is very dry to the touch, which is apparently how it’s supposed to be, although it’s still fairly springy.

Package Aroma: I get a grassy, earthy, almost cigar-like aroma. It has a very raw, natural tobacco smell to it, significantly more so than anything else I’ve smoked.

Taste: the pre-light draw and the first light both present some slightly herbal notes. I’m expecting to tamp and relight after the first match, but the semois stays lit by itself so I run with it. The smoke is smooth and velvety, and the flavors are fairly strong and savory. I think the herbal / floral notes are still there, but they move to the background. It doesn’t taste at all like a cigar, despite the package aroma. All in all, it’s pretty unique and hard to describe, but it’s good. Really good.

However, the semois really shines when retrohaling. I don’t even know how to describe the flavor that comes through when I push the smoke out of my nose—it’s like nothing I’ve ever tasted. The best description I can think of is burnt sweetness, like caramel, mixed with rained-on earth, or something like that. It’s sublime.

Smokability: the tobacco burns really well—it lights and it stays lit. I could probably get through an entire bowl with a single match if I kept up with tamping to keep the ember insulated. Because it’s so dry, it burns quickly, although it never gets too hot and it never bites. And I mean quickly: I packed my first bowl normally and rocketed through it in about ten minutes. Subsequent bowls were packed extremely tight and they lasted about as long as an average bowl would.

One interesting note: the semois leaves my mouth nice and moist, which I’m not used to. Most tobacco leaves me pretty dry, but this one seems to encourage saliva production.

Thoughts: I smoked this out of a corncob, and ended up smoking three bowls in a row, which I never do. It’s a good thing I bought as much as I did—I have two quart-sized mason jars stuffed to the lid and I don’t know how long they’re going to last me if I keep smoking it at this rate. I’ll have to try a briar and see how it behaves.

All in all, this is a fascinating tobacco, like nothing I’ve ever had before. As far as comparisons to other tobaccos, it’s subtler than your average Latakia blend, but that uniquely delicious retrohaling flavor makes it much bolder than a Virginia or even a Va/Per.

update: I've since rehydrated the semois using the old "wet paper towel over a sterile container" method, and it has improved quite a bit. The flavors and nuances are essentially the same, but the tobacco doesn't instantly incinerate upon contact with a flame. I still pack bowls tighter than I would otherwise, but I'm don't have to cram a ton of the stuff in just to get a normal half-hour smoke out of a cob. The end result, of course, is that the tobacco will last me significantly longer; definitely recommended.

Pipe Used: Corcobs

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)

EuroBurley? I'm a Burley lover and I had to try this fine tobacco. It's expensive, dry, and packaged in a bit of an odd way... The Tobacco is compressed into a brick, then wrapped in a heavy foil paper. But there is no glue or actual sealing of the package. I recommend removing the tobacco and packing it into a quart or litre sized glass jar. The cut of the tobacco is similar to Birds Eye as the leaves are cut across so that the smaller veins form bird's eyes. In the entire 3.5 ounce brick I found only two smal woody bits, so the actual quality is very good. Brick note: delightful, sweet humidor just opened.

This dry tobacco lights very easily, smokes fairly quickly and is best tamped aggressively for flavor. Flavor is unique; not dark burley, not light burley, somewhere in between with a slightly sweet grassy taste. Another reviewer mentioned turkish hints and I have to agree. La Brumeuse is the best straight Burley that I've ever smoked and it is quite enjoyable as a simple, strong tobacco. Strength is almost strong; too strong for me to call medium. Goes great with coffee and pale beer. I have to give this one four stars for quality and uniqueness, but don't splurge on this if you don't care for Burley.

Pipe Used: MM GREAT DANE SPOOL Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh bulk/brick

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake #2 (mildly similar).

Jon Guirguis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jon Guirguis (1)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Intro: The one undeniable thing about La Brumeuse is that it is unlike any tobacco I have ever packed into the bowl of a pipe. Vincent will proudly tell you that his tobacco is a completely natural, rustic tobacco containing no additives whatsoever, and he isn’t bluffing. It has no casings, top dressings or humectants. It’s grown and picked by the farmers and then aged, roasted, cut and packaged by Vincent. That’s it.

Aroma: The "tin" aroma of Semois is the most pleasent I've ever smelled. Delicate, floral and surprisingly complex. Dried lavendar is easily identifiable for me, as is a gerneral herbal note and a noticeable cigar leaf undertone. When breathing in a bit more deeply, the leaf gives off a slightly musty "wet forest floor" note that begins to feel like it is the underyling basis of the leafs overall aroma. As you reach your hand into the jar and pick up a pinch, you’ll notice how dry this leaf is. In fact, it’s the driest tobacco I’ve ever had, and it’s meant to be that way. It definitely has to be packed QUITE tightly or else you’ll puff through it in about 10 minutes and have an ungrateful tongue afterwards.

Flavor: The meat of La Brumuese is simply put as a rustic tobacco leaf flavor, with very apparent dried floral and herbal notes that are very pleasing. The aroma carries over quite nicely to the flavor. It’s a strong one, too, with a fairly high nicotine content that you’ll feel in the back of your throat (nothing too crazy though). Throughout the bowl, the flavors deepen and intensify and its unique character really shines. Vincent’s Semois can be difficult to manage, especially for a beginner, but if packed correctly, it won’t require much attention and often burns right down to the bottom without a relight. You won’t be puffing on this one quite as long as other blends. I went through a full bowl in about 20 – 25 minutes.

Conclusion: I have to have a steady supply of La Brumeuse on hand. It is unlike anything else out there, truly. Vincent's Semois is such a refreshig blend in both its story and flavor and is easily one of if not the best pure leaf tobaccos out there!

Note: I've yet to try it, but I think La Brumeuse would REALLY shine in a double chambered pipe. Will update once I give it a try.

Purchased From: The Pipe Guys

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (34)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I recently started smoking this tobacco, having throughly enjoyed Windals Semois.

I find this one less harsh and slightly sweeter. As with my previous semois experience, this is an earthy and cigar like tobacco that is straight forward, fast burning and very enjoyable.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (158)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

La Brumeuse is the best Semois that I have tried so far. Smells like it's coming from a barn, a dry manure with dried flower leaves. It has an earthy, robust flavor it's a ''terroir" tobacco. The peat like aroma is tempered by some floral notes. It burns very smoothly and is better enjoyed slowly, not only because of the stength but also because of the underlined flavors of hay and leather. The perfect cigar leaf taste while still remaining a pipe tobacco. Pure tobacco from artisan craftsmen, from people that obviously like what they do. It's a rare experience nowadays, one I will indulge very often.

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

It seems like everyone is scared to buck the trend. This stuff was very disappointing. The moniker one dimensional is misleading. This stuff is not enjoyable, period. I will try it again in a cob and I will age half of it in a jar for a year or so, but for something with so much hype attached, I couldn't even find a glimpse of what the other reviewers allude to. To me this tastes like a bad cigar, ashy, dry leaves and dirt. If that's your nirvana, go for it.

I did follow all the advice on the boards and in previous reviews. However, sipping slowly did not ellicit even a hint of smokable enjoyment. This is the first pipe I've refused to finish in a long time.

Pipe Used: Westbrook Squat Bulldog

Purchased From: Pipe Guys LLC

Similar Blends: Dirt, Burning Leaves, Burning Tires.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

Smoking Semois is a unique experience that I struggle to describe.

Opening the paper package, the 'tin note' is that of cow manure. Manure that has been in the sun for a week. With some wildflowers in the background. The 'room note' also reminds me of manure with a sickly sweet undertone. You might want to try this one outside.

The tastes are consistent throughout, but there is enough to keep me interested. It is anything but boring. The floral aromas are fascinating to those of us who more commonly smoke English blends or Virginias.

It goes well with port. There is more than enough nicotine.

Yes, it is drier than mass market blends, but it is not overly dry, not like it has been left out in the open air. This is 100% natural, no humectants, no casings or toppings, no propylene glycol.

It really is like nothing I've ever smoked. The more I smoke it, the more I love it. A big taste of Belgium! Can't wait to try it with a Trappist ale!

Pipe Used: Small Straight Billiard

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Thepipeguys.com

dgw pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dgw pipe (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Vincent Manil's La Brumeuse Semois has become my favorite tobacco. It seems to be everything I have been looking for in a pipe tobacco since I first took up the pipe in 1999.

My jar is now ten months old. I noticed a substantial improvement at 8 months and am greatly looking forward to the one year mark and beyond.

I also have jar of the Reserve du Patron (medium cut) which is now six months old. I find that I prefer the La Brumeuse (thick cut). It is quite amazing what a difference the cut makes.

After ten months, when I open the jar, I am greeted with musty wet earth, soft honey, fennel, and jasmine fragrances, these translate beautifully into the fragrance and flavor of the smoke provided the pipe is packed very tightly and sipped very slowly.

This tobacco lights easily with one match and can be smoked straight to the bottom of the bowl without any relights leaving only a fine white ash.

The first few minutes of the smoke are spicy like a serano chilli pepper, complimented by floral fragrances reminiscent of green thai curry. After a short while, the flavors settle down and the smoke becomes soft and creamy, sweet, honey, fennel, jasmine, with a wonderful undertone of wet earth and mist. Which continues to the bottom of the bowl.

This tobacco pairs amazingly with Baochong, as it would with any oolong tea with floral or honey notes. This tobacco beautifully compliments the Spring fragrances in my backyard garden rich with fresh mown grass, sweet peas, and jasmine.

I imagine that La Brumeuse would also be lovely with gin and tonic or red wine. The perfect Spring, and I would imagine also Summer, smoke, it would also be lovely in Fall or Winter due to the musty notes. Somehow this tobacco--for me--seems perfect any time night or day, or during any season due to the many flavors and aromas it exhudes.

Like a good strong cup of oolong tea, it leaves the palate feeling fresh with a slight lingering astringency on the tongue--like applying some bracing witch hazel to the face after a shave.

Semois leaves a pleasant aftertaste of honey, fenol, and toasted rice/cereal which is delicate and not at all overpowering. For me this is a big plus as many (not all) tobaccos leave an aftertaste that I don't particularly care for or my tongue feeling scorched or abraided.

Yesterday, I was smoking Reserve du Paton across the street from where I work and was complimented by a fashionable lady on how good it smelled--so it wins points for being pleasing to passers by as well.

Pipe Used: Bruyere St. Claude Dux Depose Billiard

Age When Smoked: 10 Months

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Tabac Manil - Reserve du Paton.

TomJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TomJ (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

For purchasing, I have to recommend any shops in Belgium. LCDH in Knokke has them for the half the US price which I think is appropriate for these. US shops are ripping you with double the should be price.

My opinion for this tobacco is that it is indeed a Burley, the kind of leaf that is called "Black Tobacco" or Brun in Europe, but this one is in the milder side in flavor and strength with additional mild hints of flair to them which I guess is from the noted soil that makes them part from other black tobaccos. I get bread and floral notes as the base, occasional pepper a very little sweetness and a little nutty notes. I am a cigar smoker ( Havana Nicaraguan Dominican etc, "Wet" cigars that is) too and I have to deny any resemblance to any "Wet"cigar I have smoked. Italian cigars are made with Kentucky so they do have similar characteristics but they are much stronger and richer, Indonesian or dutch "Dry Cigars" could be the closest to this Semois, not in character and flavor, but in body and the whole experience . I have noticed that Semois are also made in cigar forms as done by Mr.Manil and other producers so that would be nice to try soon.

Many tobaccos are essentially Burley, Kentucky, Perique etc being the most known and also the European black tobacco or Brun are Burleys and they have high nic content but the lack of sugar compared to Virginias make the "Felt" nic level low and this Brumeuse is in my opinion Mild-Med in strength and body.

I would recommend this one to Burley Kentucky and Brun lovers for a mild change of pase. If you are new to black tobacco and let down by the mild body, I recommend you look for French Scaferlati and St.Claude(tobacco), Italian pipe tobacco like Forte Comune or even Italia which has more body and is richer.

One negative note is that it is said recommended to smoke in the dry state that they come, but while the flavors are fine the burn is occasionally violent with small sparks caused by tobacco stems burning. I would have to try them in a increased humidity level to see if that settles without altering the flavor or look threw for stems and get rid of them.

Pipe Used: St.Claude, Dunhill Innertube, Danmore

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes, LCDH Knokke

Similar Blends: Scafelati, Italia, Comune.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (101)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

I often look forward to unique tobaccos—and Pure Semois is certainly that, unique. First off, the tobacco came very dry out of it's wonderfully retro package. So dry, it crunched! Upon lighting, the taste of this baccy was simply outstanding. This one was like a cross between a robust cigar and a cup of strong nutty coffee with a splash of 90% cocoa. An awesome taste, but, sorry to say, way, way, way to strong for me. I love burleys, and this one's a good burley, but I hate gettin' kicked in head with nicotine. So, for me, this gave me a four star taste with a one star smoking experience—it verged on making me nauseous!

I suspect this blend will make a good blender, especially for blends that need a boost in the nic department, and, I'll experiment with that in the future, but, in and of itself, I'll not smoke it again.

I wish this one had much less of a kick to it, if it did, I'd like it a lot more.

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (50)

Earthy, natural, clean tasting..

I sought out a pack of this after reading about Semois on a forum. Pipes & cigars had this brand so I decided to give it a shot. Its quite pricey but after reading how its grown, processed and packed on one farm I paid the premium for the artisan factor. I found it worth it and I'm glad I bought it.

Appearance: This comes in the pack you see above wrapped in foil. Upon opening the foil you find a rough chunky cut tobacco. It arrives bone dry and this is its intended state. I was expecting this and though I generally prefer my tobacco on the more humid side I did not try to rehydrate. It smells like plain natural tobacco.

Packing: I have read that this should be packed very tight and found that to be good advice. This very dry tobacco will burn very quickly if not. Don't be afraid to really cram it in the pipe.

Smoking: La Bremeuse takes to flame very easily due to its dry state. 1 light and tamp and its unlikely you will need to relight at all. I can only describe the taste as pure tobacco. It reminds me very much of Cotton Boll. Natural pure tobacco taste. Very easy to smoke and you must watch your puffing cadence or you will overheat it. I don't think this will bite, but if you over puff it you'll ruin the taste. Its to be sipped slow. When smoked properly you will be rewarded. Pure natural enjoyable smoke. Taste "clean" Some people report that Semois has a cigar taste. I dont get that flavor however. Flavor is consistent all the way to the bottom. This is a one dimensional smoke that will please Burley fans but that may turn some off. Don't look for complexity here you wont find it. It will burn down to a dry ash with no dottle. This could be a good blender if you're trying to improve the burning characteristics of another blend. Natural tobacco room note that I doubt will win you many fans but for me its fine. As for Vitamin N I'm basically immune fwiw..

Conclusion: Pure, clean, natural burley taste. Don't look for a huge heady complex smoke its not here..If you're not a Burley fan don't bother. Worth trying.

Oh one more thing, People say Semois could ghost a briar but I dont see how that could happen..its just natural tobacco. Theres no strong flavors here. Perhaps thats other brands??

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh package

Similar Blends: Cotton Boll though not nearly as strong..

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (178)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Like some of my favorite John Patton blends, this tobacco is quite dry but still smokes perfectly. Talk about getting your money's worth! The overall flavor is very reminiscent of what you would find in a decent Connecticut wrapper cigar.

When lit there are a few delicate spice notes along with an ammonia laced, "hay in the barn" like aroma. La Brumeuse burns quick, but somehow it manages to remain incredibly cool. Tongue bite just isn't in the cards here but this Semois does have some impressive strength. There's enough nicotine at play to give my mouth a good tingle and my throat a right quick lump. It's rustic, earthy, almost devoid of sweetness, but still quite flavorful and almost unlike anything else I have ever smoked. It does share some common traits with strong burley blends like G&H Dark Birdseye, but Manil La Brumeuse Semois is different enough to stand on its own when compared to most stout American or British burley offerings.

It’s difficult to find fault in something so strong, flavorful & pure but I do overall have a preference for sweeter and more complex tobaccos. Now that my curiosity for this exotic pipeweed is satisfied, I don't think I will pursue it any further. There's no doubt about it, La Brumeuse is good. But knowing my preferences I just wouldn't smoke this tobacco very often. However, I am very happy to have had the pleasure of sampling it.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

...Nothing quite like it...you bet! A first rate tobacco with no flavoring/topping...Very woodsy, leathery, and an interesting cigar leaf quality that I find compliments the underlying chocolate/floral notes...

I hydrate a little bit and find it smokes better that way...a good nic kick for those seeking such. A bit stout for an all-day smoke but a solid choice in the afternoon/evening.

Truly a one-of-a-kind tobacco and worthy of a try for those seeking artisan pipe tobacco...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: any group size 4 and above

Age When Smoked: 3-6 months

Purchased From: pipe guys

Pierre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pierre (14)

"Tin" / bag note - Cigar leaf, pasture (hay, sweet grass, "gaminess").

Moisture - None, bone dry.

Pipe - Meerschaum

Lighter - Zippo

Smoke spot - Balcony, no wind, 64 F.

Smoke speed - Quickly and HOT, packed tightly.

Flavor - Much like a nice oily maduro, but equally as earthy as it is floral. A slight hint on the puff of "gaminess" is the best way to describe it, or to contradict two flavors, a clean manure. Earthy and grassy.

Overall Impression: 10/10 my favorite tobacco thus far, I've had a variety of aromatics, englishes, va's, vapers, many more, and none are like this or similar. If you like a very down to earth, literally, cigar-like flavor, this is for you.

Value - Highly recommended, $25 for 3.5 oz/100 g is well worth the artisanal beauty and incomparable flavor that you get.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: The Pipe Guys

Similar Blends: Cigar leaf.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (65)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

2014-03-23: Started putting a dent into my brick from The Pipe Guys last week, and this stuff is still enchanting.

It's a completely natural, very dry burley. That's it. The tin note, while interesting, won't blow you away. But the room note and flavors are one of a kind. Also very easy, despite a healthy nicotine level; this won't sit on your tongue for two days like a good Lat blend will.

2014-01-17: I have only smoked one bouchon from Manil via transAtlantic mail (it was amazing), but just a heads up -- La Brumeuse goes on sale in the U.S. on Jan 20th thru Pipe Guys, LLC website. (Don't know why I'm telling you this... ;))

Reviews below capture it well. Semois = floral and terroir. Really unique and enjoyable stuff.

Pipe Used: MM

Similar Blends: JP Couvert.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

Excellent Kentucky tobacco produced only in Belgium.

No additives and no casing/topping. This tobacco is broad cut and a bit on the dry side (as it has no additives. But it is the way it is smoked and does not lose on the taste qualities at all.

The taste is very unique, earthly, leathery, spicy, woodsy notes throughout the bowl. Very rich and satisfying.

It burns easy, does not bite and tastes great throughout.

The Vitamine N dose is excellent and once finished, I craved for more.

This is tobacco at its best. All semois tobaccos are worth trying for those who seek a tobacco that truly tastes like tobacco.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This stuff is delicious. The leaf smells like a good quality cigar-very earthy and spicy- and it tastes like something very close, and different, to a good habana.

Despite being a coarse cut, it smokes well. You need to fill in your pipe tight because the leaf comes slightly dry. this will allow you to get maximum pleasure from the various tastes this tobacco offers.

If you do stop in Belgium, this is a madatory try!

Schatz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schatz (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

This Semois is a high quality belgian artisanal tobacco, made by Vincent Manil and his wife in Corbion, a small village in the Ardennes, near the Semois river. It comes in large and long springy ribbons, and one could find that it smells like cigars, with a nice herbal touch. No topping or additional flavor, this is natural tobacco. It contains no conservatives and comes in a rectangular paper bag, attention must be paid as concerns the way you stock it. The stuff can easily be found in Belgium.

Packing is very easy, but considering that this semois burn very well, you should pack it tight. Once lit, slow to very slow puffing is necessary, in order to bring out all the underlying notes, which are pretty amazing. Herbal, earthy, smooth, creamy, sometimes spicy, this gives plain-tobacco taste with a burley-like aroma.

The first time I tried this semois, I told to myself that it was the best cigar I ever smoked. It can be compared to Windels Semois Half Grove, but I find La Brumeuse to contain more "terroir". This goes well with a cognac, by the way.

A great natural pipe tobacco which can provide you much enjoyement, and rather unique sensations. Highly recommended !

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The first time I taste this tobacco, I find it really strong and unsmokable ! But you have to smoke it in different way than the other blend. This tobacco burn really well, so you have to tamp it very strongly, and smoke it slowly. And then you will have all the good taste, and you will enjoy it very much !

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (45)

This might be my desert island tobacco. I smoke this pretty much all the time. Its my all day smoke. Firstly, to call it a straight burly is misleading. Thats like calling a Rolex Sea Dweller another dive watch. This is very unique stuff and with a unique taste. It takes a bit of practice Ive found to find the right way to smoke it (for one thing, its very dry and you have to pack it down tightly and Id use a narrow chambered pipe). It can smoke hot if your not careful. But its got a fantastic clean taste, burns down to a nice white ash. And the flavor is more complex than you would ever expect. It can also be mixed (i might be one of ten people in the world who likes Deer Tongue and i mix this with 20% of C&D's Crooner...works well). Anyway, if there were five stars thats what I would give this. Try it...but give it a few bowls before you decide if you like it. It will grow on you.

Purchased From: 4noggins.

Similar Blends: nothing..

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (80)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I moved the contents to jars, and the tin note is a very rich, cigar aroma with a hint of amaretto or perhaps floral notes – hard to tell. But it smells good and it smells like tobacco. Don’t get why reviewers say it is not Burley, because it is unmistakably Burley. The room note is pure Burley. I’m a Burley man and cannot be fooled here.

I like the straightforward Burley taste, never get tired of it. There are better Burleys, to be sure, but this is good and unique. Reminds me of Five Bros but better flavor, less harsh. The taste is earthy, pure tobacco, with an occasional sweet or chocolate note. It is very much like smoking a dry cigar (some are made to be smoked dry).

LB is dry gunpowder and it tends to burn fast and hot, so sip it. If it gets hot it gets harsh. Tamp lightly but frequently. Vincent Manil has stated it should be smoked dry. Having hydrated a bowl slightly, I agree; it loses its character wet. Pack it firmly, not too loosely.

La Brumeuse is good straight (if you like Burley), especially in a cob, and a good mixer. If you like codger Burley or a good cigar, you probably will like this fine, artisanal tobacco grown, processed and packed by the same person with no additives except elbow grease. It smokes down the the darkest-grey ash I have ever seen in a pipe tobacco.

I edited to up Strength to Strong. A couple of bowls in a row can give me heartburn, though the nic kick is not that heavy.

Anxst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anxst (2)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Semois has been called many things, but the one heard most often is "Unique." An unflavored slow cured burley leaf from the Ardennes Valley of Belgium. The tobacco arrived paper dry but springy in a 3.5 ounce cube wrapped in foil.

Initial nose on opening is the faint whiff of cocoa you normally see in good burley, with something else behind it. It reminds me of sun grown Sumatran cigar leaf. A faint mustiness, like in an old attic.

I packed it as tight as I could in my old briar cutty and gave it a light. Initial taste is burley cocoa and earth, with some other subtle things going on. Light and perfumy in some ways. It's less full than a normal burley. It almost reminds me of smoking straight orientals for a moment, then that's gone. There's the cocoa notes, followed by some deeper mustiness, sweetness, and a scarce cigar-like flavor. The wind started to pick up halfway through my bowl, which made smoking this a challenge. It's very dry, and even tight packed it'll go up like gun cotton if you're not slow and patient with it.

Overall, recommended. It's different, in a good way.

Pipe Used: Royal Lancer Cutty

Age When Smoked: Just Opened after ordering

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (65)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very odd and unique. Pure Semois deserves a place in the cellar for fans of a dry earthy smoke. It is always a pleasure to smoke an unadulterated tobacco. The aroma is very faint and vaguely cigar-like with earth and a slight sweetness. The cigar comparison works for me but definitely of the mild Dominican variety not a full bodied Nicaraguan. The overall flavor is toasty and there are notes of chocolate and burley nuttiness. Strength is medium to full with a bit of a kick.

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - White Burley.

EvetsNC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EvetsNC (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Definitely a Burley! I felt the nicotine, and it has somewhat of a cigar/cigarette-ish smell to it (reminds me of the small cigars one can buy in tins). Tastes nutty sometimes, grassy/vegetal most of the time. Very dry right out of the package (although the packaging is barely wrapped around it, so that's no surprise). Burns well when packed properly. I've initially smoked it in two new pipes (new to me, that is; one's an Edward's estate pipe, and one's a clay pipe) so perhaps I'll need to try it in a pipe that is more familiar to me so as to get a better feel for it. In my opinion, it would be nice if the package was smaller, but would be perfect to go in on a brick of it together with someone else and split it. I really wanted to fall in love with this tobacco, as I like the story behind it and am interested in "natural" tobaccos, but I only fell into like. Maybe I'll change my mind with more time, however.

Age When Smoked: <1 year old

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (61)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable

I appreciate that this is a rare chance to sample tobacco with absolutely no additives. But being an artisan product doesn't make it good. Like some artisan cheeses, salumi, and alcoholic beverages I have tried, it is unique in an unappetizing way. It's taste and aroma are much like a cheap domestic cigar (White Owl, to be exact). I've tried it in cobs and briars and found it a bit better in a cob. Best as a quick smoke break while plowing the back 40.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Smell right out of the foil is a big dusty tobacco drying barn. Rich and un-mucked with. Bone dry and tight-packed, but uniform cut and coloration.

Packed a half bowl tightly in my fairly large Doug Erwin Nosewarmer, tamped tightly as per the other reviewers experiences.

Char is cigar leaf upfront in the smell but a taste is less peppery than most, and a slight bit of sweetness. Predominant flavor is of walnuts, perhaps toasted a bit too much. Blend isn't much of a chameleon, I had a fairly tasty bowl from start to finish, a fine flavor indeed, the only change occurring with a zealous few puffs that gave me a slightly bitter (but no bite) taste that calmed when I let my bowl cool.

Room note was "exactly a cigar" as my wife reported.

As I had this bowl after the gym, I really shouldn't report how potent the nicotine kick was but wow... it was like I got smacked in the face by a Chilean Sea Bass. I'm sure after a more relaxing afternoon with some sweet tea or a nice bourbon the hit would have been much more tolerable.

Summary. I don't have much to say on this one that really hasn't already been said. What it lacks in complexity it makes up for in quality, it's rich without being too "thick", it's nutty, but sweeter than most American burleys. I absolutely love traditional burleys and this one will have plenty of space on my shelf. Looking forward to trying it in a cob.

Pipe Used: Doug Erwin Poker Nosewarmer

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Epoch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epoch (2)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been searching for something like this since I went back and recently picked up my old pipe. Years of cigars left me always wanting a bit more creamyness and fullness in the smoke and flavor of a pipe tobacco.

This product delivers! Cream, nuttyness and a touch of earth in every puff. It also makes a perfect commute smoke as it keeps itself lit with just a light tamp now and then. One dimensional? Probably. However, that single dimension is fantastic and usually just what I'm looking for.

It does get a little more bitter and harsh toward the final third of the bowl, but it's relative. The cream and nuttyness is still very pleasant and while I usually knock out a goodly bit of dottle from other blends once the ash taste gets thick, this one burns to a grey ash and I'm left wanting more. Perfect way to end a relaxing smoke!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Small J.J Fox Billiard

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's the same review that I've made some months ago in this site (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3787/tabac-manil-la-brumeuse). So I copy here.

This is the first Semois tobacco I have tried. At first I liked it but not so much. A lot of people say that tobacco is one of the best of his kind (e.a Semois). Then I've tried others. Now I can tell it's not the better I've tasted. I can't say it's the worst (I haven't taste all) but for the moment it's that I liked the less. I don't take pleasure smoking it because of its embittering. It's not overwhelming but not nice so far. Obviously, this is my opinion.

I recommand it because it's considered as one of the better Semois tobacco but if you can't (or don't want to) try a lot of Semois, there is so much tobacco which are better (to me)...

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I generally agree with Pkloop's review, although the taste does remind me of cigars with a Cameroon leaf wrapper. And it does burn up fast; at least 3x faster -- need a quick pipe break? This will do it. I also agree I don't see this ghosting a pipe. No rebuy but I'm glad I tried it.

Pipe Used: MM Legend, various briars

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Medium None Detected Medium Strong

I don't have much to add to what's already been stated about this tobacco in other reviews. I will say it's unique. I've never smoked anything quite like it. I enjoy it. It's a bit monochromatic though. Not something I want to smoke day in, day out. Nice for a change now and then. It does have a somewhat cigar-like smell, but if you're looking for cigar flavor in your pipe, I think you'll be disappointed. It actually reminds me more of French tabac brun cigarettes than a cigar.

Smokes dry and cool if you pack firmly, burns easily and quickly with few relights. A bowl lasts about half the time as most other tobaccos. Don't let some of the other comments deter you from trying it. It's an enjoyable, if somewhat plain and simple, smoke. There is nothing unpleasant about it.

Pipe Used: mostly cobs, a few briars

Purchased From: http://thepipeguys.com

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (134)

Straight up, medium to full, pure tobacco flavor. This thick cut version is smoother and less harsh than the the thinner cut. Also burns a bit slower. The cigar-like similarity is striking. Hints of the the leathery, woody goodness of an Oliva Serie V plus the hint of dry black cherry from a Savinelli Special Selection 2005. Stays pretty much the same through the bowl. More cigar-like on the inhale, more like pipe tobacco on the retrohale. As it burns down, a creamy bittersweet chocolate note dances in and out. I was lucky enough to have a BOTL gift me a jar of this baccy. Thanks Rick! Burns clean and dry on one light. 4*.

Pipe Used: Alpha Executive 35+ years old

Age When Smoked: Jar dated 15-MAR-2014.

Purchased From: The Pipe Guys, LLC