An extraordinary medium English Mixture, full-flavored, cool-smoking for daytime smoking pleasure.

Notes: This is a match for the discontinued Dunhill blend #965.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.4
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Blind test blend #3. This one I guessed correctly, but more by accident than through knowledge. Nice looking dark brown to black blend with a bag aroma of latakia and orientals. Nice zippy, spicy aroma and it had a touch of that McClellands preparation essence so I was thinking McClellands all the way.

But what's this? It tastes quite a bit like Dunhill 965! As I was smoking it, I was imagining what the outcome might be like if McClellands took their stellar batch of virginias and followed the recipe for 965. The two didn't taste identical, and if this was supposed to be an identical match, it doesn't quite pass. But if the intent was to create something reminiscent or sympathetic to 965, it passes in spades! It lacked the Dunhill initial bang of flavor but from there it was close, but again with the McClellands touch. I haven't decided if this will be a suitable substitute because I've smoked so much of the Dunhill that my expectations are kind of set. But it is a worthy effort and stands on its own very well. If you enjoy both Dunhill 965 and the standard-setting virginias of McClellands, this is definitely something you're going to want to sample.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

I bought this blend and afterwards I remember reading that this was similar to Dunhill's 965, (a long story but I never liked D's 965). I had very low hopes for this blend . Upon lighting up , I was thrilled, this is great and a bulk offering to boot . I immediately ordered more , then I thought, "maybe D's 965 is better than I thought", so I ordered some D's965 bulk. Well, here is what I found ; they are similar, but I like the McC 9 to 5 better , however the D's 965 is better than my initial review ( I'll be revising). Anyway, the McC 9 to 5 is smooth , interesting and has a nice Oriental background along with the ample Latakia. I would put the flavor closer to McC Aston Revival Old Dog. Sorry if I confused anyone as my review is like a math quiz !

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: McC's Aston Revival Old Dog and Dunhills 965.

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)

Good all day smoke. Good clean flavor, the Latikia and orentals remind me of a lighter version of nightcap, although much sweeter. Nicotine is medium, good clean burn, and it can be creamy and smooth if sipped at a medium pace. Mclellands has done a fine job with this, great blend.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

McClelland's has hit another one out of the park here. This tastes like the Dunhill 965 of yesteryear! This smells like the old Dunhill. This is better than the one that is being produced for dunhill now. Like others, one thing I did notice about this blend is that it needs time by itself. Open the bag, get some air in it, close it and put it away for about a month. It really does seem to get better. I suspect the different tobaccos just need time to marry with each other. Smooth, warm,nutty, smells like a new leather jacket. The taste lingers just like the old Dunhill and makes single malt scotch taste even better! McClelland keeps on doing it right!

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Extraordinary was the first adjective in the product description and I couldn't agree more. It is also very well balanced. MC reports this to be a replacement for MM965 however I find it has more in common with the original Balkan Sorbranie. Rich, creamy and complex.

I'm going to be aging tins prepared from a large bulk order - I suspect that these fine ingredients will age very well. Particularly since this has no ostensible casing other than what the VA cavendish brings to the party and it is so well balanced.

With all its strength, it has no harshness or bitterness. It also holds my interest through large bowls and relights are a dream even after a few hours.

Nicely done.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)

I have never had Dunhill's 965, though I have smoked Orlik's version. I do like the Orlik blend,though I find it bites some. 925 is a much better smoke(IMO) with no bite at all. Now that my smoke shop carries this it will be a main smoke for me. So far I haven't been let down by McClelland at all.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

An outstanding compilation and better than the Orlik #965 by a country mile (IMO). Depth of flavor, strength and well selected prime Latakia and Orientals combine to make Nine 2 Five sing.

Take the old Balkan Sobranie and toss in a good measure of unsweetened Black Cavedish and you have Nine 2 Five. Well done, McClelland's!

umm_bacon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
umm_bacon (12)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Another blend that I have purchased early on my pipe journey. I think that the Cavendish is a bit too much in this blend. I think that it is a bit too sweet. I have not tried the Dunhill original, and honestly I am not sure that I would stand it line or pay to try it anyway. This is not my cup of tea, but it is by no means bad. I will keep coming back and see what happens down the road.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

No previously reviewed blend has given me so much trouble coming up with suitable commentary. As a Dunhill MM 965 smoker of some-28+ years and one not able to even enjoy the Orlik version now, I was extremely intrigued by as company of McClelland's reputation boldly stating they had a match. Nothing less, a match is claimed.

When 9-2-5 was first listed here as a new blend I first became aware of its existence. My B&M being a huge McClelland house I emailed them asking if they intended to stock it. The immediate reply was in the affirmative. A week later I received email notification that it had arrived. I forthwith powered down my PC and headed out the door to buy a sample. I was greeted at El Fumador with a full jar of this bulk blend, a jar which readily admitted my probiscus for my first whiff. Yes, it was faintly like MM 965. I was encouraged and purchased a 4 ounce "sample", immediately loading a large billiard with the tobacco right then and there, the tobacco being pack ready for moisture. It had NONE of the McClelland signature and infamous "capsupization" topping - a big plus for me. At first light I was struck with a blend that was far sweeter than MM965 (which I attribute to McClelland's Cyprian Latakia which always seems sweeter than I like) and far, far saltier. The famous MM965 "creaminess" was lacking. However I reserved my judgment.

For the next week I smoked at least one bowl a day for this sample. Always the same experience greeted me - too sweet, too salty, no mellow, creamy body. This was MCCLELLAND - I did not expect a turkey. Something was amiss for sure. As I proceeded through this first week I found that a about 1/2 bowl one became aware that the was is no nicotine lightweight (which is fine), but at 2/3 bowl I was digging it out of my pipe as it began to turn harsh on me. Not good. I took the remainder of my sample and put it into a small mason jar, put that in my cabinet and forgot about it. Three weeks ago I loaded a bowl form the jar noting a distinct MM965 jar note which was not so evident before. The sweetness was somewhat abated as was the saltiness and I could smoke the entire load through the dottle without a building harshness. Last week I opened the jar and found... a very MM 965 aroma. ??? Hmmmmm...I spent the entire week smoking this exclusively. It now seems very Dunhill-like. Sweetness toned down, saltiest gone, still not as mellow, but, hey, one can't have everything in life. In short this CAN be a 965-Match...if allowed to dry some. This is the only conclusion I can come to.

Had I rated this the first week it would barely have merited a 2 star rating. Now, however, I look forward to smoking this and I give it a solid 3 star rating. This is high on my scale as a 4 means I will definitely repurchase. It might go 4 - time will tell.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)

This is such an interesting tobacco, and I was surprised that it had to be added.

In the bag, 925 smells very much like a VaPer, sweet and earthy, despite the lack of Virginias in the blend. At first light however, I swore I was smoking a burley blend, despite the lack of...well, burleys.

I agree that the Orientals and the Cavendish speak more loudly than the Latakia, which makes it a very one-dimensional blend. It's tasty, but nothing that will make you do cartwheels around the yard. It smokes slow and extremely cool, with no bite or bitterness noted.

925 is the same from the front of the bowl to the finish, making it kind of like the mac n' cheese of pipe tobacco: It's comfort food that you can smoke.

Life goes on Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Life goes on (6)

I requested this as a Sample from Pipes & Cigars with my last order and was pleasantly surprised that they sent me 4 Oz. I remember years ago smoking Dunhill 965 and it was high on my rotation list. "Nine 2 Five" is not as full as the 965 but it is a plesant smoke. The Latakia is lighter then I'd like, the Oriental is good and seems to round things out. All in all a decent blend however I prefer Old Dublin, it is more consistent.