Masterblend of 3 rich tobaccos. Mildly aromatic. Unique blend of mild, satisfying flavors. Blend of flake cuts and Cavendish cuts. Exclusive no-bite formula.

BrandBlender's Gold
1.7
beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Smoking this stuff is perhaps better than not smoking anything at all…but not by much.

This is, at best, an uncomplicated, more-or-less smokeable, mild aromatic. I bought this last year because I didn't have any other option. I'd been out of the country for a year. When I got back, I was forced to spend a couple of months in a city far removed from my cache of pipes and tobaccos. The best I could do was walk to my nearest drug store, buy a cob, and a bag of the only tobacco they had in stock: Blender's Gold Burley and Black.

So this was my go-to blend for a couple months and I did learn a few things about it. It's a ribbon-cut mix of Burley and Cavendish covered with a generous helping of humectant. Freshly opened, the bag has aromas of vanilla, caramel, and a touch of cider vinegar. It's a very mild smoke with a light vanilla and butterscotch quality. The only problem with this is that it tends to be very steamy, even after extended drying. I found that by far my most enjoyable smokes came in filtered cobs, given all that humectant. Nicotine seems disappointingly low.

All-in-all, this isn't a bad tobacco. It isn't a good tobacco either. And the more a smoker has access to good tobaccos, the worse this will probably seem. I've been mixing the remainder of the bag with simple OTC Burleys and it seems to work ok.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The gold cavendish is mild grass and citrus with a drop or two of honey. The black cavendish offers some vanilla. The burley is a little nutty sweet. Sublimating the tobaccos to some extent is a light vanilla and caramel topping, though the caramel is less obvious. The vanilla has a little thinness to the taste. No nic-hit to speak of. No bite. Needs a little dry time, but burns cool and smooth with a consistent flavor, requiring only a few relights. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, but no goop or dottle. Has a pleasant after taste.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (57)

Went into my local drugstore and saw the price on the new tins have increased to roughly $13 where I live, so I'm updating this review. BG is owned by Sutliff. I also learned the leaf used is aged for up to four years. Occasionally Virginia is used for sweetness and presentation, depending on blend. Then the tobacco is smoothed out and top notes are added in the final stages. They recommend no more than a few hours drying time before smoking, but airing out in small batches for an hour also works.Not only do you get a drier smoke, but this aids in bringing out all the wonderful flavors and nuances. Well balanced and smooth with a malty pepperiness that's out front but won't overwhelm. Use this as an all day type. Smoking other blends on the same day with BGBB can be harsh on the tongue. No bite, but the mouth feel and sweetness is akin to the taste of sweet and sour sauce (to its advantage). When you consider that most 3.5 oz tins can run $25 a pop, BG still comes out a winner for the frugal. Adding a pinch more of their toasted cavendish gave this a deeper and somewhat rich character. Highly recommended. Hint, hint: add the BG Maduro cigars to the mix and you get a real nice treat. Other flavors in their line up include Rich Vanilla, Cherry, Toasted Cavendish, Natural and Golden Burley. So don't be afraid to play mad blender with these. The possibilities are endless... UPDATE 2-17-17: I look at TR as an on-going interactive site. That being said, I give updates on experiences with different brands and blends. One, we as pipe smokers must realize that we're in this hobby as a collective group. Two, it would be unfair of me not to alert fellow pipesters of bargain blends. I have some name brands I like. However, with higher taxes on tobacco products, it's nice to have a reserve of OTC leaf in your stockpile. In assessing BGBB, I've found the reason why so many dismiss the BG series: improper preperation. Because these cavendishes have a shelf life they require a certain level of humectants. Drying time before light up is needed. If you like a slightly moister tobacco give it a few hours during the day when you have optimal room temp. Air overnight for a drier leaf. If smoked fresh out of the tin your bowl will be wet and you'll get a bite. If the blend is cool to the touch it's too wet to smoke. When it feels powdery to the touch several hours after airing out, it's ready to go. BGBB is actually a very good mixture. When smoking it should have a barely sweet, malty, buttery and peppery (tingle) feel on the tongue. Pack loose and three quarters full. No char light needed. I swear it tasted like cashews and milk chocolate. Creamy clouds of smoke. Room note is very nice. Finally, don't mistake this for a knock of CB White. This is its own animal and needs to judged by its own merits.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Purchased From: Walgreen's

Similar Blends: Admiral's Choice and Super Value.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is more humectant than tobacco. Almost tastes like the plastic bag it comes in. Somewhat recommended if you are flat broke since it's cheap. I guess I wouldn't toss if if I was stranded on an island by myself but I'd give serious thought to smoking my socks first.

OldTallMike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldTallMike (13)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

After not smoking for a while, I came back to it. Wanted to try a few OTC blends, So I bought Captain Black and A tin of Burley and Black. I hadn't heard or read anything about it yet, so I was only going on the fact that it was a Sutliff blend for Walgreens-kindof had the idea that it would taste like the classic blends I smoked in College-not great, but pleasant. Frankly, To quote Ralph Wiggum "it tastes like burning." Not much else.

Tin note is nice, actually but beyond that it is really devoid of anything. Wanted to like it , as it is in my nature to like old standby's and locally available products. But this falls really short of even mild expectations.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum w/filter

Purchased From: OTC, Walgreens

trbtd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trbtd (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

In the bag it smells artificial and the smoke kind of tastes like plastic (not good). The tobacco has too many additives and it's wet.

Don't buy this.

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Completely flavorless and more humectant than tobacco, this is one putrid mess.

JosephJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JosephJames (10)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I smoke a variety of pipe tobacco. I have no problem with OTC blends if they are good.

This is the most humectant-laden tobacco I have ever encountered. Super Value black Cavendish runs a close second. Not much taste, very mild. Tin note is pleasant and I got chocolate out of it more than anything. Reminds me of chocolate covered cherries that are also sold in the drug store. Room note is pleasant.

Not much here. Like a lot of aromatic tobaccos, the delivery is in the tin or room note. For the person wielding the pipe, there isn't much pleasure in it.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Purchased From: Drug store

smoke screen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke screen (1)
Very Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

It has bite in the back of the throat afterwards, probably from the chemicals they put in this tobacco. It smells good in the can and could be better used as a room scent if put in a fabric pouch and put on a shelf. I will probably do that when I get fed up with it. Perhaps if I put a filter in my pipe it will be less irritating to the back of the throat. It totally fails as a tobacco. The nicotine kick is hard to reach and comes at the bottom of the bowl if you work hard for it. People should be fired over this. I will never buy any of these 3.5 cans again from this company. They don't understand tobacco. How hard can it be? Shred tobacco leaves and put in a can. There is something retarded about this product.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow Duke

Age When Smoked: Mine or the tobacco's? OMG...

Purchased From: Walgreens

Similar Blends: Shavings of a bar of vanilla soap.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Extra Strong

Like tobacco? Then you'll hate this. I didn't think there would be a tobacco that was worse than Paladin. I was wrong. It tastes like rubber and gives off a faint smell of burning blackberry leaves. Actually was afraid it would ghost a cob!

One reason to have a zero star rating.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob and Billard

Age When Smoked: Should be put out its misery.

Similar Blends: Rubber.

keep calm and smoke on Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keep calm and smoke on (1)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

As a quick smoke I recomend this blend. However if you have an evening and want to have a relaxing and contemplative smoke this is NOT for you. The taste is weak and not much like a burley.Its a cheap tobacco, such is what one should expect from a tobacco for the price. I would like to mention one could do better or worse than this blend. When I purchased this blend for the first time it was in the new canned packaging. The canned form is moist and somewhat compacted in the can a quick shake fixes that though. I would recommend to find some prince Albert if you want a stronger flavor than this blend or some Walter raliegh for a stronger smoke.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

The 'light bred' of tobaccos. If it's all you've got then you're glad to have it. The taste is not bad, but once you're not starving any more it gets dull real quick.

The fact that it is completely innuocuous however, does lend it to experimentation if you happen tohave some. And it's cheap enough for the experiments to fail and you won't be out much. I tried casing it using hard candy flavorings with some success. Also if you need to tone down some other tobacco blend it's very good for that. Lacking its own character also means it can dilute an English/Balkan or an aromatic equally well without disturbing the flarov of the other blend.

WyoSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WyoSmoke (4)

Not sure if the blend has changed, but my tin wasn't heavily pg'd. I left out a bit about 30 min and lit it up. Hmmmm pleasant. Mild not much nicotine, really. Nutty, slight sweet maple/ vanilla. Burned fine to the bottom of the bowl. Nice summertime smoke with no bite. I'd buy it again

Pipe Used: MM cob